Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

The scary thing about the rebadging of Torque is it indicates that CFG are an organisation of slow learners.

Not content with fucking up here they are taking the template and will use it to fuck up elsewhere.

Based on that, who knows? Perhaps we’ll see Wazza back in due course?

Methinks you're being generous by using the term "slow learners." "Arrogant" is one word I would use, and the other I prefer not to use in public.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Methinks you're being generous by using the term "slow learners." "Arrogant" is one word I would use, and the other I prefer not to use in public.

Not arrogant, just a dictatorship. But credit to them in believing and sticking to their business plans.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not arrogant, just a dictatorship. But credit to them in believing and sticking to their business plans.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I don’t think you should get credit for sticking with a failing idea.

Rather you should get it for admitting you were wrong and adjusting.

That's just me though.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

That's just me though.

Have you ever heard a dictatorial regime admitting to any wrong doing?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

That's just me though.

Actually I would disagree about being a failing idea.

CFG and their buisness model is worth US $4.8billion and increasing. 

From our perspective its a bad idea but from head office it makes complete cents.

• Like 3

Just now, Jovan said:

From our perspective its a bad idea but from head office it makes complete cents.

I also think you could argue that they've learnt their lessons here in terms of how they implemented the changes and what they would and wouldnt do when applying the rebranding at their other clubs tbf.
In many respects we were the guinea pig being the first club they acquired and tookover (NYC was a start up club, they didnt have a 'history').

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hanz said:

I think even if a club is a startup they should be trying to create relevant identities whilst playing the CFG connection. I think it’s easily done eg. NYFC being orange, it’s badge is actually very NY.

And NYC does not have an all-sky blue home kit for every match. I've seen a number where they were predominantly in grey. 

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Well you’re right in the big picture but my instinct tells me the value of CFG isn’t going up because of Melbourne City.

Given their overall success fuck ups in irrelevant back waters probably don’t get noticed much, especially when they don’t fit the script. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Well you’re right in the big picture but my instinct tells me the value of CFG isn’t going up because of Melbourne City.

Given their overall success fuck ups in irrelevant back waters probably don’t get noticed much, especially when they don’t fit the script. 

I don't think the value is going up because of football much at all. My impression is that CFG is morphing away from football into a business conglomerate.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, haz said:

I'm sure they weren't breaching any FFP by sending all those cheap duds down to us.

Well its more than Simon Peirce who is now heavily involved in the aleague was right in the thick of it.

TBF I dont think the aleauge is in any position atm to make a principled stand anyway

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

My source has said there will be serious funding cuts regarding club staff and inevitably the players as the club is simply losing far too much money every year. Some of the numbers being quoted that these guys are paid for incompetence is sobering. 

Right, throwing the towel......I wonder if they actually look in the mirror or just blame the Australian football landscape. Succes was never going to be easy with average visa and marquee players. 

2 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

My source has said there will be serious funding cuts regarding club staff and inevitably the players as the club is simply losing far too much money every year. Some of the numbers being quoted that these guys are paid for incompetence is sobering. 

Shouldn't the finger be pointed at the people who appointed these so-called incompetents in the first place?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well we’re far more fun to watch when we’re on a shoestring budget so I look forward to budget cuts. I think the money has brought complacency and a sense of ‘we’re going to dominate the league sooner or later so there’s no rush.’
On a side note, I moved this weekend and came across the red, white and you 2010/11 yearbook. The shots of the terrace really make you wonder what’s missing now. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Bring back the ice bins. In all seriousness, I reckon the club is bleeding money through the use of AAMI too.

I suspect it’s more to do with that we have around 50 back office staff in Melbourne alone, many CFG workers. In the Heart days we ran the office the office with 10 staff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I suspect it’s more to do with that we have around 50 back office staff in Melbourne alone, many CFG workers. In the Heart days we ran the office the office with 10 staff.

I seem to recall that when CFG/Manchester City bought Heart that the Bundoora base was also intended to handle all matters connected with CFG's expansion into East Asia - specifically China.

Now that CFG has both Chinese investment and a club in China (and with Scott Munn as Chief Executive of CFG China) it doesn't surprise me that downsizing should and will occur at Bundoora as various functions are transferred to China itself.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2020 at 6:36 PM, Bob Latchford said:

So with the potential of 5 visa players outside the salary cap next year we get the news from a reliable source about funding cuts regarding players 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

So with the potential of 5 visa players outside the salary cap next year we get the news from a reliable source about funding cuts regarding players 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Well seems like it's more the staff side of things.

They won't go crazy but having them outside the cap would allow us to keep players like Bart and still add Castro level quality like Florin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

When our team comes through this, and the league gets going again,  which it will,  the connection between the club and its supporters will be stronger, and more meaningful for the future. 

From the CEO 

++++++++

Dear City Family,

I wanted to write to you personally following the League announcement yesterday.

We are in an uncertain moment, all of us facing decisions and challenges in every part of our lives that we never would have dreamt we would have to make.  It’s at times like this that we are reminded of what being part of a football family truly means.

The incredible messages of support from so many of you have hammered home exactly what the true purpose of our Club is. In the midst of all of this, you have sent amazing messages of congratulations to the women's team, you have offered to volunteer, you have asked how you can support other fans and shared messages of solidarity with staff and players. More than ever, we have all been reminded that we are part of the most passionate and connected community.  For our part, we are going to continue making sure that you are connected more than ever to this community and have access to the sport that connects us, in whatever ways we are able to do that.

We therefore want to hear from you and continue to have important conversations. You can help us to understand how we can serve our community and help out our loyal fans. All suggestions are welcome on how we can communicate better, stay in regular touch or help out those who are more vulnerable in our community.  Please email them to; info@melbournecityfc.com.au and please keep an eye on our social media and website to see these ideas come to life over the coming days and weeks.

I also know how hard the team at the FFA and the Leagues HQ are working to keep everyone updated on the current changes across the football and sporting landscapes. We haven’t given up hope on the season continuing and the goal at this stage is to reschedule games as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so. The FFA will continue to review the situation over the coming weeks and conduct a further assessment of the current season's status on 22nd April.

In light of the postponement, I want you to know we are working through any potential impacts this could have on your membership and will provide you with further clarification after the next FFA update on 22nd April.

Take care of one another, look after your loved ones and be kind to each other. Together we can get through this and we will come out the other side a stronger and more connected football family.

Thank you once more for your fantastic support, we are all so grateful.

Regards,

Brad Rowse

Chief Executive Officer
Melbourne City Football Club

Edited by Torn Asunder

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

How can they possibly continue (I received the e-mail too). Gatherings of more than 2 are banned - how can training even take place? FFS these sporting bodies need to get real.

The season is over.

Personally im happy for them to take the last couple of payments. I know the CFG cloud looms over us, but as a whole sports clubs need our support now more than ever if they are to come out the other side.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Personally im happy for them to take the last couple of payments. I know the CFG cloud looms over us, but as a whole sports clubs need our support now more than ever if they are to come out the other side.

Oh, it's not the payment that fusses me. It's the delusion that the season will continue in the foreseeable future.

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Oh, it's not the payment that fusses me. It's the delusion that the season will continue in the foreseeable future.

Tbh i think that's just the spin to continue to charge it and keep the money coming in. In saying that im sure the club will be more than happy to refund anyone that requests it, but many wont bother or care too.