Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

I'm still trying to figure out what the Tards identity is other than they were the first Melbourne club to get a license and were fortunate that FFA/FFV had a stake in them initially and were able to use their database of players to recruit fans. 

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, mus-28 said:

I'm still trying to figure out what the Tards identity is other than they were the first Melbourne club to get a license and were fortunate that FFA/FFV had a stake in them initially and were able to use their database of players to recruit fans. 

Is the fact that they are massive cunts also part of their identity?

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mus-28 said:

As far as I'm concerned we're the only club that has an identity. Ours is the only club that actually has a formal link to the city in our name, our badge being a taken from the Coat of Arms of the City of Melbourne according to a formal agreement between the club and the City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 07/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, haz said:

My favourite, forget who made this. Might have been you?

Opr8Wj0.jpg

Yeah I whipped that up. Even without the red, the sky blue and white stripes makes a shite load more sense than what we have now. Here is hoping one day we can make it happen

38 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah I whipped that up. Even without the red, the sky blue and white stripes makes a shite load more sense than what we have now. Here is hoping one day we can make it happen

I'd be happy if no red on the sleeves, but keep the heart

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Unfortunately I don't think CFG realise that it's "little things" like this that turn supporters on or off. When you treat an entity as a business then it is very easy to forget the emotional side of things, and supporting a football club is very largely emotional rather than rational. Even in industry you see this time and time again - for example, senior executives talking about a factory closure in business terms and seemingly forgetting about how employees actually feel.

Regrettably I can't see us reverting to red-and-white unless we see a quantum shift in the way senior people in CFG actually think. And I don't see that happening any time soon. However, IMO we should keep the pressure on in any way we can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Unfortunately I don't think CFG realise that it's "little things" like this that turn supporters on or off. When you treat an entity as a business then it is very easy to forget the emotional side of things, and supporting a football club is very largely emotional rather than rational. Even in industry you see this time and time again - for example, senior executives talking about a factory closure in business terms and seemingly forgetting about how employees actually feel.

Regrettably I can't see us reverting to red-and-white unless we see a quantum shift in the way senior people in CFG actually think. And I don't see that happening any time soon. However, IMO we should keep the pressure on in any way we can.

Not just the red and white is it?

Aside from that, the widespread adoption of navy in most training equipment and merchandise is selling your soul stuff, yet the club seems oblivious to what they are doing.

Then they wonder why we watched Aloisi but refused to rock up for Joyce.

12 minutes ago, citypool said:

I hate that laugh button 

Was well used in this case.

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Don’t make fun of me for this but david Silva’s contract is running out at Manchester city if we make acl you think there’s any chance he could come to us for a season?

Would be nice. He’s exactly the kind of player that would bring in fans and help us win silverware. I suppose it could happen but the chances are remote. The City connection helps. Maybe in another few years when he’s 36. 

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Would be nice. He’s exactly the kind of player that would bring in fans and help us win silverware. I suppose it could happen but the chances are remote. The City connection helps. Maybe in another few years when he’s 36. 

I've read somewhere that he has stated many times he wants to finish his career at his local team in Spain, couldn't name it off the top of my head. 

3 hours ago, citypool said:

Don’t make fun of me for this but david Silva’s contract is running out at Manchester city if we make acl you think there’s any chance he could come to us for a season?

He's in talks with Vissel Kobe. Would be a replacement for David Villa, who's retiring at the end of the Japanese season.

• Like 1

Just a run down of clubs in the CFG stable (except for ManCity), their badges and colours. All clubs except NYC existed before the CFG buy-in.

Torque became a CFG club in 2017 but it carried the light blue colour since its beginning in 2007 - a nod to the Uruguayan national team colour. Torque appears not to have a club badge.

Apart from Melbourne City, the other clubs have remained largely faithful to their pre-CFG home strip colours.

49070199553_77d308c243_h.jpg

11 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Just a run down of clubs in the CFG stable (except for ManCity), their badges and colours. All clubs except NYC existed before the CFG buy-in.

Torque became a CFG club in 2017 but it carried the light blue colour since its beginning in 2007 - a nod to the Uruguayan national team colour. Torque appears not to have a club badge.

Apart from Melbourne City, the other clubs have remained largely faithful to their pre-CFG home strip colours.

Very jealous at the Girona kit setup!

• Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 9:01 PM, HEARTinator said:

This is Torque's badge:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Escudo_CA_Torque.png

(not linking directly to the file as the image is huge)

Also worth pointing out that Torque and Yokohama played in their current colours before CFG took them over, so that's not part of any CFG redesign. I thought CFG had given up on changing club colours so was slightly disappointed to see Girona step out in blue away kits, though at least there's no sign that they plan to change the home strip. I think they've had their fingers burned on changing club identity too much now.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Falastur said:

This is Torque's badge:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Escudo_CA_Torque.png

(not linking directly to the file as the image is huge)

Also worth pointing out that Torque and Yokohama played in their current colours before CFG took them over, so that's not part of any CFG redesign. I thought CFG had given up on changing club colours so was slightly disappointed to see Girona step out in blue away kits, though at least there's no sign that they plan to change the home strip. I think they've had their fingers burned on changing club identity too much now.

Totally agree.

If ever there was a time to revert back to the original you'd think now would be it.

Bit like the introduction of the new pizza shapes flavour. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Totally agree.

If ever there was a time to revert back to the original you'd think now would be it.

Bit like the introduction of the new pizza shapes flavour. 

To be honest, once they'd committed to it it I think there was no going back.

I can't see CFG making such a public backflip. And to be honest, just like people were/still are attached to the red and white, who knows how many people have jumped on during the City era and would be displeased in the club changing that kit colour. Also, as far as comparisons to other clubs in the CFG group, Manchester, New York and Melbourne seem to be the main trio of clubs they promote/push.

Personally, I'd like to see the club adopt white/sky blue stripes. I think that would be a sound compromise between the two eras, and it would also give us a nice point of difference from the other CFG clubs.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Embee said:

To be honest, once they'd committed to it it I think there was no going back.

I can't see CFG making such a public backflip. And to be honest, just like people were/still are attached to the red and white, who knows how many people have jumped on during the City era and would be displeased in the club changing that kit colour. Also, as far as comparisons to other clubs in the CFG group, Manchester, New York and Melbourne seem to be the main trio of clubs they promote/push.

Personally, I'd like to see the club adopt white/sky blue stripes. I think that would be a sound compromise between the two eras, and it would also give us a nice point of difference from the other CFG clubs.

Silly in my view. 
might as well stay with Sydney colours if they were going to do that. 

Not to mention the whohar they raise by playing in the original Melbourne City colours.

The radio news covered a piece this morning about Melbourne Victory’s council struggles to get their academy and training ground approved in Footscray. It was mentioned that the Victorian government is giving them 10million towards their facility!

Did we receive that too?

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

The radio news covered a piece this morning about Melbourne Victory’s council struggles to get their academy and training ground approved in Footscray. It was mentioned that the Victorian government is giving them 10million towards their facility!

Did we receive that too?

I doubt that we received a cent. We probably didn't bother to apply. The whole business of selective government grants to sporting bodies and clubs needs transparency and accountability.

12 hours ago, belaguttman said:

We shouldn't be subsidising foreign Government owned clubs with taxpayer money

Right okay.

But if you give one private franchise money to build a facility shouldn’t you give all clubs the benefit of this fund?

The proposed facility cost reportedly 18mil.

Edited by Mr MO

39 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Right okay.

But if you give one private franchise money to build a facility shouldn’t you give all clubs the benefit of this fund?

The proposed facility cost reportedly 18mil.

Bela has a point.

Actually, Melbourne Victory is the only A-League club that is a public company.

Worth reading this: https://footballtoday.news/features/long-read-know-your-a-league-owners

Edited by jw1739

Interesting news coming out from fan owned and run AFC WImbledon.....their development of a new stadium at Plough Road has hit a financial snag. They're short of money to complete the project as intended. So the members are being given a vote if they want to build what they can afford, obtain loans to build it or open the club up to investors to finance the build. Will be interesting to see where it goes, as one of the real fan run success stories they've plateaued and can only really advance higher with outside investment, or they can be happy with League One/League Two football for the long term.

24 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Interesting news coming out from fan owned and run AFC WImbledon.....their development of a new stadium at Plough Road has hit a financial snag. They're short of money to complete the project as intended. So the members are being given a vote if they want to build what they can afford, obtain loans to build it or open the club up to investors to finance the build. Will be interesting to see where it goes, as one of the real fan run success stories they've plateaued and can only really advance higher with outside investment, or they can be happy with League One/League Two football for the long term.

A lot of the smaller clubs in England will ultimately face this issue, if they don't already. The pyramid structure is relatively new, and clubs may have to revert to the previous model, that is permanent membership of a particular league with no promotion or relegation - as per the A-league model. There's still a lot to play for under that "old model" and clubs can be relatively stable under it.

This is why promotion and relegation at the professional level in Australia must IMO be approached with extreme caution.

Interesting article I thought I’d share with you all. 

https://www.espn.com.au/football/manchester-city/story/3999695/manchester-city-group-worth-48-billion-after-silver-lake-buy-10-percent-report

Football is is a business and there is nothing wrong with that as long as things are done the right way and the fans are respected 100% of the way. 

Having said that I better read the article in full. 

2 hours ago, kiko said:

Interesting article I thought I’d share with you all. 

https://www.espn.com.au/football/manchester-city/story/3999695/manchester-city-group-worth-48-billion-after-silver-lake-buy-10-percent-report

Football is is a business and there is nothing wrong with that as long as things are done the right way and the fans are respected 100% of the way. 

Having said that I better read the article in full. 

So they've sold 23% - 13% to China, and 10% to the U.S.  Not sure what to think myself.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So they've sold 23% - 13% to China, and 10% to the U.S.  Not sure what to think myself.

I just see this as smart business JW. They've got two huge partners who are Technology and Media based and they see this as an opportunity in growing the pie in the 2 biggest markets on the globe. They're also reducing their exposure and cashing in whilst setting the market up for future deals. The other big thing i take from this is that by doing the deal CFG consolidates it's $4.8bn valuation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kiko said:

The other big thing i take from this is that by doing the deal CFG consolidates it's $4.8bn valuation.

I take it that a big part of this valuation is the potential transfer fee for Lachie Wales? 

Edited by Mr MO

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I take it that a big part of this valuation is the potential transfer fee for Lachie Wales? 

Lachie’s recent escapade and good form were definitely a stumbling block in the negotiations. It’s hard to put a price on (un)certain things. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kiko said:

I just see this as smart business JW. They've got two huge partners who are Technology and Media based and they see this as an opportunity in growing the pie in the 2 biggest markets on the globe. They're also reducing their exposure and cashing in whilst setting the market up for future deals. The other big thing i take from this is that by doing the deal CFG consolidates it's $4.8bn valuation.

I just see this as evidence that CFG is morphing into a global business organisation that happens to own a few football clubs, rather than having football as its focus. I can't see this as being good for us.