Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

On top of that, we are just some bush league, that is only 27 games long and on the other side of the world

A couple of years playing in Australia is a big draw for a lot of players from Europe. Don't underestimate the pull of good weather, lifestyle, and the once in a lifetime opportunity it seems to many. Aussies underestimate the attraction of their own country. 

17 hours ago, fensaddler said:

A couple of years playing in Australia is a big draw for a lot of players from Europe. Don't underestimate the pull of good weather, lifestyle, and the once in a lifetime opportunity it seems to many. Aussies underestimate the attraction of their own country. 

Are you serious? Most footballers play for financial security and Australia is very low on that ladder.

If you are a City Academy player being sent here would feel more like punishment than a reward. It would mean you are underachieving.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2019 at 9:58 PM, Mr MO said:

Very simple perhaps even these guys can cost already more than we are willing spend on marquee players. The fact that we have a French amateur player in the marquee bracket shows that our marquees aren’t that much more paid than some good squad players. 

I

On 07/08/2019 at 9:55 PM, belaguttman said:

Presumably, because very few would see the short A League season as offering a positive development pathway

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

On top of that, we are just some bush league, that is only 27 games long and on the other side of the world

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I was just trying to make the point that a bloke interested enough in football to come to a Bentleigh Greens vs. Melbourne City practice match made that unsolicited comment. Yes, a one-off, but that's how it appears to him - that we're not making the best of our opportunities. Whilst it might cost Melbourne City more to have a couple of (say) Manchester EDS players here, that's really just a matter of bookkeeping. It seems to me that it would actually cost CFG less than forking out for two additional marquee players. Plus you are likely to know rather more about what you're going to get from two players already somewhere on CFG's books than you do from two players from elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Are you serious? Most footballers play for financial security and Australia is very low on my that ladder.

If you are a City Academy player being send here would feel more like punishment than a reward. It would mean you are underachieving.

I confess I wasn't thinking of crack Man City academy players, but the level of player we typically attract from Europe. I was trying to make the point that we're probably viewed as being a bit better than a 'Bush league' in the arse end of beyond. 

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Are you serious? Most footballers play for financial security and Australia is very low on my that ladder.

If you are a City Academy player being send here would feel more like punishment than a reward. It would mean you are underachieving.

I don't agree with that at all. Instead of playing in an age-restricted league in England you are being given an opportunity to enter a man's league to test your progression, both on and off the field, with the safety net of CFG supporting you in the background.

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't agree with that at all. Instead of playing in an age-restricted league in England you are being given an opportunity to enter a man's league to test your progression, both on and off the field, with the safety net of CFG supporting you in the background.

Sounds logical from a management and development prospective but unfortunately that’s not how the mind of a young pro footballer works. We can disagree with it all we want but it’s how it is and works. You call it an opportunity but it’s not really, it means you don’t have what it takes at this point in time in Europe.

All the things you say in terms of development can be done way closer to home and the CFG can earn more money loaning them out in Europe.

Don’t get me wrong I would love to see them here.

They would rather play for teams like NAC Breda or being loaned out to other lower European clubs. CIty’s loan list is massive with such clubs. I would even argue that coming here is a bigger risk, if you fail or don’t impress - you will be forgotten very quickly, Harrison as an example now in the lower leagues of Holland. 

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

I believe Pierce has always been our vice chairman as I believe technically I think Mubarak has always been our chairman.

Quite correct, although the word "technically" doesn't need to be there. He is and always has been our Chairman (since the takeover). IIRC there are two other directors - does anyone have the complete list? (I don't seem to have saved the reference I had.)

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

who is Martin Edelman?

Martin Edelman was appointed to the Board in September 2008. He is also Vice Chairman of New York City FC.

Since June 2000, he has been Of Counsel to Paul Hastings LLP, a New York City law firm. Mr. Edelman also currently serves as Chairman of Manchester Life Development Company and as Director of Equity Commonwealth, BXMT and Aldar. He is also on the Advisory Board at Columbia University’s Business School.  

Mr. Edelman works on behalf of several philanthropic initiatives and is on the Boards of the Jackie Robinson Foundation, Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, Fisher Alzheimer Center and Tribeca Film Institute.

https://www.cityfootballgroup.com/our-business/board/

marty-edelman.jpg

Frank Lowy's dad's got some explaining to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

who is Martin Edelman?

http://events.manchester.ac.uk/event/event:o4p-j1oo028o-d1b539/politics-annual-peace-lecture

Martin Edelman

Title: "Trump's America Reality Show or New Political Reality"

Martin L. Edelman is “of counsel” to Paul Hastings LLP. Mr. Edelman has more than 40 years of experience and concentrates his practice on large complex international real estate (including the hospitality sector), corporate mergers and acquisitions transactions. Mr. Edelman has been involved in all stages of legal development of pioneering financial structures, including participating debt instruments, institutional joint ventures in real state, and joint ventures between U.S. financial sources and European real estate and industrial companies. He has also done extensive work in Europe, Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, the Middle East and Latin America. He is a frequent speaker at international conferences and in 2011 was selected by the National Law Journal as one of the 34 most influential lawyers in the country.

Mr. Edelman is on the Board of Directors of Equity Commonwealth, BXMT and Aldar, an Abu Dhabi public company. Mr. Edelman is an advisor to Grove Real Estate Partners, The Related Companies, Global Foundries and Mubadala, the strategic investment arm of the Government of Abu Dhabi.

Mr. Edelman is on the boards of Manchester City, New York City and Melbourne City football clubs. He is also an adviser to the Miami Dolphins.

He is a founding member of the Jackie Robinson Foundation, The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, and also on the board of the New York Tribeca Film Institute and Festival.

Mr. Edelman has been recognized for his work with the United States Military and military families by being awarded the Department of the Army Public Service Award.

Mr. Edelman graduated from Princeton University in 1963 and Columbia Law School in 1966.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

http://events.manchester.ac.uk/event/event:o4p-j1oo028o-d1b539/politics-annual-peace-lecture

Martin Edelman

Title: "Trump's America Reality Show or New Political Reality"

Martin L. Edelman is “of counsel” to Paul Hastings LLP. Mr. Edelman has more than 40 years of experience and concentrates his practice on large complex international real estate (including the hospitality sector), corporate mergers and acquisitions transactions. Mr. Edelman has been involved in all stages of legal development of pioneering financial structures, including participating debt instruments, institutional joint ventures in real state, and joint ventures between U.S. financial sources and European real estate and industrial companies. He has also done extensive work in Europe, Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, the Middle East and Latin America. He is a frequent speaker at international conferences and in 2011 was selected by the National Law Journal as one of the 34 most influential lawyers in the country.

Mr. Edelman is on the Board of Directors of Equity Commonwealth, BXMT and Aldar, an Abu Dhabi public company. Mr. Edelman is an advisor to Grove Real Estate Partners, The Related Companies, Global Foundries and Mubadala, the strategic investment arm of the Government of Abu Dhabi.

Mr. Edelman is on the boards of Manchester City, New York City and Melbourne City football clubs. He is also an adviser to the Miami Dolphins.

He is a founding member of the Jackie Robinson Foundation, The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, and also on the board of the New York Tribeca Film Institute and Festival.

Mr. Edelman has been recognized for his work with the United States Military and military families by being awarded the Department of the Army Public Service Award.

Mr. Edelman graduated from Princeton University in 1963 and Columbia Law School in 1966.

First against the wall come the revolution. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, citypool said:

We have the second most expensive membership in the league behind Perth 

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

We arguably play in the league's best stadium if you want to look at it that way...

The City Blue seats that my wife and I have are so ridiculously cheap with the discounts (Foundation Members plus Seniors) - over a year less than a cup of coffee per week - that I can't afford not to be a member.

We can accommodate over 11,000 members in City Blue and GA without even touching the additional bays recently made available to City Blue. 

The club would soon get the message if everyone moved to those categories.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The City Blue seats that my wife and I have are so ridiculously cheap with the discounts (Foundation Members plus Seniors) - over a year less than a cup of coffee per week - that I can't afford not to be a member.

We can accommodate over 11,000 members in City Blue and GA without even touching the additional bays recently made available to City Blue. 

The club would soon get the message if everyone moved to those categories.

Indeed im not suggesting that i think our memberships are or arent appropriately priced to be honest, there's a lot of factors that affect what the club set their prices at.
I do think looking at the quality of the stadium, and perhaps even what AAMI Park costs to rent out in comparison to some of the other grounds in the league is a worthwhile exercise though.
It's obviously up to the club to weigh up the costs and benefits of cheaper ticketing v what extra numbers that may or may not bring in. My suspicion is that dropping the ticket prices 20% last season would have achieved little, if no increase at all to the attendances, in which case you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. That may change if/when the club is up and about and fan sentiment is good.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Indeed im not suggesting that i think our memberships are or arent appropriately priced to be honest, there's a lot of factors that affect what the club set their prices at.
I do think looking at the quality of the stadium, and perhaps even what AAMI Park costs to rent out in comparison to some of the other grounds in the league is a worthwhile exercise though.
It's obviously up to the club to weigh up the costs and benefits of cheaper ticketing v what extra numbers that may or may not bring in. My suspicion is that dropping the ticket prices 20% last season would have achieved little, if no increase at all to the attendances, in which case you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. That may change if/when the club is up and about and fan sentiment is good.

Despite my previous post, I do understand how the overall cost of attendance can be questioned if the entertainment index is low. I also have the advantage of free PT on Saturdays and Sundays, and if you're having to pay the full adult rate for that then the overall cost of attending starts to rise. And not all our supporters are in PT zone 1 either. I'm amazed that people from Ballarat and Bendigo, and other centres, keep the faith.

• 1 month later...

Former Joey turned FIFA, AFC and now City Football Group high-flier James Johnson has emerged as a leading contender to replace David Gallop as FFA’s chief executive.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ex-fifa-high-flier-johnson-firming-as-man-to-replace-gallop?fbclid=IwAR28Qv08McT1Jkq2uFjrX-PR2bVGRMFzufA9Ds_AIpdHH8gSndIWL1Ex_DA

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder whether we are now starting to see the real reason CFG bought Melbourne Heart? Is CFG's ultimate objective to dominate the Asian Football Confederation and the Asian football landscape?

If it means we start to win trophies, I wont be complaining

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder whether we are now starting to see the real reason CFG bought Melbourne Heart? Is CFG's ultimate objective to dominate the Asian Football Confederation and the Asian football landscape?

I wish they would spend so much time and resources on their club and supporters so that these people can earn their place on such boards.

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I wish they would spend so much time and resources on their club and supporters so that these people can earn their place on such boards.

I am not too sure how spending money and resources on our club will mean that CFG's lackeys have earned their place on a board. The two are quite unrelated..

1 hour ago, malloy said:

I am not too sure how spending money and resources on our club will mean that CFG's lackeys have earned their place on a board. The two are quite unrelated..

I see a clear relation perhaps you miss my point, our current priority is clearly taking over the football landscape rather than making Melbourne City a success. It’s not always about money on players it’s about time and resources. 

But of course this is only my personal opinion where our priorities should be.

Next to this in the business world, people with a proven track record and good intentions earn their places on boards. 

We are fluffing around with our football club prior to this season, have become a joke in fan engagement yet we are trying force all our white collars in those management positions. Power hungry without even demonstrating how to run a proper club. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

Yep, sure did. Kids are a bit older now but we still made it.

It's related to your comment about spending on the club and its supporters.

We also took the small tour of the academy, it's impressive in there and shows to me they have invested.

I just think the whole not spending argument on our club is a crock to be honest and just another excuse for unhappy fans to whinge about.

The real problem for me is the A-League as a whole, we've fallen so far behind other leagues that our product just doesn't have the appeal.

So if CFG can get some form of control in the decisions made on this league, surely that's not a bad thing is it?

• Like 1

You are right about the league but wouldn’t you rather see this reform pushed by CFG on the back of a successful club on and off field? It would be a bit easier and justified.

Its so frustrating with all our resources we have gone backwards in fan numbers and stalled in the league since the takeover, I just want to win something! But you call this a crock. Have a good crack at it with some serious marquee players, get the old fans back onboard attract new one, build a large fan base - to me only then you have right to speak and shows that you are serious about this country.

Reform is necessary but I rather see these resources in big board members and the supporting teams spend on the club itself. Take a step back and let big teams in this league take the lead.

But perhaps it’s short term and naive thinking of me.

Edited by Mr MO

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

You are right about the league but wouldn’t you rather see this reform pushed by CFG on the back of a successful club on and off field? It would be a bit easier and justified.

Its so frustrating with all our resources we have gone backwards in fan numbers and stalled in the league since the takeover, I just want to win something! But you call this a crock. Have a good crack at it with some serious marquee players, get the old fans back onboard attract new one, build a large fan base - to me only then you have right to speak and shows that you are serious about this country.

Reform is necessary but I rather see these resources in big board members and the supporting teams spend on the club itself. Take a step back and let big teams in this league take the lead.

But perhaps it’s short term and naive thinking of me.

IMO this is absolutely right. If I were representing one of the "smaller" clubs in the League I think I would be tempted to question Pearce and other CFG people along the lines "why do you think we should listen to these restructuring  and other arguments about how we should run football in Australia when your own club is hardly competitive in the League as it is at present?" I agree with your point that CFG would have a lot more credibility if Melbourne City were a leading club rather than a bit of an also-ran.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO this is absolutely right. If I were representing one of the "smaller" clubs in the League I think I would be tempted to question Pearce and other CFG people along the lines "why do you think we should listen to these restructuring  and other arguments about how we should run football in Australia when your own club is hardly competitive in the League as it is at present?" I agree with your point that CFG would have a lot more credibility if Melbourne City were a leading club rather than a bit of an also-ran.

Bit hyperbolic JW. In 5 seasons under City rule we have finished 5th, 4th, 4th, 3rd & 5th which are all top half finishes, and have won a cup.
Is it where we want to be? No, obviously, but to suggest we are not competitive is a bit of a leap.

We've also consistently been a top 3 spender in the league since we came in so the idea we aren't spending money is a bit of a furphy imo. Of course perhaps we could be forking out a little more for that 2nd marquee and giving ourselves an increased amount of quality in that slot, but more than half the clubs fail to put anyone in the slot at all so we are still above the avergae there too.
CFG have stated on quite a few occasions, if not specifically on the record, that they werent going to pour silly money in to star players until the business model of the league even made it worth looking at anyway.
FWIW i think given NYC's change of tack and subsequent results over the past 18 months theyve probably gone off the idea of a genuine marquee player anyway. Its been rare in Aus and the US that clubs that get the star name go on and win anything.

• Like 1