Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

22 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Speaking to an insider at MCFC, he said they are worried about this new Melbourne team coming in. He said they will have a stadium however, City tried to push to build a purpose built stadium in the northern suburbs but the local government is not giving them space to build the stadium let alone any funding.

Regardless, City need to get this next season right otherwise not extending Joyce's contract would've been pointless.

Not questioning you, just your source. Thats not how stadium proposals work with Councils so id take what they said with a grain of salt

Looks like Girona is going down.

NYCFC is improving. 

Yokohama is also on the rise.

With Manchester going from strength to strength, CFG for me are pretty stretched.

I really hope we can get our shit together. 

CBF finding out about that South American club.

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Looks like Girona is going down.

NYCFC is improving. 

Yokohama is also on the rise.

With Manchester going from strength to strength, CFG for me are pretty stretched.

I really hope we can get our shit together. 

CBF finding out about that South American club.

CA Torque. They are in the Uruguayan Segunda Dision, relegated the previous season from the Primera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

So Australians are doing the best for them with Ange, arzani and Mooy leading the way 

Well it's all relative. 

Arzani hasn't played 

Mooy has just been relegated 

Ange is always a few losses away from being sacked (like most coaches).

Edited by Jovan

On 14/05/2019 at 7:38 AM, Jovan said:

Well it's all relative. 

Arzani hasn't played 

Mooy has just been relegated 

Ange is always a few losses away from being sacked (like most coaches).

But they still paid for arzani and Mooy so city are marking money. 

8 hours ago, citypool said:

But they still paid for arzani and Mooy so city are marking money. 

I misread your post. I thought you were saying that they are doing best for them. As in performing at a high level, not earning transfer fees/profit.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, citypool said:

I still don’t understand why we don’t play Manchester city in Melbourne. It’s a missed opportunity every year 

Because the preseason for any EPL club is about making money. Aus is just not worth it money wise

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

There is no excuse for not playing similar matches.  We are only the club which faces no-one. It's more likely for Victory to play City at full MCG. It's very disappointing to be CFG club member. 

Catch-22 isn't it. On the one hand we resent our loss of individual identity, and on the other we feel we're not given due recognition as a member of the CFG family.

If you look at the respective seasons and off-seasons for CFG clubs, there's actually only a small window of opportunity for inter-club matches. The best time seems to be at the end of the seasons, which more-or-less coincide in May.

Generally IMO these "pre-season tour" matches are a heap of shit - you're seeing either reserve team players trying to impress the manager, or first-team players strolling around for 20-30 minutes hoping they don't get injured, in front of a crowd mainly composed of make-believe Euro snobs wearing their once-a year scarves and who ridicule the A-League at every opportunity.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Generally IMO these "pre-season tour" matches are a heap of shit - you're seeing either reserve team players trying to impress the manager, or first-team players strolling around for 20-30 minutes hoping they don't get injured, in front of a crowd mainly composed of make-believe Euro snobs wearing their once-a year scarves and who ridicule the A-League at every opportunity.

Gee, this is so far off the mark. When I went to see Man City, Roma, and Real Madrid with a packed MCG, it was an awesome experience.

Even at half pace they are delightful to watch.

And for the record many of the people there were A-league supporters but even if they are not there is nothing wrong with that. Also there are people that don't follow football at all and they may come out of the experience with the idea of attending A-league matches.

I think people should get out of this euro-snob idea, there is nothing wrong with people enjoying the elite level of any sport exclusively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Gee, this is so far off the mark. When I went to see Man City, Roma, and Real Madrid with a packed MCG, it was an awesome experience.

Even at half pace they are delightful to watch.

And for the record many of the people there were A-league supporters but even if they are not there is nothing wrong with that. Also there are people that don't follow football at all and they may come out of the experience with the idea of attending A-league matches.

I think people should get out of this euro-snob idea, there is nothing wrong with people enjoying the elite level of any sport exclusively.

Not quite the matches I was referring to. That was a genuine competition between elite clubs. I was referring to matches between A-League clubs (or equivalent) playing one-off matches against Euro opposition. My experience in those matches that I have been to has been less than satisfying. Exorbitant admission prices and boring football.

Edited by jw1739

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not quite the matches I was referring to. That was a genuine competition between elite clubs. I was referring to matches between A-League clubs (or equivalent) playing one-off matches against Euro opposition. My experience in those matches that I have been to has been less than satisfying. Exorbitant admission prices and boring football.

Stick to your guns JW. I agree, most of those plastic pre-season games are utter horseshit and are purely a cash grabbing exercise.
If that's your thing, good for you, but you and i aren't the only ones that think they're a waste of time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Exorbitant admission prices and boring football.

Well then don't pay it and don't go. Many people think it is worth it and pay the fee and happily attend. Hence why they are usually a sell out.

Secondly I would say our boys would be over the moon rubbing shoulders with these elite players.

As for a second rate squad, that is total rubbish as since they bring extended squads they usually bring their whole list.

For example, when Arsenal played WSW they had their full list on the pitch on one time or another.

IMG_20190703_220847.thumb.jpg.1cdf99fd2b5733203d97471d58460d26.jpg

Don't know what you are on about tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, citypool said:

Noticed New York City are sixth on their ladder don’t seem to be doing any better then us 

Their fans have been complaining about the absence of "star" players for this season, so it's not surprising. Until the past couple of weeks they'd lost only one league match though.

On 16/7/2019 at 0:52 PM, citypool said:

Noticed New York City are sixth on their ladder don’t seem to be doing any better then us 

Well no, tbf they are in a logjam in midtable, but are 5 points off first with 4 games in hand. They're 7 clear out on top if they were to bank max points in those 4 games, so imo theyre doing alright.

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Manchester City played Yokohama F Marinos in a friendly match in Yokohama yesterday. I think it's a real shame that they can't find the time to do the same for us here in Melbourne.

It would be too hard on the spectators... They wouldn't know which team is which.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 08/05/2019 at 4:40 PM, Tony999 said:

Speaking to an insider at MCFC, he said they are worried about this new Melbourne team coming in. He said they will have a stadium however, City tried to push to build a purpose built stadium in the northern suburbs but the local government is not giving them space to build the stadium let alone any funding.

Regardless, City need to get this next season right otherwise not extending Joyce's contract would've been pointless.

This is not surprising and a smart move.They are following the WU model which is the envy of all clubs. The long term key is to own your own ground and be able to derive maximum revenue from it. The AAMI Park rental model will not grow the club as much, despite its necessity for derbies and other showcase matches like FFA Cup finals.

59 minutes ago, citypool said:

I was thinking this last night let’s say we have a brilliant year we final qualify for Asia to play acl next season. Then offers come for our players do we sell everyone we can (the cfg plan) or do we really try and keep them for a season to be competitive in the acl?

Easy pal. Season hasn't started yet. 

• Like 1

I got talking to a Bentleigh Greens supporter during half-time at yesterday's match. He made the comment that he doesn't understand why our marquee players every season aren't a couple of the up-and-coming players from within the CFG stable of clubs. Fair point IMO.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I got talking to a Bentleigh Greens supporter during half-time at yesterday's match. He made the comment that he doesn't understand why our marquee players every season aren't a couple of the up-and-coming players from within the CFG stable of clubs. Fair point IMO.

Presumably, because very few would see the short A League season as offering a positive development pathway

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Very simple perhaps even these guys can cost already more than we are willing spend on marquee players. The fact that we have a French amateur player in the marquee bracket shows that our marquees aren’t that much more paid than some good squad players. 

Edited by Mr MO

On 07/08/2019 at 9:45 PM, jw1739 said:

On 07/08/2019 at 9:58 PM, Mr MO said:

Very simple perhaps even these guys can cost already more than we are willing spend on marquee players. The fact that we have a French amateur player in the marquee bracket shows that our marquees aren’t that much more paid than some good squad players. 

On top of that, we are just some bush league, that is only 27 games long and on the other side of the world