Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

Under the normal scheme of things, a club that had completely alienated its season ticket holders/ members and supporters in general to the extent that they no longer paid for membership or to attend games, would be facing bankruptcy.

I therefore expect that CFG will have to make some hard decisions that in light of their incompetence, will they continue to throw money into the black hole they have created? (Doubtless the current management will not portray their current situation in those precise words).

Be interesting to see. Normally what happens in these situations is that for change to occur the current leadership is moved aside and others with a different perspective come in. The problem with this is that the UK based leaders who have caused all this seem unlikely to be called to account on what is just a trivial outpost of their sprawling empire 

I rang to stop my auto renewal this morning and the lady was nearly in tears and said 'it is so sad to see this happening to this club', I got transferred through to memberships and was on hold for too long and I had to hang up.

26 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I therefore expect that CFG will have to make some hard decisions that in light of their incompetence, will they continue to throw money into the black hole they have created?

I think you are right and they also have another problem and that is WU, which is what a lot of posters on this forum predicted late last year that if CFG didn't get their shit in order that WU would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Interesting times ahead that's for sure.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

For some unexplained reason I grew to hate Victory when the A league started.  Went to some games early as have always been a football fan but just couldn't connect.  Then Heart came and it was like yep, this is it.  The excitement and interest in those early years was amazing.  Now it's been taken away and watch occasionally and check the scores now and then.  Shame. 

Edited by Rasputin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

For some unexplained reason I grew to hate Victory when the A league started.  Went to some games early as have always been a football fan but just couldn't connect.  Then Heart came and it was like yep, this is it.  The excitement and interest in those early years was amazing.  Now it's been taken away and watch occasionally and check the scores now and then.  Shame. 

I can relate to that, I lost interest in the recent off season as soon as I realised our recruitment yet again was done on the cheap and unbalanced. 

4 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Understand what you are saying, but it's not all CFG's fault. We can hold them responsible for what's happened to our club, but not for the "sanitisation" of the League as a whole - FFA has to take the blame for that.

Although I fell in love with Heart very early on, I'm not anti-CFG as the Mooy/Fornaroli/Novillo season + the FFA Cup win were still really enjoyable times.

However, the past couple of seasons under Joyce have absolutely broken my affinity with the club. Our shit football was bad enough but we were shit under Aloisi as Heart too and I still loved the club then.

It's been the horrible plastic identity, the complete lack of engagement with the supporters, the banishing of the closest thing we have to a club legend in Fornaroli (and letting him go to a league rival) and the baffling unwillingness to use our greatest asset ($$$) to actually buy decent marquees and use our other great asset (worldwide scouts) to actually find decent visa players like Sydney FC and Victory have. 

It just doesn't make sense and even if Joyce goes, I'm not back on board until there's compelling evidence that the entire makeup of the club heads in a new direction because I'd have already walked if Team 11 got in ahead of Western United.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Under the normal scheme of things, a club that had completely alienated its season ticket holders/ members and supporters in general to the extent that they no longer paid for membership or to attend games, would be facing bankruptcy.

I therefore expect that CFG will have to make some hard decisions that in light of their incompetence, will they continue to throw money into the black hole they have created? (Doubtless the current management will not portray their current situation in those precise words).

Be interesting to see. Normally what happens in these situations is that for change to occur the current leadership is moved aside and others with a different perspective come in. The problem with this is that the UK based leaders who have caused all this seem unlikely to be called to account on what is just a trivial outpost of their sprawling empire 

Correct. I responded to a recent club survey saying that CFG’s business model based on running multiple clubs around the world from Manchester and Abu Dhabi is flawed. That a centralised, remote management system cannot truly appreciate the forces at work and the attitudes of football fans in its satellite clubs/countries. As I said in my response, Marwood gave us Joyce but there was a perfectly able and proven A-league coach (Popovic) waiting to be given a job. And then there’s the arrogant way they went about changing the team’s colours just to fit in with their corporate Manchester City ‘blue’ approach. CFG need to review how they run their clubs. The fans want to be engaged and listened to. There is a lot of work to do to re-establish trust.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Correct. I responded to a recent club survey saying that CFG’s business model based on running multiple clubs around the world from Manchester and Abu Dhabi is flawed. That a centralised, remote management system cannot truly appreciate the forces at work and the attitudes of football fans in its satellite clubs/countries. As I said in my response, Marwood gave us Joyce but there was a perfectly able and proven A-league coach (Popovic) waiting to be given a job. And then there’s the arrogant way they went about changing the team’s colours just to fit in with their corporate Manchester City ‘blue’ approach. CFG need to review how they run their clubs. The fans want to be engaged and listened to. There is a lot of work to do to re-establish trust.

These are the 2 mega fuck ups that have led the club to be where it is today.

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

I rang to stop my auto renewal this morning and the lady was nearly in tears and said 'it is so sad to see this happening to this club', I got transferred through to memberships and was on hold for too long and I had to hang up.

I think you are right and they also have another problem and that is WU, which is what a lot of posters on this forum predicted late last year that if CFG didn't get their shit in order that WU would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I find myself agreeing with you... I remember posting after the insipid second round performance against CCM that trouble was around the corner, and that turning in performances like that was not an option. The troubles here, the wolves are at the door. I genuinely worry for the survival of the club. 

2 minutes ago, kiko said:

If the club passed on Popovich that is a blunder the equal of us passing over Postecoglou in the Heart days.

Blunder after blunder.

10 year plan they say. I suspect they are aiming for the "we didnt achieve this buy splashing cash on marquees or spending more money than other teams" such as the shit Man City cop in the UK. I feel they are trying to say "we did this buy investing in youth and building up a solid foundation, the benefits of which we could capitalise on after our initial investment."

You see, all of us trusted CFGs message when they took over. We believed their promises because we could see how their dominance has transformed other clubs. HOWEVER, the reality of what has occured since then has been systemically underwhelming and here we are in the current predicament.

26 minutes ago, kiko said:

If the club passed on Popovich that is a blunder the equal of us passing over Postecoglou in the Heart days.

There was a personal reason why Postecoglou would not have considered coming to Heart.

23 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Blunder after blunder.

10 year plan they say. I suspect they are aiming for the "we didnt achieve this buy splashing cash on marquees or spending more money than other teams" such as the shit Man City cop in the UK. I feel they are trying to say "we did this buy investing in youth and building up a solid foundation, the benefits of which we could capitalise on after our initial investment."

You see, all of us trusted CFGs message when they took over. We believed their promises because we could see how their dominance has transformed other clubs. HOWEVER, the reality of what has occured since then has been systemically underwhelming and here we are in the current predicament.

Not that I think CFG would admit that it has failed in Melbourne, the overall growth in the value of CFG (as evidenced by the amount the Chinese paid for 13% of the business) now means that no-one would dream of buying out CFG to take over the club. So we're pretty much stuck with CFG as owners.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kiko said:

JW Ange has openly stated he was overlooked by Heart, not given a look in. I'm curious as to the personal reason cited as to why he would not come?

Something to do with Sidwell, Postecoglu and one of their ex-wives, can't recall which of the two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Because there are laws against libel and defamation which can be used to shut down websites. And JW is a moderator... 

Really? Posting a link to an public article on a forum falls in that category? Sharing information and writing or hosting damaging articles are different things I would have thought.

Edited by Mr MO

9 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Why not just post it here?

Quite apart from any legal implications, because it was 8-10 years ago and because on an open forum I don't think it appropriate to comment on personal matters that involve(d) anyone connected with Melbourne Heart or City. 

• Like 3

On 06/05/2019 at 2:31 PM, playmaker said:

Promote the lady at least she’s showing passion for the club 

On 06/05/2019 at 2:31 PM, playmaker said:

Just send an email to memberships.

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

It's not as dramatic. 

It can be.

All I need to do is cut and paste forum posts as reasons which is certain to get an emotional reaction.

Maybe like a timeline from Wazza's announcement to now.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

Speaking to an insider at MCFC, he said they are worried about this new Melbourne team coming in. He said they will have a stadium however, City tried to push to build a purpose built stadium in the northern suburbs but the local government is not giving them space to build the stadium let alone any funding.

Regardless, City need to get this next season right otherwise not extending Joyce's contract would've been pointless.

Edited by Tony999

1 minute ago, Tony999 said:

Speaking to insider at MCFC, he said they are worried about this new Melbourne team coming in. He said they will have a stadium and City tried to push to build a purpose built stadium in the northern suburbs but the local government is not giving them space to build the stadium nor any funding.

Regardless, City need to get this next season right otherwise not extending Joyce's contract would've been pointless.

Everyone knows that our ultimate owner is an obscenely rich royal from the United Arab Emirates. Pointless to ask anyone for funding. CFG could by derelict land and built a stadium if they really wanted to.

26 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Speaking to an insider at MCFC, he said they are worried about this new Melbourne team coming in. He said they will have a stadium however, City tried to push to build a purpose built stadium in the northern suburbs but the local government is not giving them space to build the stadium let alone any funding.

I would be worried too! For the last five years you haven’t been serious about making this a successful club, investment or real football club. Western United is building a worthy squad and don’t stuff around.

Edited by Mr MO

40 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Speaking to an insider at MCFC, he said they are worried about this new Melbourne team coming in. He said they will have a stadium however, City tried to push to build a purpose built stadium in the northern suburbs but the local government is not giving them space to build the stadium let alone any funding

Was the stadium heidelbergs ground? As few years ago when looking at redevelopment 12,000seats heart were going to move in but cfg came in and nothing happened and the ground is now getting a redevelopment

FFS, we are Melbourne City FC, not Melbourne Some Paddock out in the Backwaters of the North FC.

Instead of spending fuckloads on building a stadiuk they spend the same amount on building a squad to attract fans so that we can fill our home ground in Melbourne...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, malloy said:

FFS, we are Melbourne City FC, not Melbourne Some Paddock out in the Backwaters of the North FC.

Instead of spending fuckloads on building a stadiuk they spend the same amount on building a squad to attract fans so that we can fill our home ground in Melbourne...

Absolutely. We have an agreement with the City of Melbourne to use part of the city's coat of arms incorporated into the club badge, and we made certain undertakings to the City in return. We would wreck what identification we have if we move from AAMI Park. Stadium costs in Australia are horrendous - WSW's new ground cost A$330m. Our challenge is to draw crowds to our home ground to watch Melbourne City, not run whimpering into the boondocks at the thought of the slightest competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely. We have an agreement with the City of Melbourne to use part of the city's coat of arms incorporated into the club badge, and we made certain undertakings to the City in return. We would wreck what identification we have if we move from AAMI Park. Stadium costs in Australia are horrendous - WSW's new ground cost A$330m. Our challenge is to draw crowds to our home ground to watch Melbourne City, not run whimpering into the boondocks at the thought of the slightest competition.

Especially as moving to the northern boondocks would make it far harder for our fans from the Eastern and Western boondocks. 

14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Especially as moving to the northern boondocks would make it far harder for our fans from the Eastern and Western boondocks. 

...and not forgetting the Southern boondocks (southern boondocker as I am). 

Edited by jw1739

14 hours ago, HughJass said:

Was the stadium heidelbergs ground? As few years ago when looking at redevelopment 12,000seats heart were going to move in but cfg came in and nothing happened and the ground is now getting a redevelopment

No idea. Didn't ask. Personally, I think AAMI is a perfect venue for all City fans to attend. Would be even more perfect if it was filled with City fans.