Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Bundoora; the indigenous word for the birthplace of football. 

Got me thinking.

http://www.emelbourne.net.au/biogs/EM00262b.htm

Website states "The name Bundoora is thought to derive from an Aboriginal word meaning the plain where kangaroos live."

So our logo could be

40650482113_4a67493369_z.jpg

At least it wold put a smile on our faces :up:

Edited by HEARTinator

26 minutes ago, haz said:

Whats up with all these letters posted by players on Instagram? Harrison's profile has an 'O', while Maclaren posted a 'G'.???

12 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Spells together.

Latest campaign trying to piece together the burnt ashes of a forgotten unity.

This is the sort of shit that turns me off. The way to demonstrate all this togetherness and commitment is to perform on the fucking field, not with some smart-arse posts on anti-social media.

The club doesn't get it, do they? They just don't get it. Even when they've fucked up yet another season they just don't get it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This is the sort of shit that turns me off. The way to demonstrate all this togetherness and commitment is to perform on the fucking field, not with some smart-arse posts on anti-social media.

The club doesn't get it, do they? They just don't get it. Even when they've fucked up yet another season they just don't get it.

What does it mean then - Own Goal?

30 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Spells together.

Latest campaign trying to piece together the burnt ashes of a forgotten unity.

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

"FUCK OFF CFG"

.....only a few more posts to go

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Whilst I agree that fact is precisely because 1. Performances on field have been shite and 2. Fan unity is low then this sort of marketing is an attempt to try and reinvigorate fan sentiment.

Unfortunately, the only thing going to reinvigorate fan sentiment is to start fulfilling promises and investing in a manager who will bring back the fans and give us every shot at the title.

Jamo and Bart have been vocal on the social media trying to bring this fan sentiment together i.e. trust the process & thats the plan & we are nearly there etc. But it could not be more divorced from reality and people are already beyond skeptical and utterly disillusioned that any positive message from the club or players is seen as another lie or deferal or excuse.

This social media promo isn't that big of a deal. Can't blame the club for trying to promote itself. And sure as shit can't expect them to allow everything to come to a grinding halt because on field results aren't going well. Separate one from the other. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bellydrum said:

Social media team just doing their job. Whinge some more you babies

It's not a whinge at all. We've talked the talk for 5 seasons. Now it's time to walk the walk.

"24th January 2014

Dear Members and Supporters,

It was announced yesterday that Manchester City Football Club, in partnership with the ownership group of the Melbourne Storm, had successfully acquired Melbourne Heart FC.

Today, on our first full day, the work has begun to help your Club to fulfill its immense potential both on and off the field, within Australia and beyond.

A lot has been written overnight about Manchester City’s entry into Australian football, the city of Melbourne, and the Hyundai A-League. It is our view that we are at the very beginning of a significant opportunity. There is a lot to be done and we are very excited to start that work today.

The first thing we intend to do is listen, learn and better understand every aspect of the Club. In the last 24 hours, we have met with members of the Club‘s management. We have also met with John van ‘t Schip, his coaches and the players. The Director of Football at Manchester City FC, Txiki Begiristain, and the Director of the City Football Academy, Brian Marwood, have already watched their first training session.

Naturally, this process will also include hearing from fans, members and partners that have supported this Club during its short history. We want to listen and learn first, and take well-supported decisions immediately thereafter.

The one thing we already know is that we will work hard to deliver very good football. Melbourne coaches and players will have access to City’s world-class global football resources, including scouting, coaching, human performance and performance analysis. It is also expected that players and coaches from Melbourne will spend time at the City Football Academy (CFA) - a world-class facility for football training and development that will open adjacent to the Etihad Stadium in Manchester in July 2014.

I understand that many of you will have questions about the future of the Club. We are committed to sharing information with you as soon as we can. However, as I stated yesterday, out of respect for the players and coaching staff in the middle of the Hyundai A-League season, we will not be making any more major announcements until the end of the current season.

In the meantime, we should all ensure that the team on the pitch enjoys all of our support for a strong and successful remainder of the season.

Yours sincerely,

Ferran Soriano
CEO, Manchester City Football Club"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It's not a whinge at all. We've talked the talk for 5 seasons. Now it's time to walk the walk.

"24th January 2014

Dear Members and Supporters,

It was announced yesterday that Manchester City Football Club, in partnership with the ownership group of the Melbourne Storm, had successfully acquired Melbourne Heart FC.

Today, on our first full day, the work has begun to help your Club to fulfill its immense potential both on and off the field, within Australia and beyond.

A lot has been written overnight about Manchester City’s entry into Australian football, the city of Melbourne, and the Hyundai A-League. It is our view that we are at the very beginning of a significant opportunity. There is a lot to be done and we are very excited to start that work today.

The first thing we intend to do is listen, learn and better understand every aspect of the Club. In the last 24 hours, we have met with members of the Club‘s management. We have also met with John van ‘t Schip, his coaches and the players. The Director of Football at Manchester City FC, Txiki Begiristain, and the Director of the City Football Academy, Brian Marwood, have already watched their first training session.

Naturally, this process will also include hearing from fans, members and partners that have supported this Club during its short history. We want to listen and learn first, and take well-supported decisions immediately thereafter.

The one thing we already know is that we will work hard to deliver very good football. Melbourne coaches and players will have access to City’s world-class global football resources, including scouting, coaching, human performance and performance analysis. It is also expected that players and coaches from Melbourne will spend time at the City Football Academy (CFA) - a world-class facility for football training and development that will open adjacent to the Etihad Stadium in Manchester in July 2014.

I understand that many of you will have questions about the future of the Club. We are committed to sharing information with you as soon as we can. However, as I stated yesterday, out of respect for the players and coaching staff in the middle of the Hyundai A-League season, we will not be making any more major announcements until the end of the current season.

In the meantime, we should all ensure that the team on the pitch enjoys all of our support for a strong and successful remainder of the season.

Yours sincerely,

Ferran Soriano
CEO, Manchester City Football Club"

Here is the keywords, we all wanted to hear!

listen
well-supported decisions
deliver very good football
scouting
sharing information

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Gee that puts some perspective on the situation.

If that was their KPIs they have basically failed all of them.

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We want to listen and learn first, and take well-supported decisions immediately thereafter.

Fail

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

access to City’s world-class global football resources, including scouting, coaching, human performance and performance analysis.

Mattered little.

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We are committed to sharing information with you as soon as we can

This is a joke right.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

the work has begun to help your Club to fulfill its immense potential both on and off the field, within Australia and beyond.

Hopeless.

Basically the last 2 years has been error after error on and off the pitch.

Quite sad really.

• Like 2

All this talk of unity and togetherness.... 

The fans are united: we all want desperately to see City succeed; we are united in our vision about the type of football want played in our name representing the values we hold; we are united in building a culture and fanbase we can be proud of; we are united and will always be united when it comes to us wanting the best for this club.

It is because of our unity that we are all disheartened, disillusioned and disengaged. There are so many City fans out there who are desperate to back a club they can be proud of.

Failure after failure after failure has united them now in opposition to the club. We are united in wanting Joyce gone. We are united in holding CFG accountable for their promises, though disempowered we are in the whole scheme of things. 

Its not enough for players to be desperate to succeed or hear them promise to give their all. The current team (bar 2 or 3) were desperate to win last year only to bow their heads at the loss; none of this team were there to thank the fans at AAMI when Perth knocked us out. The fans have put up with failure season after season - we are not building to anything. We have obviously gone severely backwards. We cannot build on past lessons because we continue making mistakes. We cannot even tap into the failures of the past because these players and management were not there to witness it.

Once things change you will see the fans, once again, unite in their quest to support this team. But we are right, the current Melbourne City football team is a poor representation of what this club is about and will be a stain on the history of the club going forward. We are in an absolute crisis. This is not about making finals or winning or losing. This is about pride - something so evidently lacking on so many levels.

I used to be so proud to be a City fan. Despite being the underdogs we had a team worth supporting. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

All this talk of unity and togetherness.... 

The fans are united: we all want desperately to see City succeed; we are united in our vision about the type of football want played in our name representing the values we hold; we are united in building a culture and fanbase we can be proud of; we are united and will always be united when it comes to us wanting the best for this club.

It is because of our unity that we are all disheartened, disillusioned and disengaged. There are so many City fans out there who are desperate to back a club they can be proud of.

Failure after failure after failure has united them now in opposition to the club. We are united in wanting Joyce gone. We are united in holding CFG accountable for their promises, though disempowered we are in the whole scheme of things. 

Its not enough for players to be desperate to succeed or hear them promise to give their all. The current team (bar 2 or 3) were desperate to win last year only to bow their heads at the loss; none of this team were there to thank the fans at AAMI when Perth knocked us out. The fans have put up with failure season after season - we are not building to anything. We have obviously gone severely backwards. We cannot build on past lessons because we continue making mistakes. We cannot even tap into the failures of the past because these players and management were not there to witness it.

Once things change you will see the fans, once again, unite in their quest to support this team. But we are right, the current Melbourne City football team is a poor representation of what this club is about and will be a stain on the history of the club going forward. We are in an absolute crisis. This is not about making finals or winning or losing. This is about pride - something so evidently lacking on so many levels.

I used to be so proud to be a City fan. Despite being the underdogs we had a team worth supporting. 

@JMSTEP123 I'm not quite sure about your Perth reference there. Otherwise nice piece.

The problem isn't that we keep making mistakes, progress comes from making different mistakes and learning from them. we are making the same mistakes season after season because we don't appear to learn from them.

I'd also extend the questioning to a wider cultural question: what's going on with the culture when, on both occasions, we lose Championship and Premiership losing coaches of the women's team and the youth team (Montemuro and Palatsides) because of their dissatisfaction with the culture?

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@JMSTEP123 I'm not quite sure about your Perth reference there. Otherwise nice piece.

Didnt we lose 0-2 in elim finals 16/17 to Perth?

The whole misery of the past is ever present 🤣

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The problem isn't that we keep making mistakes, progress comes from making different mistakes and learning from them. we are making the same mistakes season after season because we don't appear to learn from them.

I'd also extend the questioning to a wider cultural question: what's going on with the culture when, on both occasions, we lose Championship and Premiership losing coaches of the women's team and the youth team (Montemuro and Palatsides) because of their dissatisfaction with the culture?

To your former paragraph YES. But also seeing the players disappointment not being carried over to the following season means we cannot tap into the psyhchology of past shortcomings. Its just shortcoming after shortcoming.

To your latter - worrying reality. I would love to see the strategic plan for cultural improvement. I would also love to see how they assess this past tenure under Joyce on the basis of it.

18 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Didnt we lose 0-2 in elim finals 16/17 to Perth?

The whole misery of the past is ever present 🤣

Oh, yes, so we did. But the disappointments of 2016-17 have already been superseded by the disappointments of 2017-18 and eliminated from my mind. Soon I'll need to clear out those disappointments and replace them with the disappointments of the current season. It's a sort of "disappointments renewal" process.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Oh, yes, so we did. But the disappointments of 2016-17 have already been superseded by the disappointments of 2017-18 and eliminated from my mind. Soon I'll need to clear out those disappointments and replace them with the disappointments of the current season. It's a sort of "disappointments renewal" process.

A human can only cop so much misery.

I need to check my numbers - I think one or two of mine differ slightly from those posted above - but yes, the past two seasons have negated the slow but steady improvement season-by-season when we were Heart.

I don't think Joyce is entirely to blame. On-field we haven't really improved at all - in both Joyce seasons we've been a long way off the pace, played dreary football, and seen some of our best players leave the club - but the league as a whole has become stale for various reasons. Off the field the club has become disengaged with its support base. All told though, the impact on us has been stark.

IMO we all know roughly what needs to be done to reverse the trends, so no point in repeating it all. The issue is whether our owners are going to admit that they have got a lot of things wrong here in Melbourne and will make the necessary changes.

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I need to check my numbers - I think one or two of mine differ slightly from those posted above - but yes, the past two seasons have negated the slow but steady improvement season-by-season when we were Heart.

I don't think Joyce is entirely to blame. On-field we haven't really improved at all - in both Joyce seasons we've been a long way off the pace, played dreary football, and seen some of our best players leave the club - but the league as a whole has become stale for various reasons. Off the field the club has become disengaged with its support base. All told though, the impact on us has been stark.

IMO we all know roughly what needs to be done to reverse the trends, so no point in repeating it all. The issue is whether our owners are going to admit that they have got a lot of things wrong here in Melbourne and will make the necessary changes.

I think Joyce is not the only reason but is probably the one thing that has tipped people over the edge.

for example, I am one of those supporters

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I think Joyce is not the only reason but is probably the one thing that has tipped people over the edge.

for example, I am one of those supporters

In incident investigation we would call him the "presenting problem." However, as you say, there are also many other reasons sitting behind Joyce, and I think the club will find that a new manager will not, by himself, make up what has been lost. It's going to be a long haul back from the current situation.

Got a phone call from one of the youth team coaches today to get me down to the game on Friday and to get my thoughts on the club as a whole. Respectfully gave him my honest opinion of the coach, club, CFG, next season and our style of play. 

Edited by n i k o