Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/18/manchester-city-chinese-club-sichuan-jiuniun-third-tier-portfolio-cfg

We just move further down the pecking order. 

If CFG ever get enough teams for their own league we are odds on to be relegated. 

Buying clubs for fun makes absolutely no sense what so ever. They can't get right one if their project sides let alone multiple teams. A scouting network that does fuk all for one of those sides let alone multiple sides. Get one club up and running and competing with a strong side then move on to another!! We're doomed!!! They didn't care after the 2nd year they had us let alone now!! Sell up and move on CFG you ruined us!!! 

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/18/manchester-city-chinese-club-sichuan-jiuniun-third-tier-portfolio-cfg

We just move further down the pecking order. 

If CFG ever get enough teams for their own league we are odds on to be relegated. 

Isn't there a rule within the Asian Football Confederation that two clubs majority owned by the same interests can't compete in the Asian Champions League at the same time - or some restriction like that on participation?

Not that this will apply to us any time soon of course.

All CFG are doing is trying to hoover up as much talent as they can. Only the very, very cream will ever have a chance of playing for Manchester City, but the rest will be carefully placed with clubs that pose no threat to the EPL side. CFG doesn't care a fuck about the clubs themselves.

I actually think FIFA needs to step in and restrict ownership to one club per confederation. Otherwise, it's bad for the game as a whole.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Isn't there a rule within the Asian Football Confederation that two clubs majority owned by the same interests can't compete in the Asian Champions League at the same time - or some restriction like that on participation?

Not that this will apply to us any time soon of course.

All CFG are doing is trying to hoover up as much talent as they can. Only the very, very cream will ever have a chance of playing for Manchester City, but the rest will be carefully placed with clubs that pose no threat to the EPL side. CFG doesn't care a fuck about the clubs themselves.

I actually think FIFA needs to step in and restrict ownership to one club per confederation. Otherwise, it's bad for the game as a whole.

I would take it further and just go with only allowed an interest in one club (directly or indirectly).

• Like 1

Well, my membership pack confirmation email arrived today, along with a pdf membership ticket to give me entry to our first home game against Sydney FC.

t's that time of the year again. There's no better feeling than the moment your City membership pack arrives at your doorstep.

We're just sending you a quick note to let you know that your membership pack is on the way as we speak! If you would like to keep an eye on it, please follow this link and enter your MEMBER ID xxxxxx as the Tracking ID. 

Wear your City colours with pride this season, and we look forward to seeing you at AAMI Park for our first home match against Sydney FC!

A PDF of your card is attached to this email. If your card does not arrive in time for the next game, please print the PDF and scan at the gate to gain entry.

If you have any further questions, please call the membership team on 1300 255 432 during business hours or email membership@Melbournecityfc.com.au.

Kind Regards,
Melbourne City FC

I declined a season ticket purchase this season so who knows what level of incompetence is behind this?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Well, my membership pack confirmation email arrived today, along with a pdf membership ticket to give me entry to our first home game against Sydney FC.

I declined a season ticket purchase this season so who knows what level of incompetence is behind this?

That is so poor. Wtf City?

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I believe so, sending address is no-reply@fulfilment.net.au

Melbourne city logo and membership phone number

@belaguttman I would be be asking the question by either of mcfcstripe@sportsubs.com.au, or call at +61 3 9457 1765.

Just because it looks genuine doesn't mean it is. I regularly get phishing e-mails purporting to be from my internet provider iinet.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@belaguttman I would be be asking the question by either of mcfcstripe@sportsubs.com.au, or call at +61 3 9457 1765.

Just because it looks genuine doesn't mean it is. I regularly get phishing e-mails purporting to be from my internet provider iinet.

They've actually sent me an active membership with an allocated seat, what I was asking for at the start of the season. It's far too late for the derby, I've already made arrangements out of Melbourne. They haven't bothered to explain why now, it's just arrived out of the blue. I'm not sure what to make of it but I'd guess that someone thinks that it would look better if we outnumber the seagulls

Edited by belaguttman

57 minutes ago, Jovan said:

For CFG it's all about the size of the market, the commercial gain and political gain. In China's case, it's also about flexing it's muscles on the global stage in global events. It's going to take time but they have the dollars and the backing of President Xi Jinping to make it happen. Will our ScoMo step up to the challenge :lol:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-07-13/soccer-balls-and-china-s-billions

"For Xi, soccer is now an integral part of China’s transformation into a global powerhouse, said Liu Dongfeng, professor at the school of economics and management at the Shanghai University of Sport. “It’s his version of making China great again,” he said. “Football is not necessarily the means to that end, but at least football should at least match that status. It’s really hard to find the correct word to describe it—it’s massive. There’s no parallel.” "

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

All you can do is laugh by now. One day they will all be broken up and sold and then clubs can turn into clubs again. 

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Does anyone know how they manage the other clubs? 

The only one I know a little about is New York City (80% ownership). CFG is not popular there either after initial enthusiasm.

I think you'll find that CFG only "manages" those clubs where it has majority ownership. According to Wikipedia these are :
Manchester City (100%);
Melbourne City (100%);
Club Athletico Torque (100%);
New York City (80%)
Wikipedia says CFG owns 100% of Sichuan Jiuniu, but I think that is incorrect because of the interests of China Sports Capital and UBTECH.

The other clubs in the CFG stable are:
Girona (44.3%); and 
Yokohama F. Marinos (20%).

Edited by jw1739

On 21/02/2019 at 10:55 AM, belaguttman said:

A-League 'clubs' aren't real clubs, they're franchises

I'm not sure that that's true. I think that you'll find that Melbourne City (for example) is an entity owned (ultimately) by City Football Group, and exists in its own right. What it has, as do the other clubs except Wellington, is a licence to play in the A-League for 20 seasons (Wellington has a shorter period). It is the licence that FFA controls.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure that that's true. I think that you'll find that Melbourne City (for example) is an entity owned (ultimately) by City Football Group, and exists in its own right. What it has, as do the other clubs except Wellington, is a licence to play in the A-League for 20 seasons (Wellington has a shorter period). It is the licence that FFA controls.

They certainly aren't fan owned or operated (or even influenced). They are independently owned, as are most franchise operations, but rely on a license from FFA that can be withdrawn. In that case, the business has no other reason to operate, no other competition to play in

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

They certainly aren't fan owned or operated (or even influenced). They are independently owned, as are most franchise operations, but rely on a license from FFA that can be withdrawn. In that case, the business has no other reason to operate, no other competition to play in

But that's no different to any other football club. Clubs, irrespective of ownership, have to be approved to compete in a competition - sometimes, for example, a club will not achieve promotion because its ground doesn't meet the standard required of a higher division. Some competitions are by invitation only. Others by application - Manchester United famously (and reluctantly) withdrew from the 1999-2000 FA Cup. The requirement to have an A-League licence doesn't make us a franchise at all - we're owned lock, stock and barrel by Manchester City, part of CFG.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

But that's no different to any other football club. Clubs, irrespective of ownership, have to be approved to compete in a competition - sometimes, for example, a club will not achieve promotion because its ground doesn't meet the standard required of a higher division. Some competitions are by invitation only. Others by application - Manchester United famously (and reluctantly) withdrew from the 1999-2000 FA Cup. The requirement to have an A-League licence doesn't make us a franchise at all - we're owned lock, stock and barrel by Manchester City, part of CFG.

How's it any different from McDonalds or 7 Eleven, that are franchises?

Business format franchising requires a unique relationship between the franchisor (the owner of the system) and the franchisee (the owner of the individual outlet), which is commonly referred to as a "commercial marriage".

This ongoing business relationship includes the product, service and trademark, as well as the entire business concept itself from marketing strategy and plan, operational standards, systems and formats, to training, quality control and ongoing assistance, guidance and supervision.

This describes the current arrangement between the business entities operating teams and the FFA. Once the HAL is run independently then this will change. AFAIK the teams still have to use the FFA template websites, uniforms approved by FFA etc

A-league clubs operate under license. They were formed for the same reason. How many clubs would exist if they lose license. Also, the 'real' clubs would have the teams starting from Under-x age. They would also have a proper ground location and facilities.  We have hybrid situation not comparable to other more football regions.

This whole Bruno debacle says that Melbourne City FC is there for CFG own purpose and self interest than bringing a successful club for supporters. They are arrogant to think they know what's best and stubborn to pursue a path and make decisions that oppose everything fans desire. I haven't read one positive post in the last week about the club and now every club post on all social media platforms is being attacked, long standing members are pulling out of the club, ones that are still there are bewildered how they can be treated poorly in this way. I have 10 in my group that go to games and they're all talking about pulling the pin because this shabby treatment, arrogance and disregard has found them not feeling any connections to the club whatsoever. The club feels more hollow than ever. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Listened to sen just now and they are all over this Bruno Crap.

They said they invited someone at the club to come on air and they refused.

Another opportunity lost by the club with absolutely no leadership.

The shambolic circus continues.

There is leadership, but that leadership is shit. There is no chance that we will ever receive an explanation from City. Our only hope is that someone else spills the beans. The club has dismantled all forms of group communication over the past two years - "City Voice" and the Fan Representative Group - and we are reduced to trying to communicate as individuals. My experience even requesting a roving microphone for press conferences - not exactly rocket science or controversial - doesn't even receive an acknowledgment of receipt let alone an actual reply.

Let's get our cards on the table here. City is ultimately owned by a member of the Al Nahyan royal family of Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, hardly a bastion of democracy. Simon Pearce and Munn are just puppets in City Football Group, which exists to sportswash the UAE. Criticism will be ignored and no explanations will be given.

CFG now has considerable influence over FFA, and maybe this is what Steven Lowy alluded to when he "feared for the future of Australian football."  There are similarities between the Stajcic sacking and the treatment dished out to Bruno. It does not surprise me that Bruno's termination was delayed until now - until the transfer window was out of sight and FFA firmly in CFG's pocket.

These are difficult times indeed.

• Like 1

In a true club, members have a stake at some level in the club, even if, these days, it isn't ownership. We have no stake, we aren't members, we are only season ticket holders. The franchise doesn't even rely on our attendance on game-day, the 'customer' is really Foxtel/Network 10. The lack of accountability to us is understandable from the nature of the relationship

2 hours ago, silloth52 said:

just received this email from mfc my reply "dont care joyce out"

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha 

I just did the same thing! Told them I will not go to any more games or renew any memberships until Joyce was gone! 

Said they didnt care about supporters and fans and why should I care

Obviously I will watch on TV and go through all emotions but I feel by going to the games I am somewhat supporting Joyce, i would go if the terrace had a Joyce Out theme and chants.

48 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha 

I just did the same thing! Told them I will not go to any more games or renew any memberships until Joyce was gone! 

Said they didnt care about supporters and fans and why should I care

Obviously I will watch on TV and go through all emotions but I feel by going to the games I am somewhat supporting Joyce, i would go if the terrace had a Joyce Out theme and chants.

I get two of these e-mails at least every week, and sometimes more frequently than that. They come from Sportsubs on behalf of the membership section. My understanding is that they are sent to everyone on the club's mailing list - which is basically everyone who's ever contacted the club about anything.

Pretty usual for any business in the leisure and pleasure sector.

There's an "unsubscribe" link at the bottom if you don't want to receive them. However, if you do that you won't hear about special offers etc.

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1

Our mistake was not to draw a line in the sand when these blokes took over on the Red & White.

our supporters were too wish washy though and I for one didn’t have the stomach for a brawl over what was supposed to be a distraction from work etc.

Because we got bent over on that, now we are getting bent over regularly. CFG don’t respect us because we didn’t stand up to them, bullies that they are.

• Like 1