Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

6 hours ago, jeffplz said:

It was 50/50 with Ernie Merrick. A shit team inherited the coach of another shit team, but his only resume booster was his experience. Complete luck that hes done so well with the current crop of Jets. 

Bulshit no luck at all, their Chinese owner has put more in the Jets than CFG did this season. Combine a good coach with 5 or 6 decent players and you do well in this league.

In the recent articles it is once again written that CFG only spends once it sees a return. The is league is a mess, Cahill was a flop - hence we end up with lower quality marquees.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

tenor.gif

@jeffplz, don't know why you're bothering.

I'm exploring different forms of communication and seeing which sticks

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Bulshit no luck at all, their Chinese owner has put more in the Jets than CFG did this season. Combine a good coach with 5 or 6 decent players and you do well in this league.

In the recent articles it is once again written that CFG only spends once it sees a return. The is league is a mess, Cahill was a flop - hence we end up with lower quality marquees.

So you'd be happy with us appointing Ernie Fucking Merrick instead of Joyce this season?

4 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I'm exploring different forms of communication and seeing which sticks

So you'd be happy with us appointing Ernie Fucking Merrick instead of Joyce this season?

I don't mind him - does he know how to use subs and can he work with passionate adult individuals? But only in combination with an investor who doesn't mind spending a coin of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

I don't mind him - does he know how to use subs and can he work with passionate adult individuals? But only in combination with an investor who doesn't mind spending a coin of course.

Be honest with me Mr MO. If you heard in the pre-season that we signed Ernie Merrick you'd be fuming

5 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Be honest with me Mr MO. If you heard in the pre-season that we signed Ernie Merrick you'd be fuming

I equally disappointed with Joyce, and are still on the fence about him - Haven't been impressed so far.

All this talk aside, I think we got some good signings coming are way - this season was recovery mode. The Tim Cunthill debacle has just cost us money and we needed to recover. 

2 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Do you keep shit players?

No, you don't sign shit players. Of every team will lose some players each season but you develop players, and also develop a team. It's not all or nothing, I'm just suggesting that our balance between recruitment and retention is impeding the development of a team. We effectively create 2 teams a season, one during the long pre-season, and then a major turnover in January. it does suggest (what we all know) that we aren't getting our recruitment right, but it also has an enduring effect that impedes the development of team culture. One thing we have all seen repeatedly is thet so many of our ex-'shit players' develop under the influence of a nurturing strong team culture, whereas they often have stagnated or even withered at City

You can't buy culture, you have to develop it.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, n i k o said:

Useless Offseason Fact: Melbourne City FC has no less than 40 club sponsors. Never would have thought it was that many. 

I wonder why the minnows actually bother considering that we are in effect owned by the governments of the UAE and the PRC.

Well, he put a fair dollop of gloss on the season I'd say. Getting closer to winning the A-League? We were 21 points behind the winner after a season of only 27 matches.

Otherwise, fairly neutral. Endorsed Warren Joyce - what else could he do?

I think we'll get a better indication of the expectations for next season when we see any further departures and then signings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well, he put a fair dollop of gloss on the season I'd say. Getting closer to winning the A-League? We were 21 points behind the winner after a season of only 27 matches.

Otherwise, fairly neutral. Endorsed Warren Joyce - what else could he do?

I think we'll get a better indication of the expectations for next season when we see any further departures and then signings.

He cant do anything else, he has to be all about positivity. I kinda wish that the head of Melbourne could do this after Mr Mediocrity gets the chop, just so as Melbourne stops feeling like Mini Manchester. And i would just like some truth to be thrown in, "we are still failing in the Aleague because..........." or "the salary cap has been a thorn in the side of what we are trying to achieve in Melbourne" give me something other than we finished the highest we ever have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

He cant do anything else, he has to be all about positivity. I kinda wish that the head of Melbourne could do this after Mr Mediocrity gets the chop, just so as Melbourne stops feeling like Mini Manchester. And i would just like some truth to be thrown in, "we are still failing in the Aleague because..........." or "the salary cap has been a thorn in the side of what we are trying to achieve in Melbourne" give me something other than we finished the highest we ever have.

My thoughts exactly. 

Would be nice if Munn did a sort of post season review etc. But then again he would say to much either.

16 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

I kind of like the idea of Mubarak doing that, but the reality is that he can't. Gallop and Lowy have repeatedly shown that their skins are as thick as those of a rhinoceros and are prepared to tough it out whatever is thrown at them either from above (FIFA) or below from football in Australia. More jibes at the way football is administered in this country will simply make them dig in deeper.

CFG's position is that it either has to stay with Melbourne City and make the situation work by better management all round, or it has to quit. And pride says there's no way it will quit as a loser.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to City's World Cup event last night at The Imp. They were running a competition if you upload a photo to social media and #CITYWC18 you win a prize. My girlfriend entered the comp and won, the prize were two ugly City hats and a "VIP tour" of City Football Academy that includes sitting in on a players training session. 

I feel like the club has gotten a lot better at these kind of things lately, hosting an event for the world cup, having prizes. All the player events they had at the stomping ground this year. Even the fact they brought back player meet and greets after games (which they almost abandoned in the 16/17 season)

Just thought I'd give some credit where its due.

• Like 2

So if we assume Arzani goes to Manchester/Europe after this coming season, and has a fee of around  £10m+. It would mean that within 5 years, CFG would have made a profit of  $5m+ from the $12m spent on the club, and the $15m spent on the training facility.

I dont know how much they lose per season on running costs ($2m-$3m??), but with that return^ surely we would see more focus on Melbourne City compared to other CFG investments.

11 minutes ago, haz said:

So if we assume Arzani goes to Manchester/Europe after this coming season, and has a fee of around  £10m+. It would mean that within 5 years, CFG would have made a profit of  $5m+ from the $12m spent on the club, and the $15m spent on the training facility.

I dont know how much they lose per season on running costs ($2m-$3m??), but with that return^ surely we would see more focus on Melbourne City compared to other CFG investments.

A drop in a very big pool of oil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Football_Group

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A drop in a very big pool of oil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Football_Group

Yes I realise that, but in comparison to other clubs in general.

If you were selling t-shirts and one colour of t-shirt gave you a greater income than other short colours. You would focus on that one colour of shirt no?

I know that $amount is not huge, but I doubt NYC will turn a profit for a few years minium

Edited by haz

30 minutes ago, haz said:

Yes I realise that, but in comparison to other clubs in general.

If you were selling t-shirts and one colour of t-shirt gave you a greater income than other short colours. You would focus on that one colour of shirt no?

I know that $amount is not huge, but I doubt NYC will turn a profit for a few years minium

I know what you're saying, but Marwood has already admitted that CFG misread the investment climate in Australia and in so many words has said that FFA has too many roadblocks in place for what CFG hoped to do here. Well, that's my take on it anyway. So I think that they will take any windfall gains they make from us and won't be putting it back into our business until FFA starts to remove those roadblocks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I know what you're saying, but Marwood has already admitted that CFG misread the investment climate in Australia and in so many words has said that FFA has too many roadblocks in place for what CFG hoped to do here. Well, that's my take on it anyway. So I think that they will take any windfall gains they make from us and won't be putting it back into our business until FFA starts to remove those roadblocks.

Well in that case, I hope they wave their money in the FFA's face, but when FFA come to them to sign a marquee, they say 'oops' sorry we cant spend it. We all know know how much FFA love their finances

Annnnddd further down the pecking order we go. How long until we get rejects from all these sister clubs??

City Football Group could soon acquire a Ligue 1 club

It seems Ligue 1 club Toulouse FC could be about to link up with Premier League champions Manchester City.

On Monday, the French club’s president Olivier Sadran announced that negotiations are under way regarding a partnership with a “big European club”.

“We are working on a capital increase plan to give more resources to the club,” Sadran told reporters.

“With an industrial partner that brings added value through a partnership with a big European club.

“This partnership will allow us to have more skills, be more consistent, and be more efficient in the game.”

Toulouse website lesviolets.com claim that club will be City, and the French outfit added further fuel to the speculation when they unveiled their new City Football Group-esque club crest.

The partnership is expected to be made official in September, and will allow Toulouse to benefit from the range of expertise at CFG’s other member clubs, as well as take players on loan.

MLS side New York City and A-League club Melbourne City were the first members of the CFG, alongside their Manchester counterpart.

In 2014, Japanese club Yokohama F. Marinos were also acquired, before La Liga side Girona and Uruguayan Primera División outfit Club Atlético Torque joined in 2017.

CFG owners the Abu Dhabi United Group have previously expressed a desire to own at least one team on every continent and have also been linked with investment in AS Saint-Étienne, as well as clubs in China, Ecuador and South Africa.

https://en.onefootball.com/city-football-group-could-soon-acquire-a-ligue-1-club/

https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2018/6/25/17501558/manchester-city-and-toulouse-fc-in-talks-to-form-new-partnership

Even their new badge looks awfully familar....

Edited by haz

34 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I bet they won't be forced to wear baby  City Blue

Difference is they have been around for 75+ years, we were a franchise that was only 5 years old

Edit: FTFY

Edited by haz
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...