Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

1 hour ago, Deeming said:

@jw1739 @bt50 @Murfy1 all these have been of great benefit. We wouldn't be where we are without CFG but none of these required us to switch colours.

We were told there was a need to align our colours for branding, co-sponserships etc (I can't recall the exact wording) but we've yet to see any of this.

@Deeming You may be interested in the following:

Ferran Soriano, CEO of CFG, stated that: "Following a lengthy consultation with the Club's members, partners, the FFA and a range of other stakeholders, we believe the changes announced today will strengthen the Club's ties with the community to which it belongs while expanding its ability to grow commercially and harness the many benefits of belonging to the City family."
From https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2014/6/5/5783474/melbourne-heart-re-brands-to-melbourne-city

The above was when we changed from red-and-white to that hybrid kit, white with the light blue and dark blue vertical stripes.

I haven't managed to find any official CFG statement when we finally adopted the Manchester City strip. But David Gallop had this to say:

City has long campaigned for the ability to wear blue, but initial attempts to make the switch when it transitioned from the Heart moniker in 2014 were scuppered by complaints from Sydney FC — which also wears the colour. But Football Federation Australia chief David Gallop said the decision to finally approve the push at a board meeting last week was a “common sense” approach.“Obviously (Sydney’s) concerns were taken on board, but we felt the competition had evolved to a point where there are a number of uses of light blue in the competition apart from Sydney FC,” Gallop said.

“And the global identity of Manchester City perhaps wasn’t being fully utilised in a situation where their strip was a hybrid of white and city blue. “We just felt that it’s a smart move for the A-League to embrace that global identity and allow them to play in their home strip in city blue.

“A lot of their training gear, their socks — even their net — so many things were that colour anyway, so it seemed right in a common sense way to allow things to evolve to the point where they can now play in their home strip.”
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-kit-change-will-mirror-manchester-citys-blue/news-story/8d9377e6afa872c314a7b6d26b4cb397

These "identity" and "brand" statements are sufficiently vague that while it might be hard to show that playing in sky blue brings any advantages to Melbourne City it is equally hard to to prove that it does not. Unfortunately. Personally I think it's complete bullshit. Arnott's is a highly successful brand, but each variety of biscuit has its own packaging.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@Deeming You may be interested in the following:

Ferran Soriano, CEO of CFG, stated that: "Following a lengthy consultation with the Club's members, partners, the FFA and a range of other stakeholders, we believe the changes announced today will strengthen the Club's ties with the community to which it belongs while expanding its ability to grow commercially and harness the many benefits of belonging to the City family."
From https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2014/6/5/5783474/melbourne-heart-re-brands-to-melbourne-city

The above was when we changed from red-and-white to that hybrid kit, white with the light blue and dark blue vertical stripes.

I haven't managed to find any official CFG statement when we finally adopted the Manchester City strip. But David Gallop had this to say:

City has long campaigned for the ability to wear blue, but initial attempts to make the switch when it transitioned from the Heart moniker in 2014 were scuppered by complaints from Sydney FC — which also wears the colour. But Football Federation Australia chief David Gallop said the decision to finally approve the push at a board meeting last week was a “common sense” approach.“Obviously (Sydney’s) concerns were taken on board, but we felt the competition had evolved to a point where there are a number of uses of light blue in the competition apart from Sydney FC,” Gallop said.

“And the global identity of Manchester City perhaps wasn’t being fully utilised in a situation where their strip was a hybrid of white and city blue. “We just felt that it’s a smart move for the A-League to embrace that global identity and allow them to play in their home strip in city blue.

“A lot of their training gear, their socks — even their net — so many things were that colour anyway, so it seemed right in a common sense way to allow things to evolve to the point where they can now play in their home strip.”
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-kit-change-will-mirror-manchester-citys-blue/news-story/8d9377e6afa872c314a7b6d26b4cb397

These "identity" and "brand" statements are sufficiently vague that while it might be hard to show that playing in sky blue brings any advantages to Melbourne City it is equally hard to to prove that it does not. Unfortunately. Personally I think it's complete bullshit. Arnott's is a highly successful brand, but each variety of biscuit has its own packaging.

Putting colour preferences to the side I'm trying to think of any benefit there is on a local or international level in wearing blue. It feels like it has a negative impact on a local level and internationally has no positive or negative impact except for certain people to toot their horn about how they have a global brand. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

Has any other CFG club changed to City Blue or changed their name to something City? Why we're we signalled out? And in turms of "global brand" no one cares outside of Australia. If anything it would turn international people away by saying I'm a (insert EPL team hear) supporter and I don't like Manchester City so why would I support Melbourne City. Ffs still wish Heart was back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Has any other CFG club changed to City Blue or changed their name to something City? Why we're we signalled out? And in turms of "global brand" no one cares outside of Australia. If anything it would turn international people away by saying I'm a (insert EPL team hear) supporter and I don't like Manchester City so why would I support Melbourne City. Ffs still wish Heart was back.

Not necasarily 'changed' per say but.... New York City FC. Have been playing in blue since inception. 

9 hours ago, Forever City said:

I mean more like clubs CFG have bought not started up.

According to Wikipedia, the subsidiaries of City Football Group are Manchester City (100% ownership), Melbourne City (100%), New York City (80%), Club Athletico Torque (100%), Yokohama F. Marinos (20%) and Girona FC (44%), plus other entities that are not football clubs as such. Those  clubs where CFG has a controlling interest all wear sky blue (Torque has a big dark blue "T" on the jersey but the main colour is sky blue). Where CFG has an interest but not a controlling one, Yokohama plays in royal blue, and Girona in red-and-white stripes.

CFG has indicated that it will probably acquire other clubs in due course. Quite what will happen to the colours of any newly-acquired club where CFG has a controlling interest remains to be seen.

13 hours ago, Forever City said:

Maybe you you need to change your forum name ...

4FE3CB1C-D929-46F2-A7A9-DC4FBF8FF1AC.gif.811c1fedcce05c5b64f95195a594a8a1.gif

• Like 1

Could be in the youth thread but,

City set sights on NPL with two new teams

Joey Lynch - @joeylynchy Feb 13, 2018
  •  
  •  
  •  

Whilst it may have ended in a heartbreaking Grand Final defeat at the hands of the Western Sydney Wanderers, there is no doubt that the 2017/18 Y-League season was a successful one for Melbourne City.

In conjunction with making the Y-League Grand Final for the second successive year, the season also saw several players make the leap from youth to senior football.

Four players that started in City’s Round 1 Y-League win over the Brisbane Roar; Daniel Arzani, Nathaniel Atkinson, Denis Genreau and Connor Metcalfe, all subsequently went on to appear for Warren Joyce’s senior side.

It’s these promotions that City's Head of Academy Joe Palatsides takes the most satisfaction from, explaining that it is these elevations to the senior squad and not necessarily results on the park, that he and his coaching staff are striving for:

“Our goal is completely different; the coach’s goals are completely different in terms of individual development of each player in the squad and ultimately getting them into A-League football,” Palatsides explains

“Not many people would have expected Nathaniel Atkinson to play A-League football this season and I think he’s a great success story coming out of Tasmania.

“Connor Metcalfe, who we all thought was a very good young player who was just going through some injury concerns early on, ended debuting and he’s going to be a good player in the future

“Daniel Arzani, we’ve always seen him as an A-League player, but he spent a lot of time with our youth boys getting better.”

“Denis Genreau hasn’t played much yet this year but is a very good player”

As well as these players that have made their A-League debuts, Palatsides says that the development he witnessed from of his side may indicate that City’s A-League side can expect more reinforcements soon:

“You look at all the other players around the squad,” he said

“You’ve got the Josh Cavallo’s and the Lucas Portelli’s, all the other boys that are scholarship players and the good young players, the Lesiotis’, they’re all hovering around the [A-League] squad.

“We’ve got a lot of good young talented players and we’re hoping that there’s going to be a few more making an A-League appearance.

The conclusion of the Y-League season now sees the focus of the staff at the City Football Academy turn to the NPL.

City’s academy will once again have a team in the senior NPL competition, with the club set to compete in the NPL2 Eastern Conference.

It is a league that Palatsides’ side found some success in last season, seeing off a late season charge from the Goulburn Valley Suns to finish in third place behind the Dandenong Thunder and Dandenong City.

The more physical playstyle of the NPL presents an important developmental challenge for City’s prospects; with the chance to play in a senior men's competition.

Nathaniel Atkinson in particular improved substantially in the competition last season, the young Tasmanian nailing down a place in the starting side with standout performances against the likes of Richmond SC and Northcote City before impressing the newly arrived Warren Joyce late in the season.

Beyond this participation in the NPL senior competition, City will also have a team in the NPL2 Eastern Conference U20 competition, with Palatsides excited about the next generation of players that City fans will be able to see run out:

“Young [Tristian] Patsiotis has done really well this year,” Palatsides said

“He’s not physically ready for the A-League but lately he’s been taken up to the A-league squad [for training] and he’s done very well, he’s going to be one for the future.

“Luke Duzel is another one that made his NYL debut and performed well so we’re thinking those two are going to good for us

“That 2002 group that [U20 Head Coach] Petr Kratky has in the 20s; Dalibor Markovic, Jordan Bos, Nick Theodosiou, Giovanni Stellitano, they’re all national team players.

“That’s the next wave of what we consider a very exciting bunch of young players coming through

“So, anyone that gets a chance to go and see the 20's will see some exciting young footballers."

With the City Football Academy constantly growing, 2018 will also present a first for the club.

City’s academy will not only enter teams into senior and U20 NPL competitions, but will also debut teams comprised of some of the best young talent in the NPLs U18 and U15 competitions.

The U18 coach will be a name that will be familiar one to City fans, with Davey van't Schip, son of former Melbourne City Head Coach John van't Schip, taking the side’s reins.

van't Schip, already a prolific striker at the highest NPL level with Pascoe Vale, has previously worked within the City Football Academy as an assistant as he completed his coaching certificates in preparation for his first coaching opportunity while Simon Zappia takes the reigns with the U15 side.

Melbourne City’s Senior and U20 NPL sides will commence their seasons with a trip away to Nunawading City this Sunday, with the U18s and U15s heading to face the Eastern Lions at Gardiners Creek Reserve.

Melbourne City NPL Squad: LIAM KENNEDY, JAMES DELIANOV, MITCHELL GRAHAM , LUCAS PORTELLI, AIDEN FARQHUAR, YASIN NUR, MARK KARLIC, DYLAN PERIAS, SEBASTIAN KIS, ANTHONY LESIOTIS, TRISTAN PATSIOTIS, CONNOR METCALFE, DENIS GENREAU, JOSH CAVALLO, LUKE DUZEL, YUSEF AHMED, MARKO DELIC, ZAC BATES, GIANLUCA IANNUCCI, MOUDI NAJJAR, JESSE MATTHEWS, NICHOLAS THEODOSIOU, IDRUS ABDULAH

Melbourne City U20 NPL Squad: DANIEL SMITH, AHMED TALEB, KRISTIAN BOMBACI, BEN PIERIAS, BILLY SKLIROS, JADE WARING, DALIBOR MARKOVIC, GREG ZACHARIAS, ANTHONY D’AMBROSIO, HARRY POLITIDIS, JOSH VARGA, LUCA TAVERE, JORDAN BOS, DENNIS MENELAOU, GEORGE GERONDARAS, GIOVANNI STELLATANO, SAM MORRISON, YAYA DUKULY

Melbourne City U18s NPL Squad: DARCY ANASTOVSKI, RAFAELE BORGES REDRIGUES, MAXWELL BRANOV, LUCAS BYRNS, ADAM EL HAYEK, LIAM FARRUGIA, DOMENIC FOLINO, MATHEW GRIMALDI, ZAC KOCANKOVSKI, ALEX KONDOLEON, THOMAS LAMBIRIS, DANIEL LUCENTE, LIKE ORESTI, JAKE PARISH, EMILE PEIOS, THOMAS PISANI, JOSH RACHELE, MERT TUNA, JORDI VALADON

Melbourne City U15s NPL Squad: DANTE AVAIN, UROS BABOVIC, ALEX BECVINOVSKI, KASEY BOS, RHYS BOZINOVSKI, MAX CAPUTO, LAWRENCE CARRUSO, GIORDANO GIACOMANTONIO, ETHAN GOULDING, OSCAR KARAMOSHOS, ALEX MENELAOU, SAM MUMFORD, JUSTIN PAOLILLO, GIORGIO SERDENES, CHARBEL SHAMOON, LUCAS SMARAGDIOU, ADRIAN TAIRI, ZAC TAWEEL, MEHMET UYSAL, KAI WENZEL

On 15/02/2018 at 10:24 PM, n i k o said:

Putting colour preferences to the side I'm trying to think of any benefit there is on a local or international level in wearing blue. It feels like it has a negative impact on a local level and internationally has no positive or negative impact except for certain people to toot their horn about how they have a global brand. 

And right there my friend you have summed up the entire “profession” of marketing 

8 hours ago, MattHutch96 said:

Hi everyone,

Posting this in here again, I appreciate that it takes peoples time to answer the questionnaire but all responses help me with all research I am conducting.

https://goo.gl/forms/7yyI2YsmrnSYlp723

Thanks,

Matt

How many responses have you had from each of the CFG clubs?

For what it's worth, I filled it in during a slow work day.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. just saw the score and crowd from the Newy vs Sydney..... wtf is wrong with CFG? Munn should have let the Chinese purchase us, we would have kept our colours too

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

Inb4  Adelaide with their new (potential) international owners, become a better side next season and push City further down the ladder (ala Newcastle). CFG pull out, cant afford the re-name and re-branding so we are stuck being broke again with City blue.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Inb4  Adelaide with their new (potential) international owners, become a better side next season and push City further down the ladder (ala Newcastle). CFG pull out, cant afford the re-name and re-branding so we are stuck being broke again with City blue.

I think that our future depends very much on the importance that CFG places on the success of our A-League team relative to other activities of the club. I sometimes think that perhaps we don't have the focus on the A-League that the other clubs have.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that our future depends very much on the importance that CFG places on the success of our A-League team relative to other activities of the club. I sometimes think that perhaps we don't have the focus on the A-League that the other clubs have.

Don't need to 'think' that JW, it obvious. Both from the general interest of Australia in football and also the quality of the league in comparison to Asia and the rest of the world.

Although CFG paid peanuts for us (in terms of their wealth), the returns will be small. Even if they have already made 100% ROI, that 100%  value ($15m-$30m) could be only half of a value of a player they sell from their Spain based club or even SA club.

On 17/02/2018 at 10:55 PM, Blackout said:

How many responses have you had from each of the CFG clubs?

For what it's worth, I filled it in during a slow work day.

Sorry for the late reply, don't often come on to here! I have had around 35 from each, which after starting to look through the data, has been a good number, as common themes occur, especially around values etc. However, this forum pulls up helpful details!

Thanks for completing it, is a massive help for me!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MattHutch96 said:

Sorry for the late reply, don't often come on to here! I have had around 35 from each, which after starting to look through the data, has been a good number, as common themes occur, especially around values etc. However, this forum pulls up helpful details!

Thanks for completing it, is a massive help for me!

Post your results when you're are finished. I want to know which club's fans are most depressed

• Like 5

Very good read. With interesting points I made bold

How Graham Arnold mastered the A-League salary cap at Sydney FC

By Dominic Bossi
Updated5 January 2018 — 2:58pmfirst published 4 January 2018 — 5:45pm

The rigid walls of the A-League salary cap makes half the job of coaching in Australia seem like accounting. Not all have navigated the maze of rules, regulations, expenses and salaries and fewer have flourished in it. But within the constraints aimed to level the playing field, Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold has found a way to streak ahead of the rest. They set new records, won every trophy in 2017 and are on track to claim the premiership once more. Within these supposed equalising restrictions, Sydney FC are showing little sign of slowing down.

Recruitment

Bonus signing: Polish international Adrian Mierzejewski earns marquee wages within Sydney FC's salary cap.

Operating within the boundaries of the strict A-League squad regulations can seem half the job of coaches. "We're looking. I've got my video analysis team working hard to find what's available," Arnold said last month of their approach to the upcoming January transfer window.

Before Arnold arrived at Sydney FC, there weren't any video analysts. Today, they are among the hardest workers inside the football department's offices at Macquarie University. It's not just tactical information dissected and distributed by chief analyst Doug Kors, but detailed criteria of every potential transfer target of the club.

"We've come up with a system that's a multiple check system so we can start to shorten down the list of players we've sent through and we can give the coaches key information alongside video to make a judgment on the players," Kors told Fairfax Media in November 2016.

Kors and the club's football manager, Terry McFlynn, categorised players by criteria set out by the club, refined for each position and type of player then handpicked from shortlists by the Sydney FC coach. Much of this includes information of what happens off the park. Character references make up a big part of their criteria. It's why current marquee Bobo stood out as Sydney FC's preferred striker from a list of 180 applicants.

Now in their 13th year, Sydney FC are starting to develop an impressive network of contacts in world football, and they're using them regularly for the purpose of recruitment. Former coach Vitezslav Lavicka was sought for assistance in signing Filip Holosko. Director Han Berger recommended Arnold look at Jordy Buijs, having spent a year with the Dutch defender while working for De Graafschap. McFlynn reached out to Brazilian international and former teammate, Juninho, for a background check on Bobo while trusted intermediaries from Serbia delivered Sydney FC repeat success with the likes of Milos Ninkovic, Nikola Petkovic and Milos Dimitrijevic. That's all before Arnold opens his phone book.

In a rare triumph for an A-League, team, all four of Sydney's foreigners are firing. Buijs is a stalwart in defence, Bobo the league's top scorer, Ninkovic the reigning Johnny Warren medallist and Adrian Mierzejewski a strong chance to become the next.

Managing the cap

However important, recruitment is still only half the task. Making so many quality players work within a rigid salary cap now of $2.928 million is another job altogether and experience has made Arnold an expert at this delicate balancing act.

Generally, A-League clubs have operated on a "rule of sevens": Seven players earning in the highest bracket ($200,000 or more), seven in the middle tier (between $100,000 and $150,00) and then seven players hovering just above the minimum salary ($61,287). At Sydney FC, Arnold appears to have bucked this trend, largely because of the club's physios and strength and conditioning department.

In the seasons before Arnold took over, Sydney FC led the league for the most amount of games missed by players due to injury, according to the Australian players' union, the PFA. Last season, Sydney FC shared the fewest absences through injury alongside Western Sydney Wanderers with only 19 games missed by players. Veteran defender Alex Wilkinson started all 29 games for the Sky Blues in their A-League campaign.

Since Rhyan Grant suffered a ruptured ACL in a freak training ground incident in the first week of pre-season, the Sky Blues have managed their squad more conservatively this season but have still avoided long-term injuries. Those are the results of fitness guru, Andrew Clark,

"From day one, him and Arnie came in and started changing things," former Sydney FC defender Matt Jurman said in 2015. "It was hard at first. Clarkey led some training work that, if I'm honest, most of us weren't used to. We all had to adapt. But look at us now, this is the fittest we've ever been as a club."

As Clark says, most injuries can be avoided.

"There's a certain percentage [of injuries] that come with fatigue, poor decision and positioning that puts you at risk where an unpreventable injury can occur," Clark told Fairfax Media in March.

With a high availability of players, Sydney FC have little need for rotation. Last year, only 12 Sydney FC players started in 10 games or more and just 18 players featured in more than two games during their 29-game campaign, including finals. By comparison, 25 Adelaide United players played in two games or more in a season the club finished in ninth place and played only 27 domestic games.

What does this mean for their salary cap? The "rule of sevens" doesn't apply at Moore Park. Squad depth is not as pressing a need for Sydney FC as it is at other clubs and they can afford to allocate a larger proportion of their salary cap for their first 11. This has allowed Sydney FC to sign 40-time Poland international, Mierzejewski, inside the salary cap despite earning a salary previously reserved for marquee players.

Arnold's methods

Nothing drives-up a player's value more than success and keeping a winning team together is no easy task. That's where Arnold's emphasis on team culture comes in. Creating a tight bond and family atmosphere within the dressing room has more benefits than just on-field morale, it makes it more difficult for a player to uproot and leave. They have access to one of the best fitness and physio teams in Australian sport, performances have propelled the likes of Danny Vukovic and Grant into national teams, meals are provided by a team chef and most recently, trophies have been delivered.

"Players here want for nothing," Arnold said last month. "Why would anyone leave this for an extra $5000?"

In more tangible terms, it is why captain Alex Brosque offered to play for the minimum salary this season if it meant Sydney FC could keep the bulk of their title-winning team together. However, the club refused to pay him so little.

Experience has taught Arnold many lessons about managing the cap. Sydney's coach learned early in his career to save foreign signings until late in pre-season, offering the same funds for shorter contracts, landing better quality signings with a higher proportionate weekly wages.

Some clubs looked for bargains in foreigners in the past, but it is understood Arnold refuses to entertain a foreign signing worth less than $200,000 a season. If he's going to bring in a player from overseas, it needs to be better than what's available domestically and worth the investment. He now doesn't spend the total at the start of the season, leaving room to manoeuvre in the January transfer window and uses injury replacement regulations effectively, bringing in the likes of experienced Socceroo Luke Wilkshire as a replacement for Grant at no further expense to the cap.

Then there is Arnold's creativity. He has already flagged the idea of signing an Asian visa-player outside of the salary cap in February, reserved specifically for the continental competition. It means the club's football budget may swell, but without affecting their A-League salary cap. This ingenuity stems from the riches on offer at Sydney FC never before afforded to Arnold when coaching Central Coast Mariners. Since taking the reigns of the Sky Blues, Arnold has never spent less than $1.5 million per season on marquee players outside of the salary cap.

This season began with the the loudest calls from clubs to scrap the A-League salary cap. Having found the clearest path through the maze of regulations, removing them could be how others catch-up to the Sky Blues.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-graham-arnold-mastered-the-aleague-salary-cap-at-sydney-fc-20180104-h0dm63.html

Edited by haz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

polish guy on marquee wages inside the cap :tooth:
no visa under 200k
money left over for jan signings 
does 
anyone actually believe those cunts are under the cap?

It is a joke to be honest.  

It goes to show that when there is a salary cap, clubs that are best resourced still dominate, because they can invest in other things outside the squad to give them an advantage.  Its like City with our Youth Set up and the Women's comp.  

Quite simply, FIFA set the rules for how soccer comps are to be governed on the basis that it is a world game - that's where the A-League needs to go ASAP.  When this happens, the game will not die.  Sure, clubs will come and go, but a survival of the fittest competition will invigorate the sport to a level where it will flourish and grow.

I had no problem with the salary cap in the first few years of the League, it was necessary to ensure stability. 12 years down the track though stability has become ossification. I don't blame the smurfs for taking the path that they have though, it's about cleverly using the salary cap. Their strategy does come with some risk though, all they need are a few key injuries and suspensions and their lack of depth will come back to bite them

18 hours ago, haz said:

How Graham Arnold mastered the A-League salary cap at Sydney FC

18 hours ago, haz said:

"We've come up with a system that's a multiple check system so we can start to shorten down the list of players we've sent through and we can give the coaches key information alongside video to make a judgment on the players," Kors told Fairfax Media in November 2016.

Kors and the club's football manager, Terry McFlynn, categorised players by criteria set out by the club, refined for each position and type of player then handpicked from shortlists by the Sydney FC coach. Much of this includes information of what happens off the park. Character references make up a big part of their criteria. It's why current marquee Bobo stood out as Sydney FC's preferred striker from a list of 180 applicants.

Now in their 13th year, Sydney FC are starting to develop an impressive network of contacts in world football, and they're using them regularly for the purpose of recruitment. Former coach Vitezslav Lavicka was sought for assistance in signing Filip Holosko. Director Han Berger recommended Arnold look at Jordy Buijs, having spent a year with the Dutch defender while working for De Graafschap. McFlynn reached out to Brazilian international and former teammate, Juninho, for a background check on Bobo while trusted intermediaries from Serbia delivered Sydney FC repeat success with the likes of Milos Ninkovic, Nikola Petkovic and Milos Dimitrijevic. That's all before Arnold opens his phone book.

And we have Petrillo. Elephant in the room when it comes to our failed signings.

I wonder what his methods are? If there are any.

:droy:

20 March 2018 GMT: 04:27

Manchester City parent posts £71 million loss

18th March 2018

By David Owen

March 18 – City Football Group Limited, the Abu Dhabi- and Chinese-owned entity that holds investments in various football clubs including Premier League champions-elect Manchester City, has posted a £71 million loss from continuing operations for the 13 months to 30 June 2017.

This is not far off double the £37 million loss reported for the previous year. The group attributed this to its US club, New York City FC, and “newly formed service companies” continuing to build their business.

While the group holds investments in Melbourne City, Yokohama F Marinos of Japan, Club Atlético Torque in Uruguay and now Girona FC in Spain, as well as New York City, its figures are dominated by Manchester City.

Out of £514.3 million of revenue in the latest period, the English club generated £473.4 million, with New York City contributing £30.1 million and Melbourne City £8.4 million. The business review underlined that Manchester City had paid its players two Champions League qualification bonuses, presumably as a consequence of the extended reporting period. The club earlier reported a tiny pre-tax profit for 2016-17 of just £104,000.

The group is now 86%-owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan’s Abu Dhabi United Group Investment and Development and 14% by China Media Capital Holdings (CMC).

In July 2016, some 18.4 million shares were issued to CMC at £3.96 a share. This £72.9 million investment took the Chinese company’s stake in City Football Group to 14%. It had initially paid $400 million for a 13% interest in 2005.

CMC founding chairman Ruigang Li sits on the City Football Group board. The Chinese football market is said to be “important to the growth opportunities of the group”.

Since the year-end, City Football Group has also taken 50% of Goals City US, a joint venture with Goals Soccer Centres, an operator of five-a-side facilities.

Edited by Jovan
8.4 million pounds revenue? Must be all the Mooy money.

44 minutes ago, Jovan said:

20 March 2018 GMT: 04:27

Manchester City parent posts £71 million loss

18th March 2018

By David Owen

March 18 – City Football Group Limited, the Abu Dhabi- and Chinese-owned entity that holds investments in various football clubs including Premier League champions-elect Manchester City, has posted a £71 million loss from continuing operations for the 13 months to 30 June 2017.

This is not far off double the £37 million loss reported for the previous year. The group attributed this to its US club, New York City FC, and “newly formed service companies” continuing to build their business.

While the group holds investments in Melbourne City, Yokohama F Marinos of Japan, Club Atlético Torque in Uruguay and now Girona FC in Spain, as well as New York City, its figures are dominated by Manchester City.

Out of £514.3 million of revenue in the latest period, the English club generated £473.4 million, with New York City contributing £30.1 million and Melbourne City £8.4 million. The business review underlined that Manchester City had paid its players two Champions League qualification bonuses, presumably as a consequence of the extended reporting period. The club earlier reported a tiny pre-tax profit for 2016-17 of just £104,000.

The group is now 86%-owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan’s Abu Dhabi United Group Investment and Development and 14% by China Media Capital Holdings (CMC).

In July 2016, some 18.4 million shares were issued to CMC at £3.96 a share. This £72.9 million investment took the Chinese company’s stake in City Football Group to 14%. It had initially paid $400 million for a 13% interest in 2005.

CMC founding chairman Ruigang Li sits on the City Football Group board. The Chinese football market is said to be “important to the growth opportunities of the group”.

Since the year-end, City Football Group has also taken 50% of Goals City US, a joint venture with Goals Soccer Centres, an operator of five-a-side facilities.

Maybe that would explain why we have cheapest marquee in the league and school teacher managing our team?

TBH I just wish now that City Football Group would sell us off and be done with it. We're at the bottom of their pile, and their walk for us does not match their talk. Our squads get weaker, not stronger. If they had plans for us to have good loan players coming to us then those plans have been well and truly scuppered by the "Lampard Rule." We'll never see the likes of David Villa playing for us again.

The groups buying into the A-League now such as those owning Newcastle and Adelaide may not have the wealth of CFG, but because their football club interests are at a lower level in the global scheme of things they are more likely to put more focus on their A-League club than CFG will.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH I just wish now that City Football Group would sell us off and be done with it. We're at the bottom of their pile, and their walk for us does not match their talk. Our squads get weaker, not stronger. If they had plans for us to have good loan players coming to us then those plans have been well and truly scuppered by the "Lampard Rule." We'll never see the likes of David Villa playing for us again.

The groups buying into the A-League now such as those owning Newcastle and Adelaide may not have the wealth of CFG, but because their football club interests are at a lower level in the global scheme of things they are more likely to put more focus on their A-League club than CFG will.

With all respect JW, I don't believe that's quite 100% correct.

I think they do care, sending Roy over last year and acting on his recommendation probably shows they do and want success here - even though it may have been the wrong decision in hindsight.

Without knowing what happens in the inner sanctums of CFG, I believe a more accurate view is they are frustrated with the boundaries they have to work in, imposed by the FFA. Unable to keep McCormack is probably a good example of this if it's true that Villa's demands would have broken the cap.

• Like 5