Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

51 minutes ago, Falastur said:

As mentioned before, while I'd love to see it happen, the sheer amount of money that top teams receive from invites to play friendlies mean that Manchester City simply can't afford to take part in one.

Maybe so. But we could have a tournament Melbourne City, New York City, Girona and Yokahama. Even every two years would be a nice gesture to the fans, especially in Melbourne and New York. We spend money in so many other directions that don't link directly to football, even though they may be beneficial to CFG's business aims into the future, that something that little bit extra for the fans wouldn't go astray.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe so. But we could have a tournament Melbourne City, New York City, Girona and Yokahama. Even every two years would be a nice gesture to the fans, especially in Melbourne and New York. We spend money in so many other directions that don't link directly to football, even though they may be beneficial to CFG's business aims into the future, that something that little bit extra for the fans wouldn't go astray.

Post this on City Voice!....... oh wait

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah, perhaps - although I'd comment that my gut instinct with Yokohama based on everything I've ever heard from them (or not) is that CFG's investment there is a token gesture to Nissan and that Nissan (who own 80% of the team) aren't really that interested in them being considered an actual CFG team. There's also the issue that NYCFC and Yokohama (and Torque, which people seem to not have mentioned here) have their pre-seasons when Melbourne/Manchester/Girona are mid-season, which would cause issues. However, yes, I agree it would be nice, and this was one of the first ever things I considered when NYCFC was founded.

4 hours ago, Falastur said:

Yeah, perhaps - although I'd comment that my gut instinct with Yokohama based on everything I've ever heard from them (or not) is that CFG's investment there is a token gesture to Nissan and that Nissan (who own 80% of the team) aren't really that interested in them being considered an actual CFG team. There's also the issue that NYCFC and Yokohama (and Torque, which people seem to not have mentioned here) have their pre-seasons when Melbourne/Manchester/Girona are mid-season, which would cause issues. However, yes, I agree it would be nice, and this was one of the first ever things I considered when NYCFC was founded.

Fully understand. But I guess my thoughts are that "where there's a will there's a way."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Trueblue gio said:

That story of Bruno is always interesting to read, could have been one match or one decision and Fornaroli and Suarez could have had their career paths switched.

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

I can't seem to find the FRG thread? has that been discontinued? I would like to know if there are any future plans of further developing the CFA to perhaps to include a small stadium to have the youth and womens team play out of there.

@Dylan here it is mate. http://forum.melbournefootball.com/topic/2789-melbourne-city-fan-representative-group/

IIRC the last time I asked about the FRG it was still meeting, but the last update on the club web-site is dated November 2015 and that doesn't indicate that the club is really interested any more. Maybe one of the "Talking City" boys knows more - they seem well in with the club.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Dylan here it is mate. http://forum.melbournefootball.com/topic/2789-melbourne-city-fan-representative-group/

IIRC the last time I asked about the FRG it was still meeting, but the last update on the club web-site is dated November 2015 and that doesn't indicate that the club is really interested any more. Maybe one of the "Talking City" boys knows more - they seem well in with the club.

FRG's still going. They recently sent out emails to people who attended last season to gauge who wanted to remain part of the process.

From someone who's been to a few, there's often some lively and constructive discussion, but the actual process of dictating the discussion points in the meeting and having them publicized seems relatively non-existent

12 minutes ago, Embee said:

FRG's still going. They recently sent out emails to people who attended last season to gauge who wanted to remain part of the process.

From someone who's been to a few, there's often some lively and constructive discussion, but the actual process of dictating the discussion points in the meeting and having them publicized seems relatively non-existent

I wonder if thats a bit of miss communication between both parties? Both parties believe its the other party that is going to release notes and come with discussion points so it doesn't really get done? 

10 minutes ago, Embee said:

@Embee I'd suggest, if I may, that it's not a good look to have something nearly two years old on a web-site, and that this point be made at the next meeting. It would be better just to give the meeting schedule and how fans can get something raised at a meeting if they wish to. That would be a better look IMO.

15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I wonder if thats a bit of miss communication between both parties? Both parties believe its the other party that is going to release notes and come with discussion points so it doesn't really get done? 

I'd say that's probably the case. At one of the ones I was at, another member of the fan representation took notes but they clearly weren't submitted to anyone or followed up on in any way.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Embee I'd suggest, if I may, that it's not a good look to have something nearly two years old on a web-site, and that this point be made at the next meeting. It would be better just to give the meeting schedule and how fans can get something raised at a meeting if they wish to. That would be a better look IMO.

I don't disagree. To be honest, I'm still not sure whether I will personally be involved in the group this season or beyond.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Set Pieces -

THE CITY FOOTBALL GROUP: A FAMILY AFFAIR

Man-City-1050x500.png

How do fans of Melbourne City, New York City FC and Girona feel about being part of the City Football Group? It’s been something of a dysfunctional family so far, as Stephen Tudor found out…

Imagine supporting a club all of your life when suddenly rumours begin to circulate about a takeover.

The prospective buyer is not a local businessman done good or a fabulously wealthy individual from afar, but essentially another football club, from another continent. Stranger still, their intention is to incorporate your club into a network of others that fall under the umbrella of a holding company based in England. They plan to change the shirt colours from red and white stripes to light blue, dramatically redesign the badge, and, in this first instance, change the name from Melbourne Heart to Melbourne City. Both literally and figuratively, you may feel the heart has been ripped from your club.

In January 2014, City Football Group’s takeover was concluded for AU$12 million. From being a proud independent institution, Melbourne are now – in the eyes of naysayers and rivals at least – a feeder club, beholden to a master some 10,000 miles away. They are reportedly instructed to play the same way as their parent club, while in the broadest sense they are a staging post in an ever increasing global brand, valued largely for the commercial and scouting opportunities they offer.

There are significant upsides to the partnership, of course, with some supporters enthusiastically embracing the development. Aligned with City Football Group’s ownership of Manchester City, Melbourne City are now, by some distance, the richest club in the Australian A-League.

Following increased investment the team won the FFA Cup in 2016, while a AU$15 million state-of-the-art training facility has been built. In the past three years David Villa has briefly worn the Melbourne City shirt and Tim Cahill does so presently. But the loss of star player Aaron Mooy, who moved to Manchester City before joining Huddersfield Town, underlines the peculiar nature of this relationship.

For some it is a pact with the devil – the ultimate hypothetical for any supporter of a team that is struggling or just getting by. How much control and identity would you be willing to sacrifice in exchange for being financially secure and competing for silverware? Melbourne fan Glenn Mercieca has witnessed first-hand the entrenched division that CFG’s takeover has caused.

“Some embraced City from day one and are fully behind it, while others have stopped following the club entirely,” he explains. “Many believe the club has no identity now and is just a play thing for City Football Group. On a personal note, I think it’s great because Melbourne Heart may not be around at all without CFG taking over.”

As far as Premier League football is concerned Glenn is very much a Liverpool fan – “I have zero connection to Manchester City” – but he has found it possible to differentiate between City and the City Football Group, and appreciates the work of CFG in not only improving the fortunes of Melbourne City but raising the bar for Australian soccer.

“The fact that they have taken a club who had possibly the worst facilities in the country to having the best amongst any code of football is amazing.

“The desire to grow and promote youth and women’s football in this country can only benefit the national team, not straight away but in the future, while having quality academies can only improve the level of footballers in Australia.”

Unsurprisingly, few Australian soccer fans beyond Melbourne’s 30,000-capacity AAMI Park share Glenn’s sentiments.

“Opposition fans have been negative,” he adds. “We are sell-outs. We are plastic. But that’s fine. It may be born out of envy because the reality of what City is building in Melbourne is starting to dawn on people.”

Melbourne City are not the only club CFG have added to their portfolio. There is a 20% stake in Japanese J-League side Yokohama F Marinos, who are also part-owned by the Nissan Motor Company, while the recent acquisition of Uruguayan second division club Atletico Torque, along with a collaboration agreement with Atletico Venezuela, expanded the group’s territory grab to South America.

In the US, New York City FC were established in 2013 and became Major League Soccer’s twentieth franchise at the direct invitation of the league’s Commissioner Don Garber.

Logic suggests that a natural affinity should exist between New York City’s nascent fan base, the City Football Group and, by extension, Manchester City. After all, there was no threat of appropriated history with this start-up acquisition.

Yet surprisingly, of all the clubs in the global network, it is here where resentment thrives. In part this can be attributed to the ‘pigeons’ (a nickname given to fans at the Yankee Stadium) wishing to disassociate themselves from their cousin across the pond to establish an independent identity. The frustration at the ongoing failure to secure a purpose-built stadium is another factor, but it seems much of the discord stems from a sorry episode known Stateside as ‘Lampardgate’.

In the summer of 2014 it was announced that Frank Lampard had signed a two-year contract with NYCFC ahead of their inaugural season. The Chelsea legend’s anticipated arrival garnered plenty of publicity and was key in selling season tickets and merchandise ahead of the new campaign.

But then it was revealed that the 36-year-old would join Manchester City first on a short-term deal, an arrangement that was eventually extended to a full year. At the precise moment when the City Football Group were talking up the importance of their new endeavour this unfortunate ‘miscommunication’ confirmed how far down New York was in their priorities – or at least that was the perception from aggrieved supporters.

The disenchantment persists three years on, with New Yorker Tom French making an unfavourable comparison between his club and the most recent franchise in MLS.

“The Lampard debacle certainly soured my view of Manchester City, specifically asking him to stay on in England for six more months as a rarely used substitute, instead of coming and starting the season with us,” he says.

“Many took the opinion that the good would outweigh the bad, and that access to CFG’s resources would make up for that one gaffe. I’m not sure that has proven true as of yet.

“We’ve seen Atlanta come into MLS and hit all their marks with acquisitions, stadium, and fan support in Year One. We still have no news of a stadium, and a semi-retired Andrea Pirlo taking up a valuable DP (designated player) spot on the bench.”  

Chris Jee is another Bronx Blue who has already grown disillusioned. “There is definitely a set of people who will never forgive CFG for what happened with Lampard, the lack of a stadium, and their sometimes tone-deaf marketing. Overall, I guess I’d say that people are a little suspicious and waiting for CFG to reveal a consistent, unequivocal character and presence.” 

Looking at the broader picture, Chris is pragmatic about his club’s place in the CFG food chain. He jokes about the prospect of Sergio Aguero or Vincent Kompany hooking up with NYCFC before retirement.

“They’re trying to create a mental coupling between all the teams and probably pretty successfully,” he continues. “Actually, it’s more like Manchester City at the hub, with NYCFC and others as satellite clubs right now. The more that players cross over, the more it will seem like a family.”

Tom is more uncertain about that notion of the CFG family. “It’s unclear what that means.  Are the teams bought by CFG for the purpose of feeding Manchester City? Does CFG want to have winning teams all over the globe? The plan isn’t clear to us.”

If Anglo-American relations are somewhat strained for the time being, the mood appears to be far more welcoming at Girona following CFG’s agreement in August to purchase a 44.3% share in the promoted La Liga outfit. WithGirona Football Group acquiring an identical holding, fronted by Pep Guardiola’s brother Pere, Girona have become the sixth club to be absorbed into an ever-widening empire.

The reaction so far has been largely positive, with each fan base adopting the other as their second team. Speaking to the supporters who run the Twitter account @GironaUK, the enthusiasm for a mutually beneficial relationship is clear: “To be attributed in any way to one of fastest growing, financially strong powerhouses in world football can only be a good thing for the long-term prosperity of any club. And with Girona’s objective to cement their position in the Spanish top flight, the link could prove prosperous for both.”

The tiny Catalan club upset the odds last season by reaching the rarefied heights of La Liga for the first time in their 87-year history, and it seems their purpose in the City Football Group has already been outlined. With Guardiola espousing the need to have B teams in competitive leagues, he now has the means to loan out his finest young talent to develop their skills against the best in Spain. Indeed, the ink had barely dried before five teenagers were seconded to Girona for the 2017/18 campaign.

The suggestion that a side hailing from this proud region could be deemed a subsidiary club is naturally insulting, so it’s fortuitous that the fans at @GironaUK disagree with the premise. Instead they only see the positives.

“Who wouldn’t want to see the likes of Aleix Garcia and Pablo Maffeo return to their home country and make a significant contribution to Girona’s chances of survival this season? Similarly, in Douglas Luiz, Marlos Moreno and Larry Kayode, Girona have been blessed with a wonderful opportunity to make use of three of the most highly-rated players in their age groups.

“In the short term, it may well mean that Girona are largely seen as a feeder club, but in the long term the exposure to nurturing and giving first-team opportunities to raw talent could stand the club in good stead.”

There may be storm clouds on the horizon. In the unlikely event that Girona secure European football at some stage in the future, a conflict of interest will no doubt be claimed. There is precedent for this, however, with UEFA permitting both RB Leipzig and Red Bull Salzburg to play in the Champions League this season.

In this instance, though, CFG appear to have chosen well with their acquisition. Learnings have surely been taken from previous ventures, with Girona immediately seeing the benefit of the relationship. Only time will tell whether that remains the case, but for now harmony reins.

“In many ways Girona can be closely linked through its values and ethos to City. For that reason we feel that there is a strong connection between both clubs.”

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Interesting read Jovan. I wonder how much autonomy Girona maintain?

It's probably impossible to know but ultimately if the decisions being made are in the interests of primarily Girona then it really doesn't matter if they are made in Manchester or Spain IMO. 

I just can't get over the fact that if the FFA were not so incompetent and short sighted we may have had half a dozen world class youth players being developed and playing senior soccer at AAMI. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Jovan. Good read. Originally enthusiastic about our new owners I've become less so as time has worn on. We were dudded over Villa just as NYC were over Lampard. That sticks in my craw. I can cop most of the rest, but I wish I'd thought of the phrase "tone-deaf marketing" because that sums up the aspect of CFG that I dislike the most.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Thanks for posting Jovan. Good read. Originally enthusiastic about our new owners I've become less so as time has worn on. We were dudded over Villa just as NYC were over Lampard. That sticks in my craw. I can cop most of the rest, but I wish I'd thought of the phrase "tone-deaf marketing" because that sums up the aspect of CFG that I dislike the most.

Fundamentally I have a problem with a football club being part of a chain.

There are advantages in terms of resource sharing etc but the loss of identity is to me a far greater loss than any of these advantages. 

6 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Fundamentally I have a problem with a football club being part of a chain.

There are advantages in terms of resource sharing etc but the loss of identity is to me a far greater loss than any of these advantages. 

The club lost its identity after they took over, but it didn't really have one set in stone. I feel we'd struggled to find our place in the a-league. I love that we win more now than we did in 2013 when we we're losing all those games. But I had more fun back then, the club was more organic then. We were the Western Bulldogs of the A-league and now we're GWS.

Would be interesting to get see how many people who were members in 2013 are still members now? 

1 minute ago, HeartLand said:

The club lost its identity after they took over, but it didn't really have one set in stone. I feel we'd struggled to find our place in the a-league. I love that we win more now than we did in 2013 when we we're losing all those games. But I had more fun back then, the club was more organic then. We were the Western Bulldogs of the A-league and now we're GWS.

Would be interesting to get see how many people who were members in 2013 are still members now? 

Yeah we struggled when we first came in because the owners thought well if we just did what they did to establish all the other clubs we should be fine eh? 

Don't underestimate the leg up the visitors got by not having another club to compete with in the same city for 5 years. The thing that shits me is that it seems to be forgotten by the vast majority of the football public that every other aleague club was started just like ours, no consultation, no meetings just started from nothing. Pretty plastic eh?

1 minute ago, HeartLand said:

Based on absolutely nothing but my experiences and meeting people, i reckon a good 80% of our members now were members at some point as Heart. How many have dropped off since then, not sure. Dont really care tbh.

IMO identity and identity crisis' is a bit of a myth; you always develop your identity over time, you dont create one overnight. I get the fun times throwback to the Heart days, but imo a lot of the 'pain' we experience these days is self inflicted, by the weight of creating our own lofty expectations. That is, if you can treat the club as a normal club and not think we are entitled to anything, you can enjoy the club on a much more day-to-day basis.

• Like 4

The visit0rs only identity is that they are winners, our 'lack of identity' is in large part down to us having been perennial under-achievers and chokers, not much for people to be attracted to. We've played beautiful football at times but we'd always reliably let the fans down whenever it mattered. CFG started off well with the name, Melbourne City, and the badge that incorporated the logo of the city but really needed a playing kit that incorporated the red cross on the city shield and the 4 symbols. That would immediately have made us a city-based team and the franchise could have marketed themselves as such. As it is we are called Melbourne City but play in Manchester City colours and have a men's team that continues the same flaky traditions of Melbourne Heart

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

Based on absolutely nothing but my experiences and meeting people, i reckon a good 80% of our members now were members at some point as Heart. How many have dropped off since then, not sure. Dont really care tbh.

IMO identity and identity crisis' is a bit of a myth; you always develop your identity over time, you dont create one overnight. I get the fun times throwback to the Heart days, but imo a lot of the 'pain' we experience these days is self inflicted, by the weight of creating our own lofty expectations. That is, if you can treat the club as a normal club and not think we are entitled to anything, you can enjoy the club on a much more day-to-day basis.

You plastic flog :P

• Like 1

13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

our 'lack of identity' is in large part down to us having been perennial under-achievers and chokers, not much for people to be attracted to. We've played beautiful football at times but we'd always reliably let the fans down whenever it mattered. 

Isnt that an identity in itself? 

I never had issues explaining the differences between the two teams to new people, i.e. Victory are cocksuckers and Heart are the smaller underdogs. The whole 'identity' thing is one of my most hated cliches in team sport. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yes, I think that's true. I've never bought the "lack of identity" tag that was attached to Heart and now City. IMO it was a clever marketing ploy by Victory to cement its place as the top team in Melbourne, if not always on the field certainly in the minds of the football-interested public. In fact none of the A-League clubs have any real identity. I think I'm right in saying that all are privately owned (correct me if I'm wrong about that please) and I'm not aware that any have any formal mechanism for representation of so-called "members" in the business of the club. (In fact that's one thing that I think FFA should insist on - a formal mechanism for such representation - for all A-League clubs, both existing and any admitted to the league in the future.)

If we look at clubs worldwide, many are actually privately owned, and only have the appearance of an identity because they've been in existence for a long time. IMO the "lack of identity" tag persists with Melbourne City because of two main factors - the change of colours, and because we are one of a chain of clubs in a group - and I think that does cause people to question whether we really are a "Melbourne club for Melbourne people" as promised by Ferran Soriano.

Edited by jw1739

I am pretty sure that as time goes on and we become more successful on the pitch our supporter base will grow and we will forge our own identity.

There is no doubt that our identity has changed from the bad old days of second-rate Heart but that's a good thing seeing that we have more resources, more opportunities and better infrastructure which are the ingredients needed to be successful. 

Really it's the only way we could seriously challenge Victory in a way that we could never have done as Heart.

If the grass-roots Heart supporters feel a loss of identity then so be it, but looking forward the club is far better placed. As a member, the first priority is to build membership and identity for the future and not hold onto past passions just for the sake of it.

9 hours ago, hedaik said:

Isnt that an identity in itself? 

I never had issues explaining the differences between the two teams to new people, i.e. Victory are cocksuckers and Heart are the smaller underdogs. The whole 'identity' thing is one of my most hated cliches in team sport. 

Yeah, true

19 hours ago, playmaker said:

I am pretty sure that as time goes on and we become more successful on the pitch our supporter base will grow and we will forge our own identity.

There is no doubt that our identity has changed from the bad old days of second-rate Heart but that's a good thing seeing that we have more resources, more opportunities and better infrastructure which are the ingredients needed to be successful. 

Really it's the only way we could seriously challenge Victory in a way that we could never have done as Heart.

If the grass-roots Heart supporters feel a loss of identity then so be it, but looking forward the club is far better placed. As a member, the first priority is to build membership and identity for the future and not hold onto past passions just for the sake of it.

Well said.. time to let go of the past but never forget our humble beginning and I am pretty sure CFG has the same view otherwise, why would they include our heart logo in our new crest?. Man Utd is a case in point, when it was founded, it was called Newton Heath LYR Football Club back in 1878. To me, it is normal for a club to evolve and change its name, crest etc to suit their needs and we should embrace it and at the same time, be proud of our history. All this 'identity crisis' bullshit is just the media playing mind games to discredit a club. Just look forward to the time when we become successful. What I am looking forward to is to see our young players move up the ranks and eventually playing in the big clubs in Europe. Because they now have a pathway to do that through CFG. I still watch in awe of Aaron Mooy rubbing shoulders in EPL with the likes of Hazard, Coutinho, Aguero etc. I love pointing it out to non-football people that this guy used to play for us because I am proud of it! Haters will be haters! Let them be. For us fans, let us just enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder how much this is all costing? Might as well have left us as Melbourne Heart in red-and-white...

It's hard to imagine but I wonder what Melbourne Heart in red and white would look like with all the intitaitives like the family days, stomping ground meets, etc etc etc. not to mention the money and know how of the city group. Annnnnyyywaaayyy...

Edited by n i k o

55 minutes ago, n i k o said:

It's hard to imagine but I wonder what Melbourne Heart in red and white would look like with all the intitaitives like the family days, stomping ground meets, etc etc etc. not to mention the money and know how of the city group. Annnnnyyywaaayyy...

And the 10m for Aaron Mooy 

56 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Would still be in the bins. Sidwell had no intentions of putting money in. Besides he was trying to flog it off before CFG came in anyway

I don't know if that had anything to do with my post. I meant keeping the red and white and the name Heart but having the same level of investment from CFG.