Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's very harsh indeed. Maybe there wasn't a lot said about what the club was doing, but Sue Crow has been heading up the community side of things since February 2010.

Exactly. They did plenty, but I couldn't be stuffed arguing myself.

For instance One thing they used to give back to the football community was "coach the coach", who else gave community coaches access to the thoughts and approaches of a professional coach? 

6 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

sorry couldn't help myself 
Zach-Galifianakis-Laugh.gif

Yeah well for all the criticism of our former man JVS, it's worth remembering his team came up against other professional coaches every week.

Even a poor A League coach knows a lot more than 99% of punters. Heart realised this and were helping spread the knowledge. Pity City stopped it.

So CFG have just sold Mooy for more than the total value/investment/purchase of the Melbourne Heart club.

Just puts into perspective how minor (in the grand scheme of things) the investment here is - but positions them front and square for the best talent in the region. It will only take that 'one' kid to return them on their investment in spades.

How good is it gonna be watching Aaron in the PL for Huddersfield! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Further down the pecking order we go.....

Man City owners agree deal to become joint owners of newly-promoted La Liga club Girona

28 JUNE 2017 • 5:46PM

Manchester City’s billionaire owners are close to adding La Liga outfit Girona to their expanding stable of clubs. The City Football Group (CFG) have agreed a deal that will see them become joint owners of the Catalan club alongside Media Base, the agency owned by City manager Pep Guardiola’s brother, Pere. The process is expected to be formally completed within the next fortnight and will give CFG and Media Base a near 50 per cent share each in the club. The remaining small stake is held by Girona supporters. CFG have had strong ties with Girona for several years now. Girona will become the sixth club in the CFG stable after Manchester City, Major League Soccer franchise New York City FC, Australian A-League side Melbourne City FC, Japan’s Yokohama F. Marinos and Club Atletico Torque in Uruguay.

City’s owners are also exploring the possibility of purchasing a club in China and have a close partnership with NAC Breda in Holland. Like Girona, who won promotion to Spain’s top flight last season for the first time in their history, Breda will play in the Eredivisie next term after winning promotion. Both clubs will continue to be used as places where City’s youngsters on the fringes of the first team go to gain experience. Last season, City loaned defenders Pablo Mari, Pablo Maffeo and Angelino to Girona, although Angelino left after a month to join RCD Mallorca on loan. Five City youngsters, Ashley Smith-Brown, Brandon Barker, Manu Garcia,Thomas Agyepong, James Horsfield, spent last season on loan at Breda, who have announced that three more players from the Manchester City, Mari, Paolo Fernandes and Thierry Ambrose, will join them on loan next season. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/28/man-city-owners-agree-deal-become-joint-owners-newly-promoted/

But in all seriousness though, with all these teams surely CFG could organise more friendlies. Even a Pre-Season cup with 4-6 teams, it would be the perfect opportunity to shove Sky Blue City Blue™ down everyone's throat.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, haz said:

But in all seriousness though, with all these teams surely CFG could organise more friendlies. Even a Pre-Season cup with 4-6 teams, it would be the perfect opportunity to shove Sky Blue City Blue™ down everyone's throat.

I can't wait till a certain few in here discover another litlle nugget within the deal

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, haz said:

I agree with you in principle, but in practice - at least for Manchester City - they can't afford to do anything less than accept the highest-paying friendly invitations that they receive. Top PL clubs can be offered several million to make a single appearance in pre-season. Play four or five friendlies at that rate and that's a whole new player you can afford. That's why I suspect CFG friendlies will be few and far between.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, haz said:

If we do go down the pecking order it's because we are the only one playing in a salary-capped league, meaning we're the only club that cannot receive decent loan players except with marquee status. The benefits we can obtain from being a part of CFG are therefore severely restricted.

FFA just cannot deliver on anything...but that's another story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If we do go down the pecking order it's because we are the only one playing in a salary-capped league, meaning we're the only club that cannot receive decent loan players except with marquee status. The benefits we can obtain from being a part of CFG are therefore severely restricted.

MLS is salary capped.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that's pretty accurate. Possibly at takeover we were veiwed by CFG as a place where youth talent could develop playing weekly against seasoned men. But since then the FFA has restricted that. As a result meaning player movement will be predominantly 1 way. 

If and thats a big If that happens then quality young Australians will come to us develop then possibly move to a Girona B team or a that dutch B team then if good enough break into the seniors.

End result is a defined pathway developing Australian talent into Europe.

Where it leaves us I'm not sure.  

Edited by Jovan

As long as City becomes the biggest Club in Australia and has some success in Asia. I couldn't care less where the Club sits on the pecking  order . At the moment the Club is CFG number 1 club in the AFC.  I'd be concerned if CFG started having majority shares in other AFC Clubs though. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

As long as City becomes the biggest Club in Australia and has some success in Asia. I couldn't care less where the Club sits on the pecking  order . At the moment the Club is CFG number 1 club in the AFC.  I'd be concerned if CFG started having majority shares in other AFC Clubs though. 

Im not sure it matters personally, if i can dive into the business side of things i would be thinking that running all off shoots of CFG at a break even if not a tiny profit would be the goal as long as players grow and develop like Mooy that they can sign on a free transfer and then onsell from there to try and get around the 'financial fair play' rules they have in place for the Premier league. 

31 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Is it possible CFG could buy exclusive rights  to play at Aami and basically kick Victory out. 

"Every man has his price", so, in theory CFG could offer so much that the Trust could not refuse. But in practice the answer has to be "no", because it would be much cheaper for CFG to build its own boutique stadium.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bt50 said:

MLS is salary capped.

Yes it is. However each team can spend around 3.5m dollars. There is also GAM (general allocation money). TAM (targeted allocation money). These can be used to buy down contracts to get players under the cap. They also have 3 dp's (marquee players) for each team and 9 visa slots. So you can see it is a very different salary capped league.

When you think that Tosin Adarabioyo (City EDS player) apparently is getting £40,000 per week (over £2m), then you realise how small the A League Cap is.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this at lunch....

In regards to football club takeovers. Would you as a supporter care if the team you supported (say a 4th div club) was taken over by a global company, aka CFG, RedBull, Chinese etc. They change the colours and the name but you're are guaranteed some form of success and promotions. For example RB Leipzig are now in Champions League and they took over a semi pro club.

Of course it would be more of a question for European clubs due to the shit show the FFA is in at the moment with only 10 teams in HAL and no link to lower divs.

5 hours ago, haz said:

I was thinking about this at lunch....

In regards to football club takeovers. Would you as a supporter care if the team you supported (say a 4th div club) was taken over by a global company, aka CFG, RedBull, Chinese etc. They change the colours and the name but you're are guaranteed some form of success and promotions. For example RB Leipzig are now in Champions League and they took over a semi pro club.
Of course it would be more of a question for European clubs due to the shit show the FFA is in at the moment with only 10 teams in HAL and no link to lower divs.

Yes, I would - and do - care about it. It's a matter of what the club actually means to you. Is that attachment you feel to the club something that can be bought and sold along with the club itself? Is it still your local club once it's owned by someone in Qatar, the UAE, the USA, or wherever else? Does sentiment matter any more, or is money the only fuel that we care about? Is  Paris Saint Germain a Parisian football club, or just another branch of Petrodollars FC? Indeed, is Melbourne City the same old club as Melbourne Heart, or just another branch of Emirates FC?

I'd say, based on our experiences with Heart, that it does matter to quite a number of people.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

Happier days to come after CFG exit. CFG.care about Man City. A bit about NYC cause of market size. They openly stated how much and what is the policy regarding us. They got us for peanuts. If something like Mooy happens that's a plus for them. For their operating level, there is no money in Au soccer. ACL, apparently not interested into initial investment to get there. Borrom line , we won't be able to match locally owned large clubs. I will keep renewing my membership. Hoping and awaiting glorious moments. I do care.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

>borrom line

I think this is my wog dad posting on the forums, each post confirms my suspicions even more

This was my assumption a while back. 

If he adds "fucken" at the end of each sentence then it could be your old man fucken!

• 3 weeks later...

Further down the pecking order we go....

Manchester City’s parent company agrees deal for major stake in Girona

Catalan side promoted to La Liga set to be added to CFG’s global portfolio 
 City may need to sell Mangala and Bony before making more signings

Manchester City’s parent company, the City Football Group, is set to make Gironathe sixth side of its growing portfolio, with a deal all but sealed for the purchase of a major stake in the Spanish club.

The proposed terms are understood to give CFG a near-50% share along with Media Base, the agency owned by Pere Guardiola, the brother of Pep, the City manager. The remainder will continue to be owned by a Girona fans association. The club were promoted to La Liga for the first time this summer and started their season with a 2-2 home draw against Atlético Madrid.

City already have close links with the Catalan team, having loaned them five players this summer – Pablo Maffeo, Aleix García, Douglas Luiz, Marlos Moreno and Larry Kayode.

The acquisition of Girona, who beat City 1-0 a friendly in Catalonia on Tuesday of last week, would be the latest move in CFG’s strategy of global expansion. Since Sheikh Mansour bought City in September 2008 his Abu Dhabi-based CFG has acquired the start-up MLS franchise New York City FC, the Australian A-League side Melbourne City FC, Japan’s Yokohama F. Marinos and Club Atlético Torque in Uruguay. City are also two years into a five-year agreement with NAC Breda that also involves their players being loaned to the Dutch club.

CFG is also considering buying a team in China. Two years ago a $400m (£256m) investment from the Chinese consortium CMC, which bought 13% and that valued CFG then at $3bn, was announced.

Speaking in December 2015 Mubarak said: “Football is the most loved, played and watched sport in the world and in China, the exponential growth pathway for the game is both unique and hugely exciting. We have therefore worked hard to find the right partners and to create the right deal structure to leverage the incredible potential that exists in China, both for CFG and for football at large.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/23/manchester-city-buy-girona-spanish-club

On 05/08/2017 at 1:18 PM, Imtellingyou said:

Happier days to come after CFG exit. CFG.care about Man City. A bit about NYC cause of market size. They openly stated how much and what is the policy regarding us. They got us for peanuts. If something like Mooy happens that's a plus for them. For their operating level, there is no money in Au soccer. ACL, apparently not interested into initial investment to get there. Borrom line , we won't be able to match locally owned large clubs. I will keep renewing my membership. Hoping and awaiting glorious moments. I do care.

stay woke

• Like 2

In all seriousness this is a big positive for us. It gives our talented players a more realistic pathway to Europe. 

Any player good enough has a real crack of moving to the La liga. Obviously with the FFA restrictions all player movement in the short term will be one way and Manchester was always going to be beyond nearly all but a mid to low La Liga team is actually more probable. 

So I'm all for CFG moving in this direction. Hopefully in the not to distant future the clubs within CFG umbrella can combine in a unique tournament and maximize the marketing potential of having 6 clubs in some pretty decent leagues. 

• Like 2

Most accounts seem to regard this as a mixture of supporting Girona to allow them to stay up in La Liga (bear in mind that Guardiola may be a Barca legend but he is still ultimately a Catalan and Girona is now Catalonia's #3 team) and providing a stable place for Manchester City's youngsters to go out on loan and play against teams that, regrettably, Melbourne City don't play against. I'm not sure to what extent this is actually going to affect Melbourne City.

35 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Most accounts seem to regard this as a mixture of supporting Girona to allow them to stay up in La Liga (bear in mind that Guardiola may be a Barca legend but he is still ultimately a Catalan and Girona is now Catalonia's #3 team) and providing a stable place for Manchester City's youngsters to go out on loan and play against teams that, regrettably, Melbourne City don't play against. I'm not sure to what extent this is actually going to affect Melbourne City.

Still waiting on the CFG Pre-Season Cup, with everything sky blue! Played every two years with the location changing, Manchester, Australia, New York etc.

6 minutes ago, haz said:

Still waiting on the CFG Pre-Season Cup, with everything sky blue! Played every two years with the location changing, Manchester, Australia, New York etc.

As mentioned before, while I'd love to see it happen, the sheer amount of money that top teams receive from invites to play friendlies mean that Manchester City simply can't afford to take part in one.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Falastur said:

As mentioned before, while I'd love to see it happen, the sheer amount of money that top teams receive from invites to play friendlies mean that Manchester City simply can't afford to take part in one.

#Believe

• Like 1