Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

9 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

OK so first off - huge kudos to the men and women who organised and donated to the above fundraiser. 

Now this is synical at least conspiracy theory at worst. I just find it very interesting that our club puts out a media release about a fundraising event unrelated to our fans. I can think of three examples of similar things our fans did (melburnians good Friday appeal, greatest shavers this year and the sleep at the g)  all of these the club were well aware of but no similar article was put out. 

So greatest shave they pushed Brattan so I get them not talking about fan stuff. But this just makes me feel that they give more of a shit about Manchester City fans than Melbourne City fans. The club is horrendous at engagement and they don't seem to be improving with celebrating the success of the Manchester City fans club while ignoring our own fans successes. 

Am I looking too much into this or are others seeing it the way I am? 

At the risk of taking the bait (although I'm sure you were being genuine having posted in this section) I agree in terms of engagement. I'm not talking of engagement in terms of the amount of content they send out in the world of social media. But more so their engagement in connecting with fans at an emotional and personal level. The way they have built the club to be a mini Manchester doesn't suprise me in what you've experienced @thisphantomfortress

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

At the risk of taking the bait (although I'm sure you were being genuine having posted in this section) I agree in terms of engagement. I'm not talking of engagement in terms of the amount of content they send out in the world of social media. But more so their engagement in connecting with fans at an emotional and personal level. The way they have built the club to be a mini Manchester doesn't suprise me in what you've experienced @thisphantomfortress

Definitely my honest opinion. I almost didnt post at the risk of sounding spoilt - the club have done a lot of good by me. I just found myself really disillusioned by the fact they did a press release about the Manchester City fans club, a club that has no official link with our own. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Definitely my honest opinion. I almost didnt post at the risk of sounding spoilt - the club have done a lot of good by me. I just found myself really disillusioned by the fact they did a press release about the Manchester City fans club, a club that has no official link with our own. 

If I'm being quite frank there's no doubt where their loyalties lie. And I don't think that there's any suggestion that your ungrateful for what they have done for you, whatever that may be. For me on a personal level its an argument I run into everytime when I bring up the lack of engagement (the counter argument i usually get is I should be grateful because of facilities, Melbourne heart going bust and closing etc etc etc.) from the club. 

However much the club has done the point you raise is a valid one. 

28 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

OK so first off - huge kudos to the men and women who organised and donated to the above fundraiser. 

Now this is synical at least conspiracy theory at worst. I just find it very interesting that our club puts out a media release about a fundraising event unrelated to our fans. I can think of three examples of similar things our fans did (melburnians good Friday appeal, greatest shavers this year and the sleep at the g)  all of these the club were well aware of but no similar article was put out. 

So greatest shave they pushed Brattan so I get them not talking about fan stuff. But this just makes me feel that they give more of a shit about Manchester City fans than Melbourne City fans. The club is horrendous at engagement and they don't seem to be improving with celebrating the success of the Manchester City fans club while ignoring our own fans successes. 

Tax dodge, distraction and no fks given for the fans. 

25 minutes ago, n i k o said:

If I'm being quite frank there's no doubt where their loyalties lie. And I don't think that there's any suggestion that your ungrateful for what they have done for you, whatever that may be. For me on a personal level its an argument I run into everytime when I bring up the lack of engagement (the counter argument i usually get is I should be grateful because of facilities, Melbourne heart going bust and closing etc etc etc.) from the club. 

However much the club has done the point you raise is a valid one. 

The facility argument has run very thin with me (listen back to talking citys interviews this year and see how many times players mention it) it's all well and good having a nice training spot for the players but it just doesn't feel like any ground is being made anywhere else

• Like 1

Point has to be raised about the rest of the events and fundraisers done by us fans, I know MCTF does tons and with this complaint you're expecting the club to advertise each and every event they do, which is unrealistic. The Manc event is a one off and, by making a post about it, in the clubs eyes builds brotherhood between the City group therefore increasing brand loyalty, cohesion, all that bullshit. Plus, the current Melburnians did play a big part in advertising the event themselves so it's not like it's completely unrelated to our club.

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

The facility argument has run very thin with me (listen back to talking citys interviews this year and see how many times players mention it) it's all well and good having a nice training spot for the players but it just doesn't feel like any ground is being made anywhere else

I've never understood how these swanky new facilities were meant to sway the average supporter. The quality of training ground won't affect the average fan's experience; I'm never going to set foot there, so I couldn't care less how nice they are.

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Agree. This example you've given is just another example of the club becoming a mini Manchester city IMO and has created more disconnect. 

8 minutes ago, Blackout said:

I've never understood how these swanky new facilities were meant to sway the average supporter. The quality of training ground won't affect the average fan's experience; I'm never going to set foot there, so I couldn't care less how nice they are.

It's not necassarily that CFG were trying to sway us with the facilities. It's supporters that use the facilities as a way to justify why some of us should feel grateful and not question the clubs ability to engage with fans. 

Just in passing - I didn't read into it what others have. Probably because I'm less "involved" with the club at a personal level as are members of Melburnians (Leadership Group) and others who are involved with charity efforts. I do admire what City does in terms of its community involvement, women's football, etc. because it all seems to be a genuine commitment even though I can't see where there is any tangible reward for CFG in it all except perhaps long-term goodwill.

To counter the above comment, I was reading on the club web-site yesterday about the Young City Leaders Training Program only to find that it is actually a rehashed report of something that happened six months ago, and I thought "What the hell is the point of that - haven't you got something better to say to your supporters than something that has long gone?"

I will remain a City supporter whatever happens. I think in the long-term being part of City Football Group can only be good for our club and for the growth of football in this country. But whatever CFG has done and will do into the future I don't think anyone should back away from their feelings about any particular aspect of the way the club is run. And IMO, as it stands right now, our club has no idea of how to engage with its supporters - no idea whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just in passing - I didn't read into it what others have. Probably because I'm less "involved" with the club at a personal level as are members of Melburnians (Leadership Group) and others who are involved with charity efforts. I do admire what City does in terms of its community involvement, women's football, etc. because it all seems to be a genuine commitment even though I can't see where there is any tangible reward for CFG in it all except perhaps long-term goodwill.

To counter the above comment, I was reading on the club web-site yesterday about the Young City Leaders Training Program only to find that it is actually a rehashed report of something that happened six months ago, and I thought "What the hell is the point of that - haven't you got something better to say to your supporters than something that has long gone?"

I will remain a City supporter whatever happens. I think in the long-term being part of City Football Group can only be good for our club and for the growth of football in this country. But whatever CFG has done and will do into the future I don't think anyone should back away from their feelings about any particular aspect of the way the club is run. And IMO, as it stands right now, our club has no idea of how to engage with its supporters - no idea whatsoever.

The problem is they have there priority objective whic has existed ever since the takeover. While they continue to push this objective they will struggle to completely engage with supporters. 

12 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I do think there is merit to your point but I think it's worth noting the recent change in Melburnians leadership and the differences in approach between this new group and the older guard.

I don't remember us ever really asking or pressuring the club to share or push any of the community/charity work we did and therefore we didn't really get too much acknowledgement on their end. I don't want to speculate or spread rumours which may be untrue but I do think the newer group is a little more 'active' in seeking the clubs support on events such as the above so it could have an impact. Whilst I know they weren't the main group behind this particular fundraiser, I believe some of them have been involved and some of the individuals in that Manc Melbourne group are involved with the club via the Fan Representative Groups. Don't ask and you don't receive I guess.

Also, if I can be a little more cynical than even you were, the above fundraiser is a brilliant little PR piece given the current state of the world and it's something I think most sporting clubs would be quick to capitalize on if they had even the vaguest of connections to it.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, n i k o said:

The problem is they have there priority objective whic has existed ever since the takeover. While they continue to push this objective they will struggle to completely engage with supporters. 

They are engaging with us as consumers not as supporters - if they provide a good enough product then we'll consume it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

But that's what I don't get - consumers of what?

'Consumer' implies a different relationship than 'supporter'. We aren't members of a club so in a sense we don't have the same ownership of the organisation as many grass roots clubs have or as some Bundesliga clubs do. Its sort of like the same relationship that you have with your toothpaste company, they make a product, you spend money on it whilst to does its job, if not you spend your money on another brand but you aren't emotionally invested in the toothpaste company and the company isn't emotionally invested in you. if they lose you they'll find another customer.

The product in this case is the corporate CFG experience, duplicate it everywhere. Maybe a better analogy might be 'Marmite works well in the UK so lets give them Marmite in Australia'

Edited by belaguttman

35 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

'Consumer' implies a different relationship than 'supporter'. We aren't members of a club so in a sense we don't have the same ownership of the organisation as many grass roots clubs have or as some Bundesliga clubs do. Its sort of like the same relationship that you have with your toothpaste company, they make a product, you spend money on it whilst to does its job, if not you spend your money on another brand but you aren't emotionally invested in the toothpaste company and the company isn't emotionally invested in you. if they lose you they'll find another customer.

The product in this case is the corporate CFG experience, duplicate it everywhere. Maybe a better analogy might be 'Marmite works well in the UK so lets give them Marmite in Australia'

OK, I get the point you're making. On that note, I find it interesting that CFG Chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak was prepared to say that the actual product in Australia is not up to the corporate expectation. So whatever the problem at Bundoora really is, at least we have acknowledgement that it's the product and not - at least so far - the market i.e. us.

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

OK, I get the point you're making. On that note, I find it interesting that CFG Chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak was prepared to say that the actual product in Australia is not up to the corporate expectation. So whatever the problem at Bundoora really is, at least we have acknowledgement that it's the product and not - at least so far - the market i.e. us.

"Product" is everything. Unless the product is right people wont buy it or in our case buy into the club. Fish rots at the head, need a mass cull of all pen pushers starting at the top. Its amazing that the AFL almost have hitmen that go and fix up clubs that have got themselves into a bother, they go through the whole club and as Melbourne has shown through Peter Jackson right the wrongs from culture to personel. Sorry to use AFL as an example but i really think something can be learned from Melbournes last 15 years 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Embee said:

Also, if I can be a little more cynical than even you were, the above fundraiser is a brilliant little PR piece given the current state of the world and it's something I think most sporting clubs would be quick to capitalize on if they had even the vaguest of connections to it.

My thinking as well, especially it's a high profile topical event (more so than other events) so it's more 'newsworthy' and more likely to get coverage.

Probaly posting in the wrong thread but can't believe Messi is at Bundoora. I would never have thought that the words Messi and Bundoora would be together in a sentence. I wonder on a scale of 1 - Argentinian Slum he rates it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

kilkenny goes to the ucl final with another nissan comp
some yobbos got to meet messi at cfg today

when was the last time members had a chance to experience something special with the club or were even made aware of competitions?

Volunteers at a cancer charity that the club has a partnership with. Hardly "some yobbos"

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

lol wasn't aware of that, still sucks balls they've been given free merch and been treated like royalty, how many here have been to cfg 

Get diagnosed with something then you might have a chance, 

43639d1315336360-do-you-have-728400randymarsh.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

kilkenny goes to the ucl final with another nissan comp
some yobbos got to meet messi at cfg today

when was the last time members had a chance to experience something special with the club or were even made aware of competitions?

Usually the competitions are geared to those that pay the big money for memberships like Premium A, first touch or City Class as a reward/incentive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

lol wasn't aware of that, still sucks balls they've been given free merch and been treated like royalty, how many here have been to cfg 

No it doesn't. It's all part of "City in the Community", which is a genuine commitment by CFG. One of the reasons many of us joined Heart in the first place was the commitment to the community, and I don't think it's fair to complain about what the club and CFG do in that respect.

IMO whether enough is done for members shouldn't be linked to "City in the Community."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No it doesn't. It's all part of "City in the Community", which is a genuine commitment by CFG. One of the reasons many of us joined Heart in the first place was the commitment to the community, and I don't think it's fair to complain about what the club and CFG do in that respect.

IMO whether enough is done for members shouldn't be linked to "City in the Community."

Which they didnt do anything either

6 hours ago, Dylan said:

Which they didnt do anything either

That's very harsh indeed. Maybe there wasn't a lot said about what the club was doing, but Sue Crow has been heading up the community side of things since February 2010.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's very harsh indeed. Maybe there wasn't a lot said about what the club was doing, but Sue Crow has been heading up the community side of things since February 2010.

Probably makes it easier to do more when you have the financial backing of CFG. 

• Like 1

All fluffy and nice are pretty easy to do in this market as there is not much competition.

Tbh, as a supporter and member, I am getting pretty sick of the massive tweeting propaganda this club does. 

Maybe they should use a separate account to promote their fluffy crap and leave the football stuff separate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, playmaker said:

All fluffy and nice are pretty easy to do in this market as there is not much competition.

Tbh, as a supporter and member, I am getting pretty sick of the massive tweeting propaganda this club does. 

Maybe they should use a separate account to promote their fluffy crap and leave the football stuff separate.

Second warning for using the same word twice in the one sentence. 

• Like 1