Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

8 hours ago, hedaik said:

I drive a Nissan XTrail, top car :up:

Did the 120 hours for my Ls in a Nissan X-Trail and it was a shit car. It felt so light and unstable on the road and you couldn't take a bend without slowing right down or the thing would nearly tip.

This was a while ago so they may have gotten better, it was a 2006 model I think.

Edited by Jimmy

9 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Did the 120 hours for my Ls in a Nissan X-Trail and it was a shit car. It felt so light and unstable on the road and you couldn't take a bend without slowing right down or the thing would nearly tip.

Shhhh, you won't win any competitions now

• Like 1

Melbourne City Nissan currently out for qualifying in Townsville on Fox 506. Great to hear the commentators say "it's the Melbourne City FC car in top position..." Thankfully JVS isn't driving. Would have been in the wall by now. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Melbourne City Nissan currently out for qualifying in Townsville on Fox 506. Great to hear the commentators say "it's the Melbourne City FC car in top position..." Thankfully JVS isn't driving. Would have been in the wall by now. 

He would've started poorly then gained some speed towards the end but then crashed.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Aye? I have that scarf around my neck right now. Got it from the corporate dinner for free but i'm not doubting its in the merch store either

Ah, yes, I see it there. Called the "Core scarf" for some reason.

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ah, yes, I see it there. Called the "Core scarf" for some reason.

Interesting thing about the scarf is that beneaf the white and blue threadings, it's actually completely red. I think that's why they call it core. You can sort of see the red seep through in that pic.

Have to give credit to CFG for the money they put into the facilities. No wonder  players choose Melbourne City because of the quality of our infrastructure.

Compare the production quality, building appearance and training grounds between us (Brattan's First Day) and the apparent 'bling' club Sydney (Brillante's First Day).

19 minutes ago, haz said:

Have to give credit to CFG for the money they put into the facilities. No wonder  players choose Melbourne City because of the quality of our infrastructure.

Compare the production quality, building appearance and training grounds between us (Brattan's First Day) and the apparent 'bling' club Sydney (Brillante's First Day).

Maybe could've had JVS show him around and be there when he signs, looks very business like but that is my only complaint i promise.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The City Brand: A fifth club team in the works?

Is the Manchester City brand set to expand to a fifth club and country? Potential connections could point the next member of the franchise.

Ever sense Manchester City was purchased by Sheikh Mansour there has been a constant infusion of money to develop not only the first team, but the entire City brand. The initial focus was of course on winning the Premier League and with that building a squad that was two deep in world class players.

Since that time City has claimed two league titles and become a staple at the top of the game in England. Beyond that, but in Manchester, the group invested in the women’s team and built a training facility to develop future talent right in the center of the city.

Looking outside of England, the City Football Group saw a great opportunity to grow the city brand through acquiring or creating club teams in other leagues around the world. They are the current majority owners in New York City FC from the MLS, Melbourne City in Australia, and Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan. 

These clubs not only help expand the overall reach and number of fans for Manchester City, but also help them identify talent from around the world. Being able to move player and manager talent to different clubs to develop has great long term benefits.

As reported by IOL owner Jon Comitis is launching Cape Town City as a new club in the South Africa league, the PSL. For now there are only player links back to Manchester City clubs, but the owner is on record stating his interest in the partnership. With four continents already covered, a team in South Africa would make sense from both an expansion point of view, as well as identifying African talent.

_________

We might get off the bottom of the food chain

1 hour ago, rayv36 said:

Is the Manchester City brand set to expand to a fifth club and country? Potential connections could point the next member of the franchise.

Ever sense Manchester City was purchased by Sheikh Mansour there has been a constant infusion of money to develop not only the first team, but the entire City brand. The initial focus was of course on winning the Premier League and with that building a squad that was two deep in world class players.

Since that time City has claimed two league titles and become a staple at the top of the game in England. Beyond that, but in Manchester, the group invested in the women’s team and built a training facility to develop future talent right in the center of the city.

Looking outside of England, the City Football Group saw a great opportunity to grow the city brand through acquiring or creating club teams in other leagues around the world. They are the current majority owners in New York City FC from the MLS, Melbourne City in Australia, and Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan. 

These clubs not only help expand the overall reach and number of fans for Manchester City, but also help them identify talent from around the world. Being able to move player and manager talent to different clubs to develop has great long term benefits.

As reported by IOL owner Jon Comitis is launching Cape Town City as a new club in the South Africa league, the PSL. For now there are only player links back to Manchester City clubs, but the owner is on record stating his interest in the partnership. With four continents already covered, a team in South Africa would make sense from both an expansion point of view, as well as identifying African talent.

_________

Most exciting thing about that article was players and MANAGER movement. 

6 hours ago, rayv36 said:

_________

Not sure that CFG are keen on South-Africa at the moment.. If you had mentioned China perhaps
As for Yokohama F Marinos it´s still Nissan that is the majority owner and that will not change anytime soon if ever. You might say that CFG are paid to run the football side of things so that Nissan can focus on making cars I guess.

That said CFG have stated that they will continue to expand when they see a nice opportunity to do so..

8 hours ago, rayv36 said:

_________

Bottom of the 'food chain' got us more investment than the original owners put in, the best facilities in the comp for training (lol ice baths) and so far the best squads this club has had. Not to mention one of if not the best team to grace national level football in this country (vote 1 for the womens team).

Now they just need to get us a decent manager and all will be well in the world. I just don't even get the reference to the 'food chain'. They clearly stated at the start investment would be on a scale that was reasonable for the league. Further to that outside of the marquee roles we are in a salary capped league so it's not even like we could pay more for players if we wanted too. If that is bottom of the food chain I'd take it because JVS aside we are the best backed club in the league.

Now that we have that out of the way lets get back to the two favourite topics on this forum sacking JVS and the colours debate!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Bottom of the 'food chain' got us more investment than the original owners put in, the best facilities in the comp for training (lol ice baths) and so far the best squads this club has had. Not to mention one of if not the best team to grace national level football in this country (vote 1 for the womens team).

Now they just need to get us a decent manager and all will be well in the world. I just don't even get the reference to the 'food chain'. They clearly stated at the start investment would be on a scale that was reasonable for the league. Further to that outside of the marquee roles we are in a salary capped league so it's not even like we could pay more for players if we wanted too. If that is bottom of the food chain I'd take it because JVS aside we are the best backed club in the league.

Now that we have that out of the way lets get back to the two favourite topics on this forum sacking JVS and the colours debate!

Yep, talk of "bottom of food chain" baffles me also 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wombegongal said:

Was a tounge in cheek comment but the whole Villa debarckle sure showed where we stood in the 'food chain'.

Mind you I'm all for CFG and don't really give a shit if we are bottom of a lucrative food chain. 

24 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Was a tounge in cheek comment but the whole Villa debarckle sure showed where we stood in the 'food chain'.

Mind you I'm all for CFG and don't really give a shit if we are bottom of a lucrative food chain. 

Well not really, he was NYFC's player.

The difference in quality of marquees so far is a more apt comparison.

Not sure that we are behindYokohama anyway, theres been nothing to suggest we are.

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well not really, he was NYFC's player.

The difference in quality of marquees so far is a more apt comparison.

Not sure that we are behindYokohama anyway, theres been nothing to suggest we are.

It's not quality that is the measure, it's relative quality. On the latter measure, Mooy and Fornaroli have had at least the same impact (and probably more) in Melbourne as Villa and Lampard have had in New York. Koren was a failure, yes, but Pirlo hasn't done a great deal for NYC has he?

On 04/08/2016 at 1:26 AM, rayv36 said:

_________

I said somewhere, can't remember if here or elsewhere, that I don't think CFG are interested in this opportunity. Mind you, when I first heard about this two months ago I also posted it excitedly here saying it was going to, but now with the benefit of time I don't think it's going to happen. John Comitis has set his club up and basically is trying to shop around for investment and set the rules, but CFG don't work that way - I get the feeling Cape Town City basically want a link-up but want to keep all the control themselves, which essentially offers no real material benefits to CFG. Comitis really wants CFG, so you'll see a few more stories linking the two in the same way that agents "leak" false transfer stories in order to drum up interest in players, but I don't think it will happen.

It's worth mentioning that CTCFC have in the last day or two announced that they are appealing to Leicester City since CFG aren't playing ball, so it's looking clear that they're just desperate for anyone with City in the name. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Comitis set up his club as a blue-wearing City team in the naive belief that all he had to do was flutter his eyelashes and CFG would fall into his palm, and now he's panicking because he truly didn't believe he could be turned down.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Portillo said:

Just a quick question but is there any reason why Yokohama haven't been rebranded as Yokohama city?

CFG only own a minority stake of..... I think its 25%? It was pretty much a deal to get Nissan sponsorship across the board IMO

• Like 1

On 06/08/2016 at 1:11 AM, Portillo said:

Just a quick question but is there any reason why Yokohama haven't been rebranded as Yokohama city?

Yokohama is Nissan's company team. Only 20 years ago (or something) they actually competed as Nissan F.C. I get the impression that, kind of like Dylan says, part of the agreement with Nissan was that CFG would help them identify better players and managers but that the team would essentially remain Nissan's to do as they wished with. I've heard stories of CFG attempting to buy a bigger stake in the club, but frankly I'm not sure they're true since if it were going to happen there seriously shouldn't have been anything to hold it up this long. It's not as if the club has a ton of minor shareholders to be persuaded, or any of the usual hang-ups.

2 hours ago, Falastur said:

Yokohama is Nissan's company team. Only 20 years ago (or something) they actually competed as Nissan F.C. I get the impression that, kind of like Dylan says, part of the agreement with Nissan was that CFG would help them identify better players and managers but that the team would essentially remain Nissan's to do as they wished with. I've heard stories of CFG attempting to buy a bigger stake in the club, but frankly I'm not sure they're true since if it were going to happen there seriously shouldn't have been anything to hold it up this long. It's not as if the club has a ton of minor shareholders to be persuaded, or any of the usual hang-ups.

Nissan owns Yokohama F Marinos 80%.. CFG runs it for them and owns a minorty stake
Sounds rather straightforward to me.

I just liked this snippet from a New York media something...

"Let's be clear-- I don't believe that any aspect of the Cahill-to-City story is meant to be some kind of overt middle finger to the Red Bull family. There's no evidence to suggest such a thing. In fact, the message City Football Group is sending to Red Bull stabs much deeper than the common sniping endemic to sporting rivalries.
The message is this:

1. This is our world.
  2. You have no choice other than to live in it.
  3. Whatever you have done or will do is utterly irrelevant to what we're building.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, M13 said:

I just liked this snippet from a New York media something...

"Let's be clear-- I don't believe that any aspect of the Cahill-to-City story is meant to be some kind of overt middle finger to the Red Bull family. There's no evidence to suggest such a thing. In fact, the message City Football Group is sending to Red Bull stabs much deeper than the common sniping endemic to sporting rivalries.
The message is this:

1. This is our world.
  2. You have no choice other than to live in it.
  3. Whatever you have done or will do is utterly irrelevant to what we're building.

Hahahaha

Ill have what they're having

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, coys said:

Not sure where to put this but didn't think it was worthy of a thread. Heard some news today just wondering if there  is any truth to all subgroup banners being banned come round 1 through the entire league and not just to the tards?

Yea, nothing official official yet (and I must stress I'm not in leadership this year despite what the thing under my name says) but it's been as good as done since 3/4 the way through last season