Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

14 minutes ago, raw10 said:

I know money is not always the answer but why can't they buy the trademark back from whom ever has it now? Saves a lot of trouble and also being able to reintroduce it back at some stage in the future.

Tbf. The old ones look pretty crap. 

16 hours ago, raw10 said:

I know money is not always the answer but why can't they buy the trademark back from whom ever has it now? Saves a lot of trouble and also being able to reintroduce it back at some stage in the future.

I'm sure they could but it wouldn't be like buying shares in a club - the price would be whatever the seller wanted to charge. If they got wind that the club really wanted the rights back (and let's face it, the club even approaching them for them after 20 years with no contact would be a pretty clear clue in itself) they would likely instantly go "yeah, that'll be £50m please" or some similarly unlikely figure that the club just might feel forced into accepting.

Besides, I suspect that there was at least a general desire to update the badge anyway. While the old one is loved, you can tell it's a 70s design. At the very least they'd probably want to alter the font and neaten up some bits, plus the general desire to copy the general CFG badge format, so why not just start from scratch and not even have to outlay 50 grand let alone a potential 50 mill. 

1 hour ago, Falastur said:

I'm sure they could but it wouldn't be like buying shares in a club - the price would be whatever the seller wanted to charge. If they got wind that the club really wanted the rights back (and let's face it, the club even approaching them for them after 20 years with no contact would be a pretty clear clue in itself) they would likely instantly go "yeah, that'll be £50m please" or some similarly unlikely figure that the club just might feel forced into accepting.

Besides, I suspect that there was at least a general desire to update the badge anyway. While the old one is loved, you can tell it's a 70s design. At the very least they'd probably want to alter the font and neaten up some bits, plus the general desire to copy the general CFG badge format, so why not just start from scratch and not even have to outlay 50 grand let alone a potential 50 mill. 

To me the new badge and the badge which was sold were way too similar for the new badge to not be infringing on the old badges trademark.

I did a little bit of investigating and it appears the Manchester City have purchased the trademark for the old badge.  The listed owner is the same as the new application too.

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00000986168

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003128350

• Like 2

11 hours ago, malloy said:

To me the new badge and the badge which was sold were way too similar for the new badge to not be infringing on the old badges trademark.

I did a little bit of investigating and it appears the Manchester City have purchased the trademark for the old badge.  The listed owner is the same as the new application too.

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00000986168

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003128350

Fair play. Anyway, I'm pretty sure my second point has it - they wanted to make it slightly more modern-looking and more CFG related. 

"Industry sources suggest it values Melbourne City in excess of $200m, though Manchester City remains the jewel in the crown, valued at more than $2.5billion"

Find this hard to believe CFG bought Melbourne Heart for around 11 million and now not even 2 years later its worth $200m, more than double what CFG paid for NYCFC licence. 

They'll be claiming that that's what the "Melbourne City brand" is worth based on how much it cost the Chinese to buy a stake in CFG. It's not just the physical assets, it's intellectual property, the personnel employed and their expertise, etc., etc. Melbourne City isn't a stand-alone entity either - the links with the rest of CFG's assets also have a value.

54 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Pay wall.

No doubt CFG will not rest till they get their dream of a strong independent Melbourne City in a unique sky blue jersey.

I doubt if Sydney FC share their enthusiasm  though, so getting it up won't be easy. ( in my view an independent a league would help, as Sydney would have less influence, which I reckon is a big part of why CFG are pushing for it)

• 4 weeks later...

85,000 fans take part in Cityzens Giving campaign

cg-final_khpuhr4saodf1rabt83px16v3.png.4

City Football Group (CFG) will fund six charitable projects around the world thanks to the overwhelming support of fans.

Before Christmas, Melbourne City FC asked fans to back our Cityzens Giving campaign and we are proud to reveal that a staggering 85,967 of you did just that.

This is CFG's largest ever public-facing campaign and it has been made extra special by the fact it was a group effort.

Melbourne City FC, its partners and most importantly, the fans, have come together to help make positive changes to communities across the globe.

Cityzens Giving asked supporters to vote on how $850,000 AUD, donated by CFG and its partners, should be split between six causes on six different continents.

The funds will be used to help young people tackle tough challenges affecting their communities, through the power of football.

By choosing a cause, City fans have made a difference to the lives of people in Melbourne (Australia), Cape Coast (Ghana), Kolkata (India), New York (United States), Sao Paulo (Brazil) and Manchester (United Kingdom).

The Healthy Goals project in Kolkata gained the most votes and will receive $212,500, which will be used to deliver potentially life-saving health and hygiene education to children and teenagers.

We are also delighted that $74,375 will go to Melbourne City’s local I Speak Football program, which uses football to connect isolated young people and support them to make friends, build leadership skills and reduce loneliness.

This is the second time we have ran the Cityzens Giving campaign, taking the total commitment in 2015 and 2016 - by CFG and its partners - to $2 million, funding nine community football projects worldwide.

In addition to the 2016 projects, we have continued to fund initiatives in Cape Town (South Africa), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and Baranquilla (Colombia).

This wouldn’t be possible without the fantastic efforts of Melbourne City FC fans and we would like to thank everyone who has participated for their support over the past two years.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/85000-fans-take-part-in-cityzens-giving-campaign/arb2cn3s61m01pmm6w1g5awzg

Edited by Torn Asunder

This is an interesting piece because it also has relevance to our club. For Manchester City, the signing of a quality manager can attract big name players to join who feel confident that the manager will guide them to silverware. Can work for Melbourne City as well. Already we've seen that CFG's investment in new facilities has been applauded by players - our men's and women's team and with players coming to our club. Change JvS with a quality manager and we'll go from strength to strength.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

With Pep Guardiola, Manchester City have the muscle to attract Lionel Messi or Paul Pogba

Date
February 2, 2016 - 9:34AM

Jason Burt

Pep Guardiola, the current Bayern head coach, will become Manchester City's manager on June 30.

Pep Guardiola, the current Bayern head coach, will become Manchester City's manager on June 30. Photo: AP

What do you do when you have hired the best manager in the world? You try to get one of the best players in the world also.

How do you get one of the best players in the world? You have a lot of money, which Manchester City have, a lot of ambition, which they also possess - and the manager to attract him. Pep Guardiola is that man.

In the sights: Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

In the sights: Barcelona's Lionel Messi. Photo: AP

Players will join Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich because of the clubs they are and the dominance they enjoy in their leagues. Players will now want to join City because of Guardiola.

The appointment of Guardiola on a three-year contract is the game-changer for City, for the Premier League and for European football. With one outstanding move City have redrawn the landscape. It is the biggest thing to have happened to the club since Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan's takeover in 2008, which also hijacked the transfer window deadline day that summer.

Since then City have won the league twice, the FA Cup and the League Cup once each, but this is the move that can take them to the next level; the deal to make them serial winners and a European and global superpower.

On the horizon?: Juventus' Paul Pogba.

On the horizon?: Juventus' Paul Pogba. Photo: AP

In a sense it hardly now matters whether City can or cannot attract a galactico on the field. They will have that man on the touchline and, above all, Guardiola improves players.

He will get the best out of what he has got and what he has got is pretty good already. It is hard to imagine Sergio Aguero, Raheem Sterling, David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne all not improving under Guardiola. His record suggests that is a given.

So City do not have to buy a superstar, but they can now more easily because of Guardiola. It is certain he will have discussed the club's future transfer plans and budgets during his negotiations and expected an upgrade.

He will want the tools for the job because he is coming to City to try to win the lot. Having dominated La Liga and the Bundesliga it is the turn of the Premier League.

Guardiola would then have the full set by the age of just 48 - when his City deal will expire (he has told friends he will retire as a football manager by the age of 50 such is the intensity with which he works).

With the Abu Dhabi investment and resources, with the easing of the rules on Financial Fair Play and with the impending arrival of Guardiola, it could make for an irresistible combination.

Guardiola does not come cheap. He will be the best-paid manager in the Premier League and probably the highest remunerated in world football. At Bayern Munich his salary was just over £15 million ($30.5 million) a year. He will not be taking a pay cut to join the richest league in the world.

It means City's horizons have widened. This is about European and world domination, not just about winning domestic titles.

Guardiola wanted to come to England and they made sure they got him. If there is a sniff that Lionel Messi, Neymar or Paul Pogba - to give three examples - feel the same then Guardiola enhances City's chances of getting one of them also. It is logical and makes strategic sense. Talks took place last summer for Pogba but broke down over the financial demands being made by his agent. That may now change.

It was towards the end of November that rumours started to circulate that City were on the verge of a significant announcement. That announcement transpired to be the £265 million ($538 million) investment in City Football Group, which owns the club, from a Chinese consortium, CMC, which acquired a 13 per cent stake.

Around the same time it emerged that Guardiola would not be staying at Bayern, that Carlo Ancelotti would become their next coach. And that Guardiola would become the next City manager.

City dispute this timeline but it does seem the investment was in some way linked to Guardiola being signed up. The talk at that time was that there would also be significant investment in the City squad this summer and that there could be attempts to sign someone such as Messi. It is not far-fetched with the pieces falling into place so far.

It is an anomaly of the Premier League that it spends more money than any other league on transfers - spending has hit £1 billion ($2.03 billion) for the first time in a season - but does not have the superstars of La Liga or, arguably, the Bundesliga.

It is another anomaly that the Premier League has some of the best managers in the world - Arsene Wenger, Juergen Klopp, Louis van Gaal (despite his problems) and now Guardiola with Jose Mourinho wanting back in - but does not have those players.

City's wealth, ambition but, above all, now having Guardiola, could just be about to change that.

The Telegraph, London

7 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

Our facilities, and CFG, can't be applauded that much by the Club as we're seeing time and time again players pissing off elsewhere

I think your looking at from the wrong perspective. It's more about the players that want to come because of the set up as opposed to those who want to leave. We basically put together a world class women's team in a short period on the back of mainly the facility and behind the scenes set up.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

City Football Group agrees multi-team digital partnership

17 February 2016

By Michael Long

City Football Group (CFG), the international soccer ownership network established by Premier League club Manchester City, has entered into a global partnership with web development platform Wix.com.

The partnership sees Tel Aviv-based Wix become the official website design and hosting partner of the group and three of its clubs: City, New York City FC and Melbourne City FC.

Wix will initially collaborate with Manchester City to create video content to be released on the club’s website and social platforms. A new video starring City stars Pablo Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Nicolas Otamendi and Raheem Sterling has been rolled out to kick off the partnership.

Under the agreement, Wix will also have a range of branding rights, including advertising during City’s home league and domestic cup matches at the Etihad Stadium, and the opportunity to run fan promotions such as ticket giveaways.

"We are excited to announce our new partnership with Wix, who offer a unique website design and hosting platform that reflects City Football Group`s passion for creating an innovative and engaging product,” said Omar Berrada, the group commercial director for City Football Marketing, which brokers CFG’s commercial partnerships

“This partnership will not only introduce our clubs` global fan bases to an easily accessible online tool, but will also provide them with increased opportunities to get closer than ever to all the on the pitch and behind the scenes action taking place across Manchester City FC, New York City FC and Melbourne City FC."

As well as Tel Aviv, Wix also has offices in San Francisco, New York, Miami, Vilnius and Dnepropetrovsk.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/city_football_group_agree_multi_team_digital_partnership

6 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

City Football Group agrees multi-team digital partnership

17 February 2016

By Michael Long

City Football Group (CFG), the international soccer ownership network established by Premier League club Manchester City, has entered into a global partnership with web development platform Wix.com.

The partnership sees Tel Aviv-based Wix become the official website design and hosting partner of the group and three of its clubs: City, New York City FC and Melbourne City FC.

Wix will initially collaborate with Manchester City to create video content to be released on the club’s website and social platforms. A new video starring City stars Pablo Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Nicolas Otamendi and Raheem Sterling has been rolled out to kick off the partnership.

Under the agreement, Wix will also have a range of branding rights, including advertising during City’s home league and domestic cup matches at the Etihad Stadium, and the opportunity to run fan promotions such as ticket giveaways.

"We are excited to announce our new partnership with Wix, who offer a unique website design and hosting platform that reflects City Football Group`s passion for creating an innovative and engaging product,” said Omar Berrada, the group commercial director for City Football Marketing, which brokers CFG’s commercial partnerships

“This partnership will not only introduce our clubs` global fan bases to an easily accessible online tool, but will also provide them with increased opportunities to get closer than ever to all the on the pitch and behind the scenes action taking place across Manchester City FC, New York City FC and Melbourne City FC."

As well as Tel Aviv, Wix also has offices in San Francisco, New York, Miami, Vilnius and Dnepropetrovsk.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/city_football_group_agree_multi_team_digital_partnership

How can that work while FFA maintains a stranglehold on A-League club web-sites?

Under the agreement, Wix will also have a range of branding rights, including advertising during City’s home league and domestic cup matches at the Etihad Stadium. 

So does this mean the home jersey will get another plastic like white rectangle stuck to it? 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Hopefully they've manage to escape the FFA generically beige web platform

Even if they do all it will mean is we go from being an afterthought on the A League site to an afterthought on the Man City site.

Are we moving to dodgihad next season? (Oh just realised that was referring to Manchester, silly me, the announcement was obviously about Man City)

Edited by Shahanga

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Even if they do all it will mean is we go from being an afterthought on the A League site to an afterthought on the Man City site.

Are we moving to dodgihad next season? (Oh just realised that was referring to Manchester, silly me, the announcement was obviously about Man City)

Could someone (younger than me) who understands what all those buzzwords (such as hosting platforms) really mean precis the announcement down to one paragraph in plain English? Many thanks.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Could someone (younger than me) who understands what all those buzzwords (such as hosting platforms) really mean precis the announcement down to one paragraph in plain English? Many thanks.

Servers, web design and multimedia. 

I'm pretty sure it means we will soon be split off from the shitty FFA/A-League template. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strider said:

Servers, web design and multimedia. 

I'm pretty sure it means we will soon be split off from the shitty FFA/A-League template. 

I am hoping this is the case, so that CFG can do the fuck they want with our website, as at the moment, they are restricted to the "template" brought down from FFA on our website, which is typical of FFA trying to control every single aspects of A League clubs. Its about time that FFA let us do our own things and understand that we are now professionally run club. It makes logical sense to consolidate and perhaps from admins perspective, they have a more consistent look.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We arguably have the two most marketable players in the league at the moment. Its about time the club starts marketing these two (Novillo Fornaroli) 

Fornaroli's style is something even the AFL types would probably come and watch given how combative and scrappy he is. Although putting Novillo out there will probably be awkward right now