Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

Club: West Melbourne FC

Home Venue: Epping Stadium ( following a new grandstand being built around the back and side of the pitch)

Capacity: 15,000

Why would you have a West Melbourne club based at Epping? Melbourne City is closer at Bundoora.

Good question. You probably wouldn't, if you did have a west Melbourne club, which stadium would be used?

TBH I don't know of any such facilities. Certainly Maribyrnong City Council does not appear to have any such facilities and perhaps it may be possible to use the Whitten Oval if some arrangement can be had with FFC and the VFL.

Brimbank does have facilities in Keilor but I believe those are only for local club/amateur use only. Ditto Wyndham.

As I mentioned elsewhere there is an argument for the FFA to spend some money in producing better facilities.

Of course I would also presume that all matches would still be played at AAMI.

Whitten Oval is the most realistic possibility, and even that's a long shot. Would require working something out with the Aussie Rules interests, as you point out, and significant investment.

If we were to talk complete fantasy, could build a new stadium at Newell's paddock with a new train station. That would be ideal.

Club: West Melbourne FC

Home Venue: Epping Stadium ( following a new grandstand being built around the back and side of the pitch)

Capacity: 15,000

Club: Melbourne Knights FC

Home Venue: Knights Stadium

Capacity: 12,000

I rememeber attending a game at Knights stadium and there were 12,500. Not to mention the derby games against Sth Melbourne which constantly drew 10k+

Some sense coming into this debate at last, at least on the "small town" issue. Further, promotion and relegation to and from the A-League won't ever be feasible in a country such as Australia. We don't even have it in Australian Rules or Rugby League.

I assure you it will happen.

The chances are minimal. For starters, the present 10 "clubs" have licences to operate in the A-League for the next 20 years. I very much doubt that that licence canvasses the possibility that the A-League will be expanded to more than one division within that period. Secondly, we know full well that a "club" kicked out of the A-League, either by relegation or for some other reason, could not continue to operate in the manner that it had in the past; effectively it would fold because of lack of investment, sponsorship etc. We see from overseas how difficult it is to regain top league status once you have lost it; even the better contracted players have "relegation get-out" clauses because they don't want to play in a lower division. Many, many reasons. Forget it.

That is exactly the problem, they aren't clubs they are private companies franchised by the FFA to operate teams in the HAL and NYL competitions. Dropping out of the HAL or even the possibility of dropping out of the HAL would affect the value of the franchise. It creates a problem for the FFA as it really needs to ensure the viability of existing franchises before expanding, yet its expansion that will most effectively the TV returns if its done carefully and successfully.

1/ Expansion beyond 10 teams is inevitable. 12 teams in the next few years, Will hopefully mean a better media deal and more $$$$.

2/ BUT expansion means finding players - local and overseas. They have to be quality to maintain and lift playing standards and attract the punters. A drop in player quality will see people stay away from games (promotion/relegation in Australia will dilute playing standards as we don't a a deep reserve of football talent compared to Euro or South American countries).

2/ According to the ABS survey, around half of Australia's active participants in outdoor football/soccer come from NSW. One of the next expansion clubs will definitely come from Sydney - probably in the south around Wollongong

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/4156.0.55.001Feature%20Article1May%202009?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=4156.0.55.001&issue=May%202009&num=&view

In fact based on these number, nearly half the HAL teams will continue to come from NSW.

3/ The west of Melbourne has been and I reckon continues to be a strong hold for football. It's probably why the Western Bulldogs have always struggled to gain significant traction. In time FFA should help bring the people of the west behind a football team - just like they did for WSW.

3/ Promotion/relegation in Australia, in the foreseeable future, is a wet dream.

I think the AFC have decided to let us off temporarily but eventually they will want promotion and regulation, and that's why it will happen.

Also enough of the 'city planner club' talk. South Sydney is South Sydney, Wollongong is Wollongong, has a 'city planner club' actually worked in any sport in this country?

No thanks to Knights and South or any NSL teams being bought back in. Would drop both ours and Victards crowds by a few thousand. +South would be just as big as MV if they bough them back in

So your saying South could have an average of 23k like MV?

South have gained more supporters at lakeside than we have aami multiple times and thats without the advertisement of the aleague. Im sure a lot more supporters would come out of the woodwork.

I have to agree with those above who said promotion and relegation isn't likely to be introduced into the A-League. The economics just doesn't work with Australian football the way it is right now. Unless a lot of money gets pumped into the NPL, relegation would be fiscal suicide, and who is going to vote themselves off the gravy train by introducing it?

• Like 1

Obviously I know very little about the geographic layout of Australia. So I would like to ask if there is a possibility that there could be a set up like the MLS where you have two conferences of about 8 to 10 teams?

Our population distribution is nothing like that of the USA. You have something like 45 cities with a population of 400,000 or more, we have eight. 40% of our population lives in Sydney and Melbourne.

No thanks to Knights and South or any NSL teams being bought back in. Would drop both ours and Victards crowds by a few thousand. +South would be just as big as MV if they bough them back in

So your saying South could have an average of 23k like MV? South have gained more supporters at lakeside than we have aami multiple times and thats without the advertisement of the aleague. Im sure a lot more supporters would come out of the woodwork.

Do you attend South games? Lucky to get 2k at their games.

So your saying South could have an average of 23k like MV?South have gained more supporters at lakeside than we have aami multiple times and thats without the advertisement of the aleague. Im sure a lot more supporters would come out of the woodwork. Do you attend South games? Lucky to get 2k at their games. To be fair South Melbourne have been around for years and are arguably the most successful Australian club, IMO they would pull more in the A league than we do, understandably. But they sometimes do actually pull very good crowds for how little the NPL is supported.

So your saying South could have an average of 23k like MV?South have gained more supporters at lakeside than we have aami multiple times and thats without the advertisement of the aleague. Im sure a lot more supporters would come out of the woodwork. Do you attend South games? Lucky to get 2k at their games.

Don't look at what they get for NPL crowds. I know a lot of people, and I mean a lot, who say "fuck city fuck victory, south was my club blah blah blah". People my age, dad's age, and his dad's age have heaps of people that would only support a league if south was in it. This doesn't include the large amount of Greeks that's would jump off the city and victory Wagon and go straight back to south without thinking twice. I myself, even though being Greek don't want South or any NSL team back in for these reasons.

Obviously I know very little about the geographic layout of Australia. So I would like to ask if there is a possibility that there could be a set up like the MLS where you have two conferences of about 8 to 10 teams?

Honestly would rather not do this. If it was to be done it would be done down the Barrassi Line (the term for the division between afl and rugby States.) this would mean the qld/nsw/nz conference would have minimal travel compared to the vic/wa/sa conference. Plus it would take away or at least water down the Sydney/melbourne rivalries that have developed, this is a big selling point for a league as no other sport really offers this.

• Like 1

So your saying South could have an average of 23k like MV?South have gained more supporters at lakeside than we have aami multiple times and thats without the advertisement of the aleague. Im sure a lot more supporters would come out of the woodwork.Do you attend South games? Lucky to get 2k at their games. Don't look at what they get for NPL crowds. I know a lot of people, and I mean a lot, who say "fuck city fuck victory, south was my club blah blah blah". People my age, dad's age, and his dad's age have heaps of people that would only support a league if south was in it. This doesn't include the large amount of Greeks that's would jump off the city and victory Wagon and go straight back to south without thinking twice. I myself, even though being Greek don't want South or any NSL team back in for these reasons. I was one of those people

So your saying South could have an average of 23k like MV?South have gained more supporters at lakeside than we have aami multiple times and thats without the advertisement of the aleague. Im sure a lot more supporters would come out of the woodwork.Do you attend South games? Lucky to get 2k at their games.Don't look at what they get for NPL crowds. I know a lot of people, and I mean a lot, who say "fuck city fuck victory, south was my club blah blah blah". People my age, dad's age, and his dad's age have heaps of people that would only support a league if south was in it. This doesn't include the large amount of Greeks that's would jump off the city and victory Wagon and go straight back to south without thinking twice. I myself, even though being Greek don't want South or any NSL team back in for these reasons.I was one of those people

There's quite a few

So your saying South could have an average of 23k like MV?South have gained more supporters at lakeside than we have aami multiple times and thats without the advertisement of the aleague. Im sure a lot more supporters would come out of the woodwork.Do you attend South games? Lucky to get 2k at their games.Don't look at what they get for NPL crowds. I know a lot of people, and I mean a lot, who say "fuck city fuck victory, south was my club blah blah blah". People my age, dad's age, and his dad's age have heaps of people that would only support a league if south was in it. This doesn't include the large amount of Greeks that's would jump off the city and victory Wagon and go straight back to south without thinking twice. I myself, even though being Greek don't want South or any NSL team back in for these reasons.I was one of those people

So was l. But these days supporting City l see people who supported Knights as far as l can remember now support City.

I don't think so. Not unless you wanted to banish Perth Glory to their own western conference where they just sit and watch everyone else having all the fun in the east (which I guess is probably what most people on this forum would argue that Perth residents imposed on themselves when their ancestors chose to move to Perth in the first place, but that's beside the point).

It's a bit of a horrible map, what with the awful colours, but this gives you a good idea of where the teams are:

A-League_Labelled_Map.jpg

More than that, though, I really think that the A-League needs to resist any temptation to do this. Much as the A-League is a little weird in format already, with its round-robin-of-3-games format where you will play each other team an unequal amount of times home as away, it still at least has the principle that you play each team as many times as the others. That, in my opinion, should be sacrosanct above all other ways of running a league. I guess I can kind of go for the SPL system, but at least that's based on merit in that the league is split in the second half of the season by how many points teams got in the first half, but the MLS system where you arbitrarily will play one team once and another team four times (that's no exaggeration) just because one is a long way away needs to be banished from football forever. It makes for a totally unequal league and it almost makes the Play-off system necessary because it makes a mockery of the idea of the league table actually being a viable way of ranking teams on performance. What happens if all the weakest teams are in one conference and all the strongest in another? You end up with one team winning their conference despite being worse than every team they played from the other conference and still going into the play-offs as conference champions, with all the attendant bonuses to how many play-off rounds you get to skip and how much home advantage you earn, which is idiotic.

• Like 1

I think the AFC have decided to let us off temporarily but eventually they will want promotion and regulation, and that's why it will happen.

Also enough of the 'city planner club' talk. South Sydney is South Sydney, Wollongong is Wollongong, has a 'city planner club' actually worked in any sport in this country?

Promotion/relegation will be suicide for HAL. It will be resisted. It's a system that works where football is by far the dominant code, where there are plenty of players of decent quality to fill the top two or more tiers and where there is plenty of dollars to go round. Billion dollar deals for AFL/NRL and a lot of of the better sporting talent sucked towards these comps makes it pretty fcuken hard for the HAL. Not impossible, but hard ATM.

And yes Wollongong is south of Sydney  :up:

A greater emphasis on the Asian Cup should be the focus if wanting to expand into Asia.

Another option base a Singapore owned team in Darwin build a small ground ~7k.

Darwin is one hour ahead of them in time zone - broadcast into Singapore.

How good would their march be every week, march to Changi, onto the plane, off the plane, to the ground.

But seriously up there as the worst idea I've ever heard.

Fuck oath, must be good shit these boys smoke before they present their ideas.

Promotion/relegation will be suicide for HAL. It will be resisted. It's a system that works where football is by far the dominant code, where there are plenty of players of decent quality to fill the top two or more tiers and where there is plenty of dollars to go round. Billion dollar deals for AFL/NRL and a lot of of the better sporting talent sucked towards these comps makes it pretty fcuken hard for the HAL. Not impossible, but hard ATM.

I imagine it will end up being a system where it's possible but hard for a team to get promoted, something like the NPL winner having to face off over two legs against the bottom A-League club

I imagine it will end up being a system where it's possible but hard for a team to get promoted, something like the NPL winner having to face off over two legs against the bottom A-League club

And then being subject to certain criteria like stadium size, training facilities etc. Effectively ruling out any relegation

• Like 2

Expansion would only realistically come from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, which fits the mantra the FFA are currently using of fish where the fish are.

Auckland would likely be an option if it didn't hold so many political issues with the AFC. Having a NZ derby would likely bring more value to the broadcasting, commercial and fan interest in NZ.

In Melbourne, there are next to no viable options to expand into. The West is already seems to be a football heartland for MV (majority) and MC (minority) support, which makes that a hard one to try and make big inroads for their own team. Add in that no stadium exists that would be even close to HAL standards, it's something that may appear like a great idea at first but has a number of significant challenges.

The South-East has no viable stadium option either, which makes it a non-starter. The market is significant though, given the distance from the city centre and the population size in the region.

Must say though, I was at the Good Friday Appeal today at the Exhibition Centre and MV had a big area with their branding and football activities. Where was our commitment to this event? Getting the community engagement level up further at such events with many kids and adults alike around to see the commitment of our club.

We seem to be falling further behind in our initiatives and our market penetration at a time we should be increasing it.

• Like 2

For all those advocating Canberra - think again.

As a current resident (yeah yeah get your jokes in now), the city is characterised by fair weather supporters. The raiders barely get decent crowds at all, and the running joke is that each time they announce the crowd figure it's a cumulative total for the season, and includes all staff, cheerleaders and the players themselves.Not only that but it is extremely difficult to retain quality players, (carney, duggan, ferguson, zilman, milford etc)  because frankly they don't want to live in Canberra when they could live in Sydney or Brisbane. The Brumbies are not that much better in terms of ongoing support, despite being fairly successful in recent years (something that the Raiders haven't be able to maintain). Again fans come out of the woodwork when the teams scrape into the finals, but dwindle when the mediocrity sets in - which for w new football franchise the chances are that they'll have to crawl before they walk and the crowds won't support them Granted that both the Raiders and Brumbies play over winter (which to anyone who has had the misfortune of attending a game at Bruce stadium in july - it is colder than a witches tit) and an A League franchise playing over summer wouldn't have to deal with that I still can't see them generating the critical mass of fans to become a viable club.

There is some extensive support, Ivan Slavich a prominent businessman in the region has been a great advocate and has put his money where his mouth is. He also secured some support from other business leaders but again failed to secure a license when they were previously up for grabs. Maybe if the local government pushed through with plans for a stadium in the city as part of the City to the Lake plans rather then stumping up for a useless light rail project then that might make it a more attractive proposition. But for those expecting Canberra to be a viable option in the short to medium term, think again...

• Like 1

For all those advocating Canberra - think again.

As a current resident (yeah yeah get your jokes in now), the city is characterised by fair weather supporters. The raiders barely get decent crowds at all, and the running joke is that each time they announce the crowd figure it's a cumulative total for the season, and includes all staff, cheerleaders and the players themselves.Not only that but it is extremely difficult to retain quality players, (carney, duggan, ferguson, zilman, milford etc) because frankly they don't want to live in Canberra when they could live in Sydney or Brisbane. The Brumbies are not that much better in terms of ongoing support, despite being fairly successful in recent years (something that the Raiders haven't be able to maintain). Again fans come out of the woodwork when the teams scrape into the finals, but dwindle when the mediocrity sets in - which for w new football franchise the chances are that they'll have to crawl before they walk and the crowds won't support them Granted that both the Raiders and Brumbies play over winter (which to anyone who has had the misfortune of attending a game at Bruce stadium in july - it is colder than a witches tit) and an A League franchise playing over summer wouldn't have to deal with that I still can't see them generating the critical mass of fans to become a viable club.

There is some extensive support, Ivan Slavich a prominent businessman in the region has been a great advocate and has put his money where his mouth is. He also secured some support from other business leaders but again failed to secure a license when they were previously up for grabs. Maybe if the local government pushed through with plans for a stadium in the city as part of the City to the Lake plans rather then stumping up for a useless light rail project then that might make it a more attractive proposition. But for those expecting Canberra to be a viable option in the short to medium term, think again...

Canberra have already proven they are at the very least a serious option.

Firstly the FFA set them a challenge of getting X supporters to (I think) a Socceroos game and they'd get the next licence, they achieved it but still didn't get the licence. Don't remember the details but it's easily found on google (cbf right now).

The other significant variable that I think is a good indicator of whether a location is viable for an A-league team is how many Socceroos, or just professional footballers really, it has produced. Because this is a good measure of the size of the football population, and Canberra does well in this regard (as does Wollongong, whereas the locations of failed franchises don't really)

Edited by Tesla

I may just be being shortsighted here, but would getting the A-League to expand into southern Asia even be I'm our favour? I mean, yes, you're bringing the league to a few countries it's not been in before but at the same time you're also giving those countries their own teams and that will encourage the fans there to support our new rivals, not us. Sure, you'll always get the odd renegade fans who support the successful (ha) or "big" teams, but the majority of Singaporeans are going to shout for Singapore Overcrowded FC or AFC Ladyboys of Bangkok. I take the argument that the money would slowly start to wash into the league, but the only way that would make its way into our pockets is by increases in prize money, and it would then make its way back out at an equal rate as the salary cap ballooned to match the new popularity of the league, and besides, all the other clubs in the league would benefit from the exact same factors. What this doesn't really do for the club us guarantee higher maychday revenue, merchandising income or regional fan base, which are the ways that this club can seriously get a leg up on opposition.

I can't help thinking that if CFG just wants to get a few Singaporean fans then they would be better served buying a pet project for peanuts in the Singaporean league and keeping the two leagues separate. Is there something I'm not seeing here?

• Like 1

I can't help thinking that if CFG just wants to get a few Singaporean fans then they would be better served buying a pet project for peanuts in the Singaporean league and keeping the two leagues separate. Is there something I'm not seeing here?

If it is CFG raising the idea or suggesting that it should happen, I think it is more to do with agitation to get what they want as opposed to really trying to expand the league to those countries.

FWIW I am 100% against the league expanding into Asia, not even sure that I am comfortable having a NZ team in the comp.

• Like 1

Honestly - being Greek - if South Melbourne managed to join the A-League I wouldn't go back to them; I'm a Heart fan and will continue to be (unless South adopt MHFC's red & white stripes - which I doubt).

I reckon a South/South East Melbourne team will work and (now that Heart are financially secure) should be seriously considered and to be seriously considered it needs to include South Melbourne FC. They could become South Melbourne United or South Melbourne Knights or even Southern Cross FC, the name they put forward when applying for Melbourne's second licence (which was given to Melbourne Heart FC).

If they can't be based at Lakeside due to too many clashes with Athletics events (or whatever), they could potentially build a boutique stadium at the Kingston Heath Soccer Complex, say 15,000? It's between a golf course and an airport so I'm sure noise pollution (for residences) won't be a problem. There's plenty of room for parking too, and if parking runs out next to the stadium there's a Direct Factory Outlet (DFO) across the road with ample parking.

Heck the clubs could even fly straight to Moorabbin airport, pick a couple of bargains at DFO, then cross the road and get ready for their match! Lol

• Like 1

I heard not too long ago, before the training base upgrade, that CFG were looking into building a stadium for us in the South or South-East - unsure how that'll work now with the upgrade to the training base but it was definitely discussed from what I was told.

Edited by CALZALOL

I heard not too long ago, before the training base upgrade, that CFG were looking into building a stadium for us in the South or South-East - unsure how that'll work now with the upgrade to the training base but it was definitely discussed from what I was told.

Wasn't there a mention of a small stadium being built when Latrobe Uni released a video of their future plans for the Bundoora campus? Surely that would have to be done in partnership with us.

If we ever look at our own stadium one essential is adequate public transport and close proximity to a station.

• Like 1

If we ever look at our own stadium one essential is adequate public transport and close proximity to a station.

As if in Victoria the governments would build a university so far away from public transport! Seriously, you we think we are stupid or something?

As if in Victoria the governments would build a university so far away from public transport! Seriously, you we think we are stupid or something?

La Trobe was originally built as a regional type university. They did not plan on people commuting there. There were plans to have many more on campus residences.

The City Business Lunch was today:

Melbourne City FC held an insightful and inspiring City Business lunch this afternoon with the Premier League and AFC Asian Cup trophies headlining the event next to Socceroos Head Coach Ange Postecoglou and City Football Group and Manchester City FC CEO Ferran Soriano.

https://www.facebook.com/melbournecityfc/photos/a.411592357478.188284.284795317478/10152862947107479/?type=1

Postecoglou:

Postecoglou was speaking as a guest of Melbourne City at its annual business lunch and praised the A-League club's development in the city's north.

At Bundoora, City has laid the most advanced training pitch in the country, utilising the same technology as many leading European football clubs.

Postecoglou said the development was exactly what the sport needed to see at an elite level.

There were "two undeniable facts" that would underpin the code's growth - and necessitate more grounds and facilities at all levels, he said.

The worst scenario would be not enough pitches or facilities for young players.

"The game has never been more popular, and it's being played by more boys and girls than ever before," he said. "That's not going to stop, that's just going to keep going.

"Facilities, coaching become real challenges to us.

"Our challenge is to keep taking the game to whoever wants to play it."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/08/postecoglou-wants-socceroos-training-base

Ferran Soriano:

Speaking earlier, the Manchester-based chief executive of the City Football Group, Melbourne City's majority owners, said that the key ingredients to building a successful football business were commitment and balance, and that adversity was usually a better teacher than success.

The commitment, Ferran Soriano said, was not the kind that could be bought. It must be felt and believed from the heart, the Spaniard insisted.

Balance was crucial both within the team and off the field, he added.

"You need the commitment from your heart, the kind that can't be bought with a lot of money. I think football is a metaphor for life, life in 90 minutes, life in a short space. 

"You need emotional balance [as well as a balance of different skills and abilities on the field and within the organisation].

"Everyone in the team has to know what is expected of them. They must know what their role is, and accept it.

"We learn more from things that go wrong than things that go well," said Soriano who, before he joined the Abu Dhabi-owned City group, was vice-chairman and chief executive of one of the biggest sporting entities on the planet, Barcelona Football Club.

Another speaker at the lunch, Victorian premier Daniel Andrews, said his family were now keen followers of soccer because of his eight-year-old son Joseph's passion for the game.

"He is soccer mad. He started in Auskick, but he's found a real passion and love for the beautiful game," the premier said.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ange-postecoglou-wants-socceroos-to-do-some-world-cup-damage-and-scare-rivals-20150408-1mgqqg.html

Edited by Murfy1

That the premier of Victoria turned up to this 'soccer' event says something really positive about the impact we're making in this state. The connection with CFG and now the 2015 International Champions Cup in July is making a splash.

I'd say he was only to there to see if there was an opportunity to cancel the event.  And who could blame him, he's on his hat trick after all.

• Like 2