Melbourne Football

NPL 1 - Round 4 - Melbourne City v Brunswick City

Murfy1

BTW this is Melbourne City's 2nd match in NPL1. The team will play 2 matches later to make up for not playing matches in round 1 and 2.

NPL Preview: Melbourne City FC v Brunswick City

Friday, 20 March 2015

CAgGIbbUgAALGyY.png

Melbourne City FC return to action after a week long hiatus as they look to secure a maiden NPL 1 victory against strugglers Brunswick City at Dunstan Reserve on Saturday.

The newly crowned FNYL champions made a promising start to their debut NPL campaign two weeks ago, coming from behind to secure a hard fought 2-2 draw with Moreland City.

Goals from A-League striker Marc Marino and Matthew Millar rescued a point for Joe Montemurro’s side, who showed great character in a resilient performance against a physical Moreland outfit.

After scoring a league high 40 goals in the National Youth League, City will look to continue their fine goalscoring form against a Brunswick side who boast the competition’s worst defensive record.

A horror start to the campaign which has seen them concede a whopping nine goals in their opening three matches, a 3-0 loss to Bendigo City has left the winless Brunswick stranded at the bottom of the NPL 1 West table.

Brunswick’s defensive frailties have been exacerbated by a lack of creativity in attack, with Ahmed Turer netting their only goal of the campaign so far in a 2-1 defeat against Moreland City. 

However a crucial 2-0 victory over Dandenong City in the FFA Cup last week will provide the side with a much needed confidence booster as they look to kick start their 2015 season. 

Melbourne City FC reserves are also in action against Brunswick City, with their clash taking place at 1pm before the seniors kick-off at 3pm.

Match Details
PS4 NPL 1 West Round 4
Saturday, 21 March 2015
Melbourne City FC vs Brunswick City 

Kick-off: Seniors 3pm, Reserves 1pm.
Venue: Dunstan Reserve – Pitch 1, Brunswick West.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/npl-preview-melbourne-city-fc-v-brunswick-city/1nhcrw9p7sih91xn15bliof4xa

NPL REPORT: Melbourne City FC 3-2 Brunswick City

Saturday, 21 March 2015

Melbourne City FC have recorded their first ever NPL Victoria win after a thrilling 3-2 victory over Brunswick City at Dunstan Reserve on Saturday.

Goals to Marc Marino and Wade Dekker saw a rampant Melbourne City FC coast to an early 2-0 lead, but Joe Montemurro’s side were twice punished for some sloppy defending as James Neighbour and Juan Portillo capitalised to level the scores.

But FNYL golden boot winner Dekker proved to be the hero for Melbourne City FC, completing a well taken brace in the 63rd minute to give Melbourne City FC an historic first NPL victory.

Melbourne City FC made a lively start and controlled possession during the early stages of the first half, with Marino providing a constant threat down the right flank as City began to apply early pressure in the final third.

And it only took 13 minutes for them to take the lead as Marino raced into the penalty area and coolly slotted past Brunswick ‘keeper Jack Dovey to give City a deserved 1-0 lead.

Melbourne City FC goalkeeper Yaren Sozer was called upon to protect the lead only five minutes later, producing a smart save at the feet of Fasile Aden as Brunswick looked to threaten on the counter attack.

But Dekker soon doubled the lead in the 26th minute as City threatened to run away with the contest. An excellent ball from Phillip Petreski released Anthony Taranto down the left flank, with the winger sending in an excellent cross for Dekker to sweep home and make it 2-0.

Portillo came close to pegging a goal back in the 34th minute with a powerful free kick that sailed narrowly wide of the upright as Brunswick began to look more threatening in attack.

Brunswick were given a lifeline in the 39th minute when Neighbour capitalised on some poor City defending to fire into the top corner and make it 2-1.

A fast start to the second period saw Brunswick City come firing out of the blocks, with Portillo working himself into a dangerous area and fizzing in a cross which was well held by Sozer.

And they were rewarded in the 48th minute when Portillo seized upon an errant pass from Tyler James to rush through on goal and finish past Sozer to make it 2-2.

Brunswick City nearly completed a sensational turn around only a minute later when Adel sent a looping header just wide of the goal after beating Sozer to the high ball.

Portillo came close to snatching the lead in the 57th minute, blazing a volley over the cross bar as Brunswick began to turn the screws.

But Dekker restored the lead for Melbourne City FC, latching on to an excellent cross from defender Matthew Millar in the 63rd minute to make it 3-2.

Brunswick City were gifted a golden chance to equalize in the 73rd minute when Sozer’s poor touch allowed Portillo to gain possession in the penalty area, but the striker could only direct his effort into the side netting.

Substitute Nick Morton nearly sealed the points for Melbourne City FC in the 84th minute when his strike was cleared off the line, before Dovey reacted well to smother Dekker’s follow up effort.

Brunswick City continued to pile numbers forward in search of a late equalizer but were denied by the brilliance of Sozer in the 85th minute, with the goalkeeper making an excellent save from Yasin Abdulahi to preserve the three points for City.

Match Details

Melbourne City FC 3 (Marc MARINO 13’, Wade DEKKER 25’, 63’)

Brunswick City 2 (James NEIGHBOUR 40’, Juan PORTILLO 49’)

Melbourne City FC Line-up: 1. Yaren SOZER (GK), 2. Tyler JAMES, 5. Leo ATHANASIOU, 6. Phillip PETRESKI ©, 8. Ratip CILELI (Trey O’SULLIVAN 87’), 9. Wade DEKKER, 12. Anthony RIZK, 14. Baki EFE, 16. Matthew MILLAR, 19. Anthony TARANTO (Joseph MONEK 80’), 22. Marc MARINO (Nick MORTON 61’)

Substitutes not used: 20. Jack WEST-ASTAFI, 21. Ali Eiygun.

Yellow cards: Efe 39', Marino 60'

Red cards: nil

Brunswick City Line-up: 34. Jack DOVEY, 29. Loukas AOUN, 23. Cameron WILLIAMS (George MARKELIS 90’), 39. James NEIGHBOUR, 60. Yach BOL, 35. Anthony IANCHELLO, 3. Michael KARKOPOULOS (Abdiqafar URUSHE 63’), 10. Juan PORTILLO, 28. Fasile ADEN, 52. Reha KURUL, 31. Jack CAMINIT (Yasin ABDULAHI 83’)

Substitutes not used: 1. Christy BENNETT-SPARK, 77. Alessandro VERRATTI

Yellow cards: Aden 68', Portillo 80'

Red cards: nil

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/npl-report-melbourne-city-fc-3-2-brunswick-city/1ltpivd2ohclm19vpt87q72u37

Interesting that Dekker was the golden boot winner but was not even selected for the bench against Sydney.

he isnt that good, people overestimate the standard of the Youth League. Seen him many times, he isnt a standout and is not a class above the rest. I saw Connor Chapmans first Youth game and it was clear that he was a gun.

Interesting that Dekker was the golden boot winner but was not even selected for the bench against Sydney.

I find it difficult to believe he couldn't add something from the bench?

Does anyone know how old he is and how long he has been with the club?

According to PFA, Dekker will turn 21 in April this year. This has been his first season with City having progressed from Eastern FC to Northcote FC which is a club in the state league. All reports I have found on the web say that he is a good learner; apparently it took him a little while to find his feet at City NYL team but he got there in one season to win the golden boot.

I am still finding it difficult to accept that he would not have been nominated for the bench given that the club's dearth in true strikers. The only way I can make sense of it is that City went to get a draw with an attitude that if an opportunity to score arose then the players should take it.

I believe Wade Dekker is 20, and he has only been with the club since the previous NYL season started (that is, since the middle of last year).

The issue with promoting Dekker, as a number of people have said, is the NYL is far from a perfect guide to how players will perform in the A-League. Ross Archibald, for example, won the NYL player of the year award last year at Melbourne City, and won the NYL player of the year award the previous year in Brisbane Roar's NYL team, and as Melbourne City supporters know all too well Archibald has had difficulty stepping up to A-League level.

With regards to NYL goalscorers, a few seasons ago there was a player named Zac Walker, who was this club's NYL golden boot winner, and one of the top NYL goal-scorers. But the coaches at this club never even put him on the bench for an A-League game, and no A-League club signed Walker up after the club released him. That's all because it is too easy to score in the NYL (even Michael Mifsud last season scored for fun in the NYL when he was dropped to the NYL team), therefore just because a player can score in the NYL it's far from certain he'll be a goal-threat in the A-League.

Of course it's better than nothing, scoring and playing well in the NYL, and I'm hopeful that a few Melbourne City NYL players are able to step up to the A-League,. In particular, I'm a bit hopeful about Hernan Espindola, Philip Petreski, Nick Symeoy, Luke King, and maybe Dekker, Zinni, Rizk and Stevanja. But to be honest if even half of those players become squad players in the A-League then that's a very good return. 

The limited number of players transitioning from the NYL to the A-League is why there's a lot of discussion about changing the youth football competitions in Australia, and perhaps even getting rid of the NYL. IMO more football not less is required for young Australian footballers, so IMO if the NYL is kept and young players also play in the NPL then that should help their development significantly.

But at the end of the day, like in countries all around the world (including England), most young players, even in the top youth competition/s, simply won't cut it in senior 1st division football. So hopefully some good youth players come through the A-League club's youth systems, including the odd gem, but most players in the NYL and other youth teams won't be good enough to meaningfully contribute to Melbourne City's senior team, so for now it's fair enough that older players (like Safuwan and Novillo), perhaps with A-League experience (like Clisby, Jaliens) are given preference over untested NYL youth players.  

According to PFA, Dekker will turn 21 in April this year. This has been his first season with City having progressed from Eastern FC to Northcote FC which is a club in the state league. All reports I have found on the web say that he is a good learner; apparently it took him a little while to find his feet at City NYL team but he got there in one season to win the golden boot.

I am still finding it difficult to accept that he would not have been nominated for the bench given that the club's dearth in true strikers. The only way I can make sense of it is that City went to get a draw with an attitude that if an opportunity to score arose then the players should take it.

Haven't seen him play, but have seen him train(I think), he's small and would get hammered.

I believe Wade Dekker is 20, and he has only been with the club since the previous NYL season started (that is, since the middle of last year).

The issue with promoting Dekker, as a number of people have said, is the NYL is far from a perfect guide to how players will perform in the A-League. Ross Archibald, for example, won the NYL player of the year award last year at Melbourne City, and won the NYL player of the year award the previous year in Brisbane Roar's NYL team, and as Melbourne City supporters know all too well Archibald has had difficulty stepping up to A-League level.

With regards to NYL goalscorers, a few seasons ago there was a player named Zac Walker, who was this club's NYL golden boot winner, and one of the top NYL goal-scorers. But the coaches at this club never even put him on the bench for an A-League game, and no A-League club signed Walker up after the club released him. That's all because it is too easy to score in the NYL (even Michael Mifsud last season scored for fun in the NYL when he was dropped to the NYL team), therefore just because a player can score in the NYL it's far from certain he'll be a goal-threat in the A-League.

Of course it's better than nothing, scoring and playing well in the NYL, and I'm hopeful that a few Melbourne City NYL players are able to step up to the A-League,. In particular, I'm a bit hopeful about Hernan Espindola, Philip Petreski, Nick Symeoy, Luke King, and maybe Dekker, Zinni, Rizk and Stevanja. But to be honest if even half of those players become squad players in the A-League then that's a very good return. 

The limited number of players transitioning from the NYL to the A-League is why there's a lot of discussion about changing the youth football competitions in Australia, and perhaps even getting rid of the NYL. IMO more football not less is required for young Australian footballers, so IMO if the NYL is kept and young players also play in the NPL then that should help their development significantly.

But at the end of the day, like in countries all around the world (including England), most young players, even in the top youth competition/s, simply won't cut it in senior 1st division football. So hopefully some good youth players come through the A-League club's youth systems, including the odd gem, but most players in the NYL and other youth teams won't be good enough to meaningfully contribute to Melbourne City's senior team, so for now it's fair enough that older players (like Safuwan and Novillo), perhaps with A-League experience (like Clisby, Jaliens) are given preference over untested NYL youth players.  

Thanks for that Murfy

I can understand that it is a big step from youth to senior football, but sometimes players can take the step up in their stride.

It appears to me that Dekker has stepped up a level, and for me finding someone who has a knack for scoring goals is priceless.

I don't see what is wrong with having him on the bench when the regular players struggle to score.

I understand what you are saying about Archibald, however his biggest drawback was his lack of pace and that is something that can leave you exposed when your a defender.

• Like 1

Haven't seen him play, but have seen him train(I think), he's small and would get hammered.

There have been plenty of players who have been small but big in stature Jovan

It all depends on the personality of the player.

It would be good to hear from someone who may know Dekker, what sort of character he is.

I am still finding it difficult to accept that he would not have been nominated for the bench given that the club's dearth in true strikers. The only way I can make sense of it is that City went to get a draw with an attitude that if an opportunity to score arose then the players should take it. Haven't seen him play, but have seen him train(I think), he's small and would get hammered.

It would be good to hear from someone who may know Dekker, what sort of character he is. Am pretty good friends with his missus. Only gotten to know him in the past few years. Can say he's a top bloke, and a gentleman Comes across abit awkward at times, but can be the life of the party when comfortable. He's a pretty good drummer as well.

In terms of football ability, have played futsal with him and he's lightning fast and always seems to be in the right spot at the right time. He's not gonna the most talented player in the world, but bloody milks everything he can from the talent he has. Being small wouldn't help his case playing in the A league. But has held his own at Northcote for the seniors. Not sure if he's good enough for the A league, but will give a bloody crack if given the chance.

• Like 4

It would be good to hear from someone who may know Dekker, what sort of character he is.

Am pretty good friends with his missus. Only gotten to know him in the past few years. Can say he's a top bloke, and a gentleman Comes across abit awkward at times, but can be the life of the party when comfortable. He's a pretty good drummer as well.

In terms of football ability, have played futsal with him and he's lightning fast and always seems to be in the right spot at the right time. He's not gonna the most talented player in the world, but bloody milks everything he can from the talent he has. Being small wouldn't help his case playing in the A league. But has held his own at Northcote for the seniors. Not sure if he's good enough for the A league, but will give a bloody crack if given the chance.

Thanks for the info Alex

I hope the club at least gives the kid a chance. Sometimes it's the player you least expect to succeed who does.

Edited by silva10

Certainly does raise questions around the value of the NYL, not just at MC but across all clubs.

The NPL is a big step in the right direction, playing against older players week in, week out.

This is purely speculative(nothing new). I think the youth league team in time will be purely become that, a 20 and under situation. The NPL will be a de facto reserves. The only thing that will affect this is the actual time of year these teams can compete.