Melbourne Football

The road to the WC Finals - now 2022

Tesla

So things begin today with the first post Asian Cup squad announced.

TBH I'm not against the call up of Chris Ikonomidis, have read things about him for a little while as he has been doing well in primevera and seems like he is possibly a legit talent, but fact of the matter is I don't see him getting called up if anyone else was in charge, is he Ange's cousin or something?

Fwiw, loans of young players are more common in Italy than other places so you'd think he'd be on loan if he was close to senior level.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

The lack of Terry Antonis in the squad hopefully means that Mooy can stake his claim as more than just a fringe player. 

Would be surprised if Ikonomidis played any minutes at all but some NT exposure can only be a good thing for the kid.

France a huge chance to take this one IMO

This thread was more just for Australia, but yeah some good young players for France. Belgium will also be peaking. Usual suspects will be up there too. Too hard to predict anything 3 years out.

• 2 weeks later...

Should destroy Macedonia TBH, Macedonia basically playing a second string team and struggling of late.

having said that, in the last 9 years they've only conceded 3 goals once at home, that was against Spain. So perhaps it won't be a thrashing on the score line, but I'd say it will be in terms of the play.

Edited by Tesla

The one thing this team lacks is a finisher.  

I would day we have one guy who could be that finisher........Kerem Bulut.

The guy knows where the goals are, knows where to be and has the technical skill and composure to finish.

One goal I saw him score in the Aussie youth team where he cut inside of his defender to finish a one on one with the keeper was sublime and so un-Australian like.

Having said the who knows if he can stop harrassing MCDonald's staff and keep out of jail long enough?

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

Should destroy Macedonia TBH, Macedonia basically playing a second string team and struggling of late.

having said that, in the last 9 years they've only conceded 3 goals once at home, that was against Spain. So perhaps it won't be a thrashing on the score line, but I'd say it will be in terms of the play.

To add to that, it wouldn't surprise me if that game against Spain was fixed. I remember watching that, we were 2-0 up and the stadium was packed to celebrate 100 years of Macedonian football. A few goals for Macedonia gave everyone something to cheer about, and most were fine to only lose by the 1 goal. Spain's reputation was left in-tact too.

THE SCIENCE BEHIND THE SOCCEROOS' SUCCESS REVEALED

A winning formula off the field is helping Australia coach Ange Postecoglou achieve success on it, as the Socceroos prepare to take the first step towards the 2018 FIFA World Cup with their first Asian Football Confederation (AFC) qualifier in June.

By David Lewis

6 APR 2015 - 9:20 AM UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO

Tweet

Armed with laptops, smart phone apps, GPS devices and test kits to assess players’ saliva for signs of fatigue or infection, the national team’s backroom boffins are harnessing science and technology to ring every last ounce of performance from the Asian champion.

So sophisticated and advanced are the measures being used to both enhance and monitor players’ fitness levels, that after the Socceroos turned on the style to draw 2-2 with world champion Germany in Kaiserslautern last month, the DFB ((Deutscher Fußball-Bund) approached the Socceroos hierarchy to learn some of their sports science secrets.

Former Socceroos star Luke Casserly, FFA’s head of national performance, set about instigating a more systematic and coordinated off-field approach after his appointment in 2013, explaining that for Australia to play the “proactive, high pressing style” that Postecoglou has pioneered for the national team they need every player operating at optimal level.

“We need every player in best possible condition to perform for national team, especially going into big tournaments like World Cups and Asian Cups where they are games every four or five days,” Casserly said.

“If you are not in peak physical condition, you can’t play at the tempo and intensity we aim for.

“Whenever a player comes into camp we already have daily data on their club training loads at our disposal.

“We also have own history of when they have been with us and we know if they are at peak levels or not, and what assistance they need.”

In-house testing revealed that at the AFC Asian Cup in January, not only was Australia the fittest team, it also had the tournament's four most highly-tuned athletes: Mathew Leckie, Matt McKay, Robbie Kruse and James Troisi.

“They were a cut above in terms of their physical output,” Casserly said. “Leckie in particular is a machine … he has enormous physical qualities.

“We have a computer program which looks at the distance they cover, their high speed activity and the recovery time between these bursts."

It’s not just the outfield players who are burning up the turf. Mat Ryan covered a staggering 7.8 kilometres against Germany, according to Casserly. “I would be very surprised if there was keeper in the world who could match that sort of output,” he said.

Without a sports science arm when he arrived, Casserly quickly set about changing that.

“We always look to do things better and we are now leaders in the field which is why the DFB are interested in what we are doing,” he said.

In what amounts to a high-tech diary, players punch information into a smart phone app on their sleep patterns, muscle soreness, fatigue levels and a variety of other physical indicators throughout the season.

“They are also continuously tracked by GPS, in collaboration with their clubs, and the players shoot the information through to us,” Casserly said.

“When they’re in camp there’s also a saliva test every day to determine immune function and hormone levels. We are trying to take things to another level."

Diet is also closely watched, although at their clubs players are allowed to follow common sense rather than strict edicts.

“Because they are monitored and tested every time they come into camp, it’s not hard to tell if anybody has gone off track,” Casserly said.

"Mile Jedinak is gluten and lactose intolerant and he has diet of his own. He is very particular in what he eats and his body is in fantastic shape."

Australia flew a travelling support cast into double figures for the games against Germany and Macedonia last month.

The ensemble included team doctor Mark Jones, sports science chief Dr Craig Duncan and his assistant Fabian Ehrmann, video and data analyst Peter Cklamovski, physiotherapists Les Gelis and Kurt Lyle, and masseur Luke Atwell.

Australia has a bye on match day one of the opening qualification rounds for Russia 2018 and won’t play its first match until 16 June away from home.

The draw, which takes place in Kuala Lumpur on 14 April, will include 40 teams split into eight groups of five.

The winner of each group and the best performing four second placed teams advance to the final phase of qualifying.

With all of Australia's national teams under the auspices of Postecoglou, the plan is to have them all playing the same way, so players can make a seamless transition from the youth teams to the senior squad.

“When a player comes into the Socceroos from junior teams he will know the environment he’s coming into and that’s reflective of our curriculum,” Casserly said.

“In the past under Holger Osieck, the Socceroos would play the way he thought was right, while the Olyroos would play their way and the Young Socceroos would do their thing. That’s all changed now.

"What you saw against Germany is how we want to play, the Australian way if you like.

"It’s no mistake that Ange is the coach, he is philosophically aligned with the curriculum."

For those who haven't seen it/ couldn't be bothered searching.

A group of 5, with only one to progress.

Our 4 opponents: Jordan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Bangladesh

Don't imagine there are any easy away venues there but:

current world rankings:

• us - 63
  • Bangladesh - 167
  • Jordan - 103
  • Kyrgyzstan - 153
  • Tajikistan - 143

So as Jovan said (which I already figured) Jordan will be our main rivals.  (Bear in mind that the "Asian formula" of just winning at home no longer really applies.  We have to win the group, second is nothing, so we'll need to not lose in Jordan this time for instance edit- this is wrong (i got it from SBS) first 4 2nd places go through as well.)

Edited by Shahanga

For those who haven't seen it/ couldn't be bothered searching.

A group of 5, with only one to progress.

Our 4 opponents: Jordan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Bangladesh

Don't imagine there are any easy away venues there but:

current world rankings:

• us - 63
  • Bangladesh - 167
  • Jordan - 103
  • Kyrgyzstan - 153
  • Tajikistan - 143

So as Jovan said (which I already figured) Jordan will be our main rivals.  (Bear in mind that the "Asian formula" of just winning at home no longer really applies.  We have to win the group, second is nothing, so we'll need to not lose in Jordan this time for instance edit- this is wrong (i got it from SBS) first 4 2nd places go through as well.)

Goal differences will be mighty, expect to see Jordan to progress too as 1st of the 2nd placers