Melbourne Football

The road to the WC Finals - now 2022

Tesla

Just now, Young Polak said:

Fucking come at me mate

Lol, chill young fella.

Maclaren has struggled at international level so far for mine.. Maybe after some time in Europe he might be ready.

Anyway we actually got the chocolates! Much better in that second half.

Going to be very interesting what happens in the other 2 group games.

If UAE can beat Thailand they are still in the hunt for 3rd. This would then make their home game against the Saudis a huge game for them (& not a dead rubber, like that intellectual giant Robbie Slater claimed last night).

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Going to be very interesting what happens in the other 2 group games.

If UAE can beat Thailand they are still in the hunt for 3rd. This would then make their home game against the Saudis a huge game for them (& not a dead rubber, like that intellectual giant Robbie Slater claimed last night).

Yeh exactly. Either way it looks like one of Japan, Aus and SA will be extremely stiff and miss out by a point or GD. A UAE win over SA will go a hell of a long way to Aust qualifying imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

They had the Saudi Redders in goal last night

Harsh on Redders. Tbh we barely tested him last night.

On a side note; how about that non-pen. That has to be one of the more blatant ones ive ever seen not given.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

On a side note; how about that non-pen. That has to be one of the more blatant ones ive ever seen not given.

This.

With any luck we get a soft one against Japan. 

7 hours ago, bt50 said:

We had 3 shots on target, he pulled the ball out of the net 3 times. A most Redders-like performance, especially the first goal

On 09/06/2017 at 2:14 PM, Hellenic Hero said:

What did we think of the failure to observe the minute of silence by the Saudis?

Pretty ordinary. The "not our culture" defence doesn't sit well. We did what the Thais asked viza viz their king.

Anyway the federation issued an official apology, doesn't fix it, but does show they have woken up to the concept of "respecting the culture of your hosts".

I've moved on.

• Like 1

Huge game tonight with Iraq and Japan. If Iraq can get some sort of a result from the Japs it will mean a draw away to Japan for us sets up an elimination final with Saudi Arabia for Japan in the final game and all but guarantees us direct qualification.

I'm aware a draw away to Japan isnt the easiest of tasks either but an Iraq result tonight seriously puts us in the drivers seat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Huge game tonight with Iraq and Japan. If Iraq can get some sort of a result from the Japs it will mean a draw away to Japan for us sets up an elimination final with Saudi Arabia for Japan in the final game and all but guarantees us direct qualification.

I'm aware a draw away to Japan isnt the easiest of tasks either but an Iraq result tonight seriously puts us in the drivers seat.

The UAE vs Thai game is big too.  A win keeps the UAE in the hunt for 3rd.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

1-1 in Tehran.

A draw away to Japan should be enough to get us to Russia now. Im not completely dismissing the Thais, but pretty confident we'll do them at home.

Agreed, and will add that a loss pretty much guarantees a third place finish. Would rely on things really going our way in terms of the remaining Saudi games.

Just now, mattyh001 said:

Agreed, and will add that a loss pretty much guarantees a third place finish. Would rely on things really going our way in terms of the remaining Saudi games.

Don't quite agree there that it guarantees anything. Its quite conceivable that UAE or Japan take points from SA, certainly a lot more so than us not getting a win against the Thais, in which case we are still in the equation. That does infer that results need to go our way somewhat (either UAE or Japan need to beat KSA or both need to draw) but imo the Saudis arent in Japan, or even our class (and i say that begrudgingly because we've been average since the Asian Cup) and could easily drop one of those very difficult games.

I'd love to see Ange swallow his pride and completely park the bus with a couple of speedy wingers against Japan away in the hope of playing out a boring draw, although I doubt he'll go for it.

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'd love to see Ange swallow his pride and completely park the bus with a couple of speedy wingers against Japan away in the hope of playing out a boring draw, although I doubt he'll go for it.

It's a massive conundrum. I'm leaning with you but also feel some pride in our national coach sticking by his beliefs. 

What is puzzling to me is that Ange has stated he won't stay beyond the world cup. So his dogged attitude to being pro active and trying to be a ball playing side could fail badly if Australia doesn't qualify. 

I'm hoping with the confederations cup we regain a bit of swagger and string some big results and head into the final qualifying games with genuine form and confidence. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Don't quite agree there that it guarantees anything. Its quite conceivable that UAE or Japan take points from SA, certainly a lot more so than us not getting a win against the Thais, in which case we are still in the equation. That does infer that results need to go our way somewhat (either UAE or Japan need to beat KSA or both need to draw) but imo the Saudis arent in Japan, or even our class (and i say that begrudgingly because we've been average since the Asian Cup) and could easily drop one of those very difficult games.

That's the problem I have / see; a win for Japan against us puts them 4 points clear and thereby Japan will qualify them with a game in hand - the same game they are due to play Saudi in the middle east. The Saudi's are more than good enough to get a win and draw overall from their last two games (particularly since the Saudi v Japan game will have little value from the Japanese point of view should Japan have qualified after beating us)

I expect that we will beat Thailand, the problem is more we need the Saudi's to lose. And given they are sitting second in the group, it's more about results - not who's in who's class, who's better