Melbourne Football

The road to the WC Finals - now 2022

Tesla

Not feeling that patriotic. 

Good night.

1 minute ago, Tesla said:

It was a good corner from Mooy but the goal was all Leckie. Dunno why people always bag him out, always seems to go well when I watch. 

He's been good. Kruse on the other wing has been rubbish.

absolutely diabolical, yet still totally predictable lol.

Ange should be sacked purely for continuing to persist with the world's biggest shitcunt in Robbie Kruse, and for not starting our best defender (by a mile) in Trent Sainsbury. Otherwise we're just suffering from a severe lack of available talent atm and the scary thing is that there really doesn't seem to be a lot coming through.

Calling it now, we won't qualify for Russia or Qatar.

Haven't seen the game as yet. From the comments though, I am reminded of a Rale Rasic quote "good teams adapt to the conditions".

Saudis and Japan both won so we are now 3 points off a qualifying spot. We need 10 more points I suspect and we still have to go to Japan.

So we must win our 3 home games.

That was horrible. Ange's tactics have been a head scratcher for most of the qualifiers. Don't know why he thinks we can play this way when our only recent world cup success has come from a defensive plan with a counter attack. 

If he thinks somehow he can change a game plan and expect players to buy in in a short time, well it's not going to happen. What he should be doing is setting game plans to suit the top players in our squad and building a squad around that as he has about 5 players that are familiar and competent with a similar system. Just play that. 

The errors in possession was just woeful. 

Edited by playmaker

We really do have a shit squad. Full backs are both plodders. Sainsbury is good at Centre Back yet Ange plays midfielders like Milligan there! Jedinak is getting slower, well past his best, Juric is a big donkey who doesn't know how to get into goal scoring positions, hides behind defenders when the ball is about to be crossed. Leckie is an even  bigger donkey, strong and fast but the touch of rocking horse and dumb as they come, just gives the ball away 3 times out of four. Milligan is okay in midfield but a journeyman, not a match winner. Luongo and Rogic have nice touches but poor defensive workrate. Brad Smith's touch is woeful although he is dangerous going forward. Troisis is a "nearly" guy: nearly gets shots on target, nearly makes a defense-splitting pass, beats one player and nearly beats the second. Which leaves Mooy and Cahill as the only real class players without major flaws and Cahill is getting past it. Luckily we have decent keepers otherwise we would be in bigger trouble. When Irvine is head and shoulders our best player then we are in trouble. The worst thing is that we have turned into a boring, boring team. Hoping for a result but not too confident.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Its a crunch game thats for sure.

A win puts us well and truly in the drivers seat while a draw leaves us at the mercy of other results. A loss all but condemns us to the playoff. FWIW I'm still exceptionally confident of getting to Russia via the playoffs anyway, unless we run into the US.

Still we definitely want to avoid that.

Im reasonably confident that we'll come away with a result, but i also think they'll park the bus big time so hopefully we can score early and pick them off after that.

12 hours ago, bt50 said:

A loss all but condemns us to the playoff. FWIW I'm still exceptionally confident of getting to Russia via the playoffs anyway, unless we run into the US.

I can't keep track of 5th place qualifying from Asia.  2010 it was a playoff vs Oceania?  2014 a playoff vs 5th from South America?  What is it this time a playoff vs CONCAF 8th?

Obviously the two 3rd places have to play off for 5th first and foremost.

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I can't keep track of 5th place qualifying from Asia.  2010 it was a playoff vs Oceania?  2014 a playoff vs 5th from South America?  What is it this time a playoff vs CONCAF 8th?

Obviously the two 3rd places have to play off for 5th first and foremost.

Im not sure how it worked in the past but it's def North America this time. Outside of US, Mexico and perhaps Costa Rica i don't really hold Any fears if it comes to that.

The AFC playoff spot isn't any guarantee either tbh, as it'd most likely be against South Korea or Uzbekistan who are both really decent sides. Also, the way we're going we'd probably struggle against Honduras who aren't half bad either let alone a US or Costa Rica.

If we don't win tonight, I honestly doubt we'll qualify for the World Cup nor do we really deserve to.

5 hours ago, Nate said:

The AFC playoff spot isn't any guarantee either tbh, as it'd most likely be against South Korea or Uzbekistan who are both really decent sides. Also, the way we're going we'd probably struggle against Honduras who aren't half bad either let alone a US or Costa Rica.

If we don't win tonight, I honestly doubt we'll qualify for the World Cup nor do we really deserve to.

Agree 100%. Stick a fork in us if we lose tonight, we're done.