Melbourne Football

The road to the WC Finals - now 2022

Tesla

15 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I don't get the Ange hate here (and elsewhere). We've tried a sudden U-turn style wise and rolled over. It'll only get worse under Arnold, reactive defensive football with players that can't defend as a team and make too many individual errors.:( I'm expecting nothing from BvM and less from Arnold.

Allegedly Bielsa was keen to take the job and the money wasn't an issue but FFA knocked him back because he can't speak English. Anyone would think that he was applying for an AFL coaching job.

Things haven't changed much. 

Back in the day Zoran Matic was light years ahead anyone in the game here and was continually overlooked and mainly due to his broken English. Arguably our best ever national coach prior to (Guus and Ange) was Rasic and tbf he wasn't some grand orator but was handy.

15 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I don't get the Ange hate here (and elsewhere). We've tried a sudden U-turn style wise and rolled over. It'll only get worse under Arnold, reactive defensive football with players that can't defend as a team and make too many individual errors.:( I'm expecting nothing from BvM and less from Arnold.

Allegedly Bielsa was keen to take the job and the money wasn't an issue but FFA knocked him back because he can't speak English. Anyone would think that he was applying for an AFL coaching job.

I'm with you on this one. After Gus we had a couple of non-entities that played the defensive reactive football and did not get far either. So reverting back to that style is not going to be either easy or successful.

10 hours ago, playmaker said:

Because he has wrecked our potential with his delusion and self importance. He got out because he knew what he did was shit and knows he was lucky to fake his way through to qualification. So instead of manning up  and following through by doing the right thing, he got out to save face like a weak prick that he is because he knew we had no chance by playing his way.

Weak as piss.

Van Marwijk is quality and hopefully can repair the damage in time.

I am not sure what potential you are talking about. Let's face it, we don't have that many quality players, for what ever reason the A-League has yet to produce a steady stream of potential quality players (and that's a completely different topic) and so our potential will always be limited and depend on luck. Furthermore, other countries are improving their playing stocks with many the only major sport is football. Finally, Ange was pushed because failure to qualify directly rather than through the play offs cost the FFA several $M.

The biggest issue with Ange was his stubborness, he changed the formation when we were looking like qualifying in the automatic spot. It all turned to shit and he refused to admit that was the reason why and stuck with it and we just scraped past Syria. The media and the fans had the right to question his decisions, instead of learning from his mistakes he took his Tonkas and left the sandpit. 

30 minutes ago, malloy said:

Talk of boycotting the WC due to the Russian spy incident. Tbh that would be up there with on of the better outcomes for us. Would save alot of embarrassment and Timmy would miss out.

I for one look forward to cheering on the FIFA athletes from Australia.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Talk of boycotting the WC due to the Russian spy incident. Tbh that would be up there with on of the better outcomes for us. Would save alot of embarrassment and Timmy would miss out.

I was under the impression it would be a diplomatic boycott, not a team one.

On 3/25/2018 at 9:26 AM, belaguttman said:

Remember, under Osiek, we only just qualified directly in the last game, it's not like Ange's experience was that different. The only campaign when we qualified easily was under Verbeek, a good qualification coach (we only conceded 1 goal) but a terrible tournament coach

Why do you say he was a terrible tournament coach?

He got 4 points, and was a  Wilkshire one on one miss to the second round=poor tournament coach?

Or was it the one bad game against GERMANY.   Who beat Argentina ( Messi, Tevez, Mascherano, Higuain) by the same scoreline.  And then they smacked 4 past England,  And were robbed a penalty against Spain, ( best NT of that decade).

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Why do you say he was a terrible tournament coach?

He got 4 points, and was a  Wilkshire one on one miss to the second round=poor tournament coach?

Or was it the one bad game against GERMANY.   Who beat Argentina ( Messi, Tevez, Mascherano, Higuain) by the same scoreline.  And then they smacked 4 past England,  And were robbed a penalty against Spain, ( best NT of that decade).

He emphasised defence and erred on the side of caution, that's Ok, it got us lots of dull 1-0 wins during qualification, but tournaments are a different beast, the balance point between caution and risk is in a different place. It's more suited to where Ange is comfortable

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 11:39 PM, belaguttman said:

He emphasised defence and erred on the side of caution, that's Ok, it got us lots of dull 1-0 wins during qualification, but tournaments are a different beast, the balance point between caution and risk is in a different place. It's more suited to where Ange is comfortable

What?

Verbeek got 4 points at the WC, with two games played with 10 men.  The two send offs were Kewell and Cahill, easily in the top 3 of players this country has ever produced.  His ONE blemish was the Germany game.  Well, he had good company in Maradona and Capello who also got hammered by 4 goals.  I'm not even going  even begin to compare the players those two had at their disposal compared to what Verbeek had: an ageing squad of second and third tier players.

Postecoglou failed to win a single point and nearly cost us WC qualification.  He knew he was up for another Zero points total in Russian and bailed.

As for "youf" go through the list of players that Verbeek played.  Its huge.  Not his fault they were rubbish.

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

What?

Verbeek got 4 points at the WC, with two games played with 10 men.  The two send offs were Kewell and Cahill, easily in the top 3 of players this country has ever produced.  His ONE blemish was the Germany game.  Well, he had good company in Maradona and Capello who also got hammered by 4 goals.  I'm not even going  even begin to compare the players those two had at their disposal compared to what Verbeek had: an ageing squad of second and third tier players.

Postecoglou failed to win a single point and nearly cost us WC qualification.  He knew he was up for another Zero points total in Russian and bailed.

As for "youf" go through the list of players that Verbeek played.  Its huge.  Not his fault they were rubbish.

Yep never been a fan of Ange. The Asian cup win was good ill admit that.

But sooking about the small pressure put on him by the press, almost failing to qualify and then dogging the team were all pretty low in my books

Not to mention all the Pets he had in the team

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So an extended squad has been named. Thank god sanity prevailed and Both Cahill and Arzani are in the squad, though it’s a sad reflection on our football development that a 38 year old Cahill is still the best striker in the country.

I’d probably jettison:

vukovic

giannou

maclaren

petratos

Brillante, gersbach, susnjar, troisi & ruka.

Ps: thought I’d posted the team?

try again:

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/socceroos-world-cup-squad-preliminary

Edited by Shahanga

I have 2 Category A tickets to Australia vs France and 5 Category A tickets to Belgium vs Tunisia that I don't need. I am finding the FIFA resale process very confusing and don't know how to get rid of these.

Has anyone got any experience with this process?

Given the tickets have names on them, would this be an issue if sold to someone else? I'm not looking to make money off the tickets, happy to sell at face value (will even negotiate on price)

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

So an extended squad has been named. Thank god sanity prevailed and Both Cahill and Arzani are in the squad, though it’s a sad reflection on our football development that a 38 year old Cahill is still the best striker in the country.

I’d probably jettison:

vukovic

giannou

maclaren

petratos

Brillante, gersbach, susnjar, troisi & ruka.

Ps: thought I’d posted the team?

try again:

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/socceroos-world-cup-squad-preliminary

I would pick McClaren over Cahill. 

6 hours ago, malloy said:

I would pick McClaren over Cahill. 

Really??? You’re not still bitter at Cahill because the club gave him the lemonade over his outburst surely? He’s been punished with interest for that one in any case.

Maclaren has been terrible at international level. Doesn’t impress me at all. Needs to improve a lot to be given another chance.

Cahill has still got that one thing - get the ball near his head and he’ll score, regardless of the class of defender or goal keeper. The odds of needing that in the tournament are very high. Be one of the first names I’d write down.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Really??? You’re not still bitter at Cahill because the club gave him the lemonade over his outburst surely? He’s been punished with interest for that one in any case.

Maclaren has been terrible at international level. Doesn’t impress me at all. Needs to improve a lot to be given another chance.

Cahill has still got that one thing - get the ball near his head and he’ll score, regardless of the class of defender or goal keeper. The odds of needing that in the tournament are very high. Be one of the first names I’d write down.

No i view Cahill as a player that does not fit into teams. He is old and slow and as most players who are off the pace of the game they start being dirty pricks (was like that for us). I think he will be a liability for the team for that reason (referees won't be as lenient towards him as A-League refs were) and for also the reason that he will be hugely selfish and only care about himself scoring as opposed to the team scoring. 

I also think it is wrong to play players on reputation and gives the wrong signal to others to play a person who has pretty much only got the equivilent of 5 full matches under their belt in a year.

Not many surprises in that squad, just hoping Karacic is better than Risdon, which can't be too hard on this seasons form,

I'd get rid of: Langerak, Risdon, Meredith, Brilliante, Troisi, Rukavysta, Giannou as easy choices, then it's between Degenek, Milligan, Nabbout, Petratos, Cahill and MacLaren as the final 2 to leave the squad

13 hours ago, malloy said:

No i view Cahill as a player that does not fit into teams. He is old and slow and as most players who are off the pace of the game they start being dirty pricks (was like that for us). I think he will be a liability for the team for that reason (referees won't be as lenient towards him as A-League refs were) and for also the reason that he will be hugely selfish and only care about himself scoring as opposed to the team scoring. 

I also think it is wrong to play players on reputation and gives the wrong signal to others to play a person who has pretty much only got the equivilent of 5 full matches under their belt in a year.

He trains really well though apparently

• Like 1

So this “squad of 32” is actually a squad in name only? As in they aren’t in camp, and before they go to camp 6 will be “cut”?

Really it’s a “train on” notification even though most of them are still in competition anyway.

Strikes me as 95% marketing.

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

So this “squad of 32” is actually a squad in name only? As in they aren’t in camp, and before they go to camp 6 will be “cut”?

Really it’s a “train on” notification even though most of them are still in competition anyway.

I reckon its a bit of marketing and the fact that some leagues and league cups are still to play. Injuries could effect the final squad. 

I'm confident our boy will be off to Russia and be used as an impact sub late in games. 

17 hours ago, Shahanga said:

There's no squad or camp as such. It's just a list of names. For example, I saw an article on Arzani that says he's been doing special training with one of the NT assistant coaches.

(Which means, I assume, city players aren't training at the moment?)

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm still yet to understand what Marwijk has done so far that Arnold could not have. Doesn't take long to write down a list of the 32 or so most probables.

Prolonged the moment where the nation completely turns on Arnold by at least a couple years 

• Like 4

The first 6 out:

Maclaren, Giannou, Langerak, Wright, Susnjar, Gersbach.

Not surprised about Wright really. Not many central defenders in the squad but the guy has the touch of an elephant.

Maclarens hat trick clearly couldn’t override the memories of his previous performances in the green and gold.

The Croatian kid and Arzani were always going to make this cut. 

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

The first 6 out:

Maclaren, Giannou, Langerak, Wright, Susnjar, Gersbach.

Not surprised about Wright really. Not many central defenders in the squad but the guy has the touch of an elephant.

Maclarens hat trick clearly couldn’t override the memories of his previous performances in the green and gold.

The Croatian kid and Arzani were always going to make this cut. 

So, without a camp and only a few days after writing out his list of 32, what were the reasons for crossing off those particular six names? Further deep and meaningful thought? Clairvoyance?

All the Maclaren love out there (which I don’t get, zero goals in 5 games and never even looked like scoring) had completely overlooked the fact we have, at best, a mid table Championship level defence.  Good luck winning games with that Bert.

As to the forwards, when your best chance is a kid who’s barely played 20 games it sums things up doesn’t it?

Im confident that this team could avoid relegation from the Championship and perhaps even challenge for promotion, but that’s hardly “world class” is it?

the coach is going to need to be a magician to achieve anything in Russia. The cupboard is bare.

• 2 weeks later...