Melbourne Football

The road to the WC Finals - now 2022

Tesla

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It wouldn't surprise me if FFA looked for an interim appointment to take us through the World Cup and then approached Arnold. It allows Arnold to complete the season with the smurfs

Gallop said the socceroos have a considerable break from now on. This probably means that there won't be too much training and no friendlies, so the interim would most likely be Milicic until the world wide search yields GA.

I'm hoping Bielsa walks or gets sacked from Lille.

Having him for WC would be amazing. 

Frank De Boer maybe as a backup option. 

My main reasoning is that since Ange has come in he has basically created a possession based pro active mentality and to continue it and develop it to a higher level (regardless of the players available argument) a coach from that school of thought would be my preference. 

If we go down the path of a results/pragmatic to get through the cup it could create more problems long term. 

The big question will be not who gets appointed more so who will actually make the decision. 

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

My main reasoning is that since Ange has come in he has basically created a possession based pro active mentality and to continue it and develop it to a higher level (regardless of the players available argument) a coach from that school of thought would be my preference. 

If we go down the path of a results/pragmatic to get through the cup it could create more problems long term. 

The big question will be not who gets appointed more so who will actually make the decision. 

Did someone say Bielsa? I'm tumescent.

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think the budget for the appointment is more likely to extend to members of this forum.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2017 at 6:39 PM, Shahanga said:

I think the budget for the appointment is more likely to extend to members of this forum.

Lol, not so sure TBH. Any short term / World Cup only contact will be heavily performance orientated. Some European coaches might be available

The main concern if any is the impact of a FIFA normalising committee. That will direct the long term appointment approach 

We have time either way at least

Edited by mattyh001

7 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Denmark, France, Peru. Happy with this. First game against France will be nice to get it out the way, hopefully they don't rip our confidence. I see us beating or drawing Denmark, we can clean up Peru and exact revenge for the NZers. 

Denmark fisted Poland 4-0 (but lost 3-2 in the return leg) at home and raped ireland in the play-offs, they seem to be a really good team when they turn up 100%, but looks like they frequently go 'off' and have unbalanced chemistry and lack of momentum in some fixtures. Hopefully they don't all turn up against australia 

France is obviously going to be tough but Germany, Argentina or Brazil would have been way worse, Peru is an amazing outcome and Denmark is decent but not unbeatable (especially if Eriksen doesn't turn up)

I think we got the 3rd easiest group tbh, so there's every chance to progress if we get the right manager in.

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

France and Peru are a decent result, but imo the Danes were the worst team we could draw in the third pot.

Not a group of death by any means, but certainly not an easy group either.

Don't forget all these teams will be playing 'away'. Away form is better indication of form

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

France and Peru are a decent result, but imo the Danes were the worst team we could draw in the third pot.

Not a group of death by any means, but certainly not an easy group either.

Couldn't agree more - it could be argued that the three European teams in pot 3 were always going to make things tough (particularly in comparison to the African teams). Denmark is going to tougher than some realize, with the comp held in a northern hemisphere summer conditions and all

Thankfully we missed a Brazil / Spain combo from pots 1 & 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Bert van marwijk officially announced as our coach

Thoughts?

performed wonders with the Saudis I thought and is very experienced.

His CV is a bit more than the journeyman level that we saw from verbeek and Osiek, thankfully. So it seems we’ve done reasonably.

I was hoping for Arnold (though the change in style from Ange was a big problem). All the keyboard warriors who don’t rate Arnold overlook 1) how much he’s lesrnt since his last stint 2) forget that he was made “acting” coach in charge of some huge egos. He was never going to be able to manage that side unless he was given the job permanently. In Thailand he needed to drop half the big names who weren’t acclimatised but didn’t have the strength in his position to do it.

3) allow their hate of Sydney to influence them.

Anyway none of that really matters now does it? Bert’s the man. Let’s see how he goes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Thoughts?

His CV is a bit more than the journeyman level that we saw from verbeek and Osiek, thankfully. So it seems we’ve done reasonably.

I was hoping for Arnold (though the change in style from Ange was a big problem). All the keyboard warriors who don’t rate Arnold overlook 1) how much he’s lesrnt since his last stint 2) forget that he was made “acting” coach in charge of some huge egos. He was never going to be able to manage that side unless he was given the job permanently. In Thailand he needed to drop half the big names who weren’t acclimatised but didn’t have the strength in his position to do it.

Anyway none of that really matters now does it? Bert’s the man. Let’s see how he goes.

Probably 3 is the main reason for most of the haters tbh.

Van Marwijk is a good result all things considered i think.

I full y expect Arnie to take charge after the WC though and lead us for the next four years, which is pretty ideal imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Thoughts?

Personally I think it's a great appointment. I wasn't really getting my hopes up about who would take charge so i was pleasantly surprised when I heard the news. I think this has potential to work out really well

Best we could afford. Did well with the Saudis, good appointment ( could have been done a while ago, what negotiations were FFA having??)

Im laughing at the people who are angry that we didnt sign Del Bosque, Mancini, Van Gaal etc.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, haz said:

Best we could afford. Did well with the Saudis, good appointment ( could have been done a while ago, what negotiations were FFA having??)

Im laughing at the people who are angry that we didnt sign Del Bosque, Mancini, Van Gaal etc.

Experts at spending (non existent) money of others.

Tournament coaches are different from qualification coaches. He's certainly a good qualification coach (opposite of Ange who is a better tournament coach). My only reservation is that, having established a style of play, can this coach continue with, and build on what has been started by Ange or will we change direction again? It would be sad if we lost our momentum