Melbourne Football

The road to the WC Finals - now 2022

Tesla

Pretty nervous now.

If we are good enough we'll go through, the stage is set for that, but as we've seen a lack of goal scoring ability is making it very difficult. 

If the only the bloody Kiwis had held firm in 1901, then we'd have Chris Wood up front and "all our problems would be solved".

Edited by Shahanga
White space

FFS, we dominated the midfield in Honduras and Ange decides we need to bring Milligan and Rogic. Luongo is much neater on the ball than Milligan and doesn't blast the ball into the stands whenever it comes to him outside the box and Irvine has the energy to get up and down for 90 minutes and has a defensive game unlike Rogic.

Worries me when we make unnecessary changes particularly in the midfield where we finally looked relatively well balanced in the away leg.

Ange needs to find a midfield that works and stick to it if we're going to be competetive in Russia, personally think Jedinak - Mooy - Luongo - Irvine is our best bet with Irvine getting forward to support Juric/Cahill.

Only other position that isn't locked in is RCB, on current form I'd like to see Rhys Williams given a crack if he can stay injury free. Suits Anges style perfectly and is comfortable carrying the ball out of defence, which Bailey Wright isn't.

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Ange needs to find a midfield that works and stick to it if we're going to be competetive in Russia, personally think Jedinak - Mooy - Luongo - Irvine is our best bet with Irvine getting forward to support Juric/Cahill.

Only other position that isn't locked in is RCB, on current form I'd like to see Rhys Williams given a crack if he can stay injury free. Suits Anges style perfectly and is comfortable carrying the ball out of defence, which Bailey Wright isn't.

Williams is a bit prone to brain fades, gotta be Alex Wilkinson for me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga Not so worried now about the referee...or goals from open play, eh?

Was I worried about the ref, can't remember posting that?

Games like that you just have to win so a goal is a goal but yes I do have some concerns for the World Cup due to our reliance on pens for goals in the last 12 months. Anyway that's a problem for another day. 

Edited by Shahanga
Punctuation

11 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Who woulda thought that when Aziz missed his goal for the visit0rs in the Grand Final against the smurfs, that rather than sink into obscurity of NPL as the visit0rs hoped for him (as if Muscat missing the penalty didn't cost them the game), he would be playing in a World Cup qualifying team for the Socceroos:tooth:

Not me. That's for sure!

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Was I worried about the ref, can't remember posting that?

Games like that you just have to win so a goal is a goal but yes I do have some concerns for the World Cup due to our reliance on pens for goals in the last 12 months. Anyway that's a problem for another day. 

@Shahanga Mea culpa and humble grovellings. It was someone else. Your post was the one underneath it.

Great rating for the game on 9 free to air.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/morning-report-november-16#TV

Top 10 shows on Wednesday night FTA

1. Socceroos – World Cup Qualifiers Nine 1,160,000
  2. Seven News Seven 955,000
  3. Seven News / Today Tonight Seven 908,000
  4. Nine News Nine 892,000
  5. Nine News 6:30 Nine 847,000
  6. ABC News ABC 746,000
  7. Gruen ABC 718,000
  8. Home And Away Seven 626,000
  9. A Current Affair Nine 600,000
  10. Hard Quiz ABC 598,000

Top 10 on subscription TV

1. Live: Football: WCQ: Socceroos v Hon 2 FOX SPORTS 501 1 328,000
  2. Live: Football: WCQ Post Game FOX SPORTS 501 1 219,000
  3. Gogglebox Australia LifeStyle Channel 177,000
  4. Live: Football: WCQ Pre Game FOX SPORTS 501 119,000
  5. Love It Or List It Australia LifeStyle Channel 112,000
  6. One On One With Jelena Dokic FOX SPORTS 501 74,000
  7. PML Overtime SKY NEWS LIVE 56,000
  8. Paul Murray Live SKY NEWS LIVE 53,000
  9. The Flash FOX8 49,000
  10. House TVH!TS 45,000
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I’ll be seriously pissed off if that Kent Ange doesn’t go on and take us to Russia. After all his talk about “it’s not about qualifying, it’s about doing something when you get there”.  Back it up son. Ignore the mosquitos.

My take is he will announce his intentions after the draw and after the FFA are replaced by the normalization committee. If we get another group of death he will walk or of the new committee is problematic he will walk. 

But I agree after all he has talked he should at least take them there. IMO he has been the best "Australian" coach and this latest fiasco has really tarnished his persona.