Melbourne Football

The road to the WC Finals - now 2022

Tesla

Interesting stat i found on 442. Didnt know our home record in World Cup Qualifying was so good tbh:

Australia's last loss in a competitive World Cup Qualifier played in Australia came in May 1981 against New Zealand. Since then Australia has a record of 43 wins, 8 draws and 1 loss in World Cup qualifiers played at home.
The one loss was against China in a meaningless dead-rubber game, when Australia had already qualified for the next round with a game to spare and put the Olyroos out for a warm-up game prior to the Beijing Olympics. 
This includes matches against Argentina, Uruguay, Iran, Japan, Scotland, Israel and Canada, as well as smaller OFC and AFC nations.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bt50 said:

Interesting stat i found on 442. Didnt know our home record in World Cup Qualifying was so good tbh:

Australia's last loss in a competitive World Cup Qualifier played in Australia came in May 1981 against New Zealand. Since then Australia has a record of 43 wins, 8 draws and 1 loss in World Cup qualifiers played at home.
The one loss was against China in a meaningless dead-rubber game, when Australia had already qualified for the next round with a game to spare and put the Olyroos out for a warm-up game prior to the Beijing Olympics. 
This includes matches against Argentina, Uruguay, Iran, Japan, Scotland, Israel and Canada, as well as smaller OFC and AFC nations.

"Murfyesque" post @bt50.  Now that is a FORTRESS.  I had no idea.

A couple of points:

• Its worth noting for the younguns on here that unlike now, the Scotland of 1985/86 was actually a quality side.
  •  Maradona himself turned out for Argentina in 1993.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Nate said:

Mooy's been trash all game and then boom, perf corner to Sainsbury

Saudis are quality though, I'd be happy with the point away at this stage. 

Dunno about trash, but yeh not as dominant as usual. Rogic clearly the best man on the pitch in the first half.

Just now, bt50 said:

Dunno about trash, but yeh not as dominant as usual. Rogic clearly the best man on the pitch in the first half.

trash by his lofty standards at least for the initial 20-30 minutes, it was his man that scored the Saudis' goal (even though it was a silky af goal) and was dispossessed several times.

Jedinak looks like he's really low on confidence but I think his leadership qualities makes up for his sloppiness in high-pressure away matches like these. But don't even get me started on Kruse haha, I can't understand how he starts so regularly since his final delivery is always hopeless

• Like 1

Leckie lacks composure too but at least he's got pace and a bitta cunt about him, and as we just saw before he can create chances out of nothing. 

All Kruse can really do is draw a foul but 90% of the time, he hits an underwhelming cross that goes nowhere. I guess the problem is I'm not sure who starts on the right wing ahead of him

On 08/09/2016 at 9:40 AM, bt50 said:

Sorry to dig up an old post. I was telling someone about this stat and found this post for clarification. 

So technically the stat is incorrect because we have had one loss since 1981? Is that right or have i misread it? Still a great record but just want fo be sure

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

They are sitting back and harassing us. Boys struggling to cope with the attention. We need to find a way, quick smart 

Yes. Japan happy to let us come at them and are handling it very well when we try. There have been a few signs they may crack though