Melbourne Football

Music Before the Game - Your Thoughts???

daniboi

Just following from the Derby on the weekend, I think the drumming of 'Paradise City' at 1,001 decibels kills the natural, organic development of the atmosphere. The Yarraside do an awesome job of getting the pulse racing and the music (especially at that level) just kills it.

For the record, I went to the Guns and Roses concert at Calder Park in the mid 90s so I'm certainly not against the band.

Thoughts anyone? Is it a long term pre-game strategy by the club and/or AAMI Park?

Just following from the Derby on the weekend, I think the drumming of 'Paradise City' at 1,001 decibels kills the natural, organic development of the atmosphere. The Yarraside do an awesome job of getting the pulse racing and the music (especially at that level) just kills it.

For the record, I went to the Guns and Roses concert at Calder Park in the mid 90s so I'm certainly not against the band.

Thoughts anyone? Is it a long term pre-game strategy by the club and/or AAMI Park?

There have been various comments made to the FFA about pre-game and intra-game music precisely along the lines you raise. Too loud, too intrusive, etc. One comment on the FFA web-site said 'The only music needed at football is the crowd.' I made a comment about the volume last year, to be told by AAMI Park that the bigger the crowd the more the volume is turned up. I suspect the whole thing is driven by the FFA who think that we need "atmosphere."

Edited by jw1739

Theoretically, I agree with you 100%.

But I must admit, I can't help enjoying hearing Paradise City. A part of me loves the occasional '80's hair rock anthem. But that's just me.

What I really can't stand is ground announcers shouting into a microphone saying something like 'Come on Heart fans, make some noise!' Just piss off FFS.

Can't say I'm a fan of the music, but Im usually busy chatting/drinking before the game to really take notice.

Not sure if there are any ex-Glory supporters out there like myself, but nothing beat the old days with Steve Armstrong singing the Glory theme live before the game, the guy was charismatic as you could get and you couldnt help but sing along with him, it helped create a real carnival type atmosphere at the ground. It made it a complete package of the day, and I have no doubt the pre and half time entertainment contributed to the early success of 20,000 size crowds to the games.

Edited by hedaik1