Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

• 1 year later...
42 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Wifebeaters play in navy blue.

Next.

I'd like to think that we're big enough and strong enough to give someone a second chance. Have you never made a mistake? Because I have. Can we not be forgiving? IMO Harry coming back is just the kind of human appeal this club needs to show that we're more than just a "brand."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd like to think that we're big enough and strong enough to give someone a second chance. Have you never made a mistake, because I have. Can we not be forgiving? IMO Harry coming back is just the kind of human appeal this club needs to show that we're more than just a "brand."

I have absolutely made a mistake, many. Have I ever made a mistake that bad? Absolutely not. I appreciate your point of view but I see it differently. I think sports clubs (and more or less society if you really want to get into it) have to draw the line somewhere. Violence against women, City says no (Victory say its fine as long as you score a lot of goals).

I also think in this instance we must remember, it's not our mistake to forgive.

Edited by IssySG
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, IssySG said:

I have absolutely made a mistake, many. Have I ever made a mistake that bad? Absolutely not. I appreciate your point of view but I see it differently. I think sports clubs (and more or less society if you really want to get into it) have to draw the line somewhere. Violence against women, City says no (Victory say its fine as long as you score a lot of goals).

I also think in this instance we must remember, it's not our mistake to forgive.

As an aside to these extremely relevant points, i really can't see Joyce putting up with Harry's shit tbh. It would take a dramatic shift in attitude on Harry's behalf to put himself back in the frame here. 

• Like 4

I was told Harry was unrepentant over the whole event and didn't see why it was even a notable issue. Not only that but he was apparently constantly late to training and wanted a considerable pay-rise despite his behaviour. I don't have an issue with them letting him go, regardless of ability.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Embee said:

I was told Harry was unrepentant over the whole event and didn't see why it was even a notable issue. Not only that but he was apparently constantly late to training and wanted a considerable pay-rise despite his behaviour. I don't have an issue with them letting him go, regardless of ability.

To add to this he was also pretty divisive between the playing group

4 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I don’t understand, we have this but she’s still with him 3-ish years on.

:droy:

Yes, because there's never been any relationship that's continued after instances of domestic abuse, regardless of levels of severity.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Embee said:

:droy:

Yes, because there's never been any relationship that's continued after instances of domestic abuse, regardless of levels of severity.

No, but they took it to court. That’s the point. Was he punished or not? All I recall was the club releasing him due to bad publicity. Not even a restraining order

4 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

No, but they took it to court. That’s the point. Was he punished or not? All I recall was the club releasing him due to bad publicity. Not even a restraining order

It was taken to court in every single incident ever?

You're reaching. The incident happened and it was definitely physical.

Edited by Embee

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Would u consider John Terry 

Him and Bart can go on Tinder double dates!

That being said as much as I like JT I think positionally him and BS both play in the same spot (being the deeper "marshalling" CB). Delbridge, imo, is also similar in this respect.

We need a "stopper" style CB i.e. a better Malik.

• Like 1

Thought long and hard before replying as matrimonial violence and forgiving is a very sensitive topic.

I remember Glenn Hoddle's decision to give Gazza another chance. A chance to establish a good character while accepting counselling to help him overcome his problems. At the time this was seen by some as a most refreshing, compassionate and understanding. It was done to help the man overcome his problems while refusing to condone the player's violent behaviour off the field. Critics warned of the danger of Gazza becoming a role model and thus reinforcing the behaviour of men who beat women. The reply was, he may become a role model for those whose behaviour is unacceptable but who recognise that they have a problem and seek help.

There is an argument which states: Is there is a point where excellence and viewer appeal supersedes misbehaviour. It could be argued. Sports stars are ill-equipped to set ethical examples for others. They are in a position of public scrutiny outside of sport by default. So let them play

I see sports stars are not just role models, they have a responsibility to lead people down the right path in life; lead by example and they should be held to higher standards. Some may say they are just ordinary people, as prone to making mistakes as the rest of the world. But I believe sports stars are not normal, by virtue of the extraordinary talents they possess. Like it or not, that gift of talent has to come with a sacrifice. Sports stars can and do lead society because they are celebrities and they have the power to influence young and old.

Me as you may have guessed, I am old school. Sports stars are in positions of public scrutiny and are role models by default and yes they have the same character flaws as people in everyday life. But whether we tolerate those flaws is another matter entirely. Sport is a way of life. It is at the heart of our identity and therefore, whither they want to be or do not want to be, sports stars become life role models. Therefore I cannot forgive and forget.

Edited by Inchcolm
  • Like 4

Just like Ross its a mute discussion its virtually impossible for Novillo to return. 

There firstly isn't any room in the front third for him unless we get rid of 1 or 2 new signings. 

Secondly he would have to take the available Marquee spot and after the club originally were not prepared to pay him inflated wages I can't see them doing it now.

Thirdly and this is soley my own opinion Novillo is almost the perfect example of a player Wazza dislikes and I can't see him signing off on Novillo. 

So even before the club enters the ethical discussion on character there are several major road blocks.

So I can't see Harry Novillo ever returning to play for us.

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

With all due respect, your post is the biggest load of crap I have ever read and because of it I need to go to a doctor and get my eyes flushed.

Thank you for your eloquent reply. Could you please elaborate what part of it, in your opinion was the biggest load of crap?

Was it the forgiving of a player who admits he commits domestic violence and seeks help?

Was it that that a team should sign offenders of domestic violence because they are excellent players and their criminal history is of no significance?

Was it that you do not believe that sports stars are role models for the young and have the power to influence their behaviour?

Was it you do not believe players are revered on the terraces by young and old?

Or was it that sports stars are more accountable for their actions as they public people?

• Like 1