Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

1 hour ago, The Aardvark said:

I'm with you on that. I think we can and need to do better with that spot.

As for the missing a final because of a lack of control, Berisha's hot temper has not hurt his ability to be a marquee, even this year he only played finals through dumb luck.

That is true about Berisha, but he has banged in a lot more goals than Harry has. If Bruno missed a few games because of issues but still banged in 20+ goals then I would still say he is a worthy marquee.

6 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

what issues?  He doesn't defend from the front, Ok, a lot of other front men don't either.  He got involved in a half time kick and shove- meh we see far worse than that on the pitch that actually connect, week in week out.  

Off field.  No-one here knows what happened.  No evidence that he hit his partner, no charges laid.  Guilty in the Court of Public opinion.

To me it's less about what he did, and more about the fact that it lead to him missing 2 games. The second suspension I think we could have really used him over in Adelaide, and we all know what happened that night.

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Good God man. Football is a team sport and he at times hasn't been the team player when defending. Our team defend from the front, so this is an 'issue' for our team. He might not have to do this with another team but for us we needed him to defend to suit our style.

Our defending is 90% a JVS problem.  Think through the all the Benny Hill goals going back to season 1.

Off field he was reported of having police come to an incident he was involved in at a bar, then there's the domestic disturbance and there's his lack of punctuality with attending training sessions on time.

I only read about the domestic.

Footballer involved in bar incident..thats never happened before?

I hate latecomers so I'll give you that one.

My point is he wasn't a model professional by any stretch of the imagination. But his ability to be one of the best players in the league is evident. 

I agree that he is an emotional person. And not someone who will conform.  But professionalism takes on many facets.  When I think of some of the insipid CBF'ed match day performances from Heart/City players who no doubt all were at training on time during the week, I'm not gonna hold it against a guy as you said that has scored and assisted like he has.

10 minutes ago, mandangalo said:

To me it's less about what he did, and more about the fact that it lead to him missing 2 games.

Much of hat was the club being in damage control for bad publicity, 2 weeks was IMO excessive- 1 wk off and another weeks pay would have been fair IMO.

And the mellee 2 week suspensions was OTT.

10 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Our defending is 90% a JVS problem.  Think through the all the Benny Hill goals going back to season 1.

I only read about the domestic.

Footballer involved in bar incident..thats never happened before?

I hate latecomers so I'll give you that one.

I agree that he is an emotional person. And not someone who will conform.  But professionalism takes on many facets.  When I think of some of the insipid CBF'ed match day performances from Heart/City players who no doubt all were at training on time during the week, I'm not gonna hold it against a guy as you said that has scored and assisted like he has.

We're probably saying the same thing, in that we're both happy if Harry remains at the club simply because he's proved to be so effective scoring and assisting goals. 

What I will say on a couple of your points is, firstly, JVS is definitely responsible for how we defend. But players shouldn't pick and choose when they defend. Unfortunately Harry would, which is an on field issue. 

Secondly im not interested in how many other footballers have been involved in bar incidents in the past. What others have done, past or present, is irrelevant to the impact it has on Melbourne City.  

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Txiki Begiristain, 23rd January 2014, on the CFG criteria for a marquee player:

"It's not about the names, it's about the player. We don't need a big name, we need a big player and a big player will develop into a big name. He has to add something more than a name. Commitment with the group and the football in Australia, experience to teach the players and help the coach."  

Novillo does not meet the more general requirements for a CFG marquee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Txiki Begiristain, 23rd January 2014, on the CFG criteria for a marquee player:

"It's not about the names, it's about the player. We don't need a big name, we need a big player and a big player will develop into a big name. He has to add something more than a name. Commitment with the group and the football in Australia, experience to teach the players and help the coach."  

Novillo does not meet the more general requirements for a CFG marquee.

Agree, I would never want him as a marquee. 

This debate is pointless.

We shouldn't, and we won't, offer him a marquee deal. Plain and simple.

Now if he was out of contract he certainly could go to Newcastle or w/e and get the marquee deal he wants, but he isn't good enough to be a marquee at Melbourne City.

But that's not happening, the club have said they want a transfer fee (according to Novillo's unprofessional outburst), so that rules out him moving to another A-League club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Now if he was out of contract he certainly could go to Newcastle or w/e and get the marquee deal he wants, but he isn't good enough to be a marquee at Melbourne City.

But that's not happening, the club have said they want a transfer fee (according to Novillo's unprofessional outburst), so that rules out him moving to another A-League club.

Exactly. 

So unless another club wants him and is prepared to pay a transfer or he retires or if the club pays him out he will be playing for us for next season. 

Edited by Jovan

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Can't he be put on a performance based contract with an out clause for the club?

I think that all players here have to be on a standard contract as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiated with the PFA. Remember Vince Grella? He wanted a "no play, no pay" contract to see whether he could get his body right, but had to sign a standard contract and receive the minimum wage; he offset that by buying a corporate box from Heart so that his net cost to the club was nil.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Exactly. 

So unless another club wants him and is prepared to pay a transfer or he retires he will be playing for us for next season. 

That I'm not so sure of. Seems that the relationship between player and club is pretty bad and he will be moved on. The question is whether we will be able to get the transfer fee we want. I think we will, even if he went to a second division French team, it just wouldn't be a lot (and is most likely a matter of principle rather than us wanting a transfer fee purely for the money).

4 minutes ago, Tesla said:

That I'm not so sure of. Seems that the relationship between player and club is pretty bad and he will be moved on. The question is whether we will be able to get the transfer fee we want. I think we will, even if he went to a second division French team, it just wouldn't be a lot (and is most likely a matter of principle rather than us wanting a transfer fee purely for the money).

I don't know about the relationship being that toxic between him and the club. 

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think that all players here have to be on a standard contract as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiated with the PFA. Remember Vince Grella? He wanted a "no play, no pay" contract to see whether he could get his body right, but had to sign a standard contract and receive the minimum wage; he offset that by buying a corporate box from Heart so that his net cost to the club was nil.

I think that the standard contract must have some flexibility or that a contract must have at least the conditions stipulated in the standard contract. Otherwise people like ADP would not have been able to include a whole host of other conditions in their contract. So there may be a possibility for greater performance based (but not 100%) contract.

14 hours ago, Tesla said:

Maybe I missed it but I don't think anyone was suggesting we sign him on a marquee deal. The discussion was whether we should keep him at all or replace him under his current contract. That was my point anyway. 

Edited by n i k o

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Maybe I missed it but I don't think anyone was suggesting we sign him on a marquee deal. The discussion was whether we should keep him at all or replace him under his current contract. That was my point anyway. 

It was Harry going public with his opinion that not being a marquee didn't fit with his career ambitions (something like that) that prompted the marquee discussions.

15 hours ago, Jovan said:

I don't know about the relationship being that toxic between him and the club. 

The fact he has gone public with all this highlights that the relationship can't be great, and him going public will only make it worse.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I cbf reading the article again but didn't he say he would only stay in the A-league on a marquee deal? Granted he has a contract and we could force him to stay but given his attitude and behaviour wasn't the best to begin with, I can only imagine what he'll be like if he is forced to stay.

I reckon the club will try and make an example of him though and only let him go for a transfer fee, even if it is only a small one.

The relevant bits:

The 24-year-old, who was on Thursday named as a starting 11 player in the PFA's team of the season also revealed he may have played his last game for Melbourne City.

Novillo, who has one year left on his contract, would prefer to return to Europe to be closer to his family.

He also said that if he did return to Australia he would want a salary hike or perhaps a marquee spot, hinting that he would be prepared to move to another club if they made him one of their marquee men.

I do love Australia. It's unbelievable here, but then its up to the club, me personally ... staying in the salary cap is not an objective for my personal career.

I have no problem with the club at all. But maybe this country is a bit too far for me and I have to think about it if I want to come back next season.

I played only 20 games this season. Its not a full season, its 20 out of 27... but in 20 games if you look at the other marquees from the other clubs only [Besart] Berisha did more than me.

"If I look at the stats, 20 games, 10 goals, six assists ... I am involved in 16 goals in the season, that can make the difference in the season.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-harry-novillo-says-he-never-assaulted-girlfriend-hints-at-move-back-to-france-20160428-gohhnm

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

The relevant bits:

The 24-year-old, who was on Thursday named as a starting 11 player in the PFA's team of the season also revealed he may have played his last game for Melbourne City.

Novillo, who has one year left on his contract, would prefer to return to Europe to be closer to his family.

He also said that if he did return to Australia he would want a salary hike or perhaps a marquee spot, hinting that he would be prepared to move to another club if they made him one of their marquee men.

I do love Australia. It's unbelievable here, but then its up to the club, me personally ... staying in the salary cap is not an objective for my personal career.

I have no problem with the club at all. But maybe this country is a bit too far for me and I have to think about it if I want to come back next season.

I played only 20 games this season. Its not a full season, its 20 out of 27... but in 20 games if you look at the other marquees from the other clubs only [Besart] Berisha did more than me.

"If I look at the stats, 20 games, 10 goals, six assists ... I am involved in 16 goals in the season, that can make the difference in the season.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-harry-novillo-says-he-never-assaulted-girlfriend-hints-at-move-back-to-france-20160428-gohhnm

•  

Hard to see him staying after reading that.

• 1 month later...

Anyone speak Turkish? Turkish media suggesting that Turkish 2nd division side Manisaspor is interested in Novillo [Google translate]:

PTT 1st League Manisaspor in 18 of the new management team will go to the general assembly in June, provided the internal transfer ending contracts Hope Yasin Arslan Hakan and Turan deal.

Two players in Manisaspor scored 2'şer annual signature. Manisa May 19 Stadium held at the clubhouse of the signature ceremony President Abdullah Mergen and Member of the Board Muzaffer Carnivorous also attended. 

Two players said they were happy to be staying in Manisa. On the other hand, the black and white of the Australian League team that plays in the Melbourne City f.c learned that met with French footballer Harry Novillo. And wings can be served in the middle of the 24-year-old is expected to sign the players. Altınordul Berkay Samancı and Keçiörengücül the list's Erkan Taşkıran.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/manisasporda-umit-ve-hakan-imzaladi-40113182

Edited by Murfy1

The google translate was pretty much spot on. The article states that the club has met with Novillo and it is expected that he'll sign with them...

Now, why would he want to go to a 2nd tier Turkish side?! Surely they're not gonna offer him more money than he can get here.

• Like 1

How can he sign with another club if he's under contract to us unless that club pays a transfer fee? Except perhaps we're happy to release him for free given what happened last season?

Another version:
PTT 1. League 'also aims to become an ambitious team with the 2016-2017 season Manisaspor has found its star name in Australia. Greek 1.League team to Suriname from Panaitolikos Kappel'l agreed Leandro black-and-whites, the Australian League team playing in Melbourne City f.c learned that met with French footballer Harry Novillo. And wings can be served in the middle of the 24-year-old is expected to sign the players. Novillo, Lyon II, Lyon, Le Havre, Le Havre II, Ajaccio, Mons, Clermont, Clermont II, Melbourne City wearing team jerseys Novillo, scored 35 goals in 129 matches. Novillo, France has also served in the U-17 and U-19 teams.

http://www.sabah.com.tr/egeli/2016/06/05/manisaya-fransiz-yildiz

Edited by jw1739

Precise translation of relevant bit: "On the other hand, it has been learnt that Manisaspors' Australian (scouting) team has met with Melbourne City's French player Harry Novillo. The 24 year old midfielder and winger is waiting to be signed."

Weird as fuck news, Manisaspor is worse than Melbourne City and isn't as prestigious.

Would be real disappointing if Melbourne City sold Novillo (and it is correct that Novillo couldn't leave just if he wanted to; another club would have to offer a fee and Melb City would have to agree to it). Signing another 10 goals a season forward inside the cap certainly wouldn't be easy.

Also like him or loathe him as a person, I know people who primarily started going to games just to watch him (they eventually started appreciating Fornaroli and Mooy as well). Is Melbourne City confident that it can unearth another very exciting player with x-factor inside the cap that can increase crowds at Melbourne City games?

Unfortunately this off-season is turning into another huge re-build. Around 10 or so signings will be needed, including 5 or so starters, and 1 marquee. No more mistakes (Koren, Joshua Kennedy, Aaron Hughes), especially with you-know-who as coach CFG need to essentially make every signing for next season a success.

Edited by Murfy1

1 minute ago, jeffplz said:

Weird as fuck news, Manisaspor is worse than Melbourne City and isn't as prestigious.

Do they have money though? A rich owner bankrolling them perhaps?

It is weird that he'd go to the second division in Turkey TBH.

1 minute ago, Tesla said:

Do they have money though? A rich owner bankrolling them perhaps?

It is weird that he'd go to the second division in Turkey TBH.

They aren't known to be rich. Plus, they're actually in the Third division. In Turkey it's Super Lig > TFF 1. Lig > TFF 2. Lig

6 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

They aren't known to be rich. Plus, they're actually in the Third division. In Turkey it's Super Lig > TFF 1. Lig > TFF 2. Lig

Surely the third tier is mostly semi-pro? So even if they have money why would they spend so much on one player?

Very strange.

I'm calling BS, that can't be anything but semi-pro level, and Novillo has an ego he isn't about to drop down that low plus no one in their right mind is spending the money Novillo would want in wages in the third tier (though there are a few crazy owners in turkey it seems, so you never know).

Are they even allowed foreign players in the third tier? 

This is surely BS.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Surely the third tier is mostly semi-pro? So even if they have money why would they spend so much on one player?

Very strange.

No explanation, he probably wants in to Europe ASAP. Hume City are wealthier.

Just saw that Manisaspor got promoted this season. They're in the second division by next. 

Edited by jeffplz

[Google Translate]:

Manisaspor Transfer Work in Progress

June 6, 2016

PTT 1st League team Manisaspor while the hazırlanık congress will be held on June 18-25, on the other hand transfer work continues.
PTT 1st League team Manisaspor while the hazırlanık congress will be held on June 18-25, on the other hand transfer work continues. Across from Karşıyaka halfback Mustafa, Cindy Samancı in the same position the Golden Horde, Alanyaspor from left defense Kerem Can Akyüz'l in principle shaking hands and official pending the lifting of the ban transfers to sign Manisaspor'da Australia Melbourne City team in midfield, left can function on the wing and forward end 24-year-old French national, is the final point in talks with Harry Novillo it said.

Coach Mehmet Altıparmak management Berk, Nuri Wars, Bahattin, Metin Yüksel asked Timur keeper Bayram kept to the absolute frame. says a hasty transfer act, or not President Abdullah Mergen, "The market is very high. Last season transfer rates as we do when it comes to the level we want," he said. Congress prior to the emergence of yet another candidate's potential Manisaspor'da Mergen names from the June 9 Manisa Metropolitan expects the Congress after the election claimed they acted.

http://www.arti49.com/manisasporda-transfer-calismalari-suruyor-484355h.htm

I'll be disappointed if he leaves, but not really shocked.  Its pretty clear Harry's issues have nothing to do with his playing ability.

I mean the Turkish 2nd division?  seriously?  if he makes that move he's not far from the end of the road, regardless of talent.

One thing I will say, he is one bloke you wouldn't want around if he didn't want to be there.  If he was capable of carrying on like a professional when he was unhappy, he never would have come to Melbourne in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Manisaspor average league attendance last season when they won the 2 League: 147.

In the previous year when they were relegated from the 1 League: 1,351.

A reasonable prediction I can make is that Harry's looking to do what Holosko surprisingly did when he was ~23-25 years old -- he transferred to Manisaspor and managed to break into Besiktas' first team after just 2 years. Low attendance is affecting the entirety of Turkey, even the giant clubs, due to the expensive Passolig system, where every person attending a match is to use a sort of membership card with identification on it. It's the government's way of controlling hooliganism.

Reports emerging that Novillo will sign with Slask Wroclaw, a club in Poland's top division [Google Translate]:

Harry Novillo will be a new player Slask Wroclaw?

Piotr Janas, James Guder

June 8, 2016

Harry Novillo - former youth representative of France - is likely to become a new player Slask Wroclaw. According to our information, that Wroclaw is Sunday. Today, 24-year-old is to undergo medical tests in the clinic of Dr. Andrew Czamary.

Striker Harry Novillo is a graduate of the famous football academy Lyon. There began his career as a junior and shot a lot of goals. But scored only two cameo appearances in Ligue 1. After rent, she was among for AC Le Havre and Ajaccio GFC and spent last season in Australia. Playing for Melbourne City (Manchester City branch in Australia - ed. PJ) scored 9 goals and made 4 assists in 21 appearances. As for 24-year-old is a pretty good statistic. 

He has also 9 appearances in the French the youth (two matches in the U-17 and two U-19) and scored two goals. As a senior, however, he decided to play for Martinique, from which his ancestors. Despite advanced talks need to wait until all the papers are signed. Just yesterday, the Turkish media reported that the Novillo advanced talks leads Manisaspor. And once this year, WCS was almost in hand striker, who went for a few days and never came back ...

http://www.gazetawroclawska.pl/sport/pilka-nozna/slask-wroclaw/a/harry-novillo-bedzie-nowym-pilkarzem-slaska-wroclaw,10086454/