Melbourne Football

Travel.... Interstate and Overseas.

HeartinHobart

Do you no what country's your going to tomby?

England, Scotland (got family there), France, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Spain.

Really want to go to Switzerland aswell but not too sure yet, will be a decision I make when I'm over there.

England, Scotland (got family there), France, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Spain.

Really want to go to Switzerland aswell but not too sure yet, will be a decision I make when I'm over there.

Cinque Terre in Italy & Seville in Spain would be my two less obvious must sees from those countries. 

Switzerland is nice, but its a pretty normal country with nothing Id say thats worth going out of your way for. When I was there I went to the Zurich Street Party and stayed in the Alps which was pretty awesome.

I will never step foot inside France again, horrific experience. Germany is beaut but I found it expensive compared to the other places I visited (Croatia, Spain, Prague, Amsterdam)

Amsterdam my favourite for obvious reasons. Rent a bike as soon as you get there and you are set.

• Like 1

Lack of eastern europe is disturbing. If you get a chance visit Croatia, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Rep. Soooo much cheaper, the girls are hotter and food is better. Ive only been to Poland but I've hand at least half a dozen mates tell me eastern europe shits on rest by quite a height. 

spain: MDMA and paella

Portugal: weed and fortifieds

Holland: weed and coke

England: MDMA and pork pies

Germany: coke and Hefeweizen, copious amounts of meat in every dish

France: wine and cheese

Belgium: coke and abbey ales, wits, Chips and Mayo

Eastern Europe: coke, pilsners, vodka, grappa, women, ajvar

Greece: MDMA , spanakopita

Italy: wine and Salumi

Enjoy my beginners guide to Europe Tomby.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Anyone flown with Royal Brunei? Apparently subsidised by the Brunei government to get people flying to or through Brunei so it should be good value for money, but dunno. What about Alitalia, thought it would be decent cause it's Italian but has shit reviews. In some ways you'd think it makes them not need to do much to get customers just cause they're from a developed country, while an airline from a dodgy country need to work harder and offer more to get customers. Also Garuda Indonesia? Really don't trust an Indonesian airline but apparently they've invested a lot in modernising recently and the bad reviews about them pertain to customer service rather than the actual product on offer.

Just so hard to find reliable reviews since retards complain about shit that's their fault rather than the airlines.

Tempted to just pay more for an airline with a bigger reputation but tbh the airline industry, especially when it comes to international travel, is somewhat exempted from my general belief that you get what you pay for.

What about Qantas? I've always assumed they're shit tbh (by international standards). My only time flying with them was great, but it was just a domestic flight so it obviously seems great compared to a budget airline which is usually how I fly domestic.

Seem to be only a bit more for what I'm looking at but not really sure of they are actually a better service.

Edited by Tesla

What about Qantas? I've always assumed they're shit tbh (by international standards). 

For some reasons a lot of people in Australia seem to have this view about QANTAS international but have rarely if not ever flown with them. I've flown longhaul with them many times and rate it up there with my experiences on Thai, Emirates, Etihad, Singapore and AirFrance etc.

The food is good, the seats/legroom are designed with western bodytypes/shapes in mind (they are still cramped as fuck but fly with South China Airlines and tell me they are shit) and I'm sorry but when you're travelling around the world and shit can go wrong... it's always nice/easy to have somebody who speaks fluent english and shares your western/australian standards of service and reliability. Also helps that the entertainment system is entirely geared towards western audiences so there's lots to watch :up:

PS if you ever get the chance do yourself a favour and fly with Aeroflot. You will very likely die but fuck me the comedy is worth the risk. Never thought I'd see people smoking on a plane in 2013 nek minnit the co-pilot comes outta the dunny doing his belt up and punching a dart. 

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 3

Anyone flown with Royal Brunei?

I flew to the UK with them back in 2000. They were OK. Not great but not horrible either. They dont serve alcohol sadly. About the equivalent of a Virgin flight

Yeah I'd read about the alcohol thing. I can deal with average, but Qantas isnt much more so would do that instead. However, more interested in hearing about Garuda Indonesia cause they're really cheap for the dates I'm looking. Alitalia are cheapest on the other dates but seems like they're shit and just rely on the fact they're from a Western country to get customers.

Anyone flown with Royal Brunei?

I flew to the UK with them back in 2000. They were OK. Not great but not horrible either. They dont serve alcohol sadly. About the equivalent of a Virgin flight

Yeah I'd read about the alcohol thing. I can deal with average, but Qantas isnt much more so would do that instead. However, more interested in hearing about Garuda Indonesia cause they're really cheap for the dates I'm looking. Alitalia are cheapest on the other dates but seems like they're shit and just rely on the fact they're from a Western country to get customers.

Yeah, I would say unless you find a flight thats significantly cheaper than Qantas I would choose Qantas over them

* does anyone else always find themselves having to backspace after the type Qantas because they automatically put a U after anything starting with Q? I just did it again.

Anyone been to the South Pacific before? Going on a cruise in November, just wondering if there's any must-see things to do at the various ports

Each to their own but I don't understand the appeal of cruising. Being isolated to one place at times for numerous days, crammed situations with loading and unloading passengers and then only getting enough hours to get the slightest glimpse at a location.

Not to mention the amount of places which really come alive at night. When generally your back on the ship already departed.

• Like 1

Anyone been to the South Pacific before? Going on a cruise in November, just wondering if there's any must-see things to do at the various ports

Each to their own but I don't understand the appeal of cruising. Being isolated to one place at times for numerous days, crammed situations with loading and unloading passengers and then only getting enough hours to get the slightest glimpse at a location.

Not to mention the amount of places which really come alive at night. When generally your back on the ship already departed. My feelings as well towards a cruise.

Very similar to a train journey.

I would get cabin fever bad but whatever floats your boat

Not to mention the amount of places which really come alive at night. When generally your back on the ship already departed. My feelings as well towards a cruise.

Very similar to a train journey.

I would get cabin fever bad but whatever floats your boat

I think it depends.

Cruises are great if you want to unwind, relax and have a stress-free couple of weeks whilst seeing some nice places whereas I agree, planning your own holiday is better if you want the full travel experience of adventure, culture, exploring etc.

It should also be said that cruises aren't so bad when you're not paying anything for the room either  :lol: I could never do a cruise around Europe though, you'd miss too much

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been to the Philippines? Thinking about heading over later in the year for a few weeks to hop around the islands. Looks a lot less touristy than the rest of S.E Asia and is cheap as chips.

Havent been but really keen on heading to Boracay. Not overally easy getting too though, well, compared to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia anyway.

• 1 month later...

So I'm thinking of doing South America for about 3 months next year, could extend to more. I need to get an idea of how much money to aim for. I've been to India, SEA and Europe so don't mind budget accomodation.

So who has done it? Where is worth going and how much money will I need?

Where did you go in India? Any good?

See some decent flight deals on occasion and it sparks my interest.

Where did you go in India? Any good?

See some decent flight deals on occasion and it sparks my interest.

I went up north, so started in Delhi then went Rajistan (Jaipur and Pushkar), UP (Agra, Lucknow and Varanassi) and across to Kolkata.

It depends what kind of trip you are after. I really liked it but could be hard work at times. Down south is meant to be amazing too, I've seen some stupidly cheap flights from KL to India on air Asia and it's always super tempting.

Anyone been in Europe with Contiki relatively recently? If so what sort of standard are the hostels?

Did in 2010. The hostels were probably the best acommodation you get. Pretty decent.

Shame about the Contiki tour though. Have regretted choosing it over travelling around off my own bat ever since. Would encourage anyone considering one to just organise your own travel. Is obviously more expensive but 100× more enjoyable. And on top of that, you don't waste literally half your time sitting on a bus travelling to your next destination.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 1

Has anyone on here spent much time in Shanghai?

I have spent a little bit of time there in my travels around China.

its quite a westernised city and is getting more expensive. There is actually a lot more technology and English speakers there than in Beijing (thought you may well know that)

the bullet train is pretty sick and I can remember a particularly awesome noodle shop opposite the antique market. I'll fish through my booklet and see what else I got up to.

ps: World Trade Center high rise (or the new taller skyscraper) is a must if possible!

• Like 1

I have spent a little bit of time there in my travels around China.

its quite a westernised city and is getting more expensive. There is actually a lot more technology and English speakers there than in Beijing (thought you may well know that)

the bullet train is pretty sick and I can remember a particularly awesome noodle shop opposite the antique market. I'll fish through my booklet and see what else I got up to.

ps: World Trade Center high rise (or the new taller skyscraper) is a must if possible!

Sweet! Thanks man! Yeah, any info you have please feel free to post or message me.

From what I have seen online it looks like I will be spending a few weeks in a real life Blade Runner! I cant wait!

Did in 2010. The hostels were probably the best acommodation you get. Pretty decent.

Shame about the Contiki tour though. Have regretted choosing it over travelling around off my own bat ever since. Would encourage anyone considering one to just organise your own travel. Is obviously more expensive but 100× more enjoyable. And on top of that, you don't waste literally half your time sitting on a bus travelling to your next destination.

Yeah fair enough, it was certainly tempting to do my own thing but as a full-time broke uni student going overseas for the first time I'd much prefer to do it cheap and let the pros organise it as I get pretty stressed with making my own travel itinery in Australia let alone abroad Not to mention the fact I plan to spend most of the trip fucked off my face so I'd get easily lost. Plus due to the fact I'll be spending the prior two weeks in Kazakhstan I'd rather not have to worry about 1000 different bookings when I'm in a fairly isolated area. Also on that note obviously a long-shot but anyone ever been to Kazakhstan and can tell me what to expect?

Edited by GreenSeater

Contiki tours are what they are. If u dont have the time, patience and knowledge to book this yourself then Contiki is a fine option. Really only gives you a splash of each place but better then nothing. As mentioned, i would avoid tours where locations are spread out. Also, avoiding one night stays are important.

I certainly wouldn't want to be going to Europe to do a tour then heading home as soon as it ends. 
  • Like 1

IMO Contiki is the best place to start, then when you head back you can get a bit more specific etc.

In saying that, if you cant handle the fast paced nature of it, perhaps go on scenic tours or something..

Good place to meet some idiotic South Australians as well...

I found the Queenslanders more annoying with their constant use of 'ay' at the end of each sentence tbh

My brother went on one with a former CCM player (Clearly a two year squaddie) who apparently spent a complete 2 hours at the back of a bus on a European Freeway displaying his nuts to any cars who had the bad fortune to be travelling behind them at the time.

• Like 2

My brother went on one with a former CCM player (Clearly a two year squaddie) who apparently spent a complete 2 hours at the back of a bus on a European Freeway displaying his nuts to any cars who had the bad fortune to be travelling behind them at the time.

Would the the perfect story if the kent got locked up and deported for it.

Would the the perfect story if the kent got locked up and deported for it.

Apparently he was just a full blown alcoholic nutcase from the Central Coast blowing whatever he had left from his playing days... you always seem to meet these Recently Finished Up Sportsman types going way too hard in your travels.