Melbourne Football

Travel.... Interstate and Overseas.

HeartinHobart

Absolutely loved Hobart, I'd probably rate it as my favourite place to visit in Australia. Richmond Gaol and the whole township are great and it goes without saying that Port Arthur is a must see. The tourism guides are great too, we found plenty of stuff to see and do that we had no idea about.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Going to Africa next year around August/September. Will be doing the standard safari thing around Kenya/Tanzania but have the best part of a week left afterwards. Originally the plan was to go to Cape Town for a few days but it seems difficult to get to so Zanzibar looks like where we will end up. Anyone had any experience in these areas or alternate suggestions? Africa is much more expensive than I anticipated. 

21 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

Going to Africa next year around August/September. Will be doing the standard safari thing around Kenya/Tanzania but have the best part of a week left afterwards. Originally the plan was to go to Cape Town for a few days but it seems difficult to get to so Zanzibar looks like where we will end up. Anyone had any experience in these areas or alternate suggestions? Africa is much more expensive than I anticipated. 

1) Malaria Tablets are the most disgusting thing you'll ever take

2) Tanzanian Bush and Zanzibar are great, highly recommended

3) South Africa is a bit dodgy, I wouldn't stay too long in Jo'berg. Does Cape Town have water yet? 

4) Keep extra money to Bribe. Bribing will get into a lot of places.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

So fitness for EBC wasn't an issue in the end and I was completely fine with the altitude. The cold was a bit nastier than expected (water bottles froze in our room over night a few times). It's actually an awesome trip to unwind as it becomes all consuming and you kind of forget about the outside world. 

Saw a fucking tonne of rescue choppers flying up during my 11 days though, so def some failures that I didn't get to witness. 

• Like 5

On 23/12/2019 at 7:30 PM, The Aardvark said:

Namibia - should you get the chance, spectacular country. Can also strongly recommend West Africa, but a bloody long way from Kenya/Tanzania. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience travelling to Scandinavia on a budget, Norway in particular?

Only going to Stockholm and Gothenburg in Sweden first before heading into Norway via Oslo and then flying up to the Lofoten Islands before coming back down through the fjords, mountain hikes etc. to Bergen before flying to the Faroe Islands and then to Iceland where me and my girlfriend are (hopefully) going to hire a camper van. 

Hostels are still exy as fuck so does anyone have any recommendations? Was potentially thinking of wild camping but idk.

12 hours ago, Nate said:

Anyone have any experience travelling to Scandinavia on a budget, Norway in particular?

Only going to Stockholm and Gothenburg in Sweden first before heading into Norway via Oslo and then flying up to the Lofoten Islands before coming back down through the fjords, mountain hikes etc. to Bergen before flying to the Faroe Islands and then to Iceland where me and my girlfriend are (hopefully) going to hire a camper van. 

Hostels are still exy as fuck so does anyone have any recommendations? Was potentially thinking of wild camping but idk.

Have you had a look at Airbnb?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nate said:

Mate of mine did about 20 years ago and he chose camping. He said it was very cold but as long as you are well prepared then its not too bad apparently. Can't speak first hand as I like creature comforts specially at my age.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, haz said:

Have you had a look at Airbnb?

I forgot about Airbnb actually, thanks!

10 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Mate of mine did about 20 years ago and he chose camping. He said it was very cold but as long as you are well prepared then its not too bad apparently. Can't speak first hand as I like creature comforts specially at my age.

I love the cold, should be great then haha. Scandinavia is probably too expensive for a poor 25yo but I wanted to do all the hiking before my shit knees render me unable to ever do so, so what better time than now hey!

3 hours ago, Nate said:

I forgot about Airbnb actually, thanks!

When I was in Germany I only used Air Bnb when travelling around Europe (Austria, France, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, UK). There were some absolute gems, and you get to hear some amazing stories.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, haz said:

When I was in Germany I only used Air Bnb when travelling around Europe (Austria, France, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, UK). There were some absolute gems, and you get to hear some amazing stories.

Only use it here too. Occasionally use it outside Europe and here, got a decent one in Brazil once. Doesn't make much economic sense outside the first world though (and also makes it harder to meet people which is a hostels biggest advantage)