Melbourne Football

Travel.... Interstate and Overseas.

HeartinHobart

Without a doubt driving across the U.S.A. from Las Vegas to just beyond Denver, Colorado on what are known as "Scenic Highways." Went though places such as Monument Valley. Have also driven several times shorter distances in New Mexico etc. If you do it, buy some genuine Indian jewellery for the woman in your life.

Wonderful experience. Couldn't live there, but such a great country to visit.

• Like 1

In Bali now.

Don't really get what's so appealing about that standard bogan Kuta trip TBH. Fairly expensive while being dirty and full of street traders etc. There are cheaper places that are no worse in terms of the dirtiness and stret traders etc.

Or you can go Nusa Dua, spend more, but live like a king on an island paradise. Once I'm done exploring the whole Island I'll spend my last couple of days there.

Going to Fiji in September for a wedding. Pretty keen.

Going to England for the first time early next year to catch up with my English mates. Fucking keen.

Tips for either?

Beachcomber Island used to be great but I think it got burnt down. You could walk around the island in about 20 mins and all that was on it was a pub and dorms, so the only thing everybody could do was drink.

Avoid Nadi, it's a fucking hole. Spend as much time as you can on the islands.

Tower of London is probably the only real touristy thing in England that's really worth going to. Bath is worth visiting. Other than that just drink and go to sports.

Having a kid has killed my regular travels, apart from Sydney away will be spending some time in the Grampians later on in the year and Perth/Singapore next year.

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

found that from all my travels home and abroad, having a friend who lives / is from the travel destination always helps.  

for anyone going / looking to go to China, Shanghai and Nanjing are awesome.  again, make sure to go with (a.) someone who knows the local area, and (b.) speaks and reads mandarin well.  two great places - Shanghai for the modernisation of China (particularly since it has a population of Australia living in a city around the same size as Melbourne) and Nanjing with all the history (it is the "old south capital" with many monuments and links any number of historical factors in China)

out of curiosity, who on here has been to Darwin?  as it is, i have visited / explored all other Australian capitals, and as such i am wondering what are the best three things people have done / visited while in Darwin?

Going to England for the first time early next year to catch up with my English mates. Fucking keen.

Tips for either?

Different for everyone, but as hedaik said, Tower of London is pretty good. Shakespeare's Globe surprised me, definitely worth doing. London Dungeon is another tourist type deal that is worth a look. Depending on how much $$$ you have, the major shopping places are a must (Regent and Oxford Street, Harrods etc). Have a look at Piccadilly Circus while you're around there, and see "The Book of Mormon" if you can. You won't regret it. Other than that, see as much sport as you can. I found I didn't have nearly enough time in London and I was there for a week.

If you can go to Bath and York, I enjoyed both as much as London. Really cool old cities, I didn't want to leave when I was there.

Plenty to do!

Alright niche question time. I'm going to England for the Rugby World Cup final in October, the old man and I visit London at least once a year and both grew up there so are sick of it. 

My mums family are Lithuanians who left during communism so we thought it would be a good place to visit for a week.

Has anyone been/ have any suggestions of what to do and what not to do? I know fuck all about the country itself and have got a brief understanding from quick research online but previous trips have taught me peoples previous experiences and tips are always the best.

So Lithuania what can ya'll telll me?

• Like 1

Vilnius old town is beautiful. Awesome Jewish influenced architecture. I only spent one night and two days there so is about all I can give you! Drop down to Bialystok in Poland and drink your weight in wodka afterwards.

Thanks mate! Vilnius seems to be the go and everyone speaks highly of the old town.

Done Poland a few times as the missus is Polish. You know you're in Poland when you get so drunk on the cheap vodka that you vomit out the side of your father-in-laws car and it freezes on the side.

• Like 1

Tips for either?

Liverpool was a city that surprised me. A really nice mix of its historical elements and modern architecture. A great place to go out too.

Tips for either?

Liverpool was a city that surprised me. A really nice mix of its historical elements and modern architecture. A great place to go out too.

I love the North, regularly go up to Leeds to see my Grandparents when I'm back over there and try to make it to Manchester and Liverpool if i get the chance.

Tips for either?

I was only in Liverpool for about 6 hours and that whole time was spent at the Grand National. Great day, but so many spray tans. 

Edited by hedaik

Anyone ever been to Java?

Tempted given the proximity, but I'm not sure of the safety of Indonesia proper, nor do I have much confidence in domestic Indonesian air travel.

Most importantly, will it score me a bunch of points ITT as an exotic and dangerous place to travel to? That's really the key criteria that will determine if I go there.

I wa supposed to go to America with a Mate this year but he had to pull out because of legal reasons.

I'm still going to travel somewhere solo this year I'm just not to sure where yet. I want to go on a adventure and see some cool shit instead of just getting shit faced like I normally do when on holidays.

I have been thinking Nepal maybe? I am open to suggestions..

Going to visit relatives in the U.K. this August and might take in a game either at City or my old home town club Crystal Palace that's if i can talk  a certain person into going,"my wife".she comes to home games at AAMI park so it won't be too difficult i hope. 

I wa supposed to go to America with a Mate this year but he had to pull out because of legal reasons.

I'm still going to travel somewhere solo this year I'm just not to sure where yet. I want to go on a adventure and see some cool shit instead of just getting shit faced like I normally do when on holidays.

I have been thinking Nepal maybe? I am open to suggestions..

I'd still recommend U.S.A. and Canada even though you might be travelling by yourself. Hire a car and drive. Use what they call the "Scenic Highways" and stay in motels in the small towns. You'll be OK. I've found that if you're by yourself it's better to be in an English-speaking (well, almost!) country.

US flights are basically free at the moment if you keep a look out for deals.

Seen flights to NY cheaper than even the best deal for LA last year.

Huge drop in demand because of the fall in the dollar.

With the U.S. Dollar and Euro nearing parity its Europe that wI'll get my attention again next... In particular Western Spain and Portugal.

• Like 1

Backpacking around Europe in May for 2 months by myself.Should be interesting as I've never been to Europe before, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if srs.And if srs, LOL.

SRS LOL.

Edited by tomby

Backpacking around Europe in May for 2 months by myself.

Should be interesting as I've never been to Europe before, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Take a portable phone charger, some hostels don't have power points. (assuming you're staying in hostels)

Don't plan TOO much, if you don't like a certain place for whatever reason you want to be able to fuck off for a while without being stuck there, even if it is to the next closest town/city

• Like 1

The one thing I regret not doing when in Europe was going to a game of professional football, I did manage to attend a Lazio yoof game tho.

Also this, once you know roughly what area you'll be in at what dates, look at fixtures. I was in Barcelona for El Clasico and didn't realise until I was there..Not that I would have gotten tickets but still