Melbourne Football

Fed up

Baka1

ITT: everyones a professor and knows exactly how to fix the terraces.

stop being so concerned about the terrace just because you have a few victory mates in the NT that rip on you for being a Melburnian in the school playground and if you want to be more european ultra terrace, you wouldnt even be friends with a NT member, you would stab that cunt even if he never said a word to you. if you dont like then jump ship otherwise more singing less criticizing. 

we put in a shit load of effort into the terrace for no reward, we dont get paid, the club/police/ffa fuck us over with their rules, we get abused by our own supporters weekly for not doing what they want yet we still rock up every week and do the job. 

if you have concerns, have the guts to say it to our faces, you know where we are pregame and at the game, we are more than happy to listen to suggestions and grievances. 

• Like 5

Mate I just don't want us to go down to the levels of Adelaides, Perths, Brisbane terraces and be copy cats like them. Copying everyone's chants isn't a good thing whether it mates noise or not. Create a fucking identity (eg rbb) and implement some new chants and make us a terrace that's fkn respected. Also someone intimidating and that can gain respect from people will make people WANT to chant. Not people that go and scream and swear into GA's faces. They sit GA for a reason muppets

What exactly is this identity?

As far as most people are concerned their 'ídentity' of the RBB is a large group of dole bludgers that don't mind a dust up every now and then...

Yes, they have that reputation (and with good reason), but in terms of chanting co-ordination, general matchday atmosphere etc, they are second best only to North Terrace.

Let's be honest, one of the reasons (apart from winning football games) WSW has made such inroads into the competition is because of the RBB and the atmosphere they provide, and the way they involve the GA sections, amongst other things.

Which is fine, RBB create a brilliant atmosphere and are much better than us at doing so at this stage.

Doesn't have anything to do with 'identity' tho....

Mate I just don't want us to go down to the levels of Adelaides, Perths, Brisbane terraces and be copy cats like them. Copying everyone's chants isn't a good thing whether it mates noise or not. Create a fucking identity (eg rbb) and implement some new chants and make us a terrace that's fkn respected. Also someone intimidating and that can gain respect from people will make people WANT to chant. Not people that go and scream and swear into GA's faces. They sit GA for a reason muppets

What exactly is this identity?

As far as most people are concerned their 'ídentity' of the RBB is a large group of dole bludgers that don't mind a dust up every now and then...

Yes, they have that reputation (and with good reason), but in terms of chanting co-ordination, general matchday atmosphere etc, they are second best only to North Terrace.

Let's be honest, one of the reasons (apart from winning football games) WSW has made such inroads into the competition is because of the RBB and the atmosphere they provide, and the way they involve the GA sections, amongst other things.

Which is fine, RBB create a brilliant atmosphere and are much better than us at doing so at this stage.

Doesn't have anything to do with 'identity' tho....

Agreed. Demand has just about exceeded supply for the Wanderers since Day 1. And that was before they were successful almost right off the bat. I don't have anything to do with our active area and don't particularly want to, but if our active supporters had started this year at a new club that was packing the joint out and winning heaps of games, I'm sure they would have found things a lot easier. It's a bit of a chicken/egg argument. I'd love to know how many active supporter groups have been successful in creating an intimidating match day atmosphere, when they're cheering a wildly unsuccessful team in a stadium that is routinely less than a quarter full. Can't imagine it would be an easy gig.

• Like 1

Mate if you like the identity of the RBB, head to Sydney and join them.

If you want to help turn our terrace into something we can all be proud of, neck up, come and have a chat face to face and stop being a little bitch about things online.

• Like 2

Sat on the north end vs Perth.

Lost my shit when I heard Melburnians go "Come on you city boys" only to hear Glory fans literally a split second later sing "Come on you Glory boys".

I've said this before, there are plenty of original (unused in the A-League) and clever chants around in this forum. Why you persist with shit like "What do we think of Glory? Shit" is beyond me. 

But I don't active anymore so I couldn't' care less these days.

• Like 3

Lost my shit when I heard Melburnians go "Come on you city boys" only to hear Glory fans literally a split second later sing "Come on you Glory boys".

I've said this before, there are plenty of original (unused in the A-League) and clever chants around in this forum. Why you persist with shit like "What do we think of Glory? Shit" is beyond me. 

Then what is the point of even posting here?

If you have a genuine idea then act on it. Too many armchair critics. 

Edited by Hackett
  • Like 3

I had plenty of genuine ideas, check the chants forum... I just gave up. 

• Like 2

why cant we just have every armchair crittics and haters get off the forum. your critisicms are not constucting your just abusing melburnians and the core group. they put in tons of effort into making the best atmosphere at the games and all you haters do is sit at home on your computers abusing everyone. why dont you come and say it to there faces. then go off and dont bother comming back into the terrace again. 

why cant we just have every armchair crittics and haters get off the forum. your critisicms are not constucting your just abusing melburnians and the core group. they put in tons of effort into making the best atmosphere at the games and all you haters do is sit at home on your computers abusing everyone. why dont you come and say it to there faces. then go off and dont bother comming back into the terrace again. 

Looks like the Victory forum is leaking

There's a difference between constructive criticism and just flat out abuse, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot more of the former rather than the latter in regards to this thread.

Yes, fair enough about the calls about speaking face to face with suggestions etc, but it still doesn't mean there hasn't some valid points raised on here.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and just flat out abuse, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot more of the former rather than the latter in regards to this thread.

Yes, fair enough about the calls about speaking face to face with suggestions etc, but it still doesn't mean there hasn't some valid points raised on here.

The fact this thread exists means we all want a better atmosphere at the games. It also means that just because someone isn't involved in active support their opinion or suggestions don't carry any weight. If anything they are able to experience the atmosphere in a way active cannot and see things differently. I do agree with many poeple on here that the results of the team by and large affect the involvement of the active support section. But I also think it's up to active to set the culture they want, their nonnegotiables for what they feel active support represents. Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

You'd almost think theres a connection between abusing the leaders of the terrace and having your posts ignored. 

• Like 2

You'd almost think theres a connection between abusing the leaders of the terrace and having your posts ignored. 

I haven't "abused" anyone lmao

edit: nobody is ignoring the posts either. Beardedheart has posted on quite a few and recognised them as contenders. 

Are you just talking for the sake of talking?

Edited by strider
  • Like 1

Just some of your work from the last 12 months. 

You might be content with being damn near the worst active support in the league

shit, bland and unoriginal support.

Rofl look at you all defending the shitstain polluting Yarraside. No hope. You are the reason the franchise's support hasn't grown or is worthy of notice.

Capo needs to be a lot less of a flog. 

The Yarraside in general has become a huge flogfest over the past few years. 

Both are a complete shitstain upon the A-League in my opinion. 

We are quite literally run by 15 year olds who have watched Green Street Hooligans a little more than once and have little to no idea about the real underlying passion behind Football.

Half you spudmuffins are more worried about your brand new homo-erotic clothing than SUPPORTING the club.

Ideas for improving Yarraside: Get rid of Yarraside

YSIDE =/= Melburnians. But if it's a similar core then there's the reason it's failing. Enjoy son!

Just some of your work from the last 12 months.

You might be content with being damn near the worst active support in the league

shit, bland and unoriginal support.

Rofl look at you all defending the shitstain polluting Yarraside. No hope. You are the reason the franchise's support hasn't grown or is worthy of notice.

Capo needs to be a lot less of a flog.

The Yarraside in general has become a huge flogfest over the past few years.

Both are a complete shitstain upon the A-League in my opinion.

We are quite literally run by 15 year olds who have watched Green Street Hooligans a little more than once and have little to no idea about the real underlying passion behind Football.

Half you spudmuffins are more worried about your brand new homo-erotic clothing than SUPPORTING the club.

Ideas for improving Yarraside: Get rid of Yarraside

YSIDE =/= Melburnians. But if it's a similar core then there's the reason it's failing. Enjoy son!

Nice comeback

The fact this thread exists means we all want a better atmosphere at the games. It also means that just because someone isn't involved in active support their opinion or suggestions don't carry any weight. If anything they are able to experience the atmosphere in a way active cannot and see things differently. I do agree with many poeple on here that the results of the team by and large affect the involvement of the active support section. But I also think it's up to active to set the culture they want, their nonnegotiables for what they feel active support represents.

What people tend to forget though is people outside of an organisations leadership structure don't get to make decisions. Sure they can voice an opinion, but they have no right to get shitty when people don't think their shitty ideas are fantastic.

An example is the guy that made 50 different threads about shitty chants that he thought were brilliant and no one gave a fuck about. He ended up creating another thread to link to all the shitty suggestions he had come up with.

Active support get a shit load of suggestions all the time and it is too time consuming to look at them all.  If people are serious about improving active support then there is nothing stopping them sending Core a PM detailing their practical ideas or approaching one of them either pre or post match.  Improvement "ideas" such as Melburnians need to chant more or be louder or do this type of chants or be more like RBB are useless unless it also comes a realistic way of implementing the idea.

Having been some one who has sacrificed a shit load of time with Yarraside I can tell you that the amount of effort that goes into running an active end is enormous and critics tend to underestimate how hard it is to implement ideas that on the face of it seem simple or small.

End rant.

I agree with everything you've said, and did so before your post. It's not simple, there are no easy ways around making improvements and yes it takes up a lot of people's lives to run the active section. And I agree poeple need to go about things the right way and not just complain on the forum and leave it at that.

My main point was simply do the Melburnians, and particularly the core group, have a set culture they want to instill in the group? Maybe you can help me understand this better, being with Yarraside in the past? The core obviously have difficulty controlling peoples enthusiasm on game day especially when the team is losing, or getting more people involved with active etc. But there are things the active support group can control, such as the type of chants sung (more english style chants v euro/south american chants), and even a more structured chanting list to happen during games etc. I see these things as setting the base for people to 1) remember chants better 2) get involved more 3) always have a chant to sing during the game. So maybe you can shed some light on this?

Unfortunately Niko, core don't actually have that much control over the type of chants that get sung. In the past the YS always tried to use unique chants and often original ones too, only to be met with indifference from the majority of the terrace. Barely anyone bothered to learn them. At best there would be a few that would mumble along but most just didn't bother singing at all. Then come on the forum and complain that they don't like the chants.

That's why it ended with the same ones being used over and over- because it's the only ones the majority of people would get into. Which would annoy a different group of people so they would come on here and complain about not having original chants.

This is why forum suggestions largely get ignored. If people have ideas to improve things they need to get involved and help make those changes happen. Back seat drivers are not helpful.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Niko, core don't actually have that much control over the type of chants that get sung. In the past the YS always tried to use unique chants and often original ones too, only to be met with indifference from the majority of the terrace. Barely anyone bothered to learn them. At best there would be a few that would mumble along but most just didn't bother singing at all. Then come on the forum and complain that they don't like the chants.

That's why it ended with the same ones being used over and over- because it's the only ones the majority of people would get into. Which would annoy a different group of people so they would come on here and complain about not having original chants.

This is why forum suggestions largely get ignored. If people have ideas to improve things they need to get involved and help make those changes happen. Back seat drivers are not helpful.

This.

You honestly cannot please everyone regardless of what you sing. One chant will be enjoyed by a third of the people, then another chant will be enjoyed by another third, but each third will only sing the chants they enjoy.

If everyone just sang every chant that was introduced with the same passion that they sing their favourite chants, then the terrace would be a happier place and much easier to manage.

But unfortunately people are selfish and will rarely give, but are always happy to take.

When we can sing all the chants we currently sing with equal enthusiasm week in and week out, then we can add some more.

ITT: everyones a professor and knows exactly how to fix the terraces.

stop being so concerned about the terrace just because you have a few victory mates in the NT that rip on you for being a Melburnian in the school playground and if you want to be more european ultra terrace, you wouldnt even be friends with a NT member, you would stab that cunt even if he never said a word to you. if you dont like then jump ship otherwise more singing less criticizing. 

we put in a shit load of effort into the terrace for no reward, we dont get paid, the club/police/ffa fuck us over with their rules, we get abused by our own supporters weekly for not doing what they want yet we still rock up every week and do the job. 

if you have concerns, have the guts to say it to our faces, you know where we are pregame and at the game, we are more than happy to listen to suggestions and grievances. 

^^^^^

This.

You honestly cannot please everyone regardless of what you sing. One chant will be enjoyed by a third of the people, then another chant will be enjoyed by another third, but each third will only sing the chants they enjoy.

If everyone just sang every chant that was introduced with the same passion that they sing their favourite chants, then the terrace would be a happier place and much easier to manage.

But unfortunately people are selfish and will rarely give, but are always happy to take.

When we can sing all the chants we currently sing with equal enthusiasm week in and week out, then we can add some more. I assume then that people that pick and choose which chants to sing to don't really understand what active support is about. Its a shame you can't send them packing to be honest.

It definetly sounds like a challenge, and one where you won't please everyone. But trying to please people will never work, and as a supporter group you do what you feel is the best for the atmosphere at games. Why not have a set list of chants for the beginning of the game, at the 5th min, 12min etc etc etc. and stick to that for each game. If people see there's no other option then they can either join in or pack up and leave. It's definitely not as simple as that, but it seems at the moment things are done by the seat of your pants when it comes to chants. Perhaps because they're trying to please everyone. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

This.

When we can sing all the chants we currently sing with equal enthusiasm week in and week out, then we can add some more. I assume then that people that pick and choose which chants to sing to don't really understand what active support is about. Its a shame you can't send them packing to be honest.

It definetly sounds like a challenge, and one where you won't please everyone. But trying to please people will never work, and as a supporter group you do what you feel is the best for the atmosphere at games. Why not have a set list of chants for the beginning of the game, at the 5th min, 12min etc etc etc. and stick to that for each game. If people see there's no other option then they can either join in or pack up and leave. It's definitely not as simple as that, but it seems at the moment things are done by the seat of your pants when it comes to chants. Perhaps because they're trying to please everyone. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We have "heart go marching in" at 20:09 and split terrace "melbourne city ole" in the second half but set times is hard because for some songs they work once or twice through like "we are melbourne" and die off where as others like "we are Melbourne we are city" seem to go forever. What I'm trying to say without rambling is some set songs it works others not so much.

People seem to forget this is the first time we have added call and response with GA and the terrace and a jumping chant. On top as many City specific chants. In 9 home games no less

People don't appreciate the good things you do, just whinge that you don't do things their way.

That's right. And we still can't make more than a quarter of the terrace jump.

One game we had almost half jumping and it looked great on TV. Would look so good if everyone got involved.

• Like 1

This.

We have "heart go marching in" at 20:09 and split terrace "melbourne city ole" in the second half but set times is hard because for some songs they work once or twice through like "we are melbourne" and die off where as others like "we are Melbourne we are city" seem to go forever. What I'm trying to say without rambling is some set songs it works others not so much.

People seem to forget this is the first time we have added call and response with GA and the terrace and a jumping chant. On top as many City specific chants. In 9 home games no less

People don't appreciate the good things you do, just whinge that you don't do things their way.

That's right. And we still can't make more than a quarter of the terrace jump.

One game we had almost half jumping and it looked great on TV. Would look so good if everyone got involved.

So there's chants that get everyone singing for longer and others that don't. So is that a problem with the chants themselves, is it a leadership problem not being able to get the whole active support singing or is it the culture of our active support that we have people involved that don't get involved? Or a combination of some of these things?

Personally I'd say its a little of some and a lot of others. Involvement in active is a big thing though, I don't see the point of standing in the bay and not getting involved, but from there I suppose it falls on the terrace leaders to set the expectation that you sing or fuck off. On the chants themselves I think most are fairly solid, some bomb and others have mixed reactions. But i think that once a culture change takes place that it is necessary to get involved they will all pick up.