Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

1 hour ago, cadete said:

This is the exact reason why I can't understand the Media's argument to re-sign Hardwick...

He has been there for numerous seasons now and the team still has Culture Issues and are brittle when it comes to matches that really matter so why re-sign him now?

IIRC when Ian Collins was at Carlton they tolerated a couple of young players for a while until they turned up wasted. I believe that sanctions and sackings need to be delivered by the club president. End of season delistings are probably decided by the football department and OKed by the club president. Big name signings are also ratified by the club president/board. So not entirely sure the whole blame can be laid at Hardwicks door but he certainly should be pushing for more stringent penalties.

As for Hardwick's coaching this season should be the make or break for him. Culture issues are pretty hard to eradicate - most clubs have a core group of about four players that are likely to cause embarrassment to the club. The brittleness of the players is perplexing but bear in mind that I don't believe that Jack Riewaldt will ever play in a GF because he is brittle. Great to watch during the season but not so in the finals.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

IIRC when Ian Collins was at Carlton they tolerated a couple of young players for a while until they turned up wasted. I believe that sanctions and sackings need to be delivered by the club president. End of season delistings are probably decided by the football department and OKed by the club president. Big name signings are also ratified by the club president/board. So not entirely sure the whole blame can be laid at Hardwicks door but he certainly should be pushing for more stringent penalties.

As for Hardwick's coaching this season should be the make or break for him. Culture issues are pretty hard to eradicate - most clubs have a core group of about four players that are likely to cause embarrassment to the club. The brittleness of the players is perplexing but bear in mind that I don't believe that Jack Riewaldt will ever play in a GF because he is brittle. Great to watch during the season but not so in the finals.

I actually dont think it is that hard to rectify, at Geelong you had Mooney, Johnson and Stokes all fuck up and then get told to ship up or fuck off and that is what they did for the rest of their careers. A number of other Geelong players also went from Pissheads to Professionals over the course of the 2007 Off Season.

The reason Motlop went so late in the draft was because the other clubs felt that "Motlops" were too hard to coach so instead Geelong backed themselves and made him play Reserves for almost two years so he knew he had to constantly earn his place in the side. (I admit I am biased as a Cats fan but somehow I feel like he would not have turned out as good at club like Richmond or Carlton.)

Of course Motlop then got caught on the piss last season, but he got the message loud and clear from his teammates and coach and it proved to turning point in his year when he went from being tagged out of games and very uneffective to being one the H&A Seasons best players for the second half of the year.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

• hedaik locked this topic