Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

Why are people putting Carlton so high up the ladder? We're not that good...

I tend to agree but it usually takes Mick a few years to get his Father/Son thing going with his players and when if he gets this dynamic going he can make a lot players and teams play than others can...

The Collingwood sides that played Brisbane in those two GF's being the prime example.

Edited by cadete

I still think my North boys will finish 5th or 6th. I think last year we had a great run, we can beat anyone on our day but we are just too damn inconsistent. We lose to crap teams too much and then we go out and beat good teams. 

Then teams as shown last year are nervous to face us in finals for the reason we can beat good teams on our day.

From pre season reports Higgin is tracking well in the midfield and has a spring in his step and Waite is training well up front with the forward group. Let's hope they stay injury free to see what they will offer.

• Like 2

I still think my North boys will finish 5th or 6th. I think last year we had a great run, we can beat anyone on our day but we are just too damn inconsistent. We lose to crap teams too much and then we go out and beat good teams. 

Then teams as shown last year are nervous to face us in finals for the reason we can beat good teams on our day.

From pre season reports Higgin is tracking well in the midfield and has a spring in his step and Waite is training well up front with the forward group. Let's hope they stay injury free to see what they will offer.

Just a question but is Wells still a bit of a whipping boy amongst North fans?

Personally I think his injuries problems were not his fault and he is a man of strong character... mind you when I saw him play WAFL once against Easts one day I swore he was going to end up being a better Andrew Macleod. Then again when I saw Paddy Ryder in the WAFL I thought he could become the next Stephen Michael.

What is kind of funny is how Johnson is still a whipping boy for some Cats fans... and I cant see him many not being listing him as a Champion post his career.

Edited by cadete

Nah, don't think wells has ever truly been a whipping boys amongst north fans. There's been obvious frustration over his injuries and the fact that he's shown so much without being able to do it regularly but don't think id have thought he was a whipping boy.

That tag is firmly reserved for Lachie Hanson, Lindsay Thomas and Sam Wright.

Nah, don't think wells has ever truly been a whipping boys amongst north fans. There's been obvious frustration over his injuries and the fact that he's shown so much without being able to do it regularly but don't think id have thought he was a whipping boy.

Huge spud.

:droy:

Edited by carlings

Yeah - Footballers like Lachie Hansen have always shit me off...

Every club has had one of these guys who gets picked early, has a lot of height and apparently a lot of potential and they usually just end up getting to be on an AFL list three times longer than shorter, more dedicated and often better players do because of these reasons. They rarely bother to play State League once their AFL dream is over either.

Classic example being Andrew McDougall who I knew growing up in Perth... it was already obvious to a lot of Eastern State Observers that the guy had reached his peak at 17 yet the Eagles still picked him up at Number Five and he ended up in the AFL system for Seven Bloody Years because of his height and draft position.

If he had been picked mid draft and been a shorter midfielder type he would have served his two years and disappeared into oblivion... instead he got to spend seven years texting girls in his Game Day Suit in the Players Box.

Edited by cadete

Every club has had one of these guys who gets picked early, has a lot of height and apparently a lot of potential and they usually just end up getting to be on an AFL list three times longer than shorter, more dedicated and often better players do because of these reasons. They rarely bother to play State League once their AFL dream is over either.

Classic example being Andrew McDougall who I knew growing up in Perth... it was already obvious to a lot of Eastern State Observers that the guy had reached his peak at 17 yet the Eagles still picked him up at Number Five and he ended up in the AFL system for Seven Bloody Years because of his height and draft position.

If he had been picked mid draft and been a shorter midfielder type he would have served his two years and disappeared into oblivion... instead he got to spend seven years texting girls in his Game Day Suit in the Players Box.

Haha yeh I know what you mean. Fucking David trotter was our only top 10 draft pick for like 10 years and might have been one of the biggest spuds to ever grace our list for the four or five years he was on it.

Hanson is an interesting one, I still think he very much has a place in north's best 22.

HOWEVER, he is very limited in that IMO he has to play the spare man/floater in defence. Hes got a terrific engine and is really good at backing into a pack marking but is pretty shite at most other things in the game.

Basically Id pick him in that position every day of the week above most others, but he isn't really worth a pinch of shit as one on one defender or forward.

Haha yeh I know what you mean. Fucking David trotter was our only top 10 draft pick for like 10 years and might have been one of the biggest spuds to ever grace our list for the four or five years he was on it.

Hanson is an interesting one, I still think he very much has a place in north's best 22.

HOWEVER, he is very limited in that IMO he has to play the spare man/floater in defence. Hes got a terrific engine and is really good at backing into a pack marking but is pretty shite at most other things in the game.

Basically Id pick him in that position every day of the week above most others, but he isn't really worth a pinch of shit as one on one defender or forward.

I tell you who was exactly the same type and a high draft pick... Graham Polak.

Edited by cadete

So our (Gold Coast) PR signing (that all my friends on the coast swear black and blue did a fantastic job promoting the club) had some spare time on his hands last season and (allegedly) decided to supplement his ridiculously high salary with some transactional work?

On top of that by NRL club is the Titans and they have suspended 2 players whilst they figure out WTF is going on.

Terrible week for sport on the Coast.  I guess its lucky for the suns that Hunt has left now, but even so its still not good.

I guarantee if watts was delisted by melbourne at least 10 other clubs would snap him up in the draft

You are right there as the guy is def of AFL Quality and will end up being a 200 game player but his high draft rating would still be one of 5 factors for the clubs that did pick him up.

Jack Watts - Is a perfect example of the problem with the TAC Cup when compared to the Colts Systems in Perf and Adel... I know some TAC Cup Players can be selected for VFL sides on occasion but the AFL needs to start again IMO and incorporate the two leagues more completely.

ATM its too hard to assess footballers from Victorian in comparison to those who play the odd game of WAFL or SANFL... we need our Victorian Under 19's playing more Senior Footy at VFL clubs and learning the football culture from these clubs.

Even if its only a few odd games and just a lot more senior training (Because of course a lot of players have private school football commitments due to scholarships) but for supporters of all sides recruiters need to be able to assess Victorian Players more evenly against boys from WA and SA.

Edit - Having future top picks playing for Coburg or Port would only boost attendance's at games as well... and TBH I often think the AFL could even think about raising the draft age making prospective juniors play a compulsory year of State League Football whilst completely some sort of intense course on Life as a Footballer plus offering a choice of some Tertiary Work (Uni/Tafe) to make them more prepared for life after AFL as well.

In the old days the Reserves Comp provided such a backdrop for players to work on their footy and themselves... but now so many just enter the system and get chewed up and in many cases its because they are just developing slower than others. 

Under the current system guys like Dipper or Libba would never had made it as they both played a lot of Reserves footy before breaking through and becoming champions.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Managed to find a few other dees supporters who also want stand and drink at the footy. Can't wait for the new season.

Inb4 who's going to sit if all are standing

LOL - Is this because by the time you get to the G all the seats in the MCC are already covered by furnaces and pieces of newspaper by Bill and Jude who got their at 7am to save their spots. :up:

TTIM: The unwritten rule at the races that a form guide on an empty table in the Members that means that table has therefore been taken for the rest of the afternoon.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Managed to find a few other dees supporters who also want stand and drink at the footy. Can't wait for the new season.

Inb4 who's going to sit if all are standing

LOL - Is this because by the time you get to the G all the seats in the MCC are already covered by furnaces and pieces of newspaper by Bill and Jude who got their at 7am to save their spots. rofl well played

How he gets away with physically assaulting his opponent is beyond me!

Probably the same way Murphy got away with elbowing Crowley off the ball, and Gibbs got away with throwing a forearm into Ballantynes head after he took a mark.

He gave 6 free kicks away anyway, dunno what you're talking about by saying he gets away with it. 

They were probably well deserved! And if he only got pinned for 6 free kicks there were probably at least another 6 he got away with!

So like every other person that bags out Crowley, you're just assuming hes dirty behind the play without any evidence. The way he plays is no different to any good defender who shuts their opponent out of the game.

If Crowleys a dirty player, what the hell does that make the eye gouging chicken winging ex captain of yours? 

Dirty cheat on, and off the field!

• hedaik locked this topic