Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

Why not just continue the other afl thread?

Big threads can break forums, and I think its easier for searching and reading old conversations if its broken up season by season

Ideally I'd like to see more threads for different AFL discussions to make it more lively in here

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Early ladder predictions?

Sydney

Port Adelaide

Hawthorn

North

Fremantle

Geelong

Gold Coast

Richmond

Adelaide

Brisbane

Collingwood

Wet Toast

Essendon

Western Bulldogs

Carlton

Greater Western Sydney

Melbourne

StKilda

Thats a bold prediction of Essendon finishing that low

I think the doping saga will catch up with them this year. Possible suspensions, everything coming to a head etc

Sydney

Port Adelaide

Hawthorn

North

Fremantle

Geelong

Gold Coast

Richmond

Adelaide

Brisbane

Collingwood

Wet Toast

Essendon

Western Bulldogs

Carlton

Greater Western Sydney

Melbourne

StKilda

Pretty bold prediction to state Footscray, Carlton, Falafels, Melbourne, and Aints will end finish up with 0 points and negative percentage. 

• Like 2

Sydney

Port Adelaide

Hawthorn

North

Fremantle

Geelong

Gold Coast

Richmond

Adelaide

Brisbane

Collingwood

Wet Toast

Essendon

Western Bulldogs

Carlton

Greater Western Sydney

Melbourne

StKilda

Pretty bold prediction to state Footscray, Carlton, Falafels, Melbourne, and Aints will end finish up with 0 points and negative percentage. 

have to laugh at Melbourne and Carlton retaining their name because its embarrassing enough as it is 

I CBF making a ladder cos only the Hawks, Swans or Port can win the flag from how I can see it and ultimately this is all that matters at the end of the day.

But I'm sure PPL are going to ask... So I will say I would be happy with the Cats finishing Seventh or obv higher.

I think they could finish anywhere from 5th to 10th TBH.

Edited by cadete

I CBF making a ladder cos only the Hawks, Swans or Port can win the flag from how I can see it and ultimately this is all that matters at the end of the day.

But I'm sure PPL are going to ask... So I will say I would be happy with the Cats finishing Seventh or obv higher.

Pretty much my thoughts....I think GC will be the one that moves up into the higher positions. Expect Freo to finish 5-8

Hawks will win it again, Gold Coast will push for top four, Freo will be the big slider and GWS will be sniffing around the eight. Dees will improve significantly, West Coast will make the eight and the Saints will do well to win more than one game.

Fair enough, what teams are falling out of the eight from last season?

Pretty much my thoughts....I think GC will be the one that moves up into the higher positions. Expect Freo to finish 5-8 Tbh I fancy you guys to finish top 2 but I know thats my heart speaking over my mind which is why I put them @ #4. Haven't heard of any injuries to key players, you're best players are in their prime. Mayne will surely have a better year than 2014 & expecting big things from Suban. I guess your backline is the only worry atm. Edited by MaliMate

Hawks will win it again, Gold Coast will push for top four, Freo will be the big slider and GWS will be sniffing around the eight. Dees will improve significantly, West Coast will make the eight and the Saints will do well to win more than one game.

Fair enough, what teams are falling out of the eight from last season?

I'll say Richmond, Freo (I know it sounds ludicrous but they went out in straight sets, they're the oldest list and that gameplan is bloody taxing) and possibly Essendon.

there are teams every year that don't make it when expected to and teams that no one tips to climb. Always interesting to see who.

eg who would have tipped Port to have the season they did two years ago, whilst not many tipped the Pies to miss last year

Edited by bt50

Pretty much my thoughts....I think GC will be the one that moves up into the higher positions. Expect Freo to finish 5-8 Tbh I fancy you guys to finish top 2 but I know thats my heart speaking over my mind which is why I put them @ #4. Haven't heard of any injuries to key players, you're best players are in their prime. Mayne will surely have a better year than 2014 & expecting big things from Suban. I guess your backline is the only worry atm.

Our defence is our biggest problem for the next season, McPharlap will be lucky to play more than half the season I would have thought and theres nobody to really take his spot as that dominating CHB. Perhaps Johnson will fill that role and Morabito will become the sweeping backman in his place.

We're also struggling for a replacement for Pav. Apeness, Hannath & Taberner are all candidates but we really need one of them to have a break out year if we're going to be a top 4 side this year. Tabs is the only one who showed signs of doing that last year.

Suban will be lucky to get a game this year.

Edited by hedaik

Hawthorn
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Sydney
North Melbourne
Geelong
Adelaide

Gold Coast
West Coast
Essendon
Collingwood
Richmond
Brisbane
Bulldogs
Carlton
Melbourne
GWS
St Kilda

Freo still in the window, backline makes me slight nervous can't afford injuries.

Geelong just know how to win. Mitch Clark will be massive for them.

Adelaide have some elite players that can turn games and will be super hard to beat at home.

West Coast have some gun forwards and mids that can win games.

Gold Coast/ Team Ablett can't afford injuries but should make the 8.

Pies are cooked.

Tigers are cooked.

Carlton are really fucking cooked.

Doggies to win a few games and develop their young list.

GWS - no Patton hurts.

Dee got a lot to prove and will win more than last year.

St's building towards 2066 - 100 year centenary celebrations.

Edited by carlings

Hawthorn

Fremantle

Port Adelaide

Sydney

North Melbourne

Geelong

Adelaide

West Coast

Gold Coast

Essendon

Collingwood

Richmond

Brisbane

Bulldogs

Carlton

Melbourne

GWS

St Kilda

Freo still in the window, backline makes me slight nervous can't afford injuries.

Adelaide have some elite players that can turn games and will be super hard to beat at home.

Pies are cooked.

Tigers are cooked.

GWS - no Patton hurts.

you have them finishing 9th :blink:

Hawthorn

Fremantle

Port Adelaide

Sydney

North Melbourne

Geelong

Adelaide

West Coast*

Gold Coast*

Essendon

Collingwood

Richmond

Brisbane

Bulldogs

Carlton

Melbourne

GWS

St Kilda

Pies are cooked.

Tigers are cooked.

GWS - no Patton hurts.

derp.. fixed. Apologies Bt50. Can North go far this year? Do they have it in them?

Pretty much my thoughts....I think GC will be the one that moves up into the higher positions. Expect Freo to finish 5-8 Tbh I fancy you guys to finish top 2 but I know thats my heart speaking over my mind which is why I put them @ #4. Haven't heard of any injuries to key players, you're best players are in their prime. Mayne will surely have a better year than 2014 & expecting big things from Suban. I guess your backline is the only worry atm.

Our defence is our biggest problem for the next season, McPharlap will be lucky to play more than half the season I would have thought and theres nobody to really take his spot as that dominating CHB. Perhaps Johnson will fill that role and Morabito will become the sweeping backman in his place.

We're also struggling for a replacement for Pav. Apeness, Hannath & Taberner are all candidates but we really need one of them to have a break out year if we're going to be a top 4 side this year. Tabs is the only one who showed signs of doing that last year.

Suban will be lucky to get a game this year.

Deadset? Can't say I watched all of your games last year but he seemed to stand out to me at times. Maybe just cause he is a lefty and looks pretty silky on the ball. Would take him at Essendon in a heartbeat though.

I'm a bit of a stats geek and was working on some graphs to compare players last year, don't have the data on me now but I'm pretty sure he was in your top 5 for tackles per 120 minutes played which is something I know Ross would get a stiffy over.

Hes been a fringe player for the last few seasons now, lack of consistency is his main problem. Was famously subbed out before half time a couple of seasons ago for playing shit. 

I'd expect some of the younger players coming through (Duffy?) to get priority over him this season. I was expecting Sylvia to be the death of Suban but we know how that one worked out. 

I don't hate the guy as he tries his gut out, will just never be a star player. 

Hmmm wouldn't call Suban silky...just imagine you're a freo forward on a long lead and you see Suban, Barlow, Fyfe or Danyle Pearce running toward you with ball in hand. You know it's either getting to you on the half volley or going over your head.

This is why freo didn't and won't win a flag, they all have a crack but when the heat is on too many of their senior players can't execute basic skills...

• Like 1

Hawthorn

Fremantle

Port Adelaide

Sydney

North Melbourne

Geelong

Adelaide

West Coast*

Gold Coast*

Essendon

Collingwood

Richmond

Brisbane

Bulldogs

Carlton

Melbourne

GWS

St Kilda

Pies are cooked.

Tigers are cooked.

GWS - no Patton hurts.

derp.. fixed. Apologies Bt50. Can North go far this year? Do they have it in them?

similar to last year I reckon. Think we'll be a bit more consistent this year although a tough start could make things interesting if we cant win a few early.

4th or 5th for us imo, you never know after that.

Hopefully a tilt at a flag at some stage in the next couple seasons, but that next step is always the hardest once you get to the top 4.

Apologies BT...

But I really just dont rate North like so many in the media and others do and I think if they are going to winning a flag I think its a much more immediate concern than PPL tend to make out. If they are going to win one then it has to be in the next three (I would even say two) years.

They actually have the league's second oldest list which is significant because a lot of PPL are ruling Freo out because they have the oldest list. I know there are quite a few notable examples of "Too Old - Too Slow" Premiership teams but almost always these sides have been contenders for a fair while before they win such a flag.

Personally if I was North fan I would have wanted them to put Geelong really to the sword in the finals last season (I still dont know why they didn't) and been at least a bit more competitive early on against Sydney in the PF.

Obv I can see some of the upside that the media goes on about with North but the used to do the same thing with the Bulldogs and I remember a similar thing with the Connolly Era Dockers. If I was a North fan I would be expecting results now.

Edited by cadete

Apologies BT...

But I really just dont rate North like so many in the media and others do and I think if they are going to winning a flag I think its a much more immediate concern than PPL tend to make out. If they are going to win one then it has to be in the next three (I would even say two) years.

They actually have the league's second oldest list which is significant because a lot of PPL are ruling Freo out because they have the oldest list.

I know there are quite a few notable examples of "Too Old - Too Slow" Premiership teams but almost always these sides have been contenders for a fair while before they win such a flag.

Personally if I was North fan I would have wanted them to put Geelong really to the sword in the finals last season (I still dont know why they didn't) and been at least a bit more competitive early on against Sydney in the PF.

Obv I can see some of the upside that the media goes on about with North but the used to do the same thing with the Bulldogs and I remember a similar thing with the Connolly Era Dockers. If I was a North fan I would be expecting results now.

Nah that's fine, I agree to an extent other than I don't think we have 'recruited to win one in the next two years'.

Sure we've had a dabble at free agency, but we've taken our top 3 picks at the draft every year since the hay debacle. Our core midfield is almost entirely made up of youngsters in cunnington, ziebell, atley, mcmillan, swallow, McDonald that still have a good 6-10 years in them

Obviously we are trying to push up into that next bracket with the recruitment of dal, Waite and Higgins but we haven't really given up anything to do it.

Moving from top 4 contender to premiership contender IMO is the hardest jump in footy. And by contender I mean serous contender, not the contender that the media throw about each year.

At this stage I don't think we are there yet, but that can change in 10 weeks within a group. Just as a team can have its confidence decimated in a 10 week block and be rendered useless.

IMO the difference between Hawthorn and Sydney, to North and Richmond is that confidence and the way it affects the way you play.

Geelong are such an impressive team because despite their limitations they still have that confidence, perhaps even an arrogance that they can win from almost any position. That's priceless IMO.

• hedaik locked this topic