Melbourne Football

Rugby Union

thisphantomfortress

• 5 years later...
6 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Rebels are apparently 20M in the red. Including 10M unpaid taxes. 

Just when you thought we were the worst run football code in Australia. 

This sort of thing should be completely avoidable. A condition of membership of a football league (e.g. the A-League) should be the 6-monthly submission to the governing body of detailed audited accounts by each member club, and sustained operating losses should not be allowed. I'm no expert in this, but to me it's common sense. You can't live beyond your means. If you start to, then you have to cut back on your expenditure, or produce more income, or both.

Rugby here has a long list of problems. It seems to me that they’ve struggled to adapt to the challenges that going professional brought, such that the Wallabies have gone from one of the very best teams in the world to falling out of the top 8 and with problems at every tier of the game. In fact the problems may actually get worse as the game moves down in standard, as it does seem there’s been a bit of papering over the cracks.

Having said that I don’t follow it enough to know why.

One bizarre thing they’ve done with the Wallabies is exclude foreign based players from selection (unless they meet certain criteria), which in essence is a policy that refuses to acknowledge the international nature of the game now. 

Edited by D.B. Cooper

16 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Rugby here has a long list of problems. It seems to me that they’ve struggled to adapt to the challenges that going professional brought, such that the Wallabies have gone from one of the very best teams in the world to falling out of the top 8 and with problems at every tier of the game. In fact the problems may actually get worse as the game moves down in standard, as it does seem there’s been a bit of papering over the cracks.

Having said that I don’t follow it enough to know why.

One bizarre thing they’ve done with the Wallabies is exclude foreign based players from selection (unless they meet certain criteria), which in essence is a policy that refuses to acknowledge the international nature of the game now. 

I thought that the Wallabies were a national team, just like the Socceroos. Otherwise what would stop Saudi Arabia buying the best players and call them Nationals?

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I thought that the Wallabies were a national team, just like the Socceroos. Otherwise what would stop Saudi Arabia buying the best players and call them Nationals?

@NewConvert I think @D.B. Cooper's referring to not selecting players who play for overseas clubs?

Don't follow RU myself so I'm not sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Well that’s what we did with Fornaroli.

Anyway as @jw1739 suggested  I’m referring to Australians who sign for a foreign club. Once they do Rugby Australia refuse to pick them (unless they’re in the back end of their career, basically).

If football did that it means we would have refused to pick the likes of Kewell, Viduka, Bresciano, Cahill in the past and we would have tried to qualify for various cups with an A League based squad. No Ryan, Goodwin, Souttar, Irvine etc etc this time around.

How mad is that?

Edited by D.B. Cooper

7 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Well that’s what we did with Fornaroli.

Anyway as @jw1739 suggested  I’m referring to Australians who sign for a foreign club. Once they do Rugby Australia refuse to pick them (unless they’re in the back end of their career, basically).

If football did that it means we would have refused to pick the likes of Kewell, Viduka, Bresciano, Cahill in the past and we would have tried to qualify for various cups with an A League based squad. No Ryan, Goodwin, Souttar, Irvine etc etc this time around.

How mad is that?

That is insane! Are they the only sport that does that?

I suppose that it does seem crazy on the surface. But I'm guessing that RUA doesn't have a lot of cash, and that it's easier and cheaper to select a national squad and have training sessions etc. locally than traipsing all around the world looking at players and bringing in players from all over the place for training sessions and matches.

We often say that the Socceroos can't string more than two passes together and look as though they've only just met in the warm-up to the match...

Don't know the answer for a country such as Australia.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I suppose that it does seem crazy on the surface. But I'm guessing that RUA doesn't have a lot of cash, and that it's easier and cheaper to select a national squad and have training sessions etc. locally than traipsing all around the world looking at players and bringing in players from all over the place for training sessions and matches.

We often say that the Socceroos can't string more than two passes together and look as though they've only just met in the warm-up to the match...

Don't know the answer for a country such as Australia.

A sugar daddy that will bankroll a European/middle East training assuming that the clubs release the players+a local one.