Melbourne Football

Rugby Union

thisphantomfortress

Its very sad. He sounded like a decent human being too. As a player he certainly transformed wing play - small fast guys were popular before he came along!

I'll never forget him destroying the Poms in the world cup - unfortunately for the kiwis though, the south africans had seen big guys before and they shut him out in the final.  

Not to detract from the great Jonah, but in Australia at least, Dally Messenger would have been the first Rugby Superstar, (some 90 odd years earlier).  He was the star whose signature was big enough to underwrite the birth of a new game.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
10 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Really shit effort. Only have ourselves to blame, although England's defence was like a brick wall

Honestly I remember going to see England v the all blacks in Wellington in 2003, this English side look just as good. Amazing the difference a good coach can make

Edited by thisphantomfortress

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Honestly I remember going to see England v the all blacks in Wellington in 2003, this English side look just as good. Amazing the difference a good coach can make

Agreed, they look a completely different side to the rabble that we played at the World Cup

14 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Really shit effort. Only have ourselves to blame, although England's defence was like a brick wall

if we'd stopped trying to score try's at all costs and taken free kicks and field goals we would have won easily. Poor tactics lost us the game.

Having said that was shit to watch. Confirmed why I don't bother watching Rugby anymore.

• 11 months later...
19 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

This thread needs some love, hell of a game tonight. Lions with one of the all time great test trys but all blacks just too good 

What's going on with the whole cutting teams thing mate? I noticed there was a crap crowd at the Wallabies game and they blamed it on that, can you give me a summary of it?

12 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

What's going on with the whole cutting teams thing mate? I noticed there was a crap crowd at the Wallabies game and they blamed it on that, can you give me a summary of it?

Think of how bad the ffa are and double it and that's the ARU. Super rugby expanded to the point it was unsustainable and they're cutting it back and an aussie team has to go. The whole process has been handled terribly. Google for actual details cause I cbf explaining it all

• Like 1

Think of how bad the ffa are and double it and that's the ARU. Super rugby expanded to the point it was unsustainable and they're cutting it back and an aussie team has to go. The whole process has been handled terribly. Google for actual details cause I cbf explaining it all

Ok that makes sense, will it be the Rebels that are cut?

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

The irony being people want the FFA to expand 

On 25/06/2017 at 5:20 PM, thisphantomfortress said:

Got the inside Goss on this one, will be force. Greenline it

I always thought that Perth, with East Pretoria as a suburb, would be safe from being cut, I thought that it would be the Rebels to make way

Edited by japiedog

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

I always thought that Perth, with East Pretoria as a suburb, would be safe from being cut, I thought that it would be the Rebels to make way

Rebels are privately owned and have a qc who has offered to take the aru on pro bono. Would cost far more in legal costs to the aru to have a crack at the rebels 

On 2017-6-25 at 6:28 PM, Hellenic Hero said:

What are Rebels crowds like? Compared to Force that is

Wouldn't know tbh, but as shit as the rebels do, they still pull alright crowds. Like i think the rebels average 8-12k depending on who they are playing

I heard they were winding down, and the fact that their not re-signing their coach is a sign to it.

He also quite crap atm too so it could be that lol, @thisphantomfortress would know more about this then myself.

13 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Wouldn't know tbh, but as shit as the rebels do, they still pull alright crowds. Like i think the rebels average 8-12k depending on who they are playing

I heard they were winding down, and the fact that their not re-signing their coach is a sign to it.

He also quite crap atm too so it could be that lol, @thisphantomfortress would know more about this then myself.

TM was always gunna be gone by seasons end, surprised he made it to this season tbh there was a player revolt last year. They're signing players and the owners have been unequivocal in their stance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2017 at 2:08 PM, japiedog said:

Yeah, but knowing a lot of these people  from when I lived there they aren't they type to attend sport regular... (Produce a lot of hot daughters though.)

There are also a lot of Kiwis in Perth, but of course being Kiwis they have stuck with the local teams from where they are from in NZ.

(Expecting otherwise is like expecting a Vic to change AFL teams cos he lives in Perth - Not happening.)

Edited by cadete

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

They always pull off a win against the Saffers or Argies, but bledisloe they haven't a snow balls chance 

they won't beat the Jaapies in SA, plus the Argies will push hard for a win at home

the AB's will blow them of the paddock, if Oz gets within 20 points, they will consider that a good effort, but i reckon they'll be lucky to keep it at 30 points

in reality they arsed their way through the Italy match, the could have ( and probably should have ) lost that one

woeful against Scotland, and to think that Scotland had their 5 best players unavailable

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, japiedog said:

Where's my Green Line ??

20 points exactly, but the AB's took the foot oft he pedal, they should have won by 30 or more

Was a bizare test. All Blacks looked like they couldn't be assed after half time. Whoever said test rugby lacks trys needs to watch both games from last night. 

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

From someone who knows bugger all about rugby union, would we have been better to develop and add to existing Australian club rugby rather than go for the "super rugby" concept?

Club rugby was always well to the background in Oz. Where the action was at  was what Rugby calls "Provincial Level". Here that meant state level. Queensland were always playing someone, be it a visiting touring side, from the other side of the world, or the flamboyant Pacific Nations and of course the old enemy, clad in their satanic sky blue. Plenty of tours too to, including of course NZ, where we'd have to play gun teams like Canterbury.

Eventually some bright spark said let's make this a tournament and thus the South Pacific Cup was born, with (I think) our only 2 teams worth a tinkers cuss, 3 NZ and Fiji. Eventually that became super rugby.

The advantage over club rugby is that there are less teams to spread the talent, however given we really only have 2 states to source players (& at least in Queensland the game is even then not very widely played, only in a few select schools, or at least was), trying to have 5 quality provincial teams was a bit of a joke.

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Club rugby was always well to the background in Oz. Where the action was at  was what Rugby calls "Provincial Level". Here that meant state level. Queensland were always playing someone, be it a visiting touring side, from the other side of the world, or the flamboyant Pacific Nations and of course the old enemy, clad in their satanic sky blue. Plenty of tours too to, including of course NZ, where we'd have to play gun teams like Canterbury.

Eventually some bright spark said let's make this a tournament and thus the South Pacific Cup was born, with (I think) our only 2 teams worth a tinkers cuss, 3 NZ and Fiji. Eventually that became super rugby.

The advantage over club rugby is that there are less teams to spread the talent, however given we really only have 2 states to source players (& at least in Queensland the game is even then not very widely played, only in a few select schools, or at least was), trying to have 5 quality provincial teams was a bit of a joke.

So true... also PPL in NSW often literally care more about their School Rugby than Super Rugby.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

http://www.kimberleyecho.com.au/?politics%2Fwa-govt-may-sue-aru-over-force-axing-ng-s-1762839

"If the ARU goes bankrupt it will be their own fault"

interesting.

if you remove politics, keeping the Melbourne team makes no sense.

Agree, Rebels finish rock bottom, Force finish second ( Australian pool)

Rebels Stay, Force kicked out.

Rebels are in one of the toughest sporting markets in the world, up against the AFL in all its glory, plus NRL and A League

I was a foundation member and stayed for 5 seasons , but enough was enough

the same brand of mistake laden rugby, no improvement in the team performance

Backroom deals done to keep them in the Super competition

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

Agree, Rebels finish rock bottom, Force finish second ( Australian pool)

Rebels Stay, Force kicked out.

Rebels are in one of the toughest sporting markets in the world, up against the AFL in all its glory, plus NRL and A League

I was a foundation member and stayed for 5 seasons , but enough was enough

the same brand of mistake laden rugby, no improvement in the team performance

Backroom deals done to keep them in the Super competition

WA are huffing and puffing but it would cost a hell of a lot more to scrap the Rebels. Plus lower travel costs etc etc.

WA are huffing and puffing but it would cost a hell of a lot more to scrap the Rebels. Plus lower travel costs etc etc.

WA huff and puff about everything...   They have word they use often called: "Eastern Staters" and they will almost always be actually are surprised when you tell them nobody knows of this word outside of WA.

For Example: Every Free Kick paid at Subi against the WCE is because of the Eastern Staters running the AFL... even when WCE usually sit in the Top Five of Free Kick Ladder (The currently sit comfortably on top ATM).

Edited by cadete

ahh So the Wallabies almost arsed their way to a win

the ALL BLACKS, made more mistakes in the first 10 minutes than they normally make in a Test series, plus 2 disallowed tries

while I'm happy that the Wallabies almost did it, plus a cracking match to watch, it masks the fact that the Wallabies are still off the pace compared to the AB's

Let"s see what transpires in the matches against the Jaapies and the Argies