Melbourne Football

Rugby Union

thisphantomfortress

Seeing as Super Rugby starts this week and its World Cup year thought I would start a thread for those of us not brought up in Victoria.

Interested to see if anyone else on here gets along to any Rebels games.

Born in Victoria, but all over Rugby at the minute. 

Will be attending a few Rebels games this season with Duffman. Looking forward to a great World Cup as well.

Seeing as Super Rugby starts this week and its World Cup year thought I would start a thread for those of us not brought up in Victoria.

Will be attending a few Rebels games this season with Duffman. Looking forward to a great World Cup as well.

Got my tickets to the final and the third place match at the World Cup can't wait. Went last time when it was in NZ and the atmosphere was amazing. Positives this time is that the AB's aren't as all conquering as they were in 2011 and England and Ireland will be formidable forces up North this time around.

Got my tickets to the final and the third place match at the World Cup can't wait. Went last time when it was in NZ and the atmosphere was amazing. Positives this time is that the AB's aren't as all conquering as they were in 2011 and England and Ireland will be formidable forces up North this time around.

That'd be unreal. When I was in Europe late last year I nearly snagged some great tickets to England vs Australia at Twickenham.

Reckon Ireland are massive smokies.

Brought up attending storm games with my dad (UK expat), so was always pretty into league. Lived and taught in the UK for a time and the school was one of the top rugby schools in the country. Really grew to appreciate the game for being the gentleman's game and once you really get a good grip on the rules becomes very exciting.  

Brought up attending storm games with my dad (UK expat), so was always pretty into league. Lived and taught in the UK for a time and the school was one of the top rugby schools in the country. Really grew to appreciate the game for being the gentleman's game and once you really get a good grip on the rules becomes very exciting.  

Yea I went to a Rugby playing school when living in England and then moving to NZ for a bit really made the game grow on me.

Brought up attending storm games with my dad (UK expat), so was always pretty into league. Lived and taught in the UK for a time and the school was one of the top rugby schools in the country. Really grew to appreciate the game for being the gentleman's game and once you really get a good grip on the rules becomes very exciting.

Officially "the game they play in heaven"

Unofficially "a game for thugs played by gentlemen"

Hardly played Union (mostly league if I did play oval ball) but my brief experience suggested it had potential to be a lot more vicious than League. Having a maul form over you is no laughing matter....

Unofficially "a game for thugs played by gentlemen"

The other way around. A game played by cavemen for a bunch of toffs to watch.

Hardly played Union (mostly league if I did play oval ball) but my brief experience suggested it had potential to be a lot more vicious than League. Having a maul form over you is no laughing matter....

So true Played one game in high school. Absolutely terrifying experience. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didnt know the Rebels were not privately owned. Will be interested to see how this plays out. 

We were but then the ARU bought us then getting sold again. I have a family member and a friend who work there and TBH doesn't sound like the ARU have given too much of a shit about the Rebels last few years so hopefully private owners will be an improvement.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Who else has been watching the World Cup? Australia looking pretty sharp.

solid win over the Poms, but honestly despite their claims, any team with ambition simply has to beat them. We got a similar result against Fiji and flogged Uruguay. So solid enough start.

The real test comes against the real Rugby nations of New Zealand and South Africa, based on our pre-tournament form we must be considered a chance.

I care more about NZ not winning it than us winning it TBH...

I am sick to death of fake Kiwi's who come out around this time every four years despite being born over here, almost as bad as the fifteen year old Muzza's who chanted "Italia, Italia, Italia" on Lyon Street after that fucken tackle in 2006.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...