Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

Just shows how ahead of the game we are in every aspect whether it be sports science or active support.

Cue the jealous supporters from other clubs. :clap:

will never work I dunno man the INXS port Adelaide shit seems to work ok. Plus the grog squad at Richmond games make a bit of noise singing I don't think it'll work outside the standing area

We have been chanting at Cats games for years now... the Essendon thing will be shit because you need a unorganised Standing Room approach to these sort of things in AFL. The normal Cheer Squad members are just going to get pissed of with those trying an Active Approach because its all regulated now.

The only Active Scenes that work in Australian Soccer are those that are independent from the club... not dictated and funded by the club itself like in the AFL. A quick look at each sides supporters quickly points out this fact - and it was one principle that we would never compromise in Yarraside despite all the other internal evolutionary changes that happened over time.

Even when Geelong were at their peak and the Official Cheer squad would be right front of us and could clearly hear and must of known the words to our chant for Gazza they always refuse to join in and persist with their crappy Cricket Style Chants.  

The reason things have worked better at Port is because their Cheer-squad is less regulated than the one's other here and still has some resemblance to an old SANFL Cheer-squad. When I was a kid at the VFL the Cheer-squad actually used to contain a lot more nutters but these days its all regulated and all the most passionate fans end up getting kicked out... I am pretty sure this is how the Richmond Grog Squad was formed.

In fact when I used to go to East Freo games in the mid 90's in Perth the Cheer-Squad  consisted of a bunch of a few Special Types but mainly young Stoner Surfies looking to punch on with opposition fans. In the 80's and 70's it was a reason for many opposition fans to avoid even going to watch their side play Easts.

FWIW a lot of NRL clubs in Sydney still have Cheer Squads more resemblant of those types who most call Rowdies and opposition fans still get invited to have a chat behind the hill if the banter gets too heavy. 

Edited by cadete