Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

Last year was greatest year of AFL for me in my entire life.

Cats winning the flag – after being written of all year as not good enough to beat the Pies and being there when they did.

Borough winning the flag for the first time since the year I was born and doing it against Willy – Particularly satisfying as I had to get from the airport to the ground and arrived in the depths of the first term.

I could not believe that we were 5 goals down – but my presence steady the ship.

If we get injuries this year it will matter more this year for the Cats but I still reckon we are a flag chance.

I predict Collingwood to slide a bit (Still be strong – but perhaps not flag strong) without Mick, and I don’t think Buckley will be that great as a coach in being able to relate to his players as he could not really when he was a player himself.

Hawthorn I hope fall of cliff and die - however I have scary feeling they will make the Grand Final and if they play the Cats they will probably beat us, just because they are Hawthorn.

Edited by cadete

Predicting my Doggies to finish around 12-14, it could be quite a long season for us with a few losses during the off season and not enough talented youth coming though. Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn will again be the powerhouse teams, with West Coast also being a dangerous contender if they improve from last seasons surprising form.

I hate WCE (I spent my school years living in East Freo) – so I am very biased.

However I reckon they could really slump.

The did discover some good young players last year, but much more importantly they also had a great season with injuries are far as certain important Veterans went compared to previous seasons.

I saw their season as very similar to Geelong’s in 2000 where we made the finals and then did not for a few years on account of some normally injured Vets really helping the young guys along.

I see them finishing seventh or eighth.

I as a Geelong supporter as far as improvers are concerned I think Carlton is the main worry.

Predicting my Doggies to finish around 12-14, it could be quite a long season for us with a few losses during the off season and not enough talented youth coming though.

I agree that we will be shit but strongly disagree with the talented youth comment. Dahlhouse, Libba, Wallace, Cordy, Roughead, Skinner, Wood?? None of those get ya going?

Hahaha, no.

This season is going to be a good one, imo the top 4 is going to be Geelong, Hawthorn, Fremantle, and Collingwood.

Being a pies fan, last year's loss was devastating hoping they can bounce back this year, can see these top 4 teams doing well.

Hahaha, no.

This season is going to be a good one, imo the top 4 is going to be Geelong, Hawthorn, Fremantle, and Collingwood.

Being a pies fan, last year's loss was devastating hoping they can bounce back this year, can see these top 4 teams doing well.

Im sorry but have you told a Freo supporter that, because half mates are Freo supporters and they would most likely laugh at you predicting them to do well.

Saints to capitulate in a crying heap again and me to give up defending them.

Melbourne to get close if not make the finals this year along with the Roos.

Dogs to slip and teams such as the Suns, Giants, Lions and Tigers to be down the bottom.

Decided not to re knew my membership for the first time in my life and have lost a lot of interest in the game. It just seems a world apart from what I used to watch whilst freezing my tits off at Waverley.

Only went to 2 games last season and they were a close loss to Geelong in the most boring game of football I have ever seen in my life after leading all day and then went back next week to watch them draw with the Tigers FFS.

Going into this season with a seriously open mind, but not expecting much. Everything that comes out of Moorabbin (or Seaford) is utter bullshit and spun harder than a Warnie leggie.

Decided not to re knew my membership for the first time in my life.

As much as i despise everything about StKilda FC, this is an abhorrent decision. Clubs like ours (Footscray FC) need every member we can get and to hold them. Its the only way we will stay alive and compete with the big clubs. Clubs like Essendon etc will not miss the Bandwagoners (im not inferring you are one btw) who jump off with results etc. I tell all my fellow Bulldogs that the Carltons of this world expect to win Flags every year but when the day comes for the FFC, it will be the sweetest nectar of all.

As much as i despise everything about StKilda FC, this is an abhorrent decision. Clubs like ours (Footscray FC) need every member we can get and to hold them. Its the only way we will stay alive and compete with the big clubs. Clubs like Essendon etc will not miss the Bandwagoners (im not inferring you are one btw) who jump off with results etc. I tell all my fellow Bulldogs that the Carltons of this world expect to win Flags every year but when the day comes for the FFC, it will be the sweetest nectar of all.

I can't afford it.

I used to pour shitloads into the club buying a jersey every 2nd season, other items and a Gold Social club membership every season.

I understand exactly what you are saying, My old man was a Lions fan from 81 onwards, in all seriousness not a long time, but long enough to see some fairly average things. The club from what I understand is at an extremely commendable level of memberships sold already, so it isn't as though I am joining a long line of people jumping off a bandwagon.

Obviously I still love the club, but not enough to eb forking over in excess of $200 this season. Maybe next year - Not ruling it out completely.

I agree that we will be shit but strongly disagree with the talented youth comment. Dahlhouse, Libba, Wallace, Cordy, Roughead, Skinner, Wood?? None of those get ya going?

Dahlhouse and Wallace are good, Libba hasnt shown much, Roughhead and Wood both have their moments and havent seen much of Skinner. As a Doggies member for the past 8 years attending the majority of home games, we need to stop recruiting soft duds who dont put there head over the ball or are too injury prone- prime example is Veszpremi and Tom Hill. Sherman is another player who hasnt done enough for me, which is why we wont be in the contention for a flag for years to come...

I could almost taste that nectar in the 2009 prelim final against St Kilda when we were winning the whole game, then Milne the rapist got that late goal to put them 7 points in front after we'd had em till the last 10 mins of the 4th quarter, that was our year to get a flag, so frustrating!

Predicting our (Carlton's) season to quite similar to last year's.

Very much a rollercoaster team, playing excellent and terrible footy at times.

Talk of Hampson trying to force his way into the forward line, which will be interesting.

Nonetheless, our forwards are too inconsistent and there isn't enough depth in our backs.

Hopefully finish 4th, but most likely a 5th or 6th imo.

Collingwood will slip early on with Buckley, but their squad is still fantastic, and they couldn't drop very far.

Will be a run between Collingwood and Geelong for first.

Hawthorn, Carlton, and the two Perth teams (kinda scared of what they are capable of tbh) fighting for 3-6.

when that day comes you will find me naked in barkly street drunk off my tits and on top of the world!

• Like 2

If Watson plays all 22 and Essendon win 14+, pencil him in for the Brownlow.

Already got a few $$$ on him @13.

Lead the tally before he did his Hammy...twice + We don't have any other midfielders to fight him for the 3 points.

We (Essendon) will not win 14 games with or without Jobe.

Thats what I was thinking, you cant have each way...

If you dont have any other A Grade Midfielders to steal 3 votes of Jobe then your not going to win 14 games.

Carlton only won 14 games last year to finnish 5th and they have Judd, Murphy and Gibbs and quite few handy other guys.

If Watson plays all 22 and Essendon win 14+, pencil him in for the Brownlow.

Already got a few $$$ on him @13.

Lead the tally before he did his Hammy...twice + We don't have any other midfielders to fight him for the 3 points.

I put money on him @ $31 after round 1 last season and was getting a tad excited before his string went.

Time for a break out year from Paddy Ryder.

I could almost taste that nectar in the 2009 prelim final against St Kilda when we were winning the whole game, then Milne the rapist got that late goal to put them 7 points in front after we'd had em till the last 10 mins of the 4th quarter, that was our year to get a flag, so frustrating!

I'd probably say it was our year.

20 wins in the regular season, top of the ladder etc.

You'll get there one day, as will we.

I'd probably say it was our year.

20 wins in the regular season, top of the ladder etc.

You'll get there one day, as will we.

Calm down you two – It was neither of either of your team’s year. ;)

Premiers: Collingwood

Spoon: GWS

Coleman: Buddy

Brownlow: Pendlebury

First coach sacked: Matthew Primus

As long as Collingwood can get to September in a top four position, and with a relatively healthy top 25-27 players, then we should win it this year. The list is there, the players played under Buckley's gameplan in 2010, flag or bust after last year.