Melbourne Football

2016 FFA Cup including prelim rounds

Shahanga

I think they came from the amateurs Vicsoccer.

Ironically they were called Melbourne City Spartans. I read somewhere they had to change their name to go into FFV because Spartans didn't satisfy FFV criteria.

Edited by Jovan

Nice story by football chaos on this weekend's big match:

http://footballchaos.com/index.php/news-blogs/news-archives/1423-bendigo-city-v-eltham-s-25-game-winning-streak

Results in:

Bendigo City 2 - Eltham 1.

Match report:

Apparently we went ahead on the 70 minute mark, but they got a "cheap penalty equaliser", then Bendigo got a heartbreaking 93rd minute winner.

A good effort against an NPL1 side, but its still sad that the dream is over for this season.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cockburn City could be one to watch this year for a good run, they've signed a guy with an excellent goal scoring record in lower league England and the North Irish league in Rory Patterson. Seems like they're already starting to dominate in WA.

Edited by Tesla

(beavis and butthead voice)- hehe you said Cockburn hehe

Sorry to disappoint but pretty sure you pronounce that "Coburn."

Anyway more interestingly Eltham conquerors (at the death, after our star striker had missed a sitter earlier on) Bendigo City have had a 4-1 win over Brunswick City.

(beavis and butthead voice)- hehe you said Cockburn hehe

Sorry to disappoint but pretty sure you pronounce that "Coburn."

Anyway more interestingly Eltham conquerors (at the death, after our star striker had missed a sitter earlier on) Bendigo City have had a 4-1 win over Brunswick City. Why ruin it for me?

What next? Santa Claus isn't real?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The last 16 in Victoria (I think its the last 4 to go through to the national rounds again?)

Hume City

Kingston City

Melbourne Knights

Bendigo City

Goulburn Valley Suns

South Melbourne

Frankston Pines

South Springvale

Preston Lions

Essendon Royals

Oakleigh Cannons

Ballarat red Devils

North Geelong Warriors

Caulfield United Cobras

Heidelberg United

Avondale

Next round weekend of 5th to 8th June.

http://results.theffacup.com.au/comp_info.cgi?c=0-10664-0-346598-0&pool=1&round=0&a=FIXTURE

theres 2 more rounds left in victoria comp, 16 down to 8 down to 4. i think victoria deserves more than 4 spots in the round of 32 but that is the ffa for you

the south melbourne vs melbourne knights will be a great match to watch.

Edited by agoalie
  • Like 1

i think victoria deserves more than 4 spots in the round of 32 but that is the ffa for you

I don't know if they came up with it independently themselves, but I wrote to the FFA several years ago (they wrote back BTW) suggesting they establish an FFA Cup and amongst other things, that the criteria for places (which i called "slots"*, a terminology i see they have adopted) be on the basis of the number of registered senior players.  This is the criteria they've adopted and whilst some federations have complained (most notably SA), it seems a pretty fair way to start.  The alternative is suggesting somehow that one federation is better than another, an assumption that often doesn't stand up on the playing field.

I see this year they've give a special slot to the NPL national winner, which i think is a great initiative.

* attention strider - I definitely wrote SLOTS

I don't know if this is a spoof or not but:

Exclusive: Former EPL star Louis Saha granted clearance for FFA Cup

·         By Sean Ellicott

·         Posted: May 27, 2015

Could this be the most left-field signing in Australian football history?

The Corner Flag has reason to believe that former Manchester United, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur striker Louis Saha is set to reach an astonishing agreement with Zagame’s State League Three side Caulfield United Cobras.

No, surely not… right?

It is understood that Saha – who has ties with Australia – has been granted clearance for a one-off appearance against NPL outfit Heidelberg United in the Sixth Round of the FFA Cup at Olympic Village, on Friday June 5th.

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/epl-star-louis-saha-granted-clearance-ffa-cup/

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of  Cup Magic

True Until I die

A cold Friday night in Albert Park was the scene of my adventure.

During the day I had managed to convince a friend to join me on what promised to be a special night for Victorian football. Hellas vs Knights in the ffa cup v2.

Sure there was no big name signing in the form of Louis Saha but we were more than content with the prospect of watching Andy Brennan play his final game before heading to join the Newcastle Jets.

The trip was long and arduous with multiple train changes and a long tram ride, but we ultimately reached the hallowed turf of lakeside stadium, primed and ready for the big game. On our way to the ground we saw the club legend seed and nut seller and the designated smokers area packed to the brink the atmosphere well and truly established.

The stadium was buzzing as kickoff began with cries of ‘hellas ole ole’ ringing loud and clear. A few early chances to both teams, but little more. I can’t say I remember much more of the first half, and that is because I spent it in line waiting at the canteen. Yes that’s right, 40 minutes waiting for a hamburger as the club had run out of souvlaki’s (nearly causing an uproar and a few greek women became severely light headed!). I must say I was bitterly disappointed but my mood brightened when I turned around in the line to see the great man Mark Viduka behind me, having a lengthy chat to fellow ex-socceroo Kimon Taliodoras (Funny enough, the discussion was actually about the lack of mustard as a condiment, dukes was clearly unhappy).

Burgers consumed it was time to watch the second half, and boy what a thriller. The knights began to dominate the game and were rightly rewarded with a clinical goal about 15 minutes into the second half (a header from a corner). Following this goal a fight broke out below the stand with some disgruntled south supporters and jubilant knights fans which brought the whole crowd to their feet (this would not be the last time for the evening).

But like we have come to expect from ‘professional teams’ such as Melbourne city fc, the knights were too keen to sit back on their lead. The hosts had multiple chances to draw level and it was only when the knights centre back went full retard and kicked the ball into his own hand that south could score (milos Ljujic from the penalty spot).

South took the lead only minutes later sending the crowd into raptures, but it wasn’t to be the end of the drama, not by a long shot.

10 minutes later a south ballboy was sent to the stands after he attempted to delay time by not giving a ball to a knights player. He was joined in the sheds on full time by one knights player and south goalkeeper Nikola Roganovic (you may remebre him from the heart days) who both went absolutely spastic in a mass brawl in the final minute of the game.

The knights player left the field whilst giving the crowd the finger, roganovic was hailed as a ‘hero’ by the south fans, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he faces a couple of weeks on the sideline as he actually elbowed a knights player in the head.

Prior to this final brawl, South had killed the game with a 3rd goal but to be honest, they far from deserved the win. The players played like a bunch of pansies and were nowhere near as physically tough as the knights. They got very luck from an absolute brainfart from a knights player and took full advantage by scoring with momentum.

I can’t see South Melbourne progressing far into the actual ffa cup but with only qualifying match left, it seems ‘Oceania’s club of the century’ and its hardcore supporters will be able to hammer it into all of us once again that they should be in the a-league.

Congrats to the hellas and commiserations to the knights, a fantastic nights entertainment for the supporters which had everything (well except an actual high quality game of football- long live the longball!!)

True Until I die

During the day I had managed to convince a friend to join me on what promised to be a special night for Victorian football. Hellas vs Knights in the ffa cup v2.

Sure there was no big name signing in the form of Louis Saha but we were more than content with the prospect of watching Andy Brennan play his final game before heading to join the Newcastle Jets.

The trip was long and arduous with multiple train changes and a long tram ride, but we ultimately reached the hallowed turf of lakeside stadium, primed and ready for the big game. On our way to the ground we saw the club legend seed and nut seller and the designated smokers area packed to the brink the atmosphere well and truly established.

The stadium was buzzing as kickoff began with cries of ‘hellas ole ole’ ringing loud and clear. A few early chances to both teams, but little more. I can’t say I remember much more of the first half, and that is because I spent it in line waiting at the canteen. Yes that’s right, 40 minutes waiting for a hamburger as the club had run out of souvlaki’s (nearly causing an uproar and a few greek women became severely light headed!). I must say I was bitterly disappointed but my mood brightened when I turned around in the line to see the great man Mark Viduka behind me, having a lengthy chat to fellow ex-socceroo Kimon Taliodoras (Funny enough, the discussion was actually about the lack of mustard as a condiment, dukes was clearly unhappy).

Burgers consumed it was time to watch the second half, and boy what a thriller. The knights began to dominate the game and were rightly rewarded with a clinical goal about 15 minutes into the second half (a header from a corner). Following this goal a fight broke out below the stand with some disgruntled south supporters and jubilant knights fans which brought the whole crowd to their feet (this would not be the last time for the evening).

But like we have come to expect from ‘professional teams’ such as Melbourne city fc, the knights were too keen to sit back on their lead. The hosts had multiple chances to draw level and it was only when the knights centre back went full retard and kicked the ball into his own hand that south could score (milos Ljujic from the penalty spot).

South took the lead only minutes later sending the crowd into raptures, but it wasn’t to be the end of the drama, not by a long shot.

10 minutes later a south ballboy was sent to the stands after he attempted to delay time by not giving a ball to a knights player. He was joined in the sheds on full time by one knights player and south goalkeeper Nikola Roganovic (you may remebre him from the heart days) who both went absolutely spastic in a mass brawl in the final minute of the game.

The knights player left the field whilst giving the crowd the finger, roganovic was hailed as a ‘hero’ by the south fans, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he faces a couple of weeks on the sideline as he actually elbowed a knights player in the head.

Prior to this final brawl, South had killed the game with a 3rd goal but to be honest, they far from deserved the win. The players played like a bunch of pansies and were nowhere near as physically tough as the knights. They got very luck from an absolute brainfart from a knights player and took full advantage by scoring with momentum.

I can’t see South Melbourne progressing far into the actual ffa cup but with only qualifying match left, it seems ‘Oceania’s club of the century’ and its hardcore supporters will be able to hammer it into all of us once again that they should be in the a-league.

Congrats to the hellas and commiserations to the knights, a fantastic nights entertainment for the supporters which had everything (well except an actual high quality game of football- long live the longball!!)

Yeah,nah.

Out of curiosity do you watch or have you watched much vpl/npl in your time?

The Knights player that was sent off was Tomislav Uskok. Thought he was fantastic last night.

On the ffv radio coverage last night they talked about him and whether he was good enough for aleague, said he has the talent but has strong links to knights and probably wouldn't want to leave.

The Knights player that was sent off was Tomislav Uskok. Thought he was fantastic last night.

On the ffv radio coverage last night they talked about him and whether he was good enough for aleague, said he has the talent but has strong links to knights and probably wouldn't want to leave.

Don't know him personally, but I know enough of him as a player to suggest he could definitely make it at a higher level. Doubt he will leave the Knights though.

On the ffv radio coverage last night they talked about him and whether he was good enough for aleague, said he has the talent but has strong links to knights and probably wouldn't want to leave. Don't know him personally, but I know enough of him as a player to suggest he could definitely make it at a higher level. Doubt he will leave the Knights though.

My memory is a little sketchy, but I do believe he tried to make off with a Yarraside flag at AAMI park once.

• Like 1

On the ffv radio coverage last night they talked about him and whether he was good enough for aleague, said he has the talent but has strong links to knights and probably wouldn't want to leave.Don't know him personally, but I know enough of him as a player to suggest he could definitely make it at a higher level. Doubt he will leave the Knights though. My memory is a little sketchy, but I do believe he tried to make off with a Yarraside flag at AAMI park once.

... Legend.

On the ffv radio coverage last night they talked about him and whether he was good enough for aleague, said he has the talent but has strong links to knights and probably wouldn't want to leave. Don't know him personally, but I know enough of him as a player to suggest he could definitely make it at a higher level. Doubt he will leave the Knights though.

My memory is a little sketchy, but I do believe he tried to make off with a Yarraside flag at AAMI park once.

Can confirm.

True Until I die

Just out of curiousity, why do you refer to SM as Hellas and not Knights as Croatia? Keep it consistent between the two I reckon, or just refer to them as SM and Knights. I know I'm one of the biggest ethnic buzzkills on this forum, but it falls under TTIM.

Edited by MKD
  • Like 1

True Until I die

Just out of curiousity, why do you refer to SM as Hellas and not Knights as Croatia? Keep it consistent between the two I reckon, or just refer to them as SM and Knights. I know I'm one of the biggest ethnic buzzkills on this forum, but it falls under TTIM.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't aware of the loaded ethic term to use for the knights. I wasn't aware that it was simply Croatia (being a part of the old name). 

Yes, this makes me seem like the biggest muppet with a lack of knowledge in the nsl and of ethnic backgrounds. But I assure you, I didn't mean for it to come across that way.

Good news.

"Corn Dog" & "Slices of Cheese" are back!

Yes folks, South Hobart are back into the main draw.  Listen to the most colourful commentators in the country call the highlights in their last qualifying match:

http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/south-hobart-back-on-national-ffa-cup-stage/o3l1plwqqhlg1nadme1a18xju

In other news the Victorian last 8 are:

• Kingston City
  • Frankston Pines
  • South Springvale
  • Oakleigh Cannons
  • Goulburn Valley Suns
  • South Melbourne
  • Heidelberg United
  • Hume City

only 1 round to go.

• Like 2

Just to clarify: 

South Melbourne vs Frankston Pines

Hume City vs Kingston City

South Springvale vs Oakleigh Cannons

Heidelberg United vs Goulburn Valley Suns

Expecting Souths, Hume, Oakleigh and Heidelberg to go through, all 4 are really strong sides and would represent Victoria well in the FFA Cup

As it stands, the qualified teams are: 

A-League

Melbourne Victory

Sydney FC

Adelaide United

Melbourne City

-

Wellington Phoenix

Brisbane Roar

Perth Glory

Central Coast Mariners

Western Sydney Wanderers

Newcastle Jets

Victoria

South Melbourne/Frankston Pines

Hume City/Kingston City

South Springvale/Oakleigh Cannons

Heidelberg United/Goulburn Valley Suns

New South Wales

Sydney Olympic

Sydney United 58

Rockdale City Suns

Blacktown City

Balmain Tigers

Northern NSW

2 of Coffs City/Edgeworth, South Armidale/Broadmeadow Magic, Jesmond/West Wallsend, Valentine Phoenix/Adamstown Rosebud

Queensland

Brisbane Strikers

Far North Queensland Heat

Queensland Lions/Pine Rivers United

Noosa Lions/United Warriors/Palm Beach

South Australia

North Eastern MetroStars

Adelaide City/Croydon Kings

Western Australia

Perth SC/Gwelup Croatia

Bayswater City/Sorrento

Tasmania

South Hobart

A.C.T

Belconnen United/Cooma/Gungahlin

Northern Territory

Casuarina/Darwin Olympic/Alice Springs Celtic/Gillen Scorpions

Are wellington allowed in it this year?

Nate's list has 33 teams qualifying so there's one too many on there.

10 from A-League

4 from Victoria

5 from NSW

2 from Northern NSW

4 from Queensland

2 from South Australia (1 + North Eastern MetroStars who gained a place as NPL Champions)

2 from Western Australia

1 from Tasmania

1 from ACT

1 from Northern Territory

Good news.

Yes folks, South Hobart are back into the main draw.  Listen to the most colourful commentators in the country call the highlights in their last qualifying match:

http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/south-hobart-back-on-national-ffa-cup-stage/o3l1plwqqhlg1nadme1a18xju

• Kingston City
  • Frankston Pines
  • South Springvale
  • Oakleigh Cannons
  • Goulburn Valley Suns
  • South Melbourne
  • Heidelberg United
  • Hume City
only 1 round to go.

Haha I know Corn Dog. His a City supporter actually.

• Like 2

Good news.

• Kingston City
  • Frankston Pines
  • South Springvale
  • Oakleigh Cannons
  • Goulburn Valley Suns
  • South Melbourne
  • Heidelberg United
  • Hume City

only 1 round to go.

Haha I know Corn Dog. His a City supporter actually. Did you see much of Andy Brennan play for south Hobart?

Saw him play for first time last week, kid has serious potential.

Good news.

Yes folks, South Hobart are back into the main draw. Listen to the most colourful commentators in the country call the highlights in their last qualifying match:

• Kingston City
  • Frankston Pines
  • South Springvale
  • Oakleigh Cannons
  • Goulburn Valley Suns
  • South Melbourne
  • Heidelberg United
  • Hume City

only 1 round to go.

Haha I know Corn Dog. His a City supporter actually.Did you see much of Andy Brennan play for south Hobart?

Saw him play for first time last week, kid has serious potential.

Yep. Was seriously the best player in Tassie when he was 18. Tall, strong, quick and a great finisher. Im really surprised its taken him this long to receive an A-League contract. Good luck to the Jets with him.