Melbourne Football

OCD and similar traits of forum members

sheepdog

Ok, I thought this might be an interesting/funny topic to start a thread about.

I will start it off with a few of mine.

Mosquitoes- Whenever I see or hear a mozzie in the same room as me, I can not rest until I have killed the little fucker. No shit. I will chase the prick around like im possessed. My best one of all time was lying in bed in a pitch black room and using my sense of hearing to locate and proceed to squash it.

When at work at putting my spirit level down/against the wall I have to leave it in a perfectly plumb position.

When placing the teaspoons back in the drawer after washing, they MUST all have handles to the right, to make it easier when using the next time. (Try it, it makes sense!)

When taking my thongs off from having a ciggie on the balcony, they MUST be left on the exact right angle to be able to slip on without breaking stride when I go for my next smoke.

Those a just a few, im sure I do have more which I will update in due time.

Look forward to hearing some others.

Edit: The other I could think of is when using my indicator when driving, I flick it up or down to match the beat of the drum to the song that is currently playing.

Edited by sheepdog
  • Like 4

I feel physically uncomfortable if I see a calendar on the wrong month and I have to change it. Even in the homes of people I have just met. Can be rather awkward at times.

Also every song on my iPod/itunes/phone/anything has to have the correct song title, artist name, album title, album release year, album cover art and genre.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 5

There are certain numbers I "like" and numbers I "don't like", and so things like the volume on the TV, I can't have it on 34 (a number I dont like), I have to put it to like 32 or 36 (which are numbers I like). Though I'll settle for 33 or 35, as those numbers I'm quite "neutral" too.

Fuck, just realised how insane I am.

There are certain numbers I "like" and numbers I "don't like", and so things like the volume on the TV, I can't have it on 34 (a number I dont like), I have to put it to like 32 or 36 (which are numbers I like). Though I'll settle for 33 or 35, as those numbers I'm quite "neutral" too.

this. I can't have the volume on 1, 3, 7, 9 etc. I like even numbers like 10, 20 ect . Sometimes I live on the edge and go 25 35 etc

Ect.

• Like 2

I have a system for listening to music.

Like most, all the metadata must be correct plus every song must be rated. (I set everything to 3 stars when I transfer the music, then adjust the stars as I listen)

In the morning and afternoon train ride I'll only listen to the newest album I have put on my phone. During the day however, I only listen to existing music, but it must start with the same letter as the new album's artist I'm listening to, AND I start off from the song that was last played when I was last listening to artists with the same first letter.

This system allows each song on my phone to have equal listening time and opportunity to improve on its star rating.

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 2

I have a system for listening to music.

Like most, all the metadata must be correct plus every song must be rated. (I set everything to 3 stars when I transfer the music, then adjust the stars as I listen)

In the morning and afternoon train ride I'll only listen to the newest album I have put on my phone. During the day however, I only listen to existing music, but it must start with the same letter as the new album's artist I'm listening to, AND I start off from the song that was last played when I was last listening to artists with the same first letter. 

This system allows each song on my phone to have equal listening time and opportunity to improve on its star rating. 

Fuck me that is intricate

this. I can't have the volume on 1, 3, 7, 9 etc. I like even numbers like 10, 20 ect . Sometimes I live on the edge and go 25 35 etc

Ect.

Yeah with you on this one big time, pissed off many people by making that small adjustment from 32 to 30 or 37 to 40 for example when I am in their car/house. EDIT - Also cooks me when my iPod/iPhone volume isn't on either Mute, 4, 8, 12 or full.

Edited by MaliMate

I delete all my calls, texts, FB messages unless it's something I need to follow up hence leave it there as a mental trigger.

When I walk back into work I have to touch the reception desk with my left hand, really strange habit.

I sort my wardrobe in order from heaviest items (Hoodies, Jackets) to lightest items (Singlets, T-Shirts).

• Like 1

I squeeze the toothpaste tube from the bottom. My wife squeezes it from the top (all women do). I am compelled to restore order to the toothpaste tube after she's cleaned her teeth.

I can't stand books on the bookshelf not ordered left-to-right by size, or upside down or the front cover facing left.

Coathangers on the rail must have the hook facing to the back, and the jacket/shirt with the front facing right.

The list is too long for me to type it out in full. There's no hope for me whatsoever.

• Like 1

I am going to really emasculate myself here but I have to buy a lot of toiletries... to the point that I make sure I have two of every toiletry that I need.

I have to use a very expensive Aesop deodorant because I am allergic to aluminium and I always make sure I have at least two bottles and I use it at least four times a day. I also have to use a specific brand of Toothpaste/Mouthwash which I use three times a day.

I also have to at least two bottles of moistures of a specific Loreal brand on hand which I use at least three times a day as well and a specific After Shave Balm for whenever that I shave under my stubble.

Alongside this I have to have two bottles of Aesop Body Wash and two Bottles of a particular pretty expensive salt spray  hair product I prefer which I use at least three times a day. I also always need to same same antibacterial foam hand wash on hand. I also always need the same brand of a hair flattener product on hand.

Then I have also used the same Cologne for years (12 years) and a I always have to use it at least twice a day... I always need a back up bottle around as well despite it being pretty expensive.

No points for the first person to call me Howard Hughes.

Plus I also these days make sure to do 100 sit ups a day FWIW.

Edited by cadete

I am going to really emasculate myself here but I have to buy a lot of toiletries... to the point that I make sure I have two of every toiletry that I need.

I have to use a very expensive Aesop deodorant because I am allergic to aluminium and I always make sure I have at least two bottles and I use it at least four times a day. I also have to use a specific brand of Toothpaste/Mouthwash which I use three times a day.

I also have to at least two bottles of moistures of a specific Loreal brand on hand which I use at least three times a day as well and a specific After Shave Balm for whenever that I shave under my stubble.

Alongside this I have to have two bottles of Aesop Body Wash and two Bottles of a particular pretty expensive salt spray  hair product I prefer which I use at least three times a day. I also always need to same same antibacterial foam hand wash on hand. I also always need the same brand of a hair flattener product on hand.

Then I have also used the same Cologne for years (12 years) and a I always have to use it at least twice a day... I always need a back up bottle around as well despite it being pretty expensive.

No points for the first person to call me Howard Hughes.

Plus I also these days make sure to do 100 sit ups a day FWIW.

Patrick Bateman. 

• Like 2

My toothbrush must live on the edge of the sink with the brush bit balancing over the edge of the sink. No other place will suffice. Mrs Carlings has bought a toothbrush holder but I do not conform. I have no logical reason for this but it's the way it has to be.  

Always wear my game day socks to footy on a Saturday under my jeans.

See my number system for volume is basically along the lines of 10, 13, 15, 18, 20, 23, 25, 28, 30. The multiples of ten and five make sense to most people, but the 3's and the 8's I use because I see them as half-way between the 5's and the 10's, as 2.5 and 7.5 aren't available. As for star ratings on my ipod every song must be 5 stars even if it's not one of my favourites.

Another thing PPL would already know about me is that I never wear the same trainers or jacket to consecutive games... I consider it bad luck.

I also have trainers that I would never wear to a Heart game and def not a Cats game... in fact I have a pair of Puma Argie's that I just simply dont wear at all due to be linking them to an annoying Geelong home loss back in 2012. I have also retired a few other pair of trainers/jackets from game days for Heart and mainly Geelong for similar reasons.

I also went through a period where I seriously thought wearing the same Timberland Jacket and a pair of Nike Challengers to later rounds and each finals game Geelong played  2011 would win us the flag despite the Media's Collingwood obsession at the time and it actually proved correct.

I remember being down at half time outside the MCG during the GF and having a smoke and telling my brother we that would win the match and the jacket and trainers were a key part of my thinking.

When we did win that Grand Final I automatically never wore them to another game because I did not want to push my luck to far.

I then went through another period where I thought wearing a different pair of Adidas Trainers each time would ensure us a win against Hawthorn but that theory got blown out of the water so I got over it. 

Probably the funniest superstition clothes wise I had (Which Baz will know well) was Geelong had a habit of winning bigger games when I wore a Berghaus Jacket that is actually Purple and looks like a Freo Jacket from far away. I coped a far bit of flak for it from opposition fans and a fair few of the Geelong Rowdies despite them knowing me from the match but it kept winning us important games so I just ended up telling other cats fans that it was lucky... and they shutup after a while. because it appeared to be working.

Of course its luck ran out as well...

FWIW the most superstitious sportsperson in terms of what clothes he wore when competing was Bjorn Borg (A obvious hero of mine) throughout his career Fila and Diadora provided him with clothes/shoes of all types of shapes and colours (Three ranges of Tracksuits/about 20 styles of footwear) and despite the money he was getting to endorse the stuff he would only ever compete in a very limited range of clothing/shoes and only wear the other stuff only for promotional purposes.

I also usually chose to wear Diadora or Nike trainers to derbies and not Suede Adidas Shoes... (mind you its not a hard fast rule) but I used to often wear Diadora Borg's to Heart's early derbies and when tended to perform pretty well in those games so I bear that in mind.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Dunno about these ratings and correct metadata on songs (though I do kind of have the metadata perfection urges, it's just far too much effort to perfect it all with the amount of music I have), but my weird music one is I need to have my playcount kept track of correctly.

This started back in the ipod days as itunes automatically kept track of your play count and synced it between computer and ipod. I ended up being a big fan of having a Top 25 Most Played playlist automatically made an updated by itunes, so when I cbf looking for a song I want to listen to I can just put that playlist on knowing it's songs with a lot of replayability and that I'll enjoy listening to.

So when I ditched my ipod years ago in favour of moving my music to my phone, I actually tracked down an app that syncs my android phone to my itunes, just so I can have my play counts recorded.

When I've switched or formatted my computer, I've gone to the trouble of copying over my itunes data so my playcounts don't get reset.

I also discovered at some point how to use the itunes smart playlists to change my top 25 most played to a top 50.

I'm also in the habit of not skipping a song I've been listening to, but I just swipe the progress bar to the end so the song ends and a play is recorded. Though that's not necessary on my phone as the app tracks any song played through above X percentage, I've set X to 50%. But it is needed on the itunes software on PC because you can skip a song with 1 second of playtime left and then the play isn't counted, which isn't right IMO.

Edited by Tesla

Dunno about these ratings and correct metadata on songs (though I do kind of have the metadata perfection urges, it's just far too much effort to perfect it all with the amount of music I have), but my weird music one is I need to have my playcount kept track of correctly.

This started back in the ipod days as itunes automatically kept track of your play count and synced it between computer and ipod. I ended up being a big fan of having a Top 25 Most Played playlist automatically made an updated by itunes, so when I cbf looking for a song I want to listen to I can just put that playlist on knowing it's songs with a lot of replayability and that I'll enjoy listening to.

So when I ditched my ipod years ago in favour of moving my music to my phone, I actually tracked down an app that syncs my android phone to my itunes, just so I can have my play counts recorded.

When I've switched or formatted my computer, I've gone to the trouble of copying over my itunes data so my playcounts don't get reset.

I also discovered at some point how to use the itunes smart playlists to change my top 25 most played to a top 50.

I'm also in the habit of not skipping a song I've been listening to, but I just swipe the progress bar to the end so the song ends and a play is recorded. Though that's not necessary on my phone as the app tracks any song played through above X percentage, I've set X to 50%. But it is needed on the itunes software on PC because you can skip a song with 1 second of playtime left and then the play isn't counted, which isn't right IMO.

Use Winamp auto tag function. Will go through and match everything; gives you a list and you can approve or decline its recommendations. Is generally spot on.