Melbourne Football

Dean Bouzanis

Parrot

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glover is clearly talented, you don't spend 5 years at an epl system if your not. Especially as a keeper. But he has only played 4 senior games which was at CCM. It would be a risk to chuck him in as he is unknown I think. He could be good, he could be rubbish or somewhere in between

7 minutes ago, neio said:

Glover is clearly talented, you don't spend 5 years at an epl system if your not. Especially as a keeper. But he has only played 4 senior games which was at CCM. It would be a risk to chuck him in as he is unknown I think. He could be good, he could be rubbish or somewhere in between

Probably in between,  and like you say a risk. I think we are basically set with Bouzanis for the season, so unless he is injured or suspended I can't see him being replaced. 

Last season we had 3 decent keepers and now we don't have 1. 

Very concerning. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neio said:

Screw it. Take the risk.

25 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

But what about his distribution! You're forgetting about that guys.

Have you noted that he's changed his kicking style? And in the League match against Adelaide he turned the ball over almost every time.

Just now, NewConvert said:

Screw it. Take the risk.

Agreed. As I keep saying, we shouldn't sign these players if we don't mean to play them. 

12 hours ago, neio said:

Dude was released by the Mariners ffs 

7 hours ago, Chris p said:

Dude was released by the Mariners ffs 

But by that thinking Bouzanis does not have to give a rat's arse about his game because he won't be replaced by the dude that was released by CCM. Secondly, CCM may not have been the right environment for Glover, just like Heart/City were not the right environment for Redmayne. Third it will test Glover - if being released by CCM and a last minute pick up by City does not motivate him then nothing will. City needs to test him out.

Glover got dropped at the Mariners for Ben Kennedy, who was one of the worst regular keepers the league has seen. He was then loaned to Sweden where he couldn't get a game. Just because he came through an EPL Academy doesn't make him any good. There's countless players that leave EPL Academy's at 20+ that go on to play in the non leagues. 

Sad thing is, if Delianov had stuck around and waited for Birraz to be released he'd probably be looking at a starting gig this weekend. 

• 1 month later...

As said elsewhere, costs us 5+ goals every season. Needs to be dropped. Positioning is poor, and half the time he seems to be somewhere else - once he thinks the ball is past him he makes no effort to get to it whatsoever. The GK is there as the last line - your job is to bust your gut to get to the ball however forlorn the hope is.

GK coach needs a kick up the arse too.

• Like 1

What I would love to know is, what did he do over in Holland for those 12 months 

In his last full season here, he was pretty solid. Had some faults and made some mistakes but he also saved out ass on more than 1 occasion. Couple of games he was outstanding 

Then he went away and didn't play and has come back a worse keeper and his faults are getting worse, and he hasn't gotten any better in any aspect 

I think he is very harshly judged by some people, every goal we conceed there will be at least 1 person who blames him in some way, no matter how little he had to do with it 

He has ability, there is no doubting that but he is getting very hard to keep trying to defend. He has to get better and bloody quick 

33 minutes ago, neio said:

What I would love to know is, what did he do over in Holland for those 12 months 

In his last full season here, he was pretty solid. Had some faults and made some mistakes but he also saved out ass on more than 1 occasion. Couple of games he was outstanding 

Then he went away and didn't play and has come back a worse keeper and his faults are getting worse, and he hasn't gotten any better in any aspect 

I think he is very harshly judged by some people, every goal we conceed there will be at least 1 person who blames him in some way, no matter how little he had to do with it 

He has ability, there is no doubting that but he is getting very hard to keep trying to defend. He has to get better and bloody quick 

I've been fair on him but he's had way too many shit moments this season that have been completely his responsibility. Criticism is now 100% warranted I'm my opinion. Not really interested in his ability. I'm interested in the performance he produces. 

7 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I've been fair on him but he's had way too many shit moments this season that have been completely his responsibility. Criticism is now 100% warranted I'm my opinion. Not really interested in his ability. I'm interested in the performance he produces. 

Agreed he needs to cop some criticism for his performances at the moment 

I was more talking about when for example I saw people blaming him for not stopping odonovan penalty against brisbane and that he should be dropped for it

Fully agree that he can no longer get through on ability, he is 29 years old and has to be reaching his peak 

This season is comfortably the worst he's looked for us as far as shot stopping/positioning.

Unlike the last few years where we've generally had serviceable to great replacements in the wings (Tando, Sorensen, Eugene, Birra) we've got a really unknown quantity behind Dean this year. Who knows how Glover's looked in training. 

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

Who knows how Glover's looked in training. 

Glover kept a clean sheet against Brisbane in the Y-League last week. According to the report, he made two really good saves, one reflex save and one diving low to his right.

The big question for him is can he use his feet? Also, he'll need to make one bad mistake every match like Dean does. Just to keep the crowd interested. 

Thing with Bouzanis is that he is very demanding of his teammates. Watch him at training and he doesn't let up on them, especially when they take it easy with finishing.

Yet I'm not sure to what accountability he is made at the moment, because looking at his own performances so far, he really seems to be coasting.

Majority of his mistakes have been poor judgment in coming to collect or clean up an incoming cross. I just wonder how much that penalty he gave away against Berisha 2 seasons back has stuck with him and affected his confidence. Must be hard to be a defender as well when you probably start to lose faith in your goalkeeper. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Majority of his mistakes have been poor judgment in coming to collect or clean up an incoming cross. I just wonder how much that penalty he gave away against Berisha 2 seasons back has stuck with him and affected his confidence. Must be hard to be a defender as well when you probably start to lose faith in your goalkeeper. 

A GK should dominate the 6-yard box. That's his job, that's his territory. No-one should out-jump him - he's the only one who can use his hands.

Bouzanis does neither of these things. He also doesn't show sufficient desperation to get to the ball - even a finger on it can sometimes prevent a goal.

Not good enough. Agree with @Bob Latchford

Deano needs a song:

Stays on his line like he's gotta fat gut,

Back to barber for the weekly fresh cut.

Bouuuuuuuunzanis

When he cops one, he usually cops another,

'bout to lose his spot to big Tommy Glover.

Bouuuuuuuunzanis

Half time Ouzo, we gotta get tipsy,

'least called Besart dirty fkn Gypsy.

Booooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuzanisssssssssssssssss.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was Rafa Benitez that once said Dean was the best keeper in the world for his age. High praise for an 18 year old. I don’t think he’s ever forgotten it. His career has completely bottomed out since then, to the point where he can’t hold his spot at an A-League club over a 22 year old with almost no senior experience. No shame in finding your level, but I get the feeling that he thinks he’s still above this level. Redmayne had the humility to recognise his limitations and rebuild his game under John Crawley at Sydney. Would Dean? I doubt it. 

The only excuse I can give him is he’s clearly just got no confidence anymore. A better keeper would’ve come for that long ball, but a confident keeper would’ve come for that earlier at least and made it easier for himself. Dean just can’t seem to get through a game without making a mistake.  It’s a clear pattern. No confidence, but still a big ego. I wish we just kept Birighitti because every time I watch him, he just looks solid and does the basics right. 

• Thanks 1

He has absolutely no confidence and he is confused and it's showing. Last night if he came early and collects ball, all is fine or even if he didn't come at all, cavallo wasn't exactly running into a super dangerous spot. I think we could have dealt with it. But the fact he did neither and went far too late to commit to either shows where he is at

I for one think he is a competent keeper at this level at his best, which unfortunately he is far from at the moment and it could cost him more than just his starting 11 spot

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, neio said:

He has absolutely no confidence and he is confused and it's showing. Last night if he came early and collects ball, all is fine or even if he didn't come at all, cavallo wasn't exactly running into a super dangerous spot. I think we could have dealt with it. But the fact he did neither and went far too late to commit to either shows where he is at

I for one think he is a competent keeper at this level at his best, which unfortunately he is far from at the moment and it could cost him more than just his starting 11 spot

Pretty much this.

unfortunately he is very low on positioning confidence right now.  Needs to be decisive early, but whenever he is, he’s wrong and it makes him less confident.