Melbourne Football

Dean Bouzanis

Parrot

16 hours ago, n i k o said:

Just watched the replay. Had nothing to do with the second goal and wasn't at fault. First one is what I'm questioning him about. 

Barely moved for it. Both feet on the ground the whole time. TBH, an absolutely piss-poor effort - if it had been say, Redmayne, he would be called a spud.

In contrast have a look at the save by Thomas from Adrian's shot (about 37th minute) last night - almost no time to get a look at it yet beat it away.

• Like 1

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Barely moved for it. Both feet on the ground the whole time. TBH, an absolutely piss-poor effort - if it had been say, Redmayne, he would be called a spud.

In contrast have a look at the save by Thomas from Adrian's shot (about 37th minute) last night - almost no time to get a look at it yet beat it away.

Not sure which goal you're speaking of...? Assuming the first goal seeing as you highlighted that part of my post.

Edited by n i k o

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@n i k o Newcastle's first goal.

Yep needed to do much better in the air when the ball first came into the box. He's not the only one responsible though. Arzani provided no pressure on Rodriguez. Our defense was completely out of position and never recovered properly when the ball was put back in the box. Jameison was central and not covering his man on the wing. Vidosic was left to cover two Newcastle players at the back post. Topor Stanley was left alone and Jakobsen was the only one covering the correct player. Delbridge was non existent during this bit of play too so he's also responsible for not manning up the correct player. 

For me it boils down to if Bouzanis had done better in the air we would have avoided that scenario playing out in the first place. But there's a few players certainly culpable too in their role in the goal as well. 

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Yep needed to do much better in the air when the ball first came into the box. He's not the only one responsible though. Arzani provided no pressure on Rodriguez. Our defense was completely out of position and never recovered properly when the ball was put back in the box. Jameison was central and not covering his man on the wing. Vidosic was left to cover two Newcastle players at the back post. Topor Stanley was left alone and Jakobsen was the only one covering the correct player. Delbridge was non existent during this bit of play too so he's also responsible for not manning up the correct player. 

For me it boils down to if Bouzanis had done better in the air we would have avoided that scenario playing out in the first place. But there's a few players certainly culpable too in their role in the goal as well. 

Very good analysis. 

Too many ball watchers. 

It's taken him 18 months and for the most part I think he has been solid without being spectacular

But I am finally very comfortable with him being our number 1. Tonight was the clear 2ND game we have won because of him, and if you take out his brainfade against victory. He would be one of the better performed keepers since he came in.

Have to give him credit 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, neio said:

It's taken him 18 months and for the most part I think he has been solid without being spectacular

But I am finally very comfortable with him being our number 1. Tonight was the clear 2ND game we have won because of him, and if you take out his brainfade against victory. He would be one of the better performed keepers since he came in.

Have to give him credit 

Am I the only one who thought he didn't do anything special? Don't get me wrong he had a solid game, but I don't think he waa a MOTM contender.

9 minutes ago, malloy said:

Am I the only one who thought he didn't do anything special? Don't get me wrong he had a solid game, but I don't think he waa a MOTM contender.

Imo it's extremely harsh to say he's not even a contender for MOTM. Fair enough I think Buds is a fair choice for a goal and assist but Bouzanis performance was not only solid for nearly the whole game but he stepped up big time when we needed saving at critical moments (the penalty). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Imo it's extremely harsh to say he's not even a contender for MOTM. Fair enough I think Buds is a fair choice for a goal and assist but Bouzanis performance was not only solid for nearly the whole game but he stepped up big time when we needed saving at critical moments (the penalty). 

Agree. I appreciate that the shots were generally at him and the pen was poor, but if a striker scored two tap ins and a pen we'd all be going bananas. Well in Dean. 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, neio said:

It was a shocking penalty, but he still has to read where it was going and then ultimately save it. No penalty save is easy 

He actually went to his left before Maccarone even kicked the ball.

IMO Bouzanis would be a very good keeper if only he could eliminate 1) those traffic cone moments when he seemingly is rooted to the spot and doesn't move ; 2) eliminate those brain fades (e.g "gypsy" and that last minute penalty given to the Tards); and 3) learnt to "read" a penalty rather than just guess and dive. See http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/pks.html

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO Bouzanis would be a very good keeper if only he could eliminate 1) those traffic cone moments when he seemingly is rooted to the spot and doesn't move ; 2) eliminate those brain fades (e.g "gypsy" and that last minute penalty given to the Tards); and 3) learnt to "read" a penalty rather than just guess and dive. See http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/pks.html

Those traffic cone moments are really noticable, even if he dived late wouldn't look as bad, obviously same result but at least it appears like he tried. Most of it though is positioning and reading the game and it's not easy. 

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 Not disputing your statement but I would be interested to see the actual numbers to back it up.

It's only going from pure memory tbh. I recall tando saving a couple and i reckon dean has 4 or 5. Pretty sure neither Sorensen or Redders ever saved one, or even looked like it with us.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

It's only going from pure memory tbh. I recall tando saving a couple and i reckon dean has 4 or 5. Pretty sure neither Sorensen or Redders ever saved one, or even looked like it with us.

@bt50 It's a bit of work but transfermarkt lists penalties missed (but not necessarily saved) and penalties scored for each goalkeeper each season, so when I get a bit of time I'll go through the data and compile the results for our GKs. The list I have is Bolton, Redmayne, Sorensen, Bouzanis, Galekovic - who have I have missed?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 It's a bit of work but transfermarkt lists penalties missed (but not necessarily saved) and penalties scored for each goalkeeper each season, so when I get a bit of time I'll go through the data and compile the results for our GKs. The list I have is Bolton, Redmayne, Sorensen, Bouzanis, Galekovic - who have I have missed?

Tando and also if you'd like to get technical Nikola Roganovic had 2 appearances iirc.

Edited by R410

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Agree on point 1 and 2, as far as point 3 I'd be interested to see what other pro goalkeepers think about that.

Personally, I'd have thought that picking your side early and committing to it is a crucial part of saving the penalty. Obviously there's an element of reading body language, but some of better penalty saving keepers I've seen in my time mainly seem to make a decision and commit to it without second guessing themselves.

Edited by Embee

1 hour ago, Embee said:

Agree on point 1 and 2, as far as point 3 I'd be interested to see what other pro goalkeepers think about that.

Personally, I'd have thought that picking your side early and committing to it is a crucial part of saving the penalty. Obviously there's an element of reading body language, but some of better penalty saving keepers I've seen in my time mainly seem to make a decision and commit to it without second guessing themselves.

I think you will find the decision on direction will come after a significant amount of research on various penalty takers (atleast in top leagues).

Would be harder in A league imo with so few games, meaning less penalties and less data to work with.

• Like 1

I have to acknowledge @bt50's recollective powers. I've been through the data of all the penalties "missed" and "scored" since that first day when we first strutted our stuff in red-and-white stripes. There may have been the odd match played by a GK that I have not listed, but they're not shown as having faced a penalty. I've put it all into a spreadsheet, so I'm going to be stupid enough to keep it up-to-date from now on. You'll miss me when I'm gone.

I've tabulated the number of penalties faced by each GK, the number that were missed (includes actual misses together with saves - unfortunately I cannot find data on actual saves), the number that were scored, and then the %miss. The latter is a measure of the success of the GK when facing a penalty.

A-League matches only.

Clint Bolton: 13 faced, 1 missed, 12 scored - %miss 7.69.
Andrew Redmayne: 12 faced, 0 missed, 12 scored: %miss 0.00
Tando Velaphi: 4 faced, 2 missed, 2 scored: %miss 50.00
Thomas Sorensen: 8 faced, 1 missed, 7 scored: %miss 12.50
Dean Bouzanis: 7 faced, 3 missed, 4 scored: %miss 42.86
Eugene Galekovic: 1 faced, 0 missed, 1 scored: %miss 0.00

There you have it.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I have to acknowledge @bt50's recollective powers. I've been through the data of all the penalties "missed" and "scored" since that first day when we first strutted our stuff in red-and-white stripes. There may have been the odd match played by a GK that I have not listed, but they're not shown as having faced a penalty. I've put it all into a spreadsheet, so I'm going to be stupid enough to keep it up-to-date from now on. You'll miss me when I'm gone.

I've tabulated the number of penalties faced by each GK, the number that were missed (includes actual misses together with saves - unfortunately I cannot find data on actual saves), the number that were scored, and then the %miss. The latter is a measure of the success of the GK when facing a penalty.

A-League matches only.

There you have it.

Wait until you have an argument with him in person. Very impressive rate their with Bouzanis when you look at raw numbers 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A-League matches only.

There you have it.

Funny how my recollection of Bolton being a good pen-stopper is not reflected by the numbers. Prob cos that 1 was in the 3-2 xmas derby win so everyone remembers it.

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A-League matches only.

There you have it.

You must have a lot of spare time at work don't you?

But this confirms what we all knew.

Tando is the GOAT

10 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The stats are interesting, but I think he is one of the worst GK when defending set pieces both from free kicks and corners. He really needs to improve to be a world class keeper.

If he was world class he wont be playing in the A League...

• Like 4