Melbourne Football

Dean Bouzanis

Parrot

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Dean has done something that he shouldn't. And I agree that what he said can be considered a racial slur.

But considering that every news article and sports show has directly quoted the term and even put it in article titles.  Is what he said really as bad as other racist terms that would earn a 5 match ban?

34 minutes ago, haz said:

Of course Dean has done something that he shouldn't. And I agree that what he said can be considered a racial slur.

But considering that every news article and sports show has directly quoted the term and even put it in article titles.  Is what he said really as bad as other racist terms that would earn a 5 match ban?

I think alot of people still dont fully understand the term,  I sure as hell dont. I thought a gypsy was the people on the TV show that live in tents and caravans and dress up in strange costume.

Ultimately it comes down to how offensive it was to besart. I can't stand him on the pitch and he plays the game as hard as any,  but the few times I've heard him speak off the pitch he doesn't seem like that bad a guy (yes I will get smashed for that comment) I dont that think he would fake being offended after the fact just so Bouzanis got in trouble. 

It will be 5 because they don't really want varying punishments on what comment is worse than others.  Eg if someone came out and called Tongyik or geria a N....  this week, everyone would say that's terrible 5 weeks suspension bang.  But for all I know gypsy could be just as bad for those people. 

It's a bad situation that hopefully can be behind us all Tomorrow night 

Edited by neio
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about? Then maybe we should report Kate Cebrano to the police for naming her daughter Gypsy or perhaps ban the TV channel that screens "My big fat gypsy wedding" and label them as racists?

What about gypsy ham?

It's they way it was said repeatedly. 

"F..cking Gypsy" is super offensive. 

On 5 February 2017 at 10:07 PM, playmaker said:

Anyone with a European background and calls someone a gypsy knows exactly what it means, man up you pussies.

As I already posted above.

If you think it's not a racist remark then you should spend a day anywhere in Europe  and call as many Romani people 'fkn gypsies' and see how that turns out. Guaranteed you will be holding your spleen in your hand on the way back to the airport if you are lucky.

Anyway the positive out of this in Sorensen is back so our defence will be more solid as a result.

Edited by playmaker

There's so many things at play here. Fact is that both Bouzanis and Cahill have said things that aren't acceptable to the authorities running the game that they play, and they have to cop the punishments for doing so. Whether those punishments are appropriate is a different issue. Whether the FFA has gone too far with political correctness is a different issue. What other people do with the word "gypsy" is a different issue.

IMO the underlying cause of all of this is frustration with our disintegrating season and our repeated failure to hold a lead when in a winning situation. So the club needs a close examination of itself. However, again, that is a different issue.

Bottom line is that both our players have made an error of judgment and have to suffer the consequences.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

So if Dean called say Broxham a gypsy would it have not been labelled racist as Broxham is of English decent?

Some words are in themselves unacceptable - racist, demeaning etc. But with a lot of other words it's how it is said, in what context, with what modifying adjective, who you say it to and how the recipient perceives it. Call me a gypsy and I wouldn't worry. Call me a f$%* pom and with venom and I would be pretty annoyed.

Whilst gypsy is still a legally accepted word it is now starting to have racial implications and probably should be avoided. To use it with a strong adjective to someone you are making a pointed, vociferous remark to can have only one connotation. Despite being provoked what Bouzanis did was stupid and he deserves to be punished for it.

As for Cahill - what he did is defined as not being allowed in the rules of the game. As an experienced professional he should know better and be able to control himself. Unacceptable.

32 minutes ago, playmaker said:

As I already posted above.

If you think it's not a racist remark then you should spend a day anywhere in Europe  and call as many Romani people 'fkn gypsies' and see how that turns out. Guaranteed you will be holding your spleen in your hand on the way back to the airport if you are lucky.

Anyway the positive out of this in Sorensen is back so our defence will be more solid as a result.

''Anyone with a European background and calls someone a gypsy knows exactly what it means, man up you pussies"

I'm European, but aren't you contradicting yourself here?

48 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

So if Dean called say Broxham a gypsy would it have not been labelled racist as Broxham is of English decent?

How would you feel as a Romany person to not only have your heritage used as a derogatory term but to be compared to Leigh Broxham?

Did you know that there are English Roma as well?

This is a side of history that is not know all too well so ignorance plays a big role in why this is such a big discussion point. The way I see it is you have people who have a very good understanding of where the word comes from and people that are  experiencing this word in its true meaning for the first time.

Behind closed doors racial slurs are said all the time and this will never change. Quite frankly this doesn't bother me too much either. However being a professional athlete in the lime light means you don't say these things in public ear shot. Easiest solution is bite your toungue and call him a cunt is the better option. 

3 hours ago, neio said:

I think alot of people still dont fully understand the term,  I sure as hell dont. I thought a gypsy was the people on the TV show that live in tents and caravans and dress up in strange costume.

Ultimately it comes down to how offensive it was to besart. I can't stand him on the pitch and he plays the game as hard as any,  but the few times I've heard him speak off the pitch he doesn't seem like that bad a guy (yes I will get smashed for that comment) I dont that think he would fake being offended after the fact just so Bouzanis got in trouble. 

It will be 5 because they don't really want varying punishments on what comment is worse than others.  Eg if someone came out and called Tongyik or geria a N....  this week, everyone would say that's terrible 5 weeks suspension bang.  But for all I know gypsy could be just as bad for those people. 

It's a bad situation that hopefully can be behind us all Tomorrow night 

Fully agree with the bold part. I hate his as a player as much as anyone, but I met him last year when he came in to my work and he was a really nice guy. Very highly doubt he would fake being offended to get another player in trouble tbh, no matter how much of an on-field rivalry they have. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Fully agree with the bold part. I hate his as a player as much as anyone, but I met him last year when he came in to my work and he was a really nice guy. Very highly doubt he would fake being offended to get another player in trouble tbh, no matter how much of an on-field rivalry they have. 

Do we even know that he as actually made a complaint himself?

I honestly think he hasnt and that the if it really offended him, he would of raged straight after it was said.

He probably has'nt but the "MEDIA have got there dirty mits into it and blown it to massive proportions. Let's not forget the press Mantra " never let the truth get in the way of a good story" I am in no way condoning what Bouzanis is alledged to have said (remember it has not been proved in a court) but how can anyone even hear what he said above the noise and din that was going on at the time.

35 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

I honestly think he hasnt and that the if it really offended him, he would of raged straight after it was said.

I believe I read somewhere that he had to be consoled by Muscat after the game or something. Unsure where.

44 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Victory made a complaint to FFA on behalf of besart straight after game 

13 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I believe I read somewhere that he had to be consoled by Muscat after the game or something. Unsure where.

That was because he was still pissed off with himself for missing the pen imo. He'd be very aware that if he loses penalty duty then the end will come swiftly. 

Edited by bt50

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

That was because he was still pissed off with himself for missing the pen imo. He'd be very aware that if he loses penalty duty then the end will come swiftly. 

Exactly. 

People have short memories. Wasn't it only the previous derby where Muscat was also consoling a grieving Berisha? It's happened before and that had nothing to do with sledging, just because he'd had a shit game.

So please people, let's not link shit just to make a point for someone who has been a total prick 100% of the times we have played against him.

16 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

He probably has'nt but the "MEDIA have got there dirty mits into it and blown it to massive proportions. Let's not forget the press Mantra " never let the truth get in the way of a good story" I am in no way condoning what Bouzanis is alledged to have said (remember it has not been proved in a court) but how can anyone even hear what he said above the noise and din that was going on at the time.

I'm pretty sure the video evidence is conclusive, even without the sound

even the most inept lip reader can translate what Dean is yelling

8 hours ago, japiedog said:

I'm pretty sure the video evidence is conclusive, even without the sound

even the most inept lip reader can translate what Dean is yelling

Just for your jnformation i am deaf and i do lip read at times and i could not tell what Bouzanis was actually saying but that is not for me to say .