Melbourne Football

Dean Bouzanis

Parrot

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was his best game for us. It's idiocy that he is playing ahead of Sorensen but he is. He was definitely stiff not to have saved that pen. But overall that was his best game for us so far.*

*Wellington were actually very shit and from memory rarely looked dangerous.

9 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

His distribution is his strength, he can make a good save from a shot taken from distance, he did well with the penalty, he is good one on one ... but his command of his area and his play when penalty box is congested is uninspiring. 

Any crosses or corners he is very weak. Agree with the rest.

On 28/11/2016 at 8:32 AM, japiedog said:

Heard that Sorensen is leaving in January, that's why Bouzanis is getting all the game time, to ensure he is experienced enough for the run home in to finals etc

Given that this guy is the worst professional goalkeeper any of us have ever seen, and left WSW as he was 3rd choice in a team where Redmayne was first choice, I would have thought the logical solution would be to play Sorensen till he leaves and then have a new signing come in at the same time? 

Really I'll take anyone,  what's Germano doing these days? 

• Like 2

On 28/11/2016 at 2:37 PM, Torn Asunder said:

His distribution is his strength, he can make a good save from a shot taken from distance, he did well with the penalty, he is good one on one ... but his command of his area and his play when penalty box is congested is uninspiring. 

His distribution is ok sometimes. Yes its probably the thing he is strongest at but that really says more about how bad he is at everything else imo

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

His distribution is ok sometimes. Yes its probably the thing he is strongest at but that really says more about how bad he is at everything else imo

I don't think Bouzanis is a bad goalkeeper (he is certainly better than Redmayne) but I have never understood the accolades he gets for distribution. To me it seems that if you say it often enough it becomes fact. In the game against Wellington he had at least five kicks that either went out or directly to an opposition player and some of his passes to the back line were downright dangerous. I am going to try and keep a proper count from here on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

In the game against Wellington he had at least five kicks that either went out or directly to an opposition player and some of his passes to the back line were downright dangerous.

This! And people cant understand why he makes me nervous and i dont want him in goals! I suppose its my rose coloured galsses that make it look like he kicks the ball out and turns over possession constantly.

12 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This! And people cant understand why he makes me nervous and i dont want him in goals! I suppose its my rose coloured galsses that make it look like he kicks the ball out and turns over possession constantly.

need madachi and bolton back. those were the glory days :P

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

need madachi and bolton back. those were the glory days :P

Sadly yes. That month or so is probably the closest we have ever come to looking like we were playing as a unit. Strangely enough it was a pleasurable experience and i know it sounds weird but i would like to experience it again some day.

On his distribution, I think his good kicks are really fantastic and a weapon,  but his poor kicks are pretty average.

Sorenson is probably more consistent with his kicking but doesn't have the 70 metre lofted ball to the wingers feet which Bouzanis has at times. 

It's a balancing act with getting Dean to take the right option but not taking away one of his strengths

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, neio said:

On his distribution, I think his good kicks are really fantastic and a weapon,  but his poor kicks are pretty average.

Sorenson is probably more consistent with his kicking but doesn't have the 70 metre lofted ball to the wingers feet which Bouzanis has at times. 

It's a balancing act with getting Dean to take the right option but not taking away one of his strengths

That's a risk v reward thing tho isnt it?

Oh and fwiw, the 'Madaschi/Bolton era' produced 8 appearances, 7 if you dont count the cameo off the bench and we conceded 8 times in those 7 games for two cleansheets. Again, we were winning and I thought they were a decent combo, but not as good as the advent of time would have us believe.

IMO, we tend to think it was better than it was because we were on a winning streak, something that was extremely rare, and extremely unexpected in the Heart era.

15241267_10158341387605131_7326775513694480303_n.jpg

Edited by bt50

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

That's a risk v reward thing tho isnt it?

Oh and fwiw, the 'Madaschi/Bolton era' produced 8 appearances, 7 if you dont count the cameo off the bench and we conceded 8 times in those 7 games for two cleansheets. Again, we were winning and I thought they were a decent combo, but not as good as the advent of time would have us believe.

IMO, we tend to think it was better than it was because we were on a winning streak, something that was extremely rare, and extremely unexpected in the Heart era.

15241267_10158341387605131_7326775513694480303_n.jpg

Fwiw i am referring to how we were playing overall. We were far from perfect but we were somewhat organized (at least by our standards). We played out from the back as we like to do but suddenly everyone knew what to do and where to be. And that all starts with a well organized defence which i feel Madaschi had a lot to do with.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Fwiw i am referring to how we were playing overall. We were far from perfect but we were somewhat organized (at least by our standards). We played out from the back as we like to do but suddenly everyone knew what to do and where to be. And that all starts with a well organized defence which i feel Madaschi had a lot to do with.

Yeh that's cool, it all how we see it individually at the end of the day. 'Feel' can be very much based on mood and perception a lot of the time, i guess im just trying to show that statistically there was nothing special about that period, even if it was one of the more successful 'mini-periods' the club has had.
At the end of the day imo we've never really looked terrific defensively, and that can be attributed to our two coaches almost without question. IMO we've rarely had major cattle issues defensively, at least as far as CB's and GK's go (Redders aside), its our defensive structure in midfield under JVS and Aloisi that has been our undoing at the back over the journey.

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh that's cool, it all how we see it individually at the end of the day. 'Feel' can be very much based on mood and perception a lot of the time, i guess im just trying to show that statistically there was nothing special about that period, even if it was one of the more successful 'mini-periods' the club has had.
At the end of the day imo we've never really looked terrific defensively, and that can be attributed to our two coaches almost without question. IMO we've rarely had major cattle issues defensively, at least as far as CB's and GK's go (Redders aside), its our defensive structure in midfield under JVS and Aloisi that has been our undoing at the back over the journey.

Very true, "feel" is one of those ambiguous things that can warp perception over time particularly with an unexpected winning streak. 

Anyway back to Bouzanis. I get what you are saying about him. He hasnt directly cost us many games in the grand scheme of things and is improving. I just find that he takes a while before he looks comfortable and my biggest concern is that if he is put under the pump from the get go tonight he will crack under the pressure.

Edited by KSK_47

@bt50 great call on Madaschi. Our defence was still average with him in the side. Our success during that period was due to our attack, particularly Duga and Thommo. Its no coincidence that the most successful part of the Heart era was when Matt Thompson played as an attacking midfielder. I still get angry when I remember that JVS and JA both forced him into defensive roles.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

@bt50 great call on Madaschi. Our defence was still average with him in the side. Our success during that period was due to our attack, particularly Duga and Thommo. Its no coincidence that the most successful part of the Heart era was when Matt Thompson played as an attacking midfielder. I still get angry when I remember that JVS and JA both forced him into defensive roles.

As someone who spent that season closer to the players than most, i can guarantee you that madaschi had a lot to do with the shift in mentality during that period. Not saying it was soley him that was responsible for our transformation but he definitely made a huge difference.

But we are getting off topic. 

Hats of Deano. Big game and a huge congratulations

Good on him! He has had a lot of doubters, including myself, but he just digs in and does his best. Nothing makes me fall in love with a player more than when they show passion for the badge, and his celebrations in the FFA Cup with the fans and his jabs at Aloisi to back his manager and his players makes me proud to have a guy like Bouzanis apart of this club.

• Like 6

In the space of 10 weeks he has gone from being a complete back up keeper to someone who I think could be a solid first keeper if continuously given opportunity 

Good on him,  would have been super easy for him to think that he would only play the derby but he has put his head down and made it hard to not to pick him each week