Melbourne Football

The Ivan Franjic thread

kingofhearts

17 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

well he is back in training 6 weeks before the season starts so this can only be a good thing

Absolutely.

To be honest I'd written him off for the season based on that medical report, but if he's doing even light exercise now I'd say we'll see him at some point.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Pfft, where did you all come from? There was nothing but hate for him last year 

Not sure there was much hate, but he certainly was underwhelming last season. Fingers crossed he has a much better season because he's clearly best XI if he can get himself back to his Roar form.

If we continue to play our fluid formation of 3 at the back when in attack- where would Franjic fit in? Not defensive enough to be in a back 3 and not attacking enough (In my opinion) to play on the wing. He would be handy on the wing, but I do not think it is ideal. 

RB suits him and that is about it. 

2 minutes ago, millm103 said:

If we continue to play our fluid formation of 3 at the back when in attack- where would Franjic fit in? Not defensive enough to be in a back 3 and not attacking enough (In my opinion) to play on the wing. He would be handy on the wing, but I do not think it is ideal. 

Dunno, potentially we change it up again to a 3-5-2 or a more regular 4-3-3 when he's ready. Will be very interesting.
I think we'll see our formation mix and match from week to week this season tbh

On 07/10/2016 at 10:32 AM, millm103 said:

Don't agree. His main strengths I reckon has been coming forward from deep and the bit of nastiness he brings to the contest. Defensively he has always been a little suspect in his positioning and recovery so a wing back in front of a back three suits him down to the ground. Franjic as a wing back has to be better than Chapman as a fullback although I am not his biggest fan.  

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A-League: Melbourne City fullback Ivan Franjic agrees to deal with South Korean side Daegu FC

July 18, 2017 6:54pm
Matt WindleyHerald Sun

MELBOURNE City’s squad build for the new season has been dealt a blow, with star fullback Ivan Franjic set to depart for South Korea.

Franjic is understood to successfully have undergone a medical with K-League side Daegu FC on Tuesday afternoon and has agreed to a two-year deal.

The 29-year-old right back had one year remaining on his contract at City, with the two clubs to confirm terms on a transfer agreement in the coming days.

The move comes after City signed experienced defender Iacopo La Rocca last week, while the club has also netted left back Scott Jamieson this off-season.

45a4ae8c659cc28323d582dc92a71202?width=650 Melbourne City fullback Ivan Franjic is off to South Korea.

City further bolstered its squad with three teenage signings on Tuesday morning.

Striker John Roberts (two-year deal), midfielder Connor Metcalfe (one year) and attacking midfielder Ramy Najjarine (three years) all signed scholarship contracts.

But the loss of Franjic is a blow to the club’s 2017-18 plans.

He had been training with his City teammates since the start of pre-season last month.

The former Brisbane Roar championship winner was once a Socceroos mainstay, but has not added to his 20 caps since June 2015 after suffering a run of injuries and a heart scare 12 months ago.

He played 39 A-League games in two seasons at City, which did not shed any light on the situation when contacted by the Herald Sun.

“Melbourne City does not comment on media speculation relating to player transfers,” a City spokesman said.

Deagu is currently 11th in the 12-team Korean top flight, level on points with bottom side Gwangju and two behind 10th-placed Incheon.

City still has a marquee spot to fill for next season. It is able to sign two more foreign players.

Star midfielder Luke Brattan, who last season played while on loan from parent club Manchester City, is understood to be more likely than not to stay for at least another year.

Brattan was expected to line-up for City’s first friendly in the Warren Joyce era on Tuesday night, a match against local Victorian outfit Oakleigh Cannons.

mmmm strange move to let him go, considering you want to replace him with another Australian defender. Saying that Franjic was on decent coin. I know people keep saying CFG know what they are doing, but I doubt we have our house in order. We can't even post out the memberships prior to the start of the season or run a fan engagement forum - we are struggling with the salary cap big time.

Maybe we are going full youth now to make cap space for Timmy.

Edited by Mr MO

This strikes me as purely and simply a business decision. Football wise Ivan was set for his first uninterrupted preseason and would be expected to have s better year, but at 29 or 30 and with just a year left on his contract this was really the last chance to get some cash for him. For Ivan's part like all footballers go no doubt was enticed by a stronger league and more cash.

CFG is a business and this decision was about that, (to the detriment of our season)

This forum is fucking aids sometimes.

Look, id rather keep him, buts lets not pretend hes played anywhere near what we expected him to be when we bought him. Arguably would have been the weakest player in our best XI assuming our visas are decent.

The major bonus is he frees up around 300k in the cap of the initial reports are true. Manny and Pierias are both capable at fb, particularly if we sign a quality visa cb to partner Jakobsen.

Ultimately a loss, but only a modest one.

• Like 5