Melbourne Football

The Olyroos (Australian U-23s) Thread

Shahanga

Game vs UAE live streamed here http://under23s.footballaustralia.com.au/article/olyroos-v-uae---live-stream/arm0uhm0pcln115lpjtv47dr8

It's at 3:30am so I can't be bothered to stay up but if someone else wants to please tell me how well we played. Would like to see Mauk feature. 

Edited by icantthinkofacoolname
  • Like 1

What a fucking surprise. Lose 1-0 to UAE and FFA wanking off about "playing well" and "lots of possession". Here's the hot tip cunts, possession means 5/8ths of fuck all if you can't score. Great team selection by Vidmar, most of the starting XI have barely played for their clubs sides while all the blokes getting regular games warm the pine.

How do we manage to accept such mediocrity continually. Bring in some brutal Serbian coaches to get these kids playing winning football instead of trying to play keepings off. Another failed tournament coming up.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2016 at 4:00 PM, Tesla said:

Olympic football should be for amateur players, rather than this retarded u23 + 3 overage players crap.

Imagine the unknown players that could be unearthed if it was an amateur tournament.

Agree wholeheartedly. The players from some of the countries wouldn't even know their own age let alone have any proof of it.

9 hours ago, mus-28 said:

What a fucking surprise. Lose 1-0 to UAE and FFA wanking off about "playing well" and "lots of possession". Here's the hot tip cunts, possession means 5/8ths of fuck all if you can't score. Great team selection by Vidmar, most of the starting XI have barely played for their clubs sides while all the blokes getting regular games warm the pine.

How do we manage to accept such mediocrity continually. Bring in some brutal Serbian coaches to get these kids playing winning football instead of trying to play keepings off. Another failed tournament coming up.

This. Plus they're hardly kids at this age as well, it should be all about results.

• Like 1

On 12 January 2016 at 10:02 PM, mus-28 said:

Goals and wins aren't important.......it's about the performance, so they keep telling us ever since our underage teams became a laughing stock.

I think some people (on both sides of the fence) misunderstand the thing about juniors and winning.

Every game I coached the kids were trying to win, but I didn't sacrifice development for expediency. (Even now I think no one but me realises what I achieved with one kid - she was completely hopeless but keen so I just treated her like all the rest and made sure she had fun, 2 years later she's the best player in the squad.), if I'd just worried about winning she wouldn't have got much game time.

Anyway the older the kids get, winning starts to carry more & more weight. At U23, it's ONLY about winning.

I didn't see that recent game, but as I said 4 years ago on this thread, Vidmar concerns me. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

• Like 1

National Underage teams from U17 upwards should be all about winning, the players should be doing their development at their clubs. When they go into national camp the focus needs to be on the ability to mould a team in a short amount of time into a winning outfit by playing to their strengths.

Development is just a cop out for mediocrity by the FFA. We need to bring in the best coaches we can afford, not keep handing jobs to ex-Socceroos with minimal experience. 

3 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Aaaaand we've failed to qualify again. 0-0 draw with Jordan when we needed to win. Yet another Olympic qualifying tournament where we spent more time passing the ball around the defence instead of trying to create goalscoring opportunities.

Are the Olyroos Melbourne Heart/City in disguise...:ph34r: 

10 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Aaaaand we've failed to qualify again. 0-0 draw with Jordan when we needed to win. Yet another Olympic qualifying tournament where we spent more time passing the ball around the defence instead of trying to create goalscoring opportunities.

We actually scored a goal this time! (Both quite scratchy).

i didn't bother watching any games but it does seem a typical Vidmar performance.

Its hard to believe he's the best choice for that job. Surely we have another coach.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A-League clubs are fuming with the FFA over a poorly timed Olyroos tour of Hong Kong

index&t_product=HeraldSun&td_device=desktop

DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun
34 minutes ago
Subscriber only
index&t_product=HeraldSun&td_device=desktop

FOOTBALL Federation Australia is on a collision course with A-League clubs, after a host of Olyroos were called up for a hastily arranged tour of Hong Kong in a fortnight.

The squad has not been released, but the Herald Sun understands that Melbourne City winger Bruce Kamau, Perth Glory midfielder Brandon Wilson, Western Sydney defender Jonathan Aspropotamitis and Adelaide United full-back Ben Garuccio headline the in-form A-League players called up for the Lunar New Year Cup.

WORLD CUP: WHY 48 TEAMS IS THE RIGHT CALL

NEW COACH: MICHAEL VALKANIS IS ‘ONE OF THE BEST’

Ruon Tongyik (City), Jaushua Sotirio (Wanderers), Newcastle trio Devante Clut, Nicholas Cowburn and Lachlan Jackson and Central Coast pair Scott Galloway and Liam Rose are other regulars who look set to miss their clubs’ Round 17 fixtures.

Brisbane Roar will lose attacker Brandon Borrello for the Western Sydney clash on January 28 and their Asian Champions League qualifier three days later.

A-League clubs had no idea about the tournament until a month ago, before receiving letters from FFA requesting their players be released on Tuesday.

ed05bce7eeaaa575187b3e2d632578f3?width=650Bruce Kamau in action for Melbourne City. Picture: Getty Images

FFA last night declined to comment, but it appears A-League clubs may dig their heels in, fuming at the timing and lack of communication regarding the tournament.

“It breaches FIFA statutes to require clubs to provide players outside of FIFA windows,’’ Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin said.

“If it was a game of any importance the clubs would generally give consideration to release our players.

“This is a meaningless tournament where there is no benefit of any kind to Australian football. It’s an absolute farce that A-League players who are required by their clubs are being required to play when there is nothing on the line.’’

Players’ chief John Didulica said the players had been placed in a precarious position.

“It’s always regrettable when we put players in a club versus country situation,’’ Didulica said.

“The sooner we can respect FIFA international breaks then the easier it will be for all parties in working together constructively.

“Every player always wants to play for their country.’’

b5b649251a298d8a25815650b8cfc239?width=650Perth Glory could lose Brandon Wilson.

The Olyroos, who are coached by Josep Gombau, are due to face K-League champions FC Seoul on January 28, with the final on January 31.

Some players run the risk of missing their team’s Round 18 games too.

The Lunar New Year Cup, which has run since the 1950s, was set to be scrapped after declining interest, but has been rekindled in recent months.

Most of the Olyroos squad, including Kamau, Garuccio, Borrello and Galloway, will be ineligible for the Tokyo 2020. The qualifiers are unlikely to start until at least next year.

FFA wants to use the tournament as a test run for the 2018 AFC U23 Asian Cup qualifiers in July.

Melbourne Victory is believed to be the only Australian club without a player called up.

MOOTED HONG KONG-BOUND OLYROOS SQUAD

Lunar New Year Cup, Hong Kong (25 January — 1 February, 2017)

Ben Garuccio*, Jordan O’Doherty, Daniel Margush (Adelaide United), Brandon Borrello* (Brisbane), Scott Galloway*, Liam Rose (Central Coast), Bruce Kamau*, Ruon Tongyik* (Melbourne City), Devante Clut*, Nicholas Cowburn*, Lachlan Jackson* (Newcastle Jets), Brandon Wilson, Jordan Thurtell* (Perth Glory), George Blackwood (Sydney FC), Jonathan Aspropotamitis, Jaushua Sotirio*, Mario Shabow (Western Sydney)

*Ineligible (too old) for 2020 Olympics

• 5 months later...

For posterity this is the squad:

Player                DOB       Club

Daniel ARZANI 4/01/99 Melbourne City FC

Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS 7/06/96 Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Adam BERRY 20/02/97 Central Coast Mariners

George BLACKWOOD 4/06/97 Sydney FC

Brandon BORRELLO 25/07/95 Brisbane Roar FC

Trent BUHAGIAR 27/02/98 Central Coast Mariners

Joe CALETTI 14/09/98 Brisbane Roar FC

Devante CLUT 16/10/95 Newcastle Jets

Nicholas COWBURN 7/03/95 Newcastle Jets

Thomas DENG 20/03/97 PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands

Scott GALLOWAY 10/04/95 Central Coast Mariners

Ben GARUCCIO 15/06/95 Adelaide United

Thomas GLOVER (gk) 24/12/97 Tottenham Hotspur, England

Jordan HOLMES (gk) 8/05/97 AFC Bournemouth, England

Paul IZZO (gk) 6/01/95 Adelaide United

Lachlan JACKSON 12/03/95 Newcastle Jets

Daniel MARGUSH (gk) 28/11/97 Adelaide United

Riley McGREE 2/11/98 Adelaide United

Jordan O’DOHERTY 14/10/97 Adelaide United

Liam ROSE 7/04/97 Central Coast Mariners

Lachlan SCOTT 15/04/97 Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Jaushua SOTIRIO 11/10/95 Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Ruon TONGYIK 28/12/96 Melbourne City FC

Brandon WILSON 28/01/97 Perth Glory

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Arzani, Kamau and Tongyik all selected in the 23-player squad for the qualifiers to be held in Burma 19th-23rd July. So we won't see them in the pre-season matches prior to our FFA Cup opener.

Knowing our luck... Kamau to do his ACL, Tonyik gets a Germano calf strain and Arzani gets Brattan Thailand Syndrome

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The FFA won the review over whether the U23s could be called up. 

Good whack at Sydney and the FFA at the end. These guys are encouraging clubs to avoid players who could be youth or full internationals and damaging Australian football as a result.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/12/30/ffa-win-league-club-v-country-stoush

Edited by Shahanga

• jw1739 pinned this topic