Melbourne Football

Melbourne City F.C. Match Statistics

n i k o

3 minutes ago, haz said:

Yea only HAL matches, I can add FFA cup matches though

Ok perhaps the site I was on is wrong. Im trying to think of when we've scored these goals later on though. Wellington and the derby were earlier on. The last handful of games have been earlier on as well from what I can remember. 

Edited by n i k o

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Ok perhaps the site I was on is wrong. Im trying to think of when we've scored these goals later on though. Wellington and the derby were earlier on. The last handful of games have been earlier on as well from what I can remember. 

Yea I've only added up the goals we've conceded in the HAL

Thought I would move it to here:

Just for those interested.

Possession stats are as follows:

All games this season.

5 wins average of 56% possession 

3 draws average of 56% possession 

3 losses average of 61%  possession 

If you exclude th 63% possession that we had in our Newcastle win, then in the 4 wins we had an average of 54% possession.

In our losses to Perth, Brisbane, and Victory we had possession % of 63, 61, and 60 respectively.

Another interesting observation was that in the games we conceded goals, 70% of those came after the 60th min. (7/10), 2/3 in our losses and 2/3 in our drawn games.

Are there any further breakdown of those stats, for instance how much of that possession was possession in our own half and how does it relate to shots on and off target? I would imagine that the games with higher possession would show that most of that was in our own half and that they were the games with the lowest number of scoring shots

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

All games this season.

If you exclude th 63% possession that we had in our Newcastle win, then in the 4 wins we had an average of 54% possession.

In our losses to Perth, Brisbane, and Victory we had possession % of 63, 61, and 60 respectively.

Another interesting observation was that in the games we conceded goals, 70% of those came after the 60th min. (7/10), 2/3 in our losses and 2/3 in our drawn games.

I am surprised that the percentage is that low. The team has an unhealthy obsession with possession rather than attacking. The figures again prove that the possession game is not a winning strategy.

56 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Fox Sports had statistics up in the pre game of Sydney and Adelaide. It showed the goals for and against after the 60th minute mark and we're ranked 8th.

2 For and 8 against?

Edited by haz

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 6:04 PM, playmaker said:

All games this season.

Revised to the 19th Jan 2017 (Round 15)

Additions:

vs Perth (draw 3-3), Possession 69.5% conceded a goal 64th minute

vs CCM (draw 2-2), Possession 47.4% conceded a goal 77th and 85th minute

vs WCW (win 1-0), Possession 66%

vs Adelaide (loss 2-1), Possession 65% conceded a goal 87th minute

vs CCM (win 2-1), Possession 63% (CCM down to 10 for 70 mins)

All games this season.

6 wins average of 58.5% possession 

5 draws average of 57% possession 

4 losses average of 62%  possession 

In our losses to Perth, Brisbane, Victory and Adelaide we had possession % of 63, 61, 60 and 65% respectively.

Another interesting observation was that in the games we conceded goals,

77% of those came after the 60th min. (10/13),

3/4 in our losses and

4/5 in our drawn games. 

Edited by playmaker

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Just saw on FoxSports some stats on our current season. We are:

- 10th on completed passes per goal

- 10th in balls in the area

- 8th on completed passes per shot

The stats show more than enough. 

Im starting to think any sexual contact between Joyce and is wife is all foreplay and he never finishes.......

We are, the fans, Joyce's wife!

Shots on target v shots

https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2013/1/17/3880454/a-look-at-shots-on-target-epl

A good article, a player might want to be a striker and has played there most of their career, But actual shot's on target makes a striker potent, chances created is everyone elses work around said player, but if you get a chance, make sure it's on target.

Edited by moops

On 14/12/2018 at 7:35 PM, n i k o said:

Just saw on FoxSports some stats on our current season. We are:

- 10th on completed passes per goal

- 10th in balls in the area

- 8th on completed passes per shot

The stats show more than enough. 

That's why Wazza prefers to focus on something meaningless like possession %. Has anyone found our 'shots on goal' stat, and 'shots inside the box' stat?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

That's why Wazza prefers to focus on something meaningless like possession %. Has anyone found our 'shots on goal' stat, and 'shots inside the box' stat?

No need to bother with all these statistics. Just look at the league table. Tells me all I want to know.

10 hours ago, fensaddler said:

8 points behind Victory. Will be eleven points behind Perth if they win. If Newcastle win we're in seventh. Cos we're getting nothing. 

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

Ridiculous really, considering the team we have on paper. Wellington above us should never happen with the team they have.

Not even one-third of the way into the season and we are off the pace. Remember, we had four points before Victory got on the board...

It's not the names we have. All the other 9 teams play attacking football - even Brisbane and Central Coast. All 9 are focussed on their football, and they're all going to win some matches. We are pedestrian and turgid on the field, and in total disarray off it. We are unlikely to win matches while the club's frame of mind is the way it is.

5 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Ridiculous really, considering the team we have on paper. Wellington above us should never happen with the team they have.

I still don’t see why people keep saying our squad is supposedly so good on paper. With the exceptions of an in form Fornaroli, Schenkeveld, De Leat and to a certain degree Riley McGree - we have a squad full of recycled a league players, European lower league players and unproven youth. To me this season squad is least impressive out of the last 3 seasons, we have recruited poorly. In combination with poor management we are exactly where this squad belongs, which is mid table.

6 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Krishna, Burns, Singh, Taylor their first choice keeper Kurto with D Will off the bench and a coach who seems like he knows what hes doing looks like a better squad than our current squad

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I still don’t see why people keep saying our squad is supposedly so good on paper. With the exceptions of an in form Fornaroli, Schenkeveld, De Leat and to a certain degree Riley McGree - we have a squad full of recycled a league players, European lower league players and unproven youth. To me this season squad is least impressive out of the last 3 seasons, we have recruited poorly. In combination with poor management we are exactly where this squad belongs, which is mid table.

Galekovic

De late         Delbridge       Schenk          Jamison

Griffiths

Atkinson     Brattan        Mcgree         Vidosic

Fornaroli

Squad: Birrigitti, O'Halloran, Wales, Good, Baccus, Caceras, Malik

The squad really doesnt look as bad as what you say and i bet with a different gaffer it would be a great team.

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.fe22798d433c96008087f4e0039ab6c6.png

I've been looking for a way to describe how well Eugene had played this year as a bit of a mea culpa , as I was definitely in the category of people who thought it was just a matter of time until Birighitti took his spot. I was very wrong.

Basically this graph shows two things, firstly we're conceding the least amount of shots per game in the A-League by about 1 per game, which is rather impressive (and a testament to the work of the back four, but particularly the centre half pairing of Bort and Robocop, who wouldn't be far from being our best central defensive pairing over a string of games, with the exception maybe being December 2011 when Madaschi/Hammill looked like they were going to make a good pairing).

The X-axis is Goals Conceded as a function of Shots Conceded, a lower number is better, and the Glory/Victory/Wellington and Melbourne City have the best numbers there (oddly Wellington have a good ratio of GC/SC, but they concede a lot of shots relative to the other teams that are in that upper echelon of teams). This number is related to two things - good defensive structure, and good goalkeeping, so it's probably not a massive surprise to see that each of these teams are coached by three defenders (Popovic, Muscat and Rudan) and a bloke who was called psycho in his playing days.

What separates Melbourne City from this group is the Y-axis, which is what percentage of the shots that you do concede are on target. Our rate of that is ~4% higher than any other team, yet we've still conceded the least goals of anyone in the competition and this is due, in all likelihood to one man. Eugene. If we take this same graph and this time size the points by Shots on Target/Goals Conceded we get this

image.thumb.png.e8c9a98460fcc33860a2c8e1d421f43f.png

Eugene is the only keeper in the league running at an average of >4 Shots on target for every goal conceded (eclipsing that number comfortably at ~4.4). To put this into context, if we were conceding goals at a league average rate, per shots on target conceded, we'd have conceded ~4 more goals this year, up from 9 to 13. 

‘First you need to lock the door of the house, if you don’t, the robbers get in and they take everything. Once you have locked the door, then you can organise and decorate the house the way you want.’ - Claudio Ranieri

So this is good (and odd for us, as Melbourne City/Heart have been many things, but defensively solid is not one of them). How about at the other end of the pitch?

image.thumb.png.b35dc11c94f89018d639d73d9173f2af.png

Not so good. We're currently conceding more shots than we're taking, which makes us and Wellington the only two teams to be doing so in the top six. You can definitely outrun this statistic (see Burnley, 2017-18 EPL season), but eventually it tends to catch up with you (see Burnley, 2018-19 EPL season). So hopefully an attacking player in the transfer window, because we're currently in historically good defensive form, but really need to do more up front.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2