Melbourne Football

Chants (In General)

THB

I didn't know where to post this but considering it's about our Chant's in general, why not post it here?

To begin my 'rant' i'm going to mention the lack of originality in our chants. We've all posted a chant suggestion here and there, some have been originals, not used in the A-League by any terrace & others have been used and died down or are being used regularly whatever but why is it when people like myself & strider (for example) post original chants that haven't been used are getting completely ignored. For fuck sake man we're using chants like the C-I-T-Y-F-C one and it's the Cove's main chant? We're using Manchester City chants that are not generating any noise because they are that fucking shit i don't think my 84 year old grandpa would enjoy singing them. 

Second this the hypocrisy of the terrace leaders, i'm not having a dip at Bearded_Heart or the other terrace leaders but from what i recall or from reading somewhere in the forum, I thought swearing and the use of the word "boys" was not acceptable? Which gets me thinking, is that why some chant suggestions that have the word "boys" in it are getting ignored but on the day when we rip stupid english style chants it's perfectly acceptable? Either stick by what you's said before the season started or start taking into consideration some "original" chants that are being posted on the forum. 

Again I'm not having a go at anyone including the terrace leaders & our capo, but don't say one thing and do another. I'm simply voicing my opinion. We have good numbers in the terrace, the most i've seen in a while being in the terrace since Heart's first season, so let's use it and generate some noise. 

• Like 4

If it was up to me and the capo knows my opinion on the terrace chants, I wouldnt have any of the chants that are used by other terraces in this league at all. For me its a new terrace with the elements of the old guard from the yarraside who were part of it and now part of the Melburnians, but as such for me personally it was an opportunity for us to begin anew.....meaning new chants none ripped from others in this league and starting from scratch. Getting rid of: We are Melbourne, Ale Alou WSW chant, C-I-T-Y-FC Chant and countless of others.

Would be harder to generate original chants from outside the league but the rewards would be greater and the rival terraces wouldnt have a go at us for being lazy and unoriginal in our chants so yes I agree with ya @THB. Should be more originality. But thats me, but yes full support of the terrace leaders and the Capo doing a fantastic job regardless 7 months from starting off from scratch is a hard hard task, its just that unoriginality element in the terrace thats all.

In before @sheepdog says something about why im commenting!

• Like 1

With you there brother.

I may not be good at creating new and catchy chants but more than willing to try.

While I don't mind people disliking it but non constructive feedback is what really gets me.

It does not necessarily have to be totally original, but the ones that have not be used by any other A League clubs will be a good start IMO.

Said this before - I'll say it again... There are many great chants around the forum which will generate a lot more noise than "Knick Knack Paddy Wack" LOL

Tbh there's a reason other supporters don't take us seriously. There you go

Edited by strider
  • Like 4

It's no real surprise that the best chants have always been the ones which are simple enough for everyone to sing which ultimately generate the most noise which at the end of the day, is the whole point of active support. 

OOH-AH ENGELAAR was last season's highlight as it sounded deafening on the occasions he scored, I think we need more easy yet effective chants like that. 

To be fair, ranting at GA aside, New capo has had less than 10 games and things have improved heaps since the Newcastle game. I like a lot of the songs Strider posts but on the other side of the coin when new songs outside of those inherited from YS have been tried besides one or two they haven't been successful. I don't have all the answers but my opinion recordings and a decent YouTube Chanel is a must if we wanna move past the same five songs on repeat.

Edited by thisphantomfortress

To be fair, ranting at GA aside, New capo has had less than 10 games and things have improved heaps since the Newcastle game. I like a lot of the songs Strider posts but on the other side of the coin when new songs outside of those inherited from YS have been tried besides one or two they haven't been successful. I don't have all the answers but my opinion recordings and a decent YouTube Chanel is a must if we wanna move past the same five songs on repeat.

3/4 of the chants on the chant list haven't been tried?

If it was up to me and the capo knows my opinion on the terrace chants, I wouldnt have any of the chants that are used by other terraces in this league at all. for me its a new terrace with the elements of the old guard from the yarraside who were part of it and now part of the Melburnians, but as such for me personally it was an opportunity for us to begin anew.....meaning new chants none ripped from others in this league and starting from scratch. Getting rid of: We are Melbourne, Ale Alou WSW chant, C-I-T-Y-FC Chant and countless of others.

Would be harder to generate original chants from outside the league but the rewards would be greater and the rival terraces wouldnt have a go at us for being lazy and unoriginal in our chants so yes I agree with ya @THB. Should be more originality. But thats me, but yes full support of the terrace leaders and the Capo doing a fantastic job regardless 7 months from starting off from scratch is a hard hard task, its just that unoriginality element in the terrace thats all.

In before @sheepdog says something about why im commenting!

I stopped giving a fuck ages ago pal.

You lost me at certain points such as, having a capo pronounce our internationally known superstar as david viLLa not vee-ah and being all inclusive to women (either they accept the swearing or go back to the kitchen).

Im older now than when I was in my hellas days, to me being part of the "terrace" or not doesn't really bother me.

You wanna look and sound wack as fuck, go for it.

Its no skin off my nose.

Respect to the "core" and "outer core" or whatever names you like to bestow upon yourselves for trying and for sticking to their guns, but for me personally, it ain't my scene. Been there done that.

And personally elieanid, you are trying your hardest clearly, but I will be fucked if im gonna be told how to act or participate in a "terrace" by someone who constantly loses respect with the utter shit they post and who really knows nothing about the history of the game in this country. By you calling me a Bandwagoner really proves my point.

Nothing personal to all involved, youre probably good blokes, but this "terrace" just aint for me.

Simple solution, sing for 90minutes, don't just sing once or twice through it then give up, tell people near you to sing and none of your complaints will be neccessary. You're all on the forum, no excuse for you not knowing the chants and helping out people who don't. If you don't want to sing for 90minutes then move over to the side bays, can't have passengers in the terrace.

Some people don't spend as much time on this forum as others, so assuming that chants are just getting read and dismissed is incorrect really.

The 'terrace leaders' are pretty approachable and easily sighted at the match and at the pub pre/post game. If there's something you desperately want to raise or suggest, why not come up, introduce yourself and have a chat? 

Hopping on an internet forum and having a whinge about things you don't agree with will only get you so far. Especially since not everyone is scouring these threads everyday. 

Edited by King Malta

Some people don't spend as much time on this forum as others, so assuming that chants are just getting read and dismissed is incorrect really.

The 'terrace leaders' are pretty approachable and easily sighted at the match and at the pub pre/post game. If there's something you desperately want to raise or suggest, why not come up, introduce yourself and have a chat? 

Hopping on an internet forum and having a whinge about things you don't agree with will only get you so far. Especially since not everyone is scouring these threads everyday. 

I have done this before, i do it nearly every game, i'll approach our capo and suggest a new chant to try out but it just gets shrugged off? 

So what's the point of me coming to you's to have a chat? My opinion won't be taken into consideration anyway because you's go off and do your own thing, hence why i posted it up here on the forum, so people could see it. I'm more than happy to post it in the public section too as long as my opinion across to everyone. 

And if you think I'm having a whinge then you're clearly misinterpreting my opinion. 

Getting rid of: We are Melbourne, Ale Alou chant

Yeah sure, get rid of the two songs that generate the most noise...

and the most criticised by the rival fans i got mates telling me from rival terraces saying why are we lazy, why are we coppying others......basically they think all we do is steal other terraces ideas and not come up with anything our own

Thats why i was saying if this terrace was starting new, it was a brilliant opportunity to scrap everything (chants wise) and start new. Would be harder but the rewards would of been greater! The capo knows my opinion on this and most of the terrace leaders as well they know my opinion but what they say goes......so in the end I support them whatever they do. Thats my opinion!

Edited by elieanid

Getting rid of: We are Melbourne, Ale Alou chant

Yeah sure, get rid of the two songs that generate the most noise...

and the most criticised by the rival fans i got mates telling me from rival terraces saying why are we lazy, why are we coppying others......basically they think all we do is steal other terraces ideas and not come up with anything our own

Thats why i was saying if this terrace was starting new, it was a brilliant opportunity to scrap everything (chants wise) and start new. Would be harder but the rewards would of been greater! The capo knows my opinion on this and most of the terrace leaders as well they know my opinion but what they say goes......so in the end I support them whatever they do. Thats my opinion!

You care too much about what others think, who the fuck really cares. 

Absolute priority is to make noise, even if it's incoherent rambling it's better than having a quiet, unwilling terrace.

I have done this before, i do it nearly every game, i'll approach our capo and suggest a new chant to try out but it just gets shrugged off? 

So what's the point of me coming to you's to have a chat? My opinion won't be taken into consideration anyway because you's go off and do your own thing, hence why i posted it up here on the forum, so people could see it. I'm more than happy to post it in the public section too as long as my opinion across to everyone. 

And if you think I'm having a whinge then you're clearly misinterpreting my opinion. 

No offence but I personally have no idea who you are. Maybe you've approached the capo on the side, I can't comment on that because I'm not the capo, but I personally haven't seen someone come up to us at the pub to discuss the chants that you've suggested.

So, rather than actually air these grievances with the 'terrace leaders' (and before you say you have, you clearly haven't, because I'm not aware of your specific issues being brought to any of the group's attention, apart from your claimed interactions with the Capo) you feel it's more productive to post it on an internet forum 'so the people could see it'?

Sorry mate, but a topic where the basic point pretty much revolves around 'why aren't you singing the songs I suggest, I don't like the ones we're using' sounds like a whinge to me.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

No offence but I personally have no idea who you are. Maybe you've approached the capo on the side, I can't comment on that because I'm not the capo, but I personally haven't seen someone come up to us at the pub to discuss the chants that you've suggested.

So, rather than actually air these grievances with the 'terrace leaders' (and before you say you have, you clearly haven't, because I'm not aware of your specific issues being brought to any of the group's attention, apart from your claimed interactions with the Capo) you feel it's more productive to post it on an internet forum 'so the people could see it'?

Sorry mate, but a topic where the basic point pretty much revolves around 'why aren't you singing the songs I suggest, I don't like the ones we're using' sounds like a whinge to me.

You might be content with being damn near the worst active support in the league... But some of us aren't.

You'd think a decent Capo would be pretty active on the forum's chants section (aka the first / easiest point of contact between like-minded supporters). Sorry but it is all going downhill.

Chants probably aren't to blame (we only use about 3 anyway) - it is the mindset. I mean seriously, we sing more about the other fucking team than our own. It is like 80% of us are happy with being shit, bland and unoriginal support.

• Like 3

It is more productive, you just said you are "not aware of your specific issues being brought to any of the group's attention" therefore I got what I wanted which is getting the attention of the 'terrace leaders' and which leads me to raise the issue of the piss poor and unoriginal chants we use regardless if it is in pre game at the pub or on the forum, when I went to the youth derby, I was approached about the chants I've suggested but even that got shurgged of and went no where because other than that mention it went no where, we never ended up discussing it. 

Me spreading my opinion across & provide constructive feedback isn't a 'whinge', it's being told straight up that things need to change because it is going down hill, I mean where is this youtube channel with the recording's of our chants?

But if my opinions are going to be misinterpreted as a 'whinge' then don't bother replying because this thread is now pointless as I'm not being taken seriously. 

• Like 3

Im always listening and the recording are going to been done over the break. I will also be asking for everyone opinion on the chants and which ones should stay and which ones should go.

Remember not every supporter is on this forum so some love particular chants and other people hate the same chants. There is songs that no other teams sing that are planned the reason we have held off on these chants are because I have been waiting for the recording.

I dont see this as whinging not at all . I want everyone to voice their opinions good or bad.

By the way a new mega is a must and will be replaced

• Like 4

Im always listening and the recording are going to been done over the break. I will also be asking for everyone opinion on the chants and which ones should stay and which ones should go.

Remember not every supporter is on this forum so some love particular chants and other people hate the same chants. There is songs that no other teams sing that are planned the reason we have held off on these chants are because I have been waiting for the recording.

I dont see this as whinging not at all . I want everyone to voice their opinions good or bad.

Thank you. 

Along with the singing, our actions are very important as well. For example the dale cavese needs to have every single person overhead clapping in the shalalalala bit, and then everyone jumping and waving scarves and flags during the woooooah bit. It really frustrates me how some members of the terrace will just be singing with out the appropriate action for the chant, even if its just clapping! Because it makes me feel stupid when I'm one of only a few jumping around when others just stand there. We need every single person to give 100%!

• Like 1

May as well put my 2 cents in, me and my mates used to sit in the Yarraside, we were there since season 1 game 1, but around the 3rd season mark, we moved away from the active support area because the chants were too British, and any new chants were just unoriginal eg. Heart go marching in. Also annoyed the shit out of us how most of the terrace and the 'leaders' never wore the heart colours/jerseys. I'm not sure what it's like now, but that's why we as a group moved away from the active area and probably won't go back.

May as well put my 2 cents in, me and my mates used to sit in the Yarraside, we were there since season 1 game 1, but around the 3rd season mark, we moved away from the active support area because the chants were too British, and any new chants were just unoriginal eg. Heart go marching in. Also annoyed the shit out of us how most of the terrace and the 'leaders' never wore the heart colours/jerseys. I'm not sure what it's like now, but that's why we as a group moved away from the active area and probably won't go back.

Gigantic Shitstorm XV incoming

lol. Seriously? You moved because someone wasn't wearing the same things as you? :droy: Edited by Demon_Heart
  • Like 3

Remember not every supporter is on this forum so some love particular chants and other people hate the same chants. There is songs that no other teams sing that are planned the reason we have held off on these chants are because I have been waiting for the recording.I dont see this as whinging not at all . I want everyone to voice their opinions good or bad.

Thank you.

That's all right.

• Like 1

lol. Seriously? You moved because someone wasn't wearing the same things as you? :droy:

You must've missed the part about the chants...

Looking at the terrace, it annoys me when half the people involved wear casual clothes, wsw and victory terraces are a see of red and black and dark blue, and it comes across a lot better. Now with city taking over, a third of people wear white/blue, red/white, casual, lost a sense of identity.

• 3 weeks later...

button ups > kappa match replica kit and its turtle kneck

Dunno if this is the place to reply but anyways.....

Only thing I have a problem with in the active area is the swearing. Not that it affects me but I want to bring my kids so they can experience the atmosphere as opposed to the wing.

It's not even the curse words in the chants as opposed to them coming thru the megaphone directly at the fans for not sitting down or singing loud enough.

I understand passion, but why the anger? Is that just how it is?

Only thing I have a problem with in the active area is the swearing. Not that it affects me but I want to bring my kids so they can experience the atmosphere as opposed to the wing.

It's not even the curse words in the chants as opposed to them coming thru the megaphone directly at the fans for not sitting down or singing loud enough.

That game against Perth wasn't my best outing and I agree the swearing and actions where over board. The terrace is ment to be a fun place. I am a very passionate person and I won't stop trying to make this the best in the A league and thats means I might tell people to sing louder or jump. I love everyone there even GA but we are there for the players and need to make as much noise as possible.

• Like 2

terrace probably isnt the best place for young kids mate.. swearing, jumping round, beer showers are common place. that will probably never change. so unless you're willing to expose them to that maybe try sitting/standing in the bay next to 16. its a bit less passionate but they often still join in with the chants. :)

• 2 weeks later...