Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

13 minutes ago, neio said:

Wow, where I definitely wanted some more defensive cover I didn't expect a visa player 

So is this in place of Windbichler or as an injury replacement, or is the Berenguer leaving rumour true? 

It will be injury replacement. The latest squad release for the newy game had Windy listed as indefinite time out ie long term injury list which allows us to bring in a replacement which can be visa if the injured player is visa

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

Why do we do our best work in January ? 

Because that's when the out-of-favour players in Europe and the UK, and other places, are looking for a loan deal somewhere. Won't happen if we move to a winter season of course.

But interesting to speculate whether in fact our major effort in recruiting visa players should focus on January rather than our off-season. Give them a loan deal for the rest of our season and then if they do well go after them for a longer-term contract for following season(s). IMO this would produce better longer-term results than what we do now.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Excellent that we are still looking into replacing injured unavailable players, the ruling is there to be used - so bravo!

After all the criticism I have on the club sometimes, I do get the sense that we take it all bit more seriously this season!!

We did sign Harrison and Maclaren in January last season 

Never seen Hendry play but FMD the Celtic forum do not rate him at all. Consensus is he’s a very ordinary player. Celtic are obviously a different level to the rest but one poster said he’s not at the level of any of the decent Scottish clubs, which would theoretically put him below us given the level of the average Scottish team. 

23 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

We did sign Harrison and Maclaren in January last season 

Yes and?

13 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Never seen Hendry play but FMD the Celtic forum do not rate him at all. Consensus is he’s a very ordinary player. Celtic are obviously a different level to the rest but one poster said he’s not at the level of any of the decent Scottish clubs, which would theoretically put him below us given the level of the average Scottish team. 

Delbridge also made himself useful here, and he came from a considerable low level of football. Let’s see.

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes and?

Delbridge also made himself useful here, and he came from a considerable low level of football. Let’s see.

True. I’m happy to see how he goes in a loan stint first. Picking up a decent foreign player willing to come here for four months is tricky. But don’t get annoyed if he’s not very good! I know you like skilled defenders so he might disappoint. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

He has played for Scotland. Doubt that he's a bunny. And Celtic fans don't like anyone much, do they?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

Generally speaking, no point in getting visa, not enough experienced defender. We should promote our own players, like Good and Delbridge. 

Why not, our current visa player is injured. Generally speaking it makes sense to replace injured players (like for like) especially if most of the wages are covered by the insurance company. Nothing to loose.

Edited by Mr MO

On 18/01/2020 at 8:10 AM, malloy said:

Agreed. We could still be in the hunt for top spot (albeit unlikely to get there) if he had been fit and played the entire season to date.

To be honest, we should have still been in the hunt for top spot anyway.

Even a draw against Sydney and things would be quite different now (three points closer), let alone us winning that game. A win against Victory or Brisbane (games that we threw away) and we'd be neck and neck.

Of course, you could argue that the reason we've had horrible losses like the aforementioned and Perth at home because we ain't Sydney. Now it's fair to say that our mindset is if Sydney's playing Perth or Wellington, we're hoping Sydney wins, because we're playing for second.

6 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

The only way we can close the gap is if Perth and Wellington beat them. So we are stuck between a rock and a hard place... 

Yeah, we always seem to get to a point like this every season. First place no longer a realistic chance, so it's in our best interests for Sydney (or Perth last year, or the equivalent breakaway team in previous years) to win every game that doesn't involve us.

9 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

An empty packet of chips that has floated down from the stand and landed on the pitch would be a massive upgrade on Florin. I’m certainly not saying I want Dario back.

Lol.

Love to see all the super star critics on this forum strut their stuff against A League standard footballers. Doubtless all the clubs would gave their cheque books out afterwards.

PS Flobb isn’t even playing as a 10 so he’d still play whilst you dropped Luna for a Dario.

Flobb might not be a superstar but people should perhaps remember that he is:

1) an actual human being, with family and friends, perhaps some of them read this shit forum?

2) probably 2 or3 levels higher than even the best player on this forum, I know I couldn’t hold a candle to the guy.

Yeah yeah I should lighten up.

8 hours ago, Shahanga said:

PS Flobb isn’t even playing as a 10 so he’d still play whilst you dropped Luna for a Dario.

You do realise we play with two (attacking) midfielders both Luna and Berengeur, they are in exact mirror positions of each other, Luna on the left and Florin on the right. Carbon copy of DeBruyne and Silva at Manchester.

The reason you might think we only play with one Number 10 is that unfortunately Berenguer isn’t up to the role and lacks the drive forward. Because he’s floats cluelessly around in midfield makes people think he’s an CM.

Yes you are correct he’s human and 3 times the footballer I am. He also earns well in excess of 500k a season and that is 5 times my wage and 2 to 3 times the wage of most players in our team. Criticism on underperforming high earning senior players in this instance is completely justified.

I think he’s only here because of Mombaerts and would have been axed in preseason if he wasn’t here.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

Does anybody know if Atkinson wales and Genreau are intending on resigning? All their contracts expire at end of season. They can, and possibly have already, started negotiations with other clubs. I can see Atkinson and Genreau moving on. Especially Genreau who would want more game time so he can stay in the frame for olyroos Olympic tournament. Wales IMO has not done enough to attract attention with goals. Atkinson would do well at a ccm or jets where he would play more. I also suspect Pasquali will try and get over to city for game time. If any of these three U23 leave city would have room. He isn’t even in the match day squads for WU?? He would want to try to impress Arnold and may figure we would take him and Mombaerts would give him game time. 

30 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You do realise we play with two attacking midfielders both Luna and Berengeur, they are in exact mirror positions of each other, Luna on the left and Florin on the right. Carbon copy of DeBruyne and Silva at Manchester.

The reason you might think we only play with one Number 10 is that unfortunately Berenguer isn’t up to the role and lacks the drive forward. Because he’s floats cluelessly around in midfield makes people think he’s an CM.

Glad you brought this up. You are wrong. We do not play with two attacking midfielders, they’re both box to box CMs and both did a huge amount of work against Perth. The heatmaps show this. Both were near the top for us in terms of duels, Berenguer had two interceptions and both had two tackles. With more possession they don’t drop as deep but that doesn’t change their role.

The only difference between them is that Luna regularly presses as a striker next to Maclaren in a 4-4-2, so he ‘rests’ further forward and is in a more advanced position if/when we win the ball. So it’s a bit disingenuous to criticise one for not being as offensive as the other when the system pushes one much further forward when we counter press.

And De Bruyne and Silva are mainly CMs who do their fair share of defensive work, notwithstanding the more recent changes to City’s system where KDB played as a deep lying playmaker. But I won’t really go much further into this comparison because we’re talking about the best midfielder in the world who can do anything from anywhere. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Criticism on underperforming high earning senior players in this instance is completely justified.

I agree. And I don't think anyone is criticising Croissant the man. Not least because he seems to have kept well below the radar since he arrived here. The criticism is about his performances on the pitch, which I for one don't think are up to the standard either in skills or the apparent effort he puts in that we should expect from a marquee player, whatever the circumstances that have led to him being classified as such.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Lol.

Love to see all the super star critics on this forum strut their stuff against A League standard footballers. Doubtless all the clubs would gave their cheque books out afterwards.

Flobb might not be a superstar but people should perhaps remember that he is:

1) an actual human being, with family and friends, perhaps some of them read this shit forum?

2) probably 2 or3 levels higher than even the best player on this forum, I know I couldn’t hold a candle to the guy.

Yeah yeah I should lighten up.

He probably is a real human being, and therefore would likely have the capacity to understand that I don’t believe he is literally worse than a chip packet. He seems like a lovely bloke, but the reality is he isn’t the second highest paid player at Melbourne City to be a good person. If he is reading I hope he isn’t too offended, because my comments aren’t personal they are simply jokes made in relation to my frustration that Florin is perhaps not the best fit for his position at our club.

I highly doubt CFG are readying their chequebooks to sign an unfit 24 year old moron with the coordination of a potato, but that’s not really what I’m hoping for when I criticise players performances. I absolutely couldn’t hold a candle to the guy, and neither could anyone on this forum, but none of us are earning $500k a year to kick a ball around a park either.

I guess what I’m saying is, if you aren’t allowed to have an opinion on a footballer’s ability, why does this forum exist? :hmm:

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Glad you brought this up. You are wrong. We do not play with two attacking midfielders, they’re both box to box CMs and both did a huge amount of work against Perth. The heatmaps show this. Both were near the top for us in terms of duels, Berenguer had two interceptions and both had two tackles. With more possession they don’t drop as deep but that doesn’t change their role.

The only difference between them is that Luna regularly presses as a striker next to Maclaren in a 4-4-2, so he ‘rests’ further forward and is in a more advanced position if/when we win the ball. So it’s a bit disingenuous to criticise one for not being as offensive as the other when the system pushes one much further forward when we counter press.

And De Bruyne and Silva are mainly CMs who do their fair share of defensive work, notwithstanding the more recent changes to City’s system where KDB played as a deep lying playmaker. But I won’t really go much further into this comparison because we’re talking about the best midfielder in the world who can do anything from anywhere. 

I agree your your explanation of their roles. My concern with Berenguer (that I don't have of Luna) is that when he has had clear scoring opportunities, he has not converted a single one. I'm sure why Le Parton is playing him deeper for this reason. he's a squad player, I can't see anything to justify marquee wages. He needs to be an HAL-level KDB, like Ninkovic is, in order to justify a marquee position

• jw1739 pinned this topic