Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Lol @ people not wanting Babalj, or expecting him to come here as a backup.

Would score at least 15 goals a season in the A-League currently.

In the last six rounds of Season 2 he was pretty much the only scorer we had.

I'd back him to score more than Williams or Dugandzic any day.

• Like 1

When Babalj returned for a brief spell, his first game (came on as a sub) showed what he could do at his best. Then subsequent games he went backwards (JA was coaching then). For me he has too large a turning circle and my most abiding memory of Babalj is that he kept on running towards the corners and then trying to cut back in. He neither had the pace nor the skills to execute this move. The A-League has moved on since then and he will flounder. And as the article says he has not progressed as was expected so I can only presume that he has now reached his plateau. The most likely outcome is that he will be a very, very good NPL player but not quite good enough for the A-League. Given that we have a few of those on the roster, I rather let him try elsewhere.

I was always a fan of his as I thought he had big potential. And I've got no problem with him coming back if it is what we need. But just to entertain the thought of him coming back would there be someone better out there with proven track record that would be a definite threat in the Aleague? While other young Aussies that have gone overseas and have continued to push on, he didn't do as well as expected, so it is a bit of a gamble. The other thought is would we have enough versatility when we need it up front with both Kennedy and Babalj not being the best athletes out there?

AZ has had 5 different managers since Babalj joined the club in April 2013. So don't judge Babalj too heavily over his time at AZ, as the whole club has been in a messy state of upheaval during his time there.

And on this "so good he couldnt make it in Europe" criticism, it seems like such a silly and misplaced criticism to me. Not only is there context that explains away Babalj's playing history at AZ and Red Star (as we all know, Red Star majority stuffed things up), but it doesn't matter how Babalj went in Europe, because Babalj would be playing in Australia and the A-League. Nathan Burns also flopped in Europe (in the easier location of Greece) and Asia as well, and Burns is easily the A-League's top goal-scorer this season, and one of the league's best players.

So I have no doubt that Melbourne City should welcome Babalj back with open arms, if the club can get him (that doesn't mean that the club shouldn't also strengthen the defence BTW. I want the club's next signing to be a LB). 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Was frustrating as hell at times but still the second best striker we've ever had behind the great man Sibon. Would give my left nut to have him back. Absolute champ.

I find it fascinating that some people don't want him back, yet we put up with crap like Williams and Dugandzic season after season.

Eli turns 23 in February, and there's still time to improve his game with good coaching. Maybe he just is the counterweight that we need to play alongside Kennedy.

• Like 1

So much potential. If he had Aziz's determination he could be a regular Socceroo, but he strikes me as a Balotelli type who will never fulfill his potential.

Given a good #10 and wingers he could be lethal in the A-League. He spent much of his time bereft of decent supply and support.

• Like 1

Would legit take Eli over Kennedy. The kid is ridiculously good at a-league level. Whoever said they think he will be a good NPL player and nothing more needs their head checked. Unless the vic NPL is infinitely better than the WA NPL (I assume it is better but not that much), a player as good as Babalj should never go near the state leagues.

Was frustrating as hell at times but still the second best striker we've ever had behind the great man Sibon. Would give my left nut to have him back. Absolute champ.

I find it fascinating that some people don't want him back, yet we put up with crap like Williams and Dugandzic season after season.

Eli turns 23 in February, and there's still time to improve his game with good coaching. Maybe he just is the counterweight that we need to play alongside Kennedy.

If some of our other positions weren't so vital hell yeah I'd want him back. Better than Williams and Dugnadzic.

Would legit take Eli over Kennedy. The kid is ridiculously good at a-league level. Whoever said they think he will be a good NPL player and nothing more needs their head checked. Unless the vic NPL is infinitely better than the WA NPL (I assume it is better but not that much), a player as good as Babalj should never go near the state leagues.

Seriously?

I'm not saying Babalj is bad but come on.

Kennedy will be injured half the time he is with us (1 and a half seasons). The a-league has shown it isn't a retirement league. Eli has something to prove and a career to play for with no injury concerns and wouldn't take a marquee spot. So yes serious. Never said Eli is better than Kennedy when both are fit but I think would provide more for the club. Plus he's one of our own!

Hopefully I'm proved wrong and Kennedy dominates and stays injury free.

But we already tried the Babalj homecoming experience where he was given the opportunity to return from Europe and prove himself again and he didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I just don't think he's what we need at the moment, at all.

• Like 1

But we already tried the Babalj homecoming experience where he was given the opportunity to return from Europe and prove himself again and he didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I just don't think he's what we need at the moment, at all.

Maybe not Eli specifically but we definitely need another striker.

I'd explore all other striker options before reaching out to Eli

Scouts are great for our international spots. But 90% of our squad is Australian and I doubt they will unearth an Aussie that no one has ever heard of who is better than Babalj. All Aussie clubs are dealing with known quantities as any kid with half a degree of talent is spotted either by Australian clubs or European clubs from an early age.

The improvement city can bring to our squad is youth development and attracting the better young Aussies and then being able to hold on to them for a few more seasons than we would be able to as Heart.

• Like 2

Scouts are great for our international spots. But 90% of our squad is Australian and I doubt they will unearth an Aussie that no one has ever heard of who is better than Babalj. All Aussie clubs are dealing with known quantities as any kid with half a degree of talent is spotted either by Australian clubs or European clubs from an early age.

The improvement city can bring to our squad is youth development and attracting the better young Aussies and then being able to hold on to them for a few more seasons than we would be able to as Heart.

I concur with your view that CFG scouts are unlikely to unearth a new Australian talent. But what they could do is keep tabs on Australians playing outside Australia much more readily and to greater effect than our coaches can from Latrobe HQ. So I see that they still have a role to play in recruiting Australians for our squad.

Eli to come back has a big yes from me

Funnily enough I saw him sitting in the corporate seats talking to Hoffman at the Perth game so he has obviously been in contact with the club.

Surely you're just pulling our leg!?!

Talking or having a whinge?

• Like 3

Give me a defender over Eli, only if we got rid of Ramsay, mate and Williams I would take him back. Got too many problems at the back to be looking at another attacker.

Of course a defender would be top priority, but if we had the ability to fit another forward into the mix, Babalj would be just about the first name on my list.

Eli to come back has a big yes from me

Funnily enough I saw him sitting in the corporate seats talking to Hoffman at the Perth game so he has obviously been in contact with the club.

Surely you're just pulling our leg!?! Talking or having a whinge?

Questioning whether he's pulling our leg or not...

• jw1739 pinned this topic